Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: England regain the Ashes!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England regain the Ashes! Page: <<   < prev  240 241 242 243 [244]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 12/8/2015 12:29:33 AM   
Goodfella

It is absolute nonsense to suggest, in this day and age, that allowing players wives, girlfriends and families to travel over to support the players whilst on tour is a 'distraction' that effects teams performances and preparation. These are grown adult men, sporting professionals at the highest echalon of their game and no one in their right mind can honestly believe they could so easily be transformed into 14 year-old schoolboys distracted by local teenage girls on a field trip. It's insulting frankly, and ever so slightly sexist. These are long, draining tours both physically and mentally, win or lose, and having the support of your family and those closest to you around can only be a good thing in my eyes. The management know how to control these things and the players know how to exercise professionalism and show the right level of dedication and commitment to the tour. Australia didn't lose this series because their wives came along and did a fucking photoshoot on the pavilion one day. They lost this tour because they couldn't play the moving ball and got too far down the crease, their bowling was too inconsistent and England outplayed them when they really switched it on themselves.

There are also further rumours surfacing about Clarke's supposedly fractured relationship with his team. Personally I have never seen or could not imagine Clarke to be that surfellous or arrogant enough individual to 'demand' different transport from the rest of the team to matches. This Clarke stuff has been around since he was vice-captain, I know he's not as well liked as Ponting or Waugh as an Australian fans captain but he has enjoyed plenty of success outside of England and I don't believe you can achieve that without having a team that believes in you as a skipper. I know he has always put his family first and good on him for that, but if the best they can dig up in 2015 is a ten year-old story about him rejecting a team piss-up for a dinner with his wife then that says it all. I don't know how the Brad Haddin dropping has somehow become Clarke's mess either, he resigned as a selector and made it clear this was their choice, and I'd say through that he was subtely hinted he wasn't happy with the decision. I'd be looking Lehmann and Rodney Marsh's way over the way that decision was handled.

The Australian media are as bitchy as the English one, if not worse. They are even less politically correct, as we ourselves have experienced and as this Australia team comes to the end of it's era and is a beaten body lying on the floor, they are jumping up and down on it's head, rather than remembering the times it stood strong and proud. Ironically, Clarke can look over the fence at Alastair Cook and see a man who may have just finally won an 18-month fight with an incredibly vindictive media who disregarded all real interest in the game to hound out any level of ECB management, on or off the field, as they fed off a soap operatic story over a disgruntled former player that they simply wouldn't let rest, in the end it wasn't about Cook, Strauss, Flower, Moores, Prior or Pietersen, or them as a collective, it was about being able to fill the column inches with bad news, script drama and as ever with the English demand heads on a stick because it's always more fun and there's much more to talk about when your criticising. Cook is too dignified a man to say it, but Angus Fraser said it for him, and he said it for Strauss too. This isn't and never was a vendetta but, yes, we are just going to rub it in a little because you spent the last 18 months telling three of these men in particular how not only were they garbage at their jobs, but they were liars, fools and were destroying English cricket. The criticism of captaincy, the scrutiny of team selection I don't mind and fully expect but personal abuse levelled at Cook over mentioning the support of his wife during an interview, or Strauss being so widely mocked on social media, was a level beyond or rather not but what we've come to tolerate from our media, and justify in our silence, when there is no reason why we should. I don't want to hear any knob like Michael Vaughan come out and criticise Fraser for his remarks this week, we are not in the business of vendettas but bloody hell, after 18 months of being portrayed as the worst type of politicians, they all deserved a little of that middle finger and I hope the humble pie chokes a few of them, and fair play to Piers Morgan for being the first to eat it, even though he is still a cunt, he's got more balls as one than the likes of Vaughan though.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7291
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 15/8/2015 12:48:30 AM   
Goodfella

I'm desperate to see Death of a Gentleman but it does not appear to have a single screening in the south-west so far, or certainly not one close to me. If you are in London or another major city and can check it out over the course of the next week or so, make sure you do. Undoubtedly this is a fascinating expose more-so into the heart of the corrupt politics of cricket, rather than just the future of the test format itself. The experts of the interviews I have seen with Srivinisian and other former and current BCCI board members are imploring, and the film's makers, Sam Collins and Jarrod Kimber, independent journalists from England and Australia who met through cricinfo, are casting their vote for the future of the sport and continuing to launch the film's publicity when they stage a fan-led three minutes of silence before the start of the fifth test at the Oval.

Speaking of the future, we've seen two excellent centuries from English talents David Willey and James Vince this week in the T20 Blast (god I hate that name!) quarter-finals. Willey struck his sensational 100 off just 40 balls whilst Vince's 107 this evening was one of the most beautiful knocks I've watched in T20 cricket in recent times. Vince is an excellent example of the way young batsmen in the game have to develop and hone their skills for T20 today, he uses his feet really well at the crease and he can score from all angles, he manipulates the bowler with his body movement and makes batting look effortless, he played spin incredibly well too rather than just using a default scoring shot through an empty deep extra cover, as so many batsmen do in T20. These are two players England have to pick for the series against Australia, you can't leave these kind of players out, you have to move on from the foolish idea of using it as a breeding pool for test cricket, or for players to find a bit of form, and pick the enigmatic, explosive and talented one-day players we have playing domestic cricket. This is the one format that should be utterly and purely a form team, right now only Joe Root, Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes make it from the test side. This would be my squad for the five-series; Hales, Vince, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler (wkt), Willey, Rashid, C Overton, J Overton, Finn, Taylor, Roy, Crane, Billings. There's nothing to stop players like Gary Ballance featuring when he finds some more form too, I've always backed him as a one-day batsman, and Mo Ali who needs a rest but is still a fine all-round one-day player.

That's a pretty brave team and I'm not so sure the selectors pick it but it'd be my team every day. It bats deep, it has a good mixture in the bowling. England should rotate this series too, yes we want to win but we've regained the Ashes and we are just out of our darkest World Cup to date so let's try and give everyone an opportunity to show us what they can do. Try not to take the results so seriously, focus on getting our approach to the cricket right and start to put a squad together for the next few years with some of this serious young talent. The next World Cup is here, let's play to our strengths, we bat best in the world on slower pitches against the moving ball, we have some seriously talented young players who can improvise so well in these conditions let's give ourselves the best chance for preparation for four years time rather than three years of making the same mistakes before we realise that and don't have enough time to correct things. At home, in our conditions and with a good stream of talent coming through we should do much better at the next World Cup but England have to start now and I'm sure Trevor Bayliss knows that better than anyone.

I'd also expect him to have a quiet word in the ears of Jimmy Anderson and Ian Bell and urge them to step aside gracefully. Both have contributed well for England in ODI's over the years but their time has past and they should want to preserve their bodies for tests now, Jimmy knows that better than anyone, better to have three to four more peak years there than two overworked ones.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 15/8/2015 12:52:52 AM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7292
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 20/8/2015 3:41:37 AM   
Goodfella

I'm very disappointed by England's decision not to include Adil Rashid tomorrow. We are going to struggle in the UAE without a premier spinner and this was our perfect chance to find out about Rashid. We've flirted with his inclusion all summer and he's played very well for Yorkshire and impressed in the ODI's so can do no more to try and find his way into the squad. It continues to suggest England don't take him seriously and perhaps they should be foolish and pick a young bowler like Mason Crane with a handful of first-class matches to his name and ruin another talented, very young career out in the sub-continent.

We shouldn't pick Mark Wood either. I am not one for dallying around regarding these kind of recurring injuries and pumping a player full of cortisone when needed. He needs an operation and we should let him have it and see if he can get fit for Pakistan. It will reverse seam out there which is where he's a threat but if he's not healthy I don't want him to play, I don't want to risk ruining his long-term future for the short-term, it's not fair on him, or the team. Also, if he breaks down after a few overs tomorrow what happens to Broad, Finn and Stokes then? Why we are not resting him and Mo and playing Rashid and Plunkett tomorrow is beyond me.

Of course we want to win the series 4-1 and make history but that team doesn't necessarily significantly lower our chances. We are picking players with strong potential, one who has previously performed very well for England. Australia have been abject three quarters of this series so far and confidence is riding high around the England camp, players like Rashid and Plunkett are more likely to come in and feed off that rather than drain it. I don't want to criticise the management too much as they've done very well but these are two poor decisions in my opinion, and we could miss out in the future because of this. I would say it's more likely to be Strauss and the selectors call too, Bayliss said he wanted to use two spinners at some point this series and if it was all down to him it'd have been interesting to see the team he'd have picked tomorrow.

It's also sad to see David Willey leave Northamptonshire for Yorkshire and also that Mark Footitt will leave Derbyshire at the end of the season. This isn't the Premier League and the Championship, players shouldn't feel that have to leave the smaller counties to stand a serious chance of playing for England long term. That goes right against the ECB's incentive drive for these kind of counties to produce and pick more English qualified players under the age of 25, if counties feel that if they do this and these players prove talented they will simply move on at the first sign of the cusp of international cricket, and why should they? You are effectively turning them into slightly well-paid feeder clubs for the larger counties and that will also drive the standard between 10 or 11 counties and the other 6 or 7 wider, therefore effecting the standard of domestic first-class cricket played and continuing to effect the future of it in this country.

I'd also throw the names Matt Coles (big wicket-taker and powerful all-rounder) and versatile bowlers Chris Wood and Joe Leach into the mix as names for the selectors to consider for the ODI and T20 series against Australia.

Interesting piece here on the evolution of modern batting in the test game - http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z9sd7hv - I know we discussed this before and certainly a fair point with statistics that since we have played more one-day cricket, and the introduction of T20, we have seen batsmen play much more aggressively in test cricket, believe more in their ability to clear the fence and see their shot selection broadened and expanded because of what they learn in other formats of the game. However, as I said before, we have seen this far more with the middle order and the best test batsmen in the world are still often those who can really balance between attack and defence, even Joe Root's strike rate is 52. The idea that David Warner fifties are the sole way forward is not going to be the case at all, and this is a pendulum that can so often swing, especially as bowlers look to change and adapt their games with more big shots and sixes being scored in test cricket.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7293
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 20/8/2015 7:55:27 PM   
Goodfella

No doubting that was Australia's day, and in particular Steve Smith and David Warner's, who are going to lead this rebuild after the Ashes finishes. The pitch was odd; you looked out this morning and it was easy to see why you'd think it's a bowl-first track, even with the history of batting first at the Oval. The conditions were overcast and there was plenty of green on the wicket to get the seamers interested and you know at some stage it will start to turn as well. It played like a two-paced pitch though, you saw balls that jumped off the seam and you saw balls that really started to drop off the top of the deck. There was no rhythm to it either, you couldn't predict for how it was going to play next over. England bowled a tad short but not badly and Australia batted really well. Give them serious credit, the battle for the Ashes may be over but do not lead that you into thinking that makes it easy for a team who have been so comprehensively battered in three of the last four tests it is easier mentally and therefore to recapture some form, it's not. Australian bodies and, especially, minds will be a spent force now eager for the end of this and the chance to return home to their families and friends, they have wilted worse than any other Australian team have here in the past two decades plus and the expectation is that Australians go down fighting hard. There was still a sizeable amount of pressure on that group of players today and they stood up really well too it.

Warner has batted independently well all series, he's had a couple of mind-boggling dismissals but he's also had some really good bowling but today was his best innings of the lot. He got the basics of test batting spot on whilst still being able to adapt in his own style once they saw the first hour off, he played some excellent late pulls off the back-foot and in the end he got a beautiful delivery from Mo, the pick of the day. He couldn't not play it either, the previous one had slid on and he played to the same pitch and it spun up off the top of the pitch the other way. Imagine the chance we might have stood when the ball was doing that with a leggie who turns it both ways? Well, I wonder. Warner can be quite happy with how he's batted in England against the moving ball although he will have wanted to contribute with more match-changing innings, he looks and sounds more like a leader now, he has matured well these past few years and Australia will look to him to lead from the front now and play these kind of innings as they rebuild their test squad over the upcoming months.

Rogers was excellent again for his 43 off 100 balls. His exit from international cricket is somewhat overshadowed by Michael Clarke's but he deserves so much recognition for what he has given Australian cricket these past seven years in the international game. Five hundreds and 14 half-centuries in just 24 matches is a very, very, very fine record, not to mention the very wholesome average of 42. He has been Australia's best batsman by a country mile this series and replacing him will not be easy. Australia will be desperate to see Adam Voges get a big score this innings, he may be 36 but Australia are about to lose both Rogers and Clarke and their potential replacements are very young and inexperienced (although Cameron Bancroft is a big player, I'm excited by his potential from what I've seen of him), they could do with Voges to see them over the bumps over the next 18 months or so. I don't think Smith should drop down from three either when he takes the captaincy, he's settled there, he's an expert timer of the ball which is what you want from your number three and whilst he got some buffet bowling at points today he settled down well on his offstump and played each ball so well and on it's merit. The class of players like Smith and Root is displayed in their ability to make the trickier shots, and the general temperament required to play test cricket, look so easy and no other batsmen in the world, since Sangakkara and Jayawardene, does it so well in test cricket.

We're all secretly disappointed Michael Clarke didn't get to go out on a high today. He got the send-off he deserved and he got a really juicy delivery from Stokes that just held it's line and has probably finely nicked the back-edge of the bat, the sound is completely obvious but in potentially the last international innings of his career it's hard not to feel sorry for Clarke there as some of those go for you, some don't, today few could argue that he didn't probably deserve the former.

England have the new ball very early tomorrow. They have to pitch it up more, Broad didn't find his length enough today and the selectors have to look at themselves for not picking Rashid. We must take three spinners to the UAE and we cannot include two part-timers as the main bulk of that, England dropped the ball there today (just look how expensive Mo was). We also have to bat well on this pitch, we want to bat better than we have done so far this series and we only have one player with centuries to his name, this should flatten out and I expect England to dig deep and produce a similar innings to Australia because Pakistan and South Africa will not be as forgiving with the ball, the latter certainly not with Dale Steyn who will consistently blow our tops off. Pakistan have to work out how to recover from a changed Saeed Ajmal and that may mean they pick Asif and Amir and they can swing it well with pace, the test of this rebuild of England is far from over, even though the Ashes might be.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 20/8/2015 8:10:13 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7294
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 21/8/2015 9:22:45 PM   
Goodfella

That was utterly reckless from England. For a team who have vocalized such a strong desire to break history this test, they played like one today who had their houses stacked on themselves losing. With the exceptions of Cook and Buttler, everyone else got themselves out cheaply and dreadfully. Can we please stop all this abject fucking nonsense about 'positive' and 'aggressive' batting and go back to a state of normality where we realise that you have to have a balance between attack and defence and you still have to play yourself in in test cricket? You watch the pendulum swing now because if we play like that in the UAE and South Africa will lose both series'. We are not where we need to be yet in test cricket and we always knew that with such a tough winter coming up that we still had a tough test coming up and would need to continue to improve and get better, we had a chance today to fill our boots with the bats on a pitch that flattens, slows and would be perfect conditions tomorrow. Instead we've gone out there and played like over-zealous idiots trying to prove a moot point about attacking. Four batsmen out to top edges trying to pull the ball is laughable, they should hang their heads in shame this evening.

Should have picked a spinner too, will say it again, you can't win in the sub-continent without at least one premier spinner. You also cannot breed that premier spinner in ODI cricket, you need to find out if they have the temperament for test cricket, you need to find out if they can bowl that amount of overs and whether they are capable of turning the ball on a pitch which isn't as dry as what you will get out there because they need to be able to do it all around the world, can they spin the ball or get it to slide on when it's not turning that much? We haven't done that and I've no idea why. I don't know what we think we're going to do, this isn't a position of debate, we'll be laughed out of town if we only take Mo and Root so we're going to be taking two more and they will be completely untried in test cricket.

At the moment England's batting is a worry. We lack a few pieces to be able to compete on our next two tours against the spin and pace attacks we will be facing. I've supported Adam Lyth but he dealt his hand today with that shot. I would move Mo up the order to open, I suspect England may consider Root but I feel right now we need him where he is, Mo can open, he has the temperament and the shot selection and Gary Ballance has found some form, England should look at James Taylor too who is experienced and more than good enough player for his opportunity again, he's also a really strong player on his offside and a very solid leaver who plays pace much better at this point in the career. I'm still not sure Alex Hales has the temperament for test cricket although he has certainly built the runs in recent times. England's other batsmen have a lot of work to do on coming back to themselves and getting the fundamentals of test batting right, this series has been marred by foolish shots from even great players like Root who has played two mesmerising innings, but technique is key in the next two series and you have to get that right both physically and mentally. You simply cannot play the way you did today, I'd also add with Steven Finn's horrendous no-ball that England lost their concentration a lot today and that is for Bayliss and Cook to drum home.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7295
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 21/8/2015 9:29:19 PM   
Goodfella

That was utterly reckless from England. For a team who have vocalized such a strong desire to break history this test, they played like one today who had their houses stacked on themselves losing. With the exceptions of Cook, Bell and Root although they didn't play their good balls at all well, everyone else got themselves out cheaply and dreadfully. Can we please stop all this abject fucking nonsense about 'positive' and 'aggressive' batting and go back to a state of normality where we realise that you have to have a balance between attack and defence and you still have to play yourself in in test cricket? You watch the pendulum swing now because if we play like that in the UAE and South Africa will lose both series'. We are not where we need to be yet in test cricket and we always knew that with such a tough winter coming up that we still had a tough test coming up and would need to continue to improve and get better, we had a chance today to fill our boots with the bats on a pitch that flattens, slows and would be perfect conditions tomorrow. Instead we've gone out there and played like over-zealous idiots trying to prove a moot point about attacking. Three batsmen out to top edges trying to pull the ball is laughable, they should hang their heads in shame this evening. Peter Siddle made their most of his return to test cricket bowling a good line but letting our batsmen do the rest on a pitch that certainly didn't warrant that collapse.

Should have picked a spinner too, will say it again, you can't win in the sub-continent without at least one premier spinner. You also cannot breed that premier spinner in ODI cricket, you need to find out if they have the temperament for test cricket, you need to find out if they can bowl that amount of overs and whether they are capable of turning the ball on a pitch which isn't as dry as what you will get out there because they need to be able to do it all around the world, can they spin the ball or get it to slide on when it's not turning that much? We haven't done that and I've no idea why. I don't know what we think we're going to do, this isn't a position of debate, we'll be laughed out of town if we only take Mo and Root so we're going to be taking two more and they will be completely untried in test cricket.

At the moment England's batting is a worry. We lack a few pieces to be able to compete on our next two tours against the spin and pace attacks we will be facing. I've supported Adam Lyth but he dealt his hand today with that shot. I would move Mo up the order to open, I suspect England may consider Root but I feel right now we need him where he is, Mo can open, he has the temperament and the shot selection and Gary Ballance has found some form, England should look at James Taylor too who is experienced and more than good enough player for his opportunity again, he's also a really strong player on his offside and a very solid leaver who plays pace much better at this point in the career. I'm still not sure Alex Hales has the temperament for test cricket although he has certainly built the runs in recent times. England's other batsmen have a lot of work to do on coming back to themselves and getting the fundamentals of test batting right, this series has been marred by foolish shots from even great players like Root who has played two mesmerising innings, but technique is key in the next two series and you have to get that right both physically and mentally. You simply cannot play the way you did today, I'd also add with Steven Finn's horrendous no-ball that England lost their concentration a lot today and that is for Bayliss and Cook to drum home.

Of course on the topic of no-balls, again this test we saw more no balls and also saw too many missed. It's not so easy for the umpires to see them from the positions they stand with the taller, faster bowlers but the bowlers also need to take on the responsibility of not stepping over the line, it's a basic part of the game and they are professional sportsmen who should and know better.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 21/8/2015 9:38:00 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7296
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 21/8/2015 10:01:06 PM   
Goodfella

The thing is with Cook if you look at his statistics this series, they aren't great. One half century, but he's batted better than his numbers show, he's had some really good deliveries and not had a lot of luck, but he's a proven, world-class test player we know has the temperament to play test cricket. He just needs to get over that bump, same with Bell and Root. The rest of the top order is young and inexperienced and have not put the basics in if you ask me, that's where are work has to be done over thee next six weeks.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7297
RE: England regain the Ashes! - 22/8/2015 11:52:53 AM   
Goodfella

Strongest half hour from England all innings so far today. Mo and Wood batted really well, Australia bowled a few too many loose deliveries for their liking and perhaps took this morning for granted, they faced two batsmen with very solid techniques and it took the usage of Mitchell Johnson to end it brutally. The bumper caught Wood out, he didn't play for a shorter, quicker delivery and it was an easy catch and Mo fetched after one that seamed away.

Mitchell Marsh bowled really well for Australia too. Looked a wicket-taking test bowler who can push it through off the seam, like Siddle, but quicker. Australia have enforced the follow-on for the first time under Clarke and England face a long day here. The conditions are perfect to bat in, the sun is out, the pitch is flattening and day three at the Oval is always good to bat on. For Cook and Lyth they have to dig in and copy Mo and Wood's example, play every ball on it's merit and forget about the bigger picture and just concentrate on seeing every half an hour off. This really is last-chance saloon for Lyth as well, anything less than runs will end his test career.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7298
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 12:42:01 PM   
Goodfella

Not a lot Lyth could do about that. Wonderful delivery from Siddle that seamed on a great line, he had to play at it and edged it into the slips. Reality is though that's probably the end for him.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 7299
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 2:06:35 PM   
Goodfella

England know it's not going to be pretty this afternoon. Marsh is still bowling really nicely and getting the ball to talk, he should have Bell who was dropped by Clarke after driving an edge into the slips. What probably saved Bell was that he drove a little uppishly and late so that Clarke had to try and take the catch over his shoulders. Bell and Cook have to keep trying to hang in there, the longer they frustrate Australia the more bad balls they will get and with bad weather on the horizon batting time is crucial here.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7300
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 2:41:05 PM   
Goodfella

That was a wicket Marsh deserved. and was probably coming for Bell too. It really showed how two-paced this pitch has been because it really nipped through off the seam, mind you Marsh has bowled the perfect line and length all afternoon and got his just rewards as Bell had already used up three lives.

Cook is again giving a fantastic display of the temperament required to play test cricket. Young batsmen, sit and take note.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 7301
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 2:56:15 PM   
Goodfella

Discussion is rife about who opens the batting for England in the UAE. Alex Hales seems the most popular choice and if he was selected I couldn't argue too much with it and his runs this season suggest him the most form player domestically. But that is where England have to learn; there is a gulf between domestic first-class cricket and test cricket and batsmen need time and support to be able to find out if they can succeed stepping up, England's treatment of the opening position since Strauss's retirement has been so diabolical that in their toughest year of cricket to date since 2011-12 they find themselves with three tours which are not at all suitable to send an inexperienced opening batsman into. I do wonder about Hales temperament as well, he's an aggressive back-foot player who's had problems before playing himself in, A tour to the UAE and South Africa is no place to start a new opening batsman and we have boxed ourselves into this corner by showing little foresight and patience over the past four years.

I think England have to seriously consider shuffling the pack this winter and taking a couple of potential test openers with them this winter (Hales and Bell-Drummond if you ask me) and seeing how they get on, not throwing them in there straight away with a lot of pressure on their shoulders in a very tough environment, we must learn from our mistakes now.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7302
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 3:12:55 PM   
Goodfella

Root should go and punch a locker now. That was the plan from Australia, get Johnson in bowling short, get him on the back-foot and see if he'll try the hook with the man out back. Root walked right into that and he knows it.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7303
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 4:42:48 PM   
Goodfella

Bairstow has wanted bat on ball all day and whilst he's played some half-decent shots, he's shown no patience and he's out pushing down to Lyon who got one just to grip. That's what you want to see too isn't it? Playing behind the ball and pushing down to the spinner a month before touring the UAE.

Oh, and Stokes too. He swings at one out of the rough. Getting practice in early for Pakistan are we!?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7304
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 5:00:06 PM   
Goodfella

Jos is completely out of nick here. He's not moving his feet at all and is clubbing at balls like he's playing golf. Australia have figured it out, got four wide slips in and a longer gully and are pushing it across him. Won't be long lads.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7305
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2015 6:32:50 PM   
Goodfella

Jos is playing better now, he's seeing the ball quite well and leaving well. Interestingly Bairstow should not be out, the ball hit into Adam Voges' helmet at short leg which makes the ball dead. That happened to him in Mumbai a few years ago, but today's wasn't as obvious to anyone bar Bairstow and the close fielders who should know. Along with the no-balls, these brand of modern test cricketers really could do with going back to learn and applying the basic rules of the game a bit more!

Smith has just got Cook! Just one of those horribly unfair moments of cruel fate that is not great captaincy or surprisingly good bowling or poor batting, it's just one of those moments of the game that are crushingly undeserving. Cook has been nothing short of magnificent, he has played with remarkable composure and patience and has been an excellent example of how you have to learn to bat sometimes in test cricket. He thoroughly deserved his first Ashes century at home and he's been robbed of it. He deserves to leave with his head held high though, he did his job emphatically well, he led from the front as best he could and he's captained well all series, even in defeat.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7306
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2015 11:27:55 AM   
Goodfella

I can see why Dharmasena hasn't given Mark Wood out originally. There's a big noise there and it's the cracking noise you expect to hear when ball hits wood but in fact it's nipped back in past the bat and clattered Wood's pads. Siddle is getting reverse and bounce this morning, he's bowled so well here, he's probed that offstump line both innings and he gets enough movement and carry to trouble batsmen.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7307
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2015 11:39:35 AM   
Goodfella

Jos makes an unconvincing 42 and then gets the fuller one from Marsh and drives it uppishly in the air and Starc takes a lovely diving catch at mid-off. Fairly dreadful shot when you are trying to bat to save the test.

Get the Sunday roast on.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7308
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2015 12:18:03 PM   
Goodfella

Rain is surrounding the Oval now but Mo hasn't exactly noticed as he's had a few reckless swipes these past few overs. Umpires bringing them off now, rain will probably set in for a while too this afternoon as it's all over London at the moment.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7309
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2015 7:38:25 PM   
Goodfella

Ian Bell has just told TMS that he will "be taking stock over the next few weeks and may make an important decision then." It sounds very much like Bell has reached that wall and is ready to retire from international cricket. Personally I'll be very disappointed if that happens as Bell is still only 33 and could easily play on for a few more years, but he sounds knackered after this series and he's played a lot of cricket in his career featuring consistently for England in all three formats. This won't be a decision based on form, but rather if he feels he can mentally and physically go on.

The selectors will have a lot of thinking to do before the tour to the UAE whether Bell does indeed retire or not, there are three spots we have to address; an opening batsman, a middle-order batsman and a spinner. It was disgustingly classless and cruel for small sections of the Oval crowd to boo Adam Lyth as he went up there to collect his winners medal. He has worked as hard as he possibly could and the circumstances of his selection and the environment of the series have worked against an inexperienced player coming into such a tentative role. Cast your minds back a little over three and a half months ago to the tour to the West Indies and Trott's struggles and all the calls and claims that Lyth was the future and that we had to pick him and would live to regret it if we didn't. Now he's berated and ridiculed and is a 'failure'. He's England's sixth failure at the spot in four years and our lack of preparation, patience and interference has helped contribute to the struggles of all who played there. I do hope Mo goes up to open against Pakistan; I am not a fan of shuffling the pack like that at all but I would rather that than we throw another young batsman out there to slaughter and that we take some time to consider our options, perhaps take Alex Hales and Daniel Bell-Drummond on the tour. We know Mo can open and we know he's a calm influence anywhere in the order, he's in good form and the conditions will suit him more than anyone else. Of course with South Africa so soon after it's an undesirable patch-job we then have to redress as I'm really not sure about Mo opening against their pace attack. Also, Mo moving up versus Pakistan does not "open up" a position for a spinner. It doesn't matter where Mo bats or bowls that series, we are taking a premier spinner. You don't go to the sub-continent without a full-time spinner.

Congratulations to Australia on winning the fifth and final test, and congratulations to Michael Clarke and Chris Rogers on two very different but fantastic international careers. I'm especially proud of Rogers with his North Devon connections, and he's batted brilliantly this series and the past seven years. He's an absolute workhorse with the bat but great to watch, he's scored runs all over the world and he's been a real trooper opening the batting for Australia. He retires on an individual high with the runs he's scored this series and if he does decide to return to county cricket he'll be highly touted for.

Stuart Broad should have won man of the series. England won this series mostly down to dominant spells of bowling where we made the ball and pitch talk, Broad led the way with 21 wickets but as usual a batsman usually gets the nod and no Ozzie is going to vote for Broad for anything other than possibly being the first evicted from the Big Brother house. Take nothing away from Root, two magical centuries, some chippy bowling and a great fielder but we can't win the tests at Cardiff and Trent Bridge without Broad's bowling and that's why he deserved it. I'd have also given Australia's award to Peter Siddle, he was incredible this test and tied England down with control and worked the ball into the pitch and made himself not only very difficult to score off, but a wicket-taking threat with every ball as he got serious late movement for a bowler who hits the early eighties and not much more.

Last but not least, congratulations and well done to Alastair Cook and England on regaining the Ashes. This series has been beautiful, bizarre and brutal, we know we are still far from the finished article as far as this test squad goes but we can really be proud of this achievement and know we have built some foundations at least for the future in the process too. The likes of Mo Ali and Mark Wood, Cook's captaincy and Root's domination with the bat are really positive signs for the future, we can celebrate this well before the start of the ODIs and then we go back to work for the winter. In the meantime Strauss, Whitaker, Fraser and the coaches have some serious thinking to do and some plans to put together. This has been a great ride but there are bumps ahead and things we really need to get right, let's enjoy this moment and then go back to work.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7310
RE: Cricket - 30/8/2015 10:51:18 PM   
Goodfella

I'm glad Ian Bell has chosen to retire from ODI cricket. I think it was an eventual course anyway but this will allow him to focus on tests and give him the breaks he needs in-between. I would seriously advise Jimmy Anderson to follow suit and I wouldn't imagine it that many years away before the same conversation is had with Stuart Broad.

The ODI and T20 squads have disappointed me again. The selectors have not been brave enough to scrap the manual and pick players who perform at the highest level domestically and who deserve a chance at international cricket. It does not send a good message at all to young English cricketers that if you perform well in one-day cricket in this country over a consistent period, you will struggle to get selected even when we don't have a core team of players, and we are not settled on one yet. One-day cricket is ever-changing and fluctuating too, and you have to be willing to change with it. There were some good selections but why isn't James Vince in the 50-over squad too? Where are the Overton twins when Reece Topley is selected? Just look at Craig's figures with ball and bat in one-day this summer. What does Matt Coles have to do to get a shot? With so many sub-continent tours coming up why aren't we looking at Mason Crane in the T20s? I would have Chris Wood and Joe Leach every day over Mark Wood who is not only injured, but not a one-day bowler. Give the guy the rest he deserves and stop treating this format with such an abundance when it comes to selection. Start picking players who show emerging talent and potential in the format and stop using it as a breeding ground for test cricket, it won't work.

On the note of T20 Finals Day, congratulations to Lancashire on their well deserved victory. I thought they did very well to set Northamptonshire such an imposing total on a tough pitch and in tricky conditions. I'm kind of glad that Northants didn't win despite how robustly well they've played this season as I am very much against being able to jet in international stars who haven't featured for you at all in the T20 that year a few hours before play starts and it would have felt a crux if Shaid Afridi had seen them home. In the end it was young English players like Alex Davies, George Edwards and Gavin Griffiths who were the key contributors to the winning side and I'm really pleased about that because it says a lot of the level of quality in English T20 and why we don't need a franchise league.

Did anybody watch the South Africa v New Zealand ODI series this past week? Absolutely brilliant batting from AB De Villiers, a world-class player who can bat frighteningly well anywhere in the world in any format. I saw one of the most beautiful shots I've seen in cricket this week when he dropped to one knee and paddle cut Stina through cover for four, the ball only seemed to graze the bat but it flew down to the boundary on a piece of string, splitting the field in half. He plays those shots with remarkable ease and regularity, he's the best all-round batsman in the world right now (don't care what the rankings tell you, they are all sorts of flawed) and England will have their biggest task to date on their hands when we go out there later this winter. The pitches are already baking and cracking too, from the pace and bounce of Steyn and Morkel to the supremeness and efficiency of Amla and De Villiers, take nothing away from England but it's really hard to see us winning any of those series out there.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7311
Page:   <<   < prev  240 241 242 243 [244]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England regain the Ashes! Page: <<   < prev  240 241 242 243 [244]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI