Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: England v New Zealand

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England v New Zealand Page: <<   < prev  236 237 238 239 [240]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 11:34:17 AM   
Goodfella

To make the point about bowlers when they find their rhythm, New Zealand have definitely found their's. Conditions help, it's dry but breezy and the ball is swinging out of both the hand and off the pitch, the right/left combination of Southee and Boult is really difficult to settle in against and we have never fared well against slingy left-arm quicks, Cook actually plays them better than anyone when he's in because he cuts and pulls off his pads so well, especially when the ball is on a length but Root has been polaxed twice by vicious swingers from Boult already. We are in for quite a 90 minutes here.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7171
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 11:36:37 AM   
Goodfella

You have to pitch it up too to get it to swing, that is something England didn't do enough of yesterday when they were bowling but they also didn't have these conditions.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7172
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 12:19:54 PM   
Goodfella

Cook has batted so well in this innings. He has the look of his former self now, back in form. He's moving his feet well and he isn't playing away from his body or playing at the balls that are too close to him, he has left so well on the offside and anything short and wide or into his pads and hips he has punished. It's been a succulent fifty for traditionalists and I really hope he continues to lead England well today.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7173
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 1:07:13 PM   
Goodfella

Root is on fire here. A spinner before lunch is fairly expectant but Craig is not at international standard, too short on a bit of a bouncy pitch and Root has really punished him here, quick hands again and he's really on top of the short stuff, not allowing Craig to settle. He's raced to his fifty and this pair have raced from a fifty partnership to a hundred. England will be really pleased with where they are at lunch, need to remain focused for the restart and continue to transform this into England's day.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7174
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 2:41:56 PM   
Goodfella

Cook and Root are currently in the process of saving this test match for England. Root is on 80 and the skipper is six short of a ton, these two have been nothing short of terrific today, Root is currently the world's leading test run scorer the past 12 months and his talent knows no bounds, he's played busily at his crease again, not allowing the bowler to settle and anything juicy he has swathed away for runs.

Cook is displaying the definition of form is temporary, class is permenant. The hole he has found himself sinking back into the past two or so years has demanded a strong character who can rebuild himself and go back to scratch to get runs, and that's exactly what he's done. Today he's looked most composed though, his last ten test innings have actually heralded a better average than he gets credit for but today has been a game-changing innings because he's looked so much more relaxed early, he's scored a bit quicker, his timing has been near-perfect and he's just looked all-round better than anything we've seen from him since 2013, we've had the ugly, dig-in century, this is the tempo-setting one, and in tricky circumstances. Well ton, I hope, anyway, I do hope I haven't just jinxed him!

The lead is, of course, only 91 and England are still some way off where they want to be. The usual critics will always want to find a way to chasten this but England have to look to secure a draw now. Sure, we can still possibly win but we can't risk losing so to ensure it, we need to try and bat out the rest of this day and look to get as close to 350 as possible. It'll put us in an interesting position overnight but I think there's every chance we have a lead today this side of 300 if we continue to bat this well and that will mean we have to approach tomorrow morning differently. Those are situations where often Cook is berated, whatever call he makes. Right now, the focus has to be batting deep though and taking the win out of New Zealand's hands.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7175
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 3:35:27 PM   
Goodfella

Well we saw the opposite ends of the emotional spectrum for batsmen there in that last spell. Root fell 16 short of what should have been his second ton this test, he's played so well again as the most in-form test batsman in the world but a succession of short ones drew his out too easily and he's dabbed that straight to fine leg and he knows it.

Then Cook, absolutely masterful this innings, brings up his 27th test century. He's not been troubled at all today, way he's playing right now he could go on and make 200 plus because he's completely in his groove and I even think the New Zealand bowlers have given up on him, they want to flush out the middle order quickly which is why they focused Root with the short stuff. They keep a fairly straightforward field for Cook and he sailed comfortably through the 90's, with the aggressive Stokes at the crease I'd say New Zealand will try and push the ball across him and get him playing too far away from his body. The covers are out for now with an early tea due to rain, which isn't great for England as it gives New Zealand's bowlers a chance to rest before the second new ball is due.

I think the next session will really dictate the outcome of this match, new ball, damp pitch, an attacking Stokes and a dominant Cook at the crease. I thought we'd see that at Taunton today where Jason Gillespie has avoided the fans but Yorkshire have settled in nicely against our bowling we've only Trego really troubling them as they close in on 200-3.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7176
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 4:07:07 PM   
Goodfella

Right/left arm swing combination of Southee and Boult with the new cherry in their hands under cloudy skies. This is the test right here England.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7177
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 4:20:14 PM   
Goodfella

Ben Stokes is having none of the new ball. Five fours off it already and he doesn't care and they are flying off the sweet spot of the bat too. The moisture is helping as well, it'll take the shine of the new ball much quicker than New Zealand want. The pendulum is really starting to swing England's way here.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7178
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 4:51:55 PM   
Goodfella

Stokes is opening this match right up. 82 from 73 balls! In the last over he's gone 6, 6, 4, 0, 4, 4. It's been quite incredible, McCullum and Southee decided to go short and he has driven and hooked them all over the park, it's been an absolute feast as England close past a 200 lead.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7179
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 5:10:47 PM   
Goodfella

This is one of these innings that is going to end up with it's own Youtube highlights channel. Just tremendous from Stokes, 100 from 85 balls, Cook was on 96 when he came to the crease and he's only moved to 118 whilst working the field at the other end, that's how quickly and brutally Stokes has scored. All we'll hear now though is about aggression and positivity, more often than not it doesn't work in test cricket and most certainly doesn't typically like this, find me five more innings with this strike and scoring rate since England last lost the Ashes?

That's why they are so fun and enthralling, they are a rare quality and we have to take them for what they are. England have the progressive and attacking middle order they need and I would say Stokes is proving everybody, including myself, wrong about misgivings for him batting above Buttler.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7180
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 6:52:05 PM   
Goodfella

Like I said earlier, Cook could bat all five days the way he's playing at the minute. He hasn't been troubled once this innings and I must say I probably would have had Moeen up the order but I like having him at eight, I'm not sure he's the right batsman to shepherd the tail but in this kind of scenario you've got a terrifically composed back-foot player who bats anywhere in the top order. This is a player who could, if we really wanted too, open the batting and with Cook bedded in at the other end these two can just keep the scoreboard ticking over. New Zealand look tired now and the spring in the step has gone, Southee is bowling short to try and stop the runs and Moeen is just casually ducking him, England know full well they are a matter of runs away from ending New Zealand's hopes of winning this match and that may run into the batsmen's mindsets for tomorrow when they come out for their second innings. Question there will be can we make best use of the new ball and find our lengths consistently? It hasn't really turned at all but there is a bit of bounce out there for the spinner, I'd expect to see some Root tomorrow.

It is ridiculous that the naysayers are already playing the game of bashing Cook for declarations and no-declarations. No way is Cook going to do anything this evening, he's going to secure this game first and that is absolutely the right thing to do. How can there be so many with dim memories that England got pasteurised on the second day when they thought their 395 was more than enough to most likely get a lead to take into the second innings? This New Zealand team is a blossoming one with some big-hitting players, I don't think so.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7181
RE: England v New Zealand - 24/5/2015 7:23:42 PM   
Goodfella

If I'm Cook I'd say let's get to 350 at least tomorrow, ideally take an hour off the clock and then we'll put them in. This is a two-test series and we can't afford to lose this, if we draw at least we can still win the series and also that takes the wind out of New Zealand's sails after they way they had started this tour.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7182
RE: England v New Zealand - 26/5/2015 12:06:54 AM   
Goodfella

I don't think I've been as proud of this England team as I was today since we last won the Ashes in 2013. After over 18 months of disruption, discord, alienation and intense scrutiny this team performed one of the most formidable turnarounds in their cricketing history to pull off what they hope will be a defining win. They did it anchored by a captain who has lived under an incredibly harsh spotlight that even on his poorest day he is undeserving of, who led from the front in every possible way. They did it in front of a turbulent home crowd who grew in their support with every strength they did, the celebrations today reminded me of Edgbaston in 2005; wild, emotional and shared equally by players and fans. Too many fans, in my opinion, have almost willed England to lose of late because of their dissatisfaction with the ECB which I think is appalling. Today, and this whole test in fact, restored my faith in how many fans care very much about this team. They didn't need a significant performance to reconnect, they were so desperate to see us do well that when we did so well everything just boiled over, it was a sight to see, one I'm only disheartened I wasn't there for.

I'm so happy for Alastair Cook. He has been superb this test, there is not a single red mark next to his name since the opening day. The first dismissal allowing nerves to get the better of his technique against that early summer's pitch at Lord's, since then he has led from the front meticulously and efficiently with the bat. Without his 162 England don't win this test, he carried England twice, late in the day and early, to the safety line and beyond. He showed why he's one of the world's best test batsman with a vintage performance of punishment against bowlers who pitched short or at his body and a schooling in how you play the new ball on a pitch that can swing and seam both ways. Then in the field today he captained England to victory. New Zealand were always going to have a partnership, they are too good a team, we aren't going to bowl them out for 40, the pitch was going to start to flatten, there was no second new ball and when BJ Watling and Corey Anderson dug their heels in he effectively kept changing the bowling. He never let them settle, he had Jimmy and Wood both going down the slope and and he got the best out of his spinners; he talked to Moeen more and more and we saw him bowl so much better when he puts some air and flight on his deliveries.

Take nothing away from Stokes but Cook deserved man of the match, after all he's endured he showed the character he is in this test and the team followed his example, what more do you want from your captain? Stokes was brilliant, it just goes to show what he said the other day. You get in in this game, you get some confidence with one side of your game and will roll into the others. We haven't seen Stokes bowl a ball like that one to McCullum his entire test career yet. A vicious, full inswinger, he was up pushing thee 90's, he was quick, full and at the stumps. Even when he started to get too wide towards the end of the innings before he did get Mark Craig, he reeled himself back in and got him playing across the line. He trusted his instincts and he found his length in no small part because his confidence grew and his head was up, not down. He's still a very raw bowler, he has lots to develop, which is only good given the early signs. He won't play like this every test, nor should he, but he is showing he can be a fast all-rounder not a big hitting middle order player who bowls medium pacer chuckers. That's not what he's done at Durham and it shouldn't be what he does at England. The Watling wicket was a sweet set-up by him and Cook too, they knew after getting the treatment from Jimmy and the spinners that some pace on a length would most likely draw him forward and it worked to a charm. The pace made all the difference with Williamson's wicket, a tad slow getting his bat out there he got done for speed and bounce several times before he could only clip it to gully.

England as a bowling group showed that, despite recent inconsistencies and holes filled with raw and inexperienced players, they are still one of the best units in the world with the new ball. You always felt England were in with a chance today with the new cherry in their hands on a dry pitch with a team that had to play themselves in twice and as it has still worked from time to time during their poorest period they got two quick breakthroughs with balls that seamed past the bat and never looked back to take three more. They found their rhythm and fed off each other's positivity, they pitched it up and they had a refreshing mixture of swing and pace but the length was the key and England's was perfect today.

It was a great test match, a fantastic advert for the five-day game Mr Graves. Proper test match cricket on a very good pitch played in front of great crowds, like with Cook, what more do you want? They say the first Lord's test of the summer gives you hope for anything and if that is the case then less we get carried away but let us say that the hopes that kind of performance and result can inspire are only good ones.

The other big news this evening is that England look set to appoint Trevor Bayliss as their new coach. I think everyone has been completely caught off-guard by this with all the media focus on his fellow Ozzie Jason Gillespie. Is it left-field? No, it's just we follow the media's narrative too easily. Bayliss is an excellent coach, a point to point man who cut his teeth in the traditional and old-school aspects of the game, which I love. He's a fine manager and he's got a great resume in one-day cricket too. He's experienced and understanding and he's already got a very good relationship with Paul Farbrace, who it's clear the ECB respect a lot given how much they paid Sri Lanka to get him, the trust they've put in him now and that they want him around even with a new head coach here. It would be unfair to compare him too much with Gillespie as the latter is an outstanding and bright young coach who will go on and have future international success no doubt, maybe still with England one day. But Bayliss does have more experience, especially in one-day cricket, he can commit more with his family and I would say the point our coaching set-up is at he's probably just the right head for it. Maybe a few years too early for Gillespie, just the right time for Bayliss.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7183
RE: England v New Zealand - 26/5/2015 10:21:02 AM   
Professor Moriarty

That was one of those days when I just put the cricket on for something in the background, because no way was this heading for anything other than a draw.

WOW. What a day of cricket. What a performance in the field by England. It would have been easy for Cook and the team to just play this one out. And they were undoubtedly helped in their mind-set by the two early wickets, but to get the win was an astonishing achievement.

Great write up fella and as you say, one of the best 5-day games for a little while there.

When I was a lad, Bayliss was always talked about in the highest respect already. I think it is an excellent appointment.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7184
RE: England v New Zealand - 26/5/2015 9:12:17 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

That was one of those days when I just put the cricket on for something in the background, because no way was this heading for anything other than a draw.

WOW. What a day of cricket. What a performance in the field by England. It would have been easy for Cook and the team to just play this one out. And they were undoubtedly helped in their mind-set by the two early wickets, but to get the win was an astonishing achievement.

Great write up fella and as you say, one of the best 5-day games for a little while there.

When I was a lad, Bayliss was always talked about in the highest respect already. I think it is an excellent appointment.

I would imagine the MCC thought the same thing mate as they slashed last day tickets to just 20 per head. Last time I paid as little as that at Lord's was on the final day of the 2011 test against Sri Lanka which did peter out to a draw, but I still got to see a Cook ton and my opposition favourites Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawaradene bat the day out, at the expense of just a tenner. Fans were more than spoilt yesterday and I'd like to think the MCC and the Lord's committee would have looked at that along with the ECB and considered using it as a platform to look at ticket price restructuring outside of the Ashes (such high demand means those tickets will always push the upper regions), but it won't happen. I'm not saying that they should be charging 20 a day every test, that's too low but around 40 a day with discounts for booking three or more days together, or even an initiative where if you buy tickets for the first few days at the premium price you can pick up spare tickets for the latter at a reduced rate. Speaking of which, did you tackle Cricket Ireland over their mercenary approach to the Ireland v England game?

I am finally getting Sky back after 11 long years on Thursday. It means I can stop streaming and watch cricket in all it's glory after an appalling fight with motor nature, technology advances and BT, the hatred for the latter of whom I will take to my grave. I celebrated by purchasing a 40-inch HD ready smart TV this evening that I'm currently watching Twin Peaks on and what it does for Agent Cooper's quirky smile can only excite me for what it'll do to Friday's action!

I don't want to be too much of a killjoy though but plenty are overselling Ben Stokes at the moment. New hero? Future legend? Star of the summer? Easy easy. This is a young talented player who is still quite raw in his development who has to be given time to progress in his own game, especially with the ball, before we all start labelling him something that comes taut with too much expectation. Comparisons to Freddie are weightless articles to fill column inches, Stokes is an all-rounder with the abilities and skills to develop into a quick wicket to wicket all-rounder. He didn't hit the pace he did yesterday against India last summer or in the West Indies so let's give him some time ey? We have such a habit in this country that when a young sportsman comes along who gives one or two incredible performances we launch them up onto our shoulders and declare to the world they will save us from oblivion. More often than not they don't turn out quite as quick as we hoped and suddenly we start to question ourselves and them and the whole thing can self-destruct, still maintain that's what has happened with Wayne Rooney, for example, who has developed into nowhere near the player everyone demanded of him from age 18-21, same for Michael Owen. There is so much cricket to play these days a young player like Stokes can become too wild and lost, England need to manage him well and he needs to continue to manage himself well, he's got far more of a control on his temper and I reckon he used what happened with Marlon Samuels in the Windies to help motivate rather than hinder him. He developed into controlled aggression rather than going out there with a BB gun every innings. And for the record, we have to Paul Farbrace to thank for moving him up to five, but Andy Flower to thank for helping to coach and develop him into the player he was yesterday with that attitude.

As for Bayliss I'm really pleased and the same as you PM, wherever you ask or look with Bayliss no-one has anything but praise for him, and especially his coaching and man management. One thing that stands out about Bayliss's appointment is that clearly Strauss wanted an experienced coach with a resume in one-day cricket. We have three major tournaments coming up in the next few years and we have given the job to a man who has coached very well with two different teams in the IPL, who has coached one-day cricket in three different continents and who's NSW one-day teams are feared in one of two countries who have utterly dominated the format the past decade and a half. This is not at all to say England are discarding test cricket in any respect at all for ODI and T20, they trust the test team can look after themselves and they got the best coach out there in terms of someone who has just as much first-class experience and has been around long enough to trust his nature, Strauss's commitment and a focused test captain that where the real restructuring takes place is the other formats. I'd still have separate coaches but Bayliss has coached in Sri Lanka and knows spin in one-day cricket very well, especially in the T20. He knows he needs variety in the bowling and he knows he needs squad selection that is prosperous.

What I really like about Bayliss is that when you hear him talk he reminds me so of Duncan Fletcher and Andy Flower. He's strong on values, he's perhaps a bit more modern in his management approach to both but he knows he needs a team environment of trust and communication, he knows he needs not a good relationship with his captain but a great one, and not one just solely based on protecting each other from the media. Strauss has gone looking for his Fletcher, and very early doors tell me he may have a good shot at having found him. We didn't dismiss Gillespie for any nonsense reasons you'll come to hear and read from the naysayers over the next few days, I've had a chat at Taunton and word on the grapevine is that Gillespie was considered excellent just too inexperienced for the three-format coach Strauss wanted and felt the team needed, and that Gillespie wasn't too sure of the workload at this point. Word has it the phone call to confirm he wasn't going to get the job ended with a light-hearted joke about meeting to talk some more in a few years to come, and I'd say that certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I would also say that if his contract is indeed two years England want a head coach who is going to start to build something that a younger likewise man can come in to succeed and continue to take in the right direction, Bayliss leads winning teams early a lot in his career. I think Strauss is after man who can effect not sweeping changes, but the right ones, and quickly.

He was also a survivor, along with Farbrace, of the 2009 terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan cricket team. In other words he's flirted with death so should have no issue whatsoever with Piers Morgan! Sorry!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 7185
RE: England v New Zealand - 27/5/2015 1:13:40 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Cricket Ireland are giving me a ticket to the Finals weekend of the World T20 qualifiers in July.

End of the day mate, I bought a ticket for an outdoor event in Ireland at the beginning of May. And when I did that, the missus asked me, are you not gonna ask any friends of they want to go. And I told her, look its probably going to be rained off, I've enough out of cricket over the years that I can write the money off, but I don't want others to feel they lost out cos of me. So, that's the mindset I had going into it.

I've also these two lads. And in a few years time I want to be taking them to cricket. So, if it costs me a couple of quid to invest in cricket in Ireland, I'll do that.

Maybe I'm a soft touch, but that's how I see it. What are the chances it'll be raining again in July

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7186
Page:   <<   < prev  236 237 238 239 [240]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England v New Zealand Page: <<   < prev  236 237 238 239 [240]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI