Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cricket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cricket - 24/7/2008 5:15:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What do people think about video evidence in cricket and players challenging decisions? I really like the sound of it

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/dilshan-makes-cricket-history-876267.html

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 61
RE: Cricket - 25/7/2008 9:43:34 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What do people think about video evidence in cricket and players challenging decisions? I really like the sound of it

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/dilshan-makes-cricket-history-876267.html

Its a fantastic idea and seems to be working very well in the Sri Lanka v India test in Colombo at the moment - an appeal against a catch decision yesterday made history when the third umpire overturned the decision.

Hopefully it will make its way into international cricket long term now perhaps starting with the Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September if that still goes ahead.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 62
RE: Cricket - 25/7/2008 10:59:50 PM   
Goodfella

I can't beleive the selector numpties are considering dropping Broad for Harmison next week. Fair enough about bringing Harmy back in after his county form but don't drop Broad!? Headingley was his ONLY under average test. In both test cricket and ODI he's been superb with both bat and ball and now we're going to give him the boot!

Perhaps Geoff Miller wants to come public at the same time and tell us all while Michael Vaughan is still in the side other than "because he's captain."

Twenty20 finals day at the Rose Bowl tommorow. I was going but I can't get the time of work. Essex to win it for me although Durham have a huge oppurtunity with the England class of Collingwood and Harmison in their team.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 63
RE: Cricket - 26/7/2008 10:19:44 AM   
ray_likethefish

The squad should have been announced by now, does anybody know it?

Please tell me Broard hasn't been dropped, i'll throw a particularly girly hissy fit is he's been replaced!

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 64
RE: Cricket - 26/7/2008 11:41:02 AM   
Goodfella

At the moment its a 13-man squad so we won't find out the fielded eleven till there at Edgbaston on Wednesday morning. Harmison is back in the side alongside Sidey who's back from injuiry and Collingwood has been recalled while suprise, suprise there's no place for Pattinson.

Squad:

Vaughan (captain), Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood, Ambrose (wkt), Flintoff, Anderson, Broad, Panesar, Sidebottom, Harmison

(in reply to ray_likethefish)
Post #: 65
RE: Cricket - 26/7/2008 11:57:58 AM   
ray_likethefish

That looks like the side i think more sane people would have selected, but after the last test i don't think anybody could really tell what direction this squad was going to take.

I know people have been calling for Ambrose's head as his batting hasn't been up to scratch, and that is really true, but at the rate Broad has been improving, does anybody else think that in the future he could take the #6 spot and that takes teh pressure off Ambrose, putting him lower down the order allowing him to have a bit more of a slog. A tail of 6: Broad, 7: Flintoff & 8: Ambrose wags quite nicely to me. Although I would suggest trying it just yet, give Broad a few more Tests yet to really hit his stride with the bat.

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 66
RE: Cricket - 26/7/2008 12:25:34 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: ray_likethefish

That looks like the side i think more sane people would have selected, but after the last test i don't think anybody could really tell what direction this squad was going to take.

I know people have been calling for Ambrose's head as his batting hasn't been up to scratch, and that is really true, but at the rate Broad has been improving, does anybody else think that in the future he could take the #6 spot and that takes teh pressure off Ambrose, putting him lower down the order allowing him to have a bit more of a slog. A tail of 6: Broad, 7: Flintoff & 8: Ambrose wags quite nicely to me. Although I would suggest trying it just yet, give Broad a few more Tests yet to really hit his stride with the bat.

Broad should definitely stay in the test side as he seems to be improving with every game but I'm happy to see him stay at eight as he seems to surprise bowlers with his batting abilities. It can really rack up a good late score for us.

My mate thinks we should look at dropping one of Strauss or Cook as neither breed that much confidence and then look at moving Vaughan up to open as he seems to fall very early and it won't matter so much then as then the pressure won't all be on KP facing the new ball. Just a theory.

Shah or Key to replace him at 3 or just keep Colly in the squad so something like this....

Vaughan, Cook (best option in my mind), Shah/Key/Pietersen, Pietersen/Bell, Bell/Collingwood, Collingwood/Flintoff etc.

Basically every one comes one forward or we bring in a new number three. Get the idea.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 26/7/2008 12:37:35 PM >

(in reply to ray_likethefish)
Post #: 67
RE: Cricket - 29/7/2008 9:50:30 PM   
Goodfella

Anybody here read The Wisden Cricketer - they had a great feature this month on wicket-keepers in England. It actually turns out that Chris Read is our best WK after analysis of his batting averages (including missed chances and leg byes which is interesting) and his competency with the gloves - Paul Nixon who was laughed off the England stage virtually isn't far behind either and like was already pointed, current outside favourite Phil Mustard has a very poor batting average.

Broad has been dropped tommorow due to "fatigue" (it damn well better be Mr Miller!) and Harmison has missed out on recall so presumably its all about the bat tommorow with a strong middle order of Bell, Collingwood and Flintoff. Supposedly.

Touch on county cricket for a sec and my boys Somerset who look like they stand a real chance of landing both the county title and the Pro40. Trescothick and Langer best opening partnership in the league at the moment? Charl Willoughby is a bowling dream and when your back up is a man like Andy Caddick you just can't go wrong can you? Ironic note on how England fucked him around.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 68
RE: Cricket - 30/7/2008 11:40:11 AM   
Goodfella

No surprise we decided to bat this morning considering our line-up.

A lot is certainly resting on the shoulders of Ryan Sidebottom and Jimmy Anderson in this test. 22-0 at the moment.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 69
RE: Cricket - 30/7/2008 1:34:44 PM   
dh_19

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Anybody here read The Wisden Cricketer - they had a great feature this month on wicket-keepers in England. It actually turns out that Chris Read is our best WK after analysis of his batting averages (including missed chances and leg byes which is interesting) and his competency with the gloves - Paul Nixon who was laughed off the England stage virtually isn't far behind either and like was already pointed, current outside favourite Phil Mustard has a very poor batting average.

I read Wisden every now and then when i'm waiting for the train. On current form, i can't see how anyone can argue against Foster being the best gloveman in the country so he'd be my pick. I know you're a fan of Mustard and despite his modest batting average he'd be my second choice. He's a good keeper and technically, his batting looks pretty solid. Being involved in the England set up and working with Andy Flower could hopefully see an improvement (Shane Warne did say he is our best wicketkeeper batsmen sometime last season).

I don't think returning to Prior would be a good decision. There was some stat showing he dropped 7 or 8 catches off Sidebottom alone so i don't think the extra runs he'd make with the bat make up for the byes and runs scored from his poor keeping.

Well, there's my two cents...

P.S. Another shit morning for us!

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 70
RE: Cricket - 30/7/2008 10:06:31 PM   
Goodfella

If I was Michael Vaughan I would be very careful about what I say about future England selections as he must now rate as the highest player who really should be dropped and once again its proved that we should stop all this bowler analysis and start taking a look at our batsmen. Sure our bowlers can be a bit in-consistent and have the odd dreadful test but on the whole are a pretty decent bunch - Sidebottom one of the best left-handers in the game, Anderson with his big-wicket hauls, Broad and his powerful accuracy, Panesar and his run-away spin routs and obviously Flintoff. Add those waiting in the wings - Harmison, Hoggard, Tremlett, Swann, Wright, Mahmood etc.

Batting on the other hand sees frequent in-competency and the dominoe effect where one of the top three go early and the rest follow suit precisely. Colly had a chance to redeem himself today and did he take it no - he's no 6 and he made 4. Strauss once again failed to get even close to a half century (what chance do we have against the Ozzies next year when they're counter to that is Matthew Hayden?) and as for Vaughan - well we all know the only reason he's still in the team and KP pays the price for it as well although to be fair he needs to get out of ODI mode at the moment.

I've got two days off work now so I'll be round my mate's watching it. We now have the big task of getting rid of Neil McKenzie, Hasmal Amal, Jacques Kallis and AB De Villiers before they make roughly another 150 runs. Easy peasy.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 71
RE: Cricket - 31/7/2008 3:27:57 AM   
JamesMcManus1

On the whole wicket-keeper debate i think Reed or Foster look our safest bets, both decent batsmen and far superior glovemen than this bunch of hackjobs that have recently worn the shirt.

Nixon- Ok behind the stumps, very vocal and handy with the bat...would be worth a try but for his age.
Prior - Lets way tomuch get past him in the way of wides and byes and his batting is inconsistent.
Ambrose- Better than priorbehind the stumpsbut apart from a decent shot through mid-wicket off the back foot doesn'thave much else, i expected more of him to be honest.
Mustard- Seems to be ok at both but not a test or even international standard player in my eyes.

Its a shamethat Reed has beenmucked about by england, it seems everyone barring the selectors think he should get the nod but seeing as he's captain of nottinghamshire now it seems unlikely that he will get another chance for the forseeable future.
Foster is seen as being too defensive a batsmen, but right now i'd love a defensive batsmen who can actually hang around more than an hour. Our most defensive batsmen Cook is in decent touch whereas attackers like Pietersen are struggling recently.

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 72
RE: Cricket - 1/8/2008 7:28:57 PM   
Goodfella

Tactics is not a word greatly used in cricket, made very clear by England's batting display this afternoon. When you are chasing a small score like we ourselves were today but are in our second innings with the opposition still to bat again its vital the basic batting rules are followed.

The opening batsmen need to come out and play it safe, they are not there to play like ODI batsmen in the opening six overs, let the bowlers un-freshen and let the new ball lose its shine and then once settled in (when we're roughly in the 30s) they can begin to open up a bit and push through the ball and try and get those big runs that make them opening batsmen. The third batter's job is to do the same after the fielding side get all excited when they take the first wicket, basically bring them down to earth a bit. That leaves number four through the middle order as the ones who can walk in and try and get the run rate up - proven by the fact our best batsmen bats at four.

So well done England for completely NOT following those tactics this afternoon. Up against a pacey SA bowling attack who just love to pitch the ball up if you're going to topside it you might as well stand on your wicket (well Strauss does that anyway...). I couldn't beleive the foolish batting today especially by Cook and Bell who were guilty of some truly dreadful shots at the worst point in the game.

We've closed on 296-6 with Collingwood saving our skins (and his own after that paltry 4 and that dropped catch) for now with a resiliant century but Freddie's gone for a two-ball duck although, of all people, Tim Ambrose is still holding out as a good batting partner for Colly because we all know once he's gone its a ticking clock till game over. If he doesn't go first Colly will have to adopt Mark Boucher's approach and go hit and hope. If you want to know why thank Geoff Miller for leaving Stuart Broad out because he could turn out to be a vital missing component. Fatigue yet seven wickets for Notts, interesting fatigue that is.

As for Michael Vaughan. Well first of all, no question, Vaughan is one of our best captains of all time. His field changes and his un-questionable dedication to his captaincy cannot be brushed aside but he is under a very dark cloud after this test series and it won't be helped for him by some of the current county scores. To name a few - Michael Carberry (Hampshire), Rob Key (Kent), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Joe Denly (Kent), Graham Napier (Essex) - all these are on very solid form at the moment and will be knocking on the door and it doesn't help Vaughan that he seems happy to open it for them. The fact is come October and the winter tour of India that squad must be, bar injuiries and revolution players, as close to the Ashes squad as we can get as you cannot disrupt the team by making changes for the Sri Lanka/Bangladesh tour here next summer that takes place just before the Ashes starts.

Get rid of Strauss though - he's not batted the same since Trescothick retired. Three first-class centuries in three years for our opening batsmen is nowhere near good enough and with the current promise in county cricket this simply cannot be ignored. As for the ridiculous people who think he should be captain, they need to start watching cricket. KP is the next England captain, he just needs more experice as VC and he will replace Vaughan when the time is right.

Andre Nel made me laugh this afternoon, what a buffoon. Well done KP for not letting him stir him up, instead just sending him running after the little red ball.

Last point - stunning bowling though especially considering we missed a fourth strike bowler. Great catch by Jimmy Anderson - probably our best fielder and as for Freddie - well he really seemed riled up and wouldn't leave that offstump alone - cracking bowling. Sidey had a right to be angry at Monty for that dropped catch, he's a consistent offender and at that point in the game against tail-enders you can't afford to be leaking runs and then missing simple outs. Cookie should have gone this morning lbw but we were owed that after the Lord's test.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 1/8/2008 7:33:09 PM >

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 73
RE: Cricket - 2/8/2008 11:49:07 PM   
boaby

Missed the cricket today 'cos of work.

Well done SA though. Deserved winners I thought.

As GF says some of the batting by England was very poor. I doubted whether England could take the 20 wickets with just 4 bowlers. However, there is doubt they would have. It was the dire batting that cost them the win.

Nel is an entertaining watch. One of those who hold nothing back. His antics are just his way of trying to put batsmen out of their comfort-zone. Just as KP does by walking down the wicket and trying to hit near enough everything through mid-wicket (why Smith is reluctant to fill that space I have no idea).

Some impressive catches in that match. Boucher, Vaughan, Anderson, Amla and Kallis off the top of my head. Love a good catch.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 74
RE: Cricket - 3/8/2008 12:05:41 AM   
Goodfella

No real suprise though we pushed them a long way - apparently it was the highest score ever to be achieved in a second innings of cricket when chasing - apparently that is...

The reality is our batting hasn't matched anywhere close to theirs and alongside that the selectors and media have spent too much time worrying about the bowling instead. If you level it up - Cook, Strauss and Vaughan against Smith, McKenzie and Amla it just doesn't come anywhere close and if we're to build our game ahead of Australia we are going to have to make some important and difficult changes.

We do now have one luxury in that the Oval test offers us the chance to make some changes without the harassment that comes with them usually. We need to remember the ODI's and send the likes of Sidey and Anderson back to the counties to keep their hands in but not risky injuiry and overplay. Harmison will most likely come in and I would certainly bring back Broad for his batting as well as we are playing for pride. I would seriously consider dropping Strauss, pushing Vaughan up the order and bringing someone like Shah or Bopara in at three. Let's unsettle a few players and make them work for their places on the Indian tour and inevitably here in the summer - Strauss would be a good drop as he won't play ODI's anyway unless several are injuired.

I wouldn't mind seeing Graeme Swann given some test cricket ahead of Monty either although the latter did carve up a few today although since it was his innings he could have done more. Swanny can also bat pretty well on his day as well and it would be a huge stage for him. Also, shock horror, what about bringing Pattinson back in? Really, what did he do so wrong and the pressure will be off now.

Anyway my squad would be...

Cook, Vaughan (c), Shah, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood, Flintoff, Ambrose (wkt), Broad, Harmison, Swann

quote:

Nel is an entertaining watch. One of those who hold nothing back. His antics are just his way of trying to put batsmen out of their comfort-zone. Just as KP does by walking down the wicket and trying to hit near enough everything through mid-wicket (why Smith is reluctant to fill that space I have no idea).

Smith is a sometimes lazy captain. He's very vocal and pulling the changes when SA are doing well but when its all going wrong the cap comes down and the shades go on. Him and Mickey Arthur are a match made in heaven, they are both awfully arrogant but you can't help have a phenomonal amount of respect for them.

Dale Steyn and his stare is my favourite South African. Be interesting to see if he comes back in for the fourth test now following injuiry. Did make me laugh on Sky Sports though when he said his place in the side wasn't guranteed. Second best pace bowler in the world behind Brett Lee, give me a break.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 3/8/2008 12:10:13 AM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 75
RE: Cricket - 3/8/2008 10:03:49 PM   
Goodfella

Well I'm going to pay my respects to Michael Vaughan. Five years under the Yorkshire opener and we've had the odd moment of madness and sheer dreadfulness but we won the fabled Ashes series back under him. I don't think players like Freddie and the likes of Broad and Anderson recently would have done as well as they have had without his guidance and experience. He steps down on a high (forget the SA test, we've had worst and most won't remember that anyway) and he's made a very noble but right choice. I for one wish him the best of luck and hope one day to see him sitting in the coaches box at the likes of Lords and Trent Bridge, perhaps as manager. Cheers Mikey, we won't forget the Freddie ears moment for sure! You did us proud.

Now let's piss Smith off big time and give the job to KP!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 76
RE: Cricket - 4/8/2008 12:04:17 PM   
Skiba

It's been a great 5 years for the most part culminating in the Ashes in 2005 obviously but he really built on the work Nassar did to change English cricket and took it a massive leap further...maybe now he can get back to being the top-class batsman he is

I think KP is the only choice as he's pretty much the only senior/established player who is guranteed a place really

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 77
RE: Cricket - 4/8/2008 12:16:16 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Vaughn's been a great captain but his knee injury shafted him and his batting suffered which is a real shame. Not sure who to make captain - are we just going to curse another top batsman with the pressure? Maybe Pietersen can handle it

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 78
RE: Cricket - 4/8/2008 12:36:53 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Vaughn's been a great captain but his knee injury shafted him and his batting suffered which is a real shame. Not sure who to make captain - are we just going to curse another top batsman with the pressure? Maybe Pietersen can handle it

Good point and exactly the reason Strauss must not get the job, he needs to work on seriously improving his batting performance as it is without the added pressure of being team captain. Announcement is in about 25 minutes and it looks like KP will get both roles. I imagine Cook will be made VC for the test squad and perhaps Bell for the one-day side.

I booked my Ashes tickets yesterday. Going to the Edgbaston test, sixty quid a day is pretty good for test cricket and we're using the caravan so accomodation won't be too much. I'm also off on the West Indies tour next year. There's a great deal by a sports company that includes a cruise and tickets to the second test in Antigua. Well worth looking into.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 4/8/2008 12:43:03 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: Cricket - 4/8/2008 12:45:47 PM   
JamesMcManus1

Vaughan's been a great captain and ambassador for english cricket over the years and his decision to step aside is admirable...it'll give the next guy enough time to bed in hopefully.

As for the next side, i'd like to see Shah brought in for Vaughan, but as Goodfella suggested Bopara....just don't think he's ready yet, he's technically not strong enough for test cricket and won't be able to construct any innings of any note, sure put him in the one day side but definitely not no.3 in the test team. I'd like to see Simon Jones restored to the test team rather than Harmsion and Broad brought in for Sidebottom who just doesn't like fit to me at the moment and he never looks dangerous when bowling. Anderson has been expensive(as ever) but to change to much in one test might be a step to far but i'd say he's on borrowed time.

My team would be -
Cook, Strauss, Pieterson,Bell,Shah,Collingwood,Flintoff,Ambrose,Broad,S Jones,Anderson,Panesar

My ideal Ashes squad though would be - Cook,Strauss,Pieterson,Vaughan(form permitting, if not Rob Key or Owais Shah),Bell,Collingwood,Flintoff,Foster(Read as backup),S Jones,Harmison,Broad,Panesar with Hoggard and Sidebottom on standby.

At least then we'd finally have a pace attack with some actual pace for once.

< Message edited by JamesMcManus1 -- 4/8/2008 12:47:25 PM >

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 80
RE: Cricket - 4/8/2008 12:55:01 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: JamesMcManus1

Vaughan's been a great captain and ambassador for english cricket over the years and his decision to step aside is admirable...it'll give the next guy enough time to bed in hopefully.

As for the next side, i'd like to see Shah brought in for Vaughan, but as Goodfella suggested Bopara....just don't think he's ready yet, he's technically not strong enough for test cricket and won't be able to construct any innings of any note, sure put him in the one day side but definitely not no.3 in the test team. I'd like to see Simon Jones restored to the test team rather than Harmsion and Broad brought in for Sidebottom who just doesn't like fit to me at the moment and he never looks dangerous when bowling. Anderson has been expensive(as ever) but to change to much in one test might be a step to far but i'd say he's on borrowed time.

My team would be -
Cook, Strauss, Pieterson,Bell,Shah,Collingwood,Flintoff,Ambrose,Broad,S Jones,Anderson,Panesar

My ideal Ashes squad though would be - Cook,Strauss,Pieterson,Vaughan(form permitting, if not Rob Key or Owais Shah),Bell,Collingwood,Flintoff,Foster(Read as backup),S Jones,Harmison,Broad,Panesar with Hoggard and Sidebottom on standby.

At least then we'd finally have a pace attack with some actual pace for once.

Shah's in it for me ahead of Bopara but with his all-round ability I think he's next in line.

I see Rob Key's name has been mentioned as a possible captain. Never going to happen, I think Key's a great player and he's had a lot of success as Kent skipper but he's been at best a fringe player for England in recent years and there's no way they can suddenly throw him in as captain less than a year before the start of the Ashes, they may as well go for Chris Read, at least he played regularly for England and is doing well as Notts captain and wicket-keeper.

My Ashes 14 squad:

Cook, Strauss, Vaughan (if batting improves), Shah, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood, Flintoff, Read, Broad, Sidebottom, Anderson, Panesar, Harmison

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 81
RE: Cricket - 4/8/2008 1:03:59 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

Good point and exactly the reason Strauss must not get the job, he needs to work on seriously improving his batting performance as it is without the added pressure of being team captain. Announcement is in about 25 minutes and it looks like KP will get both roles. I imagine Cook will be made VC for the test squad and perhaps Bell for the one-day side.

I booked my Ashes tickets yesterday. Going to the Edgbaston test, sixty quid a day is pretty good for test cricket and we're using the caravan so accomodation won't be too much. I'm also off on the West Indies tour next year. There's a great deal by a sports company that includes a cruise and tickets to the second test in Antigua. Well worth looking into.

Fucking nice! I'm shitting it about the Ashes - we really need to get a solid consistent team down like we had the last time we won them but we seem to be in a bit of turmoil with batting again.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 82
RE: Cricket - 5/8/2008 9:42:26 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fucking nice! I'm shitting it about the Ashes - we really need to get a solid consistent team down like we had the last time we won them but we seem to be in a bit of turmoil with batting again.

Check out The Wisden Cricketer if you're interested. Its advertised in there.

Great to see KP made skipper, hopefully it won't effect his game too much as he is a huge match-winner for us.

Disappointed with the ODI squad - no Kabir Ali. The Worcs paceman became the quickest county bowler to hit 50 wickets the other week and that frankly is exactly what you need in one-day internationals but evidently the selectors don't agree, also think Darren Pattinson (ooooh silence!) should have been given another shot. Matt Prior as wickey ahead of Chris Read and Timmy Ambrose seems an odd choice and frankly just one for the change but it is great to see Sammy Patel back in the team after a rather long and harsh exclusion.

Bopara has beaten Shah to Vaughan's place in the test squad probably due to his all-round ability (he has done quite well with the ball this summer) but it is a shame to see Shah miss out especially after the way he played against us the other night in Pro40. Fielded fabolously and hit an unbeaten 96 to help Middlesex to victory.

Post #: 83
RE: Cricket - 6/8/2008 9:28:07 AM   
The Lensman

quote:

quote:

Its a fantastic idea and seems to be working very well in the Sri Lanka v India test in Colombo at the moment - an appeal against a catch decision yesterday made history when the third umpire overturned the decision.

Hopefully it will make its way into international cricket long term now perhaps starting with the Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September if that still goes ahead.

I absolutely hate the idea. The umpire's decision should be final, the only time that the Third Umpire should be brought in is at the request of the other umpires out on the field.

Im sorry, but this is ruining cricket and the spirit of the game.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 84
RE: Cricket - 6/8/2008 10:05:46 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

quote:

quote:

I absolutely hate the idea. The umpire's decision should be final, the only time that the Third Umpire should be brought in is at the request of the other umpires out on the field.

Im sorry, but this is ruining cricket and the spirit of the game.

How do you figure that out? I would agree with your principle if they were allowed to appeal every single decision given but they are only allowed three appeals per match to stop a stop-start introduction to the sport and the silliness that could lead too.

I'm off to Taunton on Friday to watch the third day of Somerset v Notts. Big game at the top for us and them in the county championship and should be interesting to see how Stuart Broad is suffering from his "fatigue" if he doesn't play for England.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 85
RE: Cricket - 6/8/2008 1:15:00 PM   
The Lensman

what makes cricket interesting is the greatness but also the mistakes, i just see it as being a bad idea for me.

look at the rugby world cup final and the vaughn catch the other week - video replay were inconclusive! but for decisions, players should respect the umpires decision, simple as that. If during a match im playing in, if there is a dodgy decision, I take it like a man. - the point being, professional umpires are employed and trained for the job. the only instance that the third umpire should be consulted - is at the request of the two umpires on the field.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 86
RE: Cricket - 6/8/2008 9:41:14 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

what makes cricket interesting is the greatness but also the mistakes, i just see it as being a bad idea for me.

look at the rugby world cup final and the vaughn catch the other week - video replay were inconclusive! but for decisions, players should respect the umpires decision, simple as that. If during a match im playing in, if there is a dodgy decision, I take it like a man. - the point being, professional umpires are employed and trained for the job. the only instance that the third umpire should be consulted - is at the request of the two umpires on the field.

Fair point but I still like the idea and think it will bring more fairness to the game and England for one could have used it over the last few tests against SA.

Good call on bringing Broad back into the England side whilst Harmison has replaced Sidebottom who is rested. I'll be watching tommorow.

Post #: 87
RE: Cricket - 7/8/2008 12:21:21 PM   
ScottiE

So how do you feel by the Harminson Recall, from the looks of him in the first hour this morning, he looking rather good,
I just hope they get  S jones back in the side before the Ash's next year. as he was the best bowler in the Ash'es 2005 seris.

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 88
RE: Cricket - 7/8/2008 4:12:47 PM   
The Lensman

Broad = not an international bowler. pretty nifty with the bat, but he's brought in as a bowler is isnt producing, and hasnt done so so far for england.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 89
RE: Cricket - 7/8/2008 4:47:00 PM   
Skiba

Broad has just taken a couple....tailenders maybe but they will hopefully give him a bit of confidence

But I do agree he's not done enough damage with the ball so far but I think it's in him to improve...and yes very hand with the bat

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI