Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 Page: <<   < prev  231 232 233 234 [235]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 14/2/2015 10:36:46 AM   
Professor Moriarty

On the upside. You won't see a worse team performance in thsi competition.

Oh, and congrats Australia. They really had our number with bat and ball. A strong start.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7021
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 14/2/2015 10:38:53 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

On the upside. You won't see a worse team performance in thsi competition.

Oh, and congrats Australia. They really had our number with bat and ball. A strong start.

I don't know mate. Just wait until we play Afghanistan first.

Taylor must be really feeling the love from his team-mates right now. I know Finn is a tail-ender but there's clearly a bouncer coming there from the field and the way Johnson closes his hand over the ball, and he just stands there, raises his bat and fends it straight back up into the air. Johnson laughs, and he's quite right too, that was a total surrender.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 7022
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 14/2/2015 10:43:15 AM   
Goodfella

Steven Finn and James Taylor meet in the middle to discuss their tactics...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7023
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 14/2/2015 10:51:33 AM   
Goodfella

It's genius that England somehow managed to ignore James Taylor and his obvious talents and abilities for much of the past three years, let alone their preparation and planning for the World Cup, before pretending to happen on him in the 23rd hour.

When he gets a ton here they are going to look remarkably fucking stupid, again. Forget what any county fan could have told you, you'd have thought all those caps and stints as Lions captain was leading somewhere. Why, oh why, has it taken this long and why now is he batting where Bopara should be?

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 14/2/2015 10:55:42 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7024
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 14/2/2015 10:59:51 AM   
Goodfella

Poor bloody Titch. Nobody wanted him to get a ton did they, even Australia are offering him sympathy...

Well batted James, really well batted, you can leave the field with your held high and that ball should be called dead too. What a ridiculous way to end this game.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 14/2/2015 11:00:31 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7025
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 15/2/2015 10:40:20 PM   
Goodfella

India may have scored less runs across their 50 overs than New Zealand, Australia and South Africa but it's hard not to watch them bat and not view them as a class apart from the rest. That was a fantastic century from Virat Kohli this morning, he really reminded me of Sachin Tendulkar with the way he played because after being dropped twice he showed resolute, unflinching calmness and he went to work frustrating Pakistan physically and mentally, working his way around the field, building key partnerships with Shikhar Dhawan and Suresh Raina and ensuring the likelihood of victory. It showed India can bat with this approach and mindset as well as being able to be stereotypically attacking, flashy and aggressive. They also respected Pakistan's bowling attack more than credit was given to it prior to the tournament, they knew how dangerous they could be and Sohalil Khan, Mohammad Irfan and Wahab Riaz worked the new and old balls very well on another great pitch for batting. Many will focus on how India didn't storm away, but it was this type of performance that showed how much India have grown as a team with those previous young guns developing into mature leaders who can adapt more to different situations. The Kohli of two to three years ago may well have attacked the spin more recklessly than racocously after being dropped at deep square but he didn't, he knew his job was that of the shepherd and aside from the drops he went about it flawlessly. Dhawan also had a significant day, he showed how he can be a batsman who can play to settle in and be more considered and disciplined than the flash of the blade he's previously been exclusively known for. He put the constraints on for a well-worked 76, as did Suresh Raina, and Dhoni and Fletcher will be particularly delighted to see these three play so well together as they can very occasionally be dogged by a stigma of their individual prowess rather than as a unit, even having won both of the last one-day trophies together. India knew they could get better and grow more areas of their game, and that's exactly what they've done.

I thought they were terrific in the field too. Dhoni worked them well and their bowling was enough to win two games. Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Mohit Sharma and R Ashwin all bowled fine spells and only Misbah offered any real resistance with the bat. It does, however, say something for the World Cup that five games in and we are still awaiting a real contest.

That being said Ireland just got rid of Bravo to put the Windies at 31-2. We could be on for one here...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7026
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 16/2/2015 8:22:09 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

That being said Ireland just got rid of Bravo to put the Windies at 31-2. We could be on for one here...

I couldn't watch this one. But thanks to night feeds for the twins was able to follow the story. And what a story! Despite an impressive Windies total, I'd decided that it was on when Ireland were about 76-1. And they should have taken this at a canter. Dropped a few wickets with the end in sight, but to knock off a 300 chase in around 45 overs is very impressive, no matter how far the Windies have fallen.

Congratulations Ireland. This is the type of result that will surprise world cricket, but it really shouldn't any more. Ireland have taken bigger scalps at both previous world cups and their organisation leading up to this tournament has been quite impressive. I think it just shows what a plodding 19th Century game cricket is when you can see the NFL expanding to England and Ireland still can't get a test match seat at the table.

Its funny, but around the turn of the 20th Century, cricket was the biggest game in Ireland. Then the playing of "foreign games" was "banned" and GAA blossomed. I think we can see again now that there is room for cricket in Ireland and my Facebook page shows that a lot of die hard GAA guys were not only aware of this game, but were following it.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7027
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 16/2/2015 9:17:32 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

I couldn't watch this one. But thanks to night feeds for the twins was able to follow the story. And what a story! Despite an impressive Windies total, I'd decided that it was on when Ireland were about 76-1. And they should have taken this at a canter. Dropped a few wickets with the end in sight, but to knock off a 300 chase in around 45 overs is very impressive, no matter how far the Windies have fallen.

Congratulations Ireland. This is the type of result that will surprise world cricket, but it really shouldn't any more. Ireland have taken bigger scalps at both previous world cups and their organisation leading up to this tournament has been quite impressive. I think it just shows what a plodding 19th Century game cricket is when you can see the NFL expanding to England and Ireland still can't get a test match seat at the table.

Its funny, but around the turn of the 20th Century, cricket was the biggest game in Ireland. Then the playing of "foreign games" was "banned" and GAA blossomed. I think we can see again now that there is room for cricket in Ireland and my Facebook page shows that a lot of die hard GAA guys were not only aware of this game, but were following it.

Wow, I forgot about your twins man, how are they doing? I work with a QA manager at work who has twins and his emails have always been illustrated to say the least, but you can tell when he has had little to no sleep because they become like some sort of acid-fuelled daydream after about the second paragraph leaving me wondering what on earth he is going on about and if he's ever going to send me the form back I asked for.

I could not be more made up for Ireland, for Irish cricket, for their players, the coaches, the board and their small but ardent and ever-growing support. Thing is I'm not that stunned, and nor should anyone else be. This has been coming for awhile, the nature of the victory was surprising because of how well the Windies recovered from a poor start and went on to post an imposing total, but Ireland are a very, very good team. They have experience, youth, game-changers with the bat and they have an enthusiasm, confidence and self-belief that isn't unrealistically arrogant but is beyond the measure of just giving it a good go and to be proud, they want to win and they set their stall out to do so. They continue to send loud and clear messages to the ICC that they are ready for more. They burnt the Windies out last night and I thought the way such an underrated batsman Ed Joyce closed those innings out with such composure and fluidity showed you this is a team who can handle the mental pressure, they'll more than happily wear the underdog tag for longer but be sure they aren't that much anymore in this format.

It's great to know the game has really revolutionized over there since the start of the century, there's a lot of talent coming through the Irish ranks, I've watched George Dockrell's rise closely at Somerset and when his health isn't letting him down he is still the best young spinner in Britain because he can actually get the ball to turn rather than just tie up an end or get lateral drift and movement. I really, really, really hope they stop banging against that glass ceiling, they've more than earned their full member nation status and can only protect themselves so much, the ICC really have to grant them test status.

Post #: 7028
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 16/2/2015 10:12:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Twins are amazing thanks. I've told everyone I'm going to train them up to be a left/right opening partnership 😄

Just found out that at 9 weeks old one has started teething, so dad might need a good game tonight 😉

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7029
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 20/2/2015 10:48:53 AM   
Professor Moriarty

The only good news is that I hadn't even realised we were playing. Seems most of the team didn't either

Post #: 7030
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 20/2/2015 8:41:31 PM   
Goodfella

Let's just remember, Alastair Cook was where the buck stops with all of England's ODI problems.

I mean this was just awful. I'm not going to tag it with humiliation because that's not fair on New Zealand, they have the second/third best side in this World Cup and they have been a one-day side that have grown beyond measure these past 18 months to two years. It does them a disservice to suggest we are embarrassed by not being able to beat them, the problem is we couldn't even manage to compete with them. Their short, brutal and one-handed knock-out of us last night just highlighted the distance in quality, style and management between a favourite and an ODI cricketing minnow like ourselves.

We have to credit Tim Southee for the way he bowled, it was phenomenal, he would have destructed a lot of top orders in the world bowling swing like that but England are just so poor and have their confidence sapped in batting now that they went straight into their shells and just tried to survive, Gary Ballance undone again by a fuller one before the shorter, quicker one that got stuck in the pitch and never got to where he was trying to play his shot. Southee was swinging it superbly though, getting it to nip back in and fade away so delicately and with such good timing on the ball. England couldn't find a way to settle in and score and skipper Morgan's dismissal summed up their growing frustrations, he'd survived 41 balls and then and when he had Vettori in his sights he was simply too brash with his shot and never really got to the pitch of the delivery to clear the boundary. It's not about an aggressive or attacking style, it's about being able to manage a game and having players who can dominate and set the tone, and players who can rotate the strike and open themselves up more to the moving ball like McCullum did when batting against us. Morgan's exit then opened it up for Southee again and that showed what a poor captain he's been too, nothing personal against the lad but England haven't even turned up yet and gotten half into a game so far. They've played two very good teams but they look a shadow of even the ODI teams that played last year in Sri Lanka. England actually started fairly well, I thought Moeen Ali played some nice shots and retained calmness under pressure. When England lost Morgan and Taylor they completely collapsed, Joe Root is the only batsman so far to have shown any kind of ability out there, he opened his body up well, played with the line of the delivery and used his feet well at the crease. Even when he got one a bit fuller or wider when expecting a shorter one, he watched the ball well and not the pitch and moved on and off his front and back foot, rather than just getting trapped at the crease waiting for the ball like so many of his team-mates did and if it swings there late you are in real trouble.

Morgan also made a mistake attacking with Jimmy, Broad and Finn. I would have been illustrious and thought, no, this is almost certainly over, but I'm not going to give them pace, short and allow them to tonk it here. I'd have looked to see if Jimmy could match the swing of Southee and perhaps opened with Moeen or Root, or this is where perhaps we could use Bopara. Change the pace, give the ball earlier to Woakes too, especially if it does drift in a bit. Broad and Finn both take wickets but have high economy rates too, Morgan's show of ineptitude came replacing Broad with Finn. If it didn't work with Broad it's highly unlikely to work with Finn. Why on earth England thought bounce would work on a drop-in pitch when it clearly showed bowl full and straight is beyond me, that's neanderthal tactics from a very talented and experienced set of bowlers.

Scotland presents a real banana skin for England on Sunday night. They should still win of course but anything less than a crushing is going to draw far more negative attention, and even a probably 200-plus run win is likely to still not provide England with any cover, and rightly so. The players have to stay down under after the tournament for tour matches so far, that's an exercise in humility although the problem with England's ODI cricket is so much more about what happens upstairs and that out on the field and has been for a long time.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 21/2/2015 11:34:07 AM >

Post #: 7031
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 22/2/2015 5:34:59 PM   
Goodfella

If I'm Peter Moores and Eoin Morgan I'd change that team tonight and not for the sake of bold changes either. I'd drop Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad and Steven Finn. All three have been exceptionally poor and made bad decisions at crunch points in matches, if it were possible I'd drop the captain too but we can't do that, apparently. I'd move Moeen back to three as he can bat anywhere in the top order and shows he can steady and settle a ship, it's a natural and required move for him, I'd open with Hales and Bell, I'd get Root at four and then Morgan at five, Taylor at six and Buttler at seven, although if Morgan was in any sort of form I'd have Taylor back up the order where he belongs. To replace Broad and Finn I'd give Jordan a shot and pick the spinner in Tredwell. Yes it's cloudy in Christchurch and the ball might swing but Broad and Finn were reckless with their lines and lengths and if there's some dew out there it might turn a bit and Tredders does a fine job of squeezing the opposition and building pressure. I'd fancy him to pick up wickets against a team of Scotland's calibre who are more likely to struggle against the slower ball than the quicker one. I expect Scotland to be a challenge and really there is no way for England to win this game well after their awful start, they just have to make sure they win it to retain their outside shot and not succumb to complete humiliation this early. Scotland may be minnows in structure but they are professional cricketers operating out there, Kyle Coetzer should be well known to the likes of Moeen and Taylor after his time in the county championship although he doesn't fare well internationally but Richie Berrington is a batsman who can really grow into an innings, Preston Mommsed is a good captain, Josh Davey and Iain Wardlaw are good bowlers who get movement off the ball and then of course there's Paul Collingwood, no doubt a very good coach but one who is unlikely to be able to tell Scotland anything about England that they don't already know. They lack game-changers but as a unit they perform well together and can make things competitive, like they did against New Zealand, England lacked both against the former and they were miles apart in how they fared against the hosts.

Talk is cheap too, and we've heard plenty from the camp since the New Zealand loss. Even as a fan I don't want to hear from the coaches or the players about how they've "let the fans down", yes they have and yes they should be ashamed for those that have travelled out there to watch it at great personal expense, but they've let themselves down first and foremost. England's problems in ODI cricket are rooted beyond the eleven out there but by the same token they've played with no concentration and no energy so far, they can't blame back to back Ashes now, is this really how some of them want to go out on their ODI careers, because that would suggest to me the format means as little to the players as it does to the ECB? But, most of all, it's just cheap. Those of us that knew the game well knew we stood little chance in this tournament and also that this level of performance was quite possible given how well other nations have evolved and modernized to ODI cricket, and we haven't. A bit of honesty wouldn't go amiss, maybe one of the senior, departing players like Jimmy or Bell should just call it as it is after this tournament. I'd respect them more for that.

India were exceptional again last night beating South Africa. Shikhar Dhawan is like a transformed player this tournament, calm, composed and measured with the bat again but with more of a flurry of his typical self this time. Like Kohli against Pakistan, he was twice not out when he should have been and he made South Africa pay, he was also ably supported, this time by Rayahne and Kohli. South Africa collapsed in response as soon as Du Plessis was out, India bowled cleverly and Dhoni was very smart again rotating his bowlers and the field. India are going about trying to win this tournament in a different style and fashion to 2011, they understand the different pitches and know the landscape has changed with more runs being scored per innings. They look so effective in all phases of the game and with such high focus and concentration. As for the Windies and Pakistan, I was surprised Pakistan chose to bat first on that pitch and with those conditions and especially given the struggles of their top-order batsmen. Windies top order struggles too, Chris Gayle is so out of form now he should be dropped really, I've never been a great Gayle fan outside of T20 and I don't think he is either, cricket is fashion and fun too him and he has never taken it that seriously and has always been explosive enough in the shorter format not to do so. He's older and slower now though and I think we are seeing it here, the WICB have tweeted their ever-present dislike for him once again and I think there is every chance his international career will be over after this tournament, and probably rightly so.

I've booked half a day off tomorrow to stay up and watch this all-British fest and I'm really not sure what to expect. The old man thinks we batter them, my mates think it's like dropping an egg on a rug and my excitement for the new county cricket season which is close to just a month away and the arrival of a new membership is getting me through this nightmare currently. I still think Somerset are a batsman light after Alviro Petersen left for Lancashire (who will win the title under Ashley Giles in my opinion) but I'm excited to see how Jim Allenby (he'll be a star), Sohail Tanvir and, most of all, Matthew Maynard fare. It's going to be a tough year, we've lost two of our best batsmen, our wicket-keeper's career is most likely over, we have a new director of cricket and the ground is being refurbished throughout the season. I expect a battle but I expect better, more enthralling and more committed cricket than the last two years, I also still think we pull out a big T20 signing between now and the summer and I hear rumours about Australian Glenn Maxwell.

Speaking of Ozzies, I've found the current story circulating about Glenn McGrath and a certain 2008 hunting trip rather irritating. I don't condone what McGrath did and I'm all for animal rights and protection and reasonable improvements and resourcing wherever we can, but there is a reason why this story has come to fruition now and not seven years ago. McGrath lost his wife to cancer not long before this trip and he has previously admitted to having done some reckless things in the aftermath of his grief, this one very much amongst them. It doesn't make it okay, it doesn't make criticism unacceptable but he is not some hunting fanatic, anti-animal rights activist evil poacher that some of these scandalous stories have made him out to be, I do find the world quite inbalanced when animal rights incidents create so much unified fury whilst the suffering of human atrocities and the aid and support required (Ebola probably topping the list, closely followed by Syria before it) demands heated debate and discussion over resources and what our level of involvement deserves to be. That's not me to say that humans are more important than animals, we should try to treat both as equally as possible but evolution has seen to it that that will never be possible and whilst we continue to kill them and butcher them for fast food we should probably shut the fuck up pretending we care about them and using it as a superior highground, not that we don't care, but not as much as some try to make out. I've obviously flown off the point, my main one being McGrath did something morally wrong, he regrets it, he's apologised unreservedly and we should accept that and forgive him given the circumstances in his life at the time.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 22/2/2015 5:58:07 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7032
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 22/2/2015 9:33:40 PM   
Goodfella

Well I would try to be surprised, but I'm not, England have declared themselves unchanged.

That really is stubborness of the highest order, there are players in his team who forget about being good enough at the moment, don't deserve to be in this side tonight after their lack of effort and focus in the first two games.

Scotland have won the toss and unsurprisingly decided to bowl under cloudy skies but on a good pitch, although the one where Windies smashed Pakistan to all parts the other day. Think Scotland should have maybe batted first, put some runs on the board and put scoreboard pressure on a depleted England batting unit.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 22/2/2015 10:52:21 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7033
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 22/2/2015 9:57:07 PM   
Goodfella

It must be said these are some absorbing statistics from Sky:

Joe Root - averaged 81.50 in first 8 ODIs, 21.78 in next 14.
Gary Ballance - averaged 32.83 in first 7 ODIs, 14.00 in 7 since.
Steven Finn - averaged 23.43 in first 30 ODIs, 31.93 in 24 since.
Alex Hales - 40 and 42 in first 2 ODIs, 8.80 in 5 ODIs since.
Ben Stokes - averaged 28.87 with ball in first 15 ODIs, 62.75 in 9 since.

Those statistics draw serious questions about England's youth development as well as their staggering drops in form which are momental and infrequent and drag them down for sustained periods, whilst being utterly detrimental to players confidence. I trust a lot in Peter Moores and Andy Flower as their previous success rates go to show this cannot be a problem exclusive to them, but it is one we have to examine, as well as our whole strategy around this format of the game.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7034
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 22/2/2015 11:46:47 PM   
Goodfella

It's been easy pickings for England so far to be honest. Scotland perhaps haven't done themselves any favours by bowling first on a good pitch, relying on seam and swing that hasn't really come, and especially in the era of current one-day cricket where it's harder and harder to chase and more and more teams are comfortably posting 300 plus. They've bowled poorly too, short to Moeen who loves to cut and ball and down the offstump channel but too wide to Bell who does all his work there. Moeen has settled in and built a very solid innings, has been able to get on top of all the short bowling, restrained and composed with the odd flourish of a straight drive or clip for six, so comfortable, like a video game at points. Bell has been watchful, and I still think his batting is not suited to one-day cricket and would happily trade in for Hales but this pair have built the foundations for a big score, most likely 330 plus.

England's tactic of keeping wickets and looking to accelerate later on working when they are a genuine class or two above their opposition, as is the case here. A great opportunity for the middle order batsmen when, and if, they get in to play and build some confidence. Everybody who bats needs a score here today, not the later middle order going cheaply in a flurry after we get the other side of 280. Seize this chance to score some runs.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7035
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 24/2/2015 11:34:51 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Windies top order struggles too, Chris Gayle is so out of form now he should be dropped really, I've never been a great Gayle fan outside of T20 and I don't think he is either, cricket is fashion and fun too him and he has never taken it that seriously and has always been explosive enough in the shorter format not to do so. He's older and slower now though and I think we are seeing it here, the WICB have tweeted their ever-present dislike for him once again and I think there is every chance his international career will be over after this tournament, and probably rightly so.

I still think there is every chance Chris Gayle will retire from international cricket after this World Cup. Prior to last night he's been very much out of form in it and you can tell with someone like Gayle he's not really enjoying it anymore through his body language as much as his shot selection. He is the modern pristine definition of a calypso cricketer, and even last night the way he waltzed to that record-destroying knock was almost with half a mixture of bravado and couldn't give a damn. All big smiles and cork-popping at the end but I think Gayle is just that explosive and electric when he checks in he almost can't be bad enough to beat himself, or he took the WICB pot-shot too heart a little and decided to go out there and make a stand, whilst looking irrevicably cool at the same time.

England, of course, won a game, beating neighbouring minnows Scotland. Moeen Ali played a supreme innings that was a work of art really, the way he whistled silently around the ground, combating very slow bowling with excellent timing and control with his bat. The sixes were delicious, he didn't seem to really move in his crease, he clips one over deep square leg that is absolutely fantastic. And thank God for the Beard, because where would England have ended up without him? Ian Bell ably supported him as a half-decent accumulator who could have gotten out four times before he actually did, and England did exactly what I said I feared they'd do if they had a big opening wicket stand and that was throw away a great opportunity to build some individual confidence. Apart from Moeen and partially Bell and a cameo from Morgan, everyone else collapsed, right at the start of the powerplay as they played lazy shots against incredibly poor bowling from even the Scots. I cannot understand how after two games of not turning up, when you have the foundations all laid out for you, a great pitch and a bowling unit who can't find their pace or their line and you turn out and play shots like that!? Are you secretly Scottish, as well as Irish, South African and Australian, or are you just taking the piss now because I'm deeply, deeply confused England?

England should have made 330 plus for the loss of four or five wickets at the most. Instead they're lead would always still be enough, Scotland probably made a mistake choosing to bowl first. The modern landscape of ODI cricket has changed, two new balls are not nearly as effective as constantly-revolving pitches, shorter boundaries, day-nighters and scoreboard pressure. Chasing is far more difficult, you struggle to relax and open up, so far only three teams have done it at the World Cup and only one was chasing a score of more than 270. It's easier to score runs first as well because there is no run rate to consider, the pitch is going to be more on your side and the bowlers will look more to try and restrict you than take wickets early, this should work the other way around too but it doesn't because most captains now know 300 is more easily achievable in 50 over cricket now, you can't try and just step on it, you have to go for the jugular. I still think England should have rung the changes and I think we'll struggle to beat Sri Lanka. It was our best bowling performance versus Scotland, especially Broad and Finn, but that's not saying much given the opposition and how dreadful we were in the first two games. There seems to be this non-saying synopsis that even though England were very badly beaten in the opening two, win the next four and you still are through, almost this assumption that we will. Well, Sri Lanka can beat anyone on their day and Jaywaradene was terrific the other one whilst Bangladesh beat us in 2011 in similar circumstances so I'm thinking not only are we being glib, but perhaps downright cheeky.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/31604629

This is worrying too. I'm no Colin Graves fan anyway, I'm generally not when it comes to the Yorkshiremen who 'run' cricket and these comments about 'changing the whole structure of county cricket'. It seriously concerns me, I've already listed my reasons here as to why franchise T20 cricket won't be successful over here and I remain adamant but Graves seems to subtly hint at deeper meanings like changing the two-division county structure and also county mergers. Two ideas that are both hideous and seriously detrimental to county cricket as we know it, which still draws in good crowds and would be better supported if better scheduled.

As for our current T20 format being responsible for dwindling test crowds, do me a favour! There is only two reasons for that. England have been slightly rubbish of late, and it's 80-100 a day now! I thought the 'rite w'urking class' of Yorkshire would understand this....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7036
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 25/2/2015 11:13:06 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Woof! Kevin O'Brien huh.

That's what the WC needed a tight match.

As other sports talk about expanding their premier events to include more teams, only cricket can be thinking of taking a step back to 10 teams and therefore taking games like that off the world stage

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 25/2/2015 11:55:21 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7037
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 25/2/2015 9:37:18 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Woof! Kevin O'Brien huh.

That's what the WC needed a tight match.

As other sports talk about expanding their premier events to include more teams, only cricket can be thinking of taking a step back to 10 teams and therefore taking games like that off the world stage

He'd have probably cantered into the England team in 2011, right now he'd walk in. In fact, can we nick him? I know he's played more than five years for Ireland but you can probably still bribe Dave Richardson for it...

The good thing about the tightly-contested matches, or rather the few, we have seen at the World Cup so far is that they have not only included the smaller nations but even when they have they have been played with a fairly high level of performance. UAE posted a tough score to chase on that pitch, showing England exactly how you accelerate in the last 15 overs. Ireland also showed England exactly how you can change the shape of a game inside one short phase of it, because those six overs near the end were crunch and well done to both Alex Cusack and George Dockrell holding their nerve at the end to finish it off. It's despicable when you look at how well a team like Ireland have fared over the last eight or so years in international cricket and how much they've developed, and also the history of smaller nations providing some of the most exciting contests in WC history, that in 2019 over here we may only have the eight full member nations competing and just two associate nations, whether some of the members deserve to or not. It totally defeats all objects of what is right and fair about a world sporting tournament, especially in cricket where the numbers are slimmer anywhere compared to the likes of football and rugby. I really do hope the ICC enact the current ruling for 2019 as well, there is no need for this odd year out.

Gary Wilson and Kevin O'Brien were both fantastic yesterday though, Wilson seemed to feed off O'Brien's confidence when he arrived at the crease and it would be nice to see Ireland's other batsmen show a bit more determination at the crease because there is certainly the ability there as Wilson showed it yesterday and Will Porterfield and Ed Joyce have been long-time two of my favourite domestic cricketers in the game.

On the note of Graves, as if I didn't need another reason to make a voodoo doll for him, I got one today. The notion of four-day test cricket. Graves, who has as much of a cricket playing past as I do, is a businessman who founded Costcutter. Yes, Costcutter. You know, the poor man's Spar? He also wants few summer tests. Fewer!? We only play two fucking series as it is, and with the exception of the centenary series against India, we only play one five-series test left in the calendar and that's the Ashes. I tell you what Col, shall we cut that down too? It's getting a bit much ey? Might get in the way of London Buccaneers or whoever playing 578 games a summer. Or, sorry, 223,because the other 358 will be rained off. And there's another reason premier league cricket won't work in this country, the weather! Three-day first-class cricket is a stupendously daft idea as well, for many of the same reasons. For a man who built his fortune on getting the most money out of high-end brands at the cheapest costs it would seem that skill has now become transferable. Commercialism is the name and Graves is thinking sponsorship deals, donor-backed sixes and winters in India. I mean this is, after all, the man who commissioned that monstrosity of a pavilion at Headingley. I mean, have you seen that thing? It looks like what would happen if you allowed an acid-head to redesign his local council estate.

Nuked the soul right out of Headingley, which is exactly what he plans to do to cricket.

Don't worry though, if he even tries to sanction any of this on more than the back of a beer mat I will chain myself to the gates at Lord's in protest. You think I'm kidding as well, I take this very, very, very seriously...

I don't understand why people have to make waves all the time. So far outside of India, Kevin Pietersen, Piers effin' Morgan and a few knobheads in the independent media nobody wants these stark changes. Every fan I know realises cricket has to modernise in the way it's played and has to continue to push to develop to be attractive to younger crowds but this isn't the way, it's always going to be a game that struggles to attract new, young supporters in a modern global world more than anything for it's intracity as a sport and a culture. Baby steps is how you do it, T20 was a big one that paid off for some but not for others, including it's founders, ourselves, because of how badly managed it was and also because the market-place here didn't demand it long term enough to supply it. Very short games would probably attract more fans for a short period but then you've just nuked the soul of the sport haven't you, and what's the point in that? That's not a restructuring, that's a re-franchising that they wouldn't even dare in the NFL, and they change stuff by the daily dose there. I hope Giles Clarke's role as president extends beyond just concierge work with the ICC, because his foot is firmly in my traditionalist and cricket saviour for the love of God no door and I don't believe he will sign off on this, or certainly not to the extent that Graves is floating out there which I'm still not sure whether is truly genuine or a case of him testing the water for a more realistic model. Problem is, and call me a countyist, he's from Yorkshire and they don't do tickling before full-on assault often which leaves me with a sinking feeling.

Is it too early to start a petition....

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 25/2/2015 9:43:02 PM >

Post #: 7038
RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 - 27/2/2015 10:18:30 AM   
Professor Moriarty

That was close then

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7039
Page:   <<   < prev  231 232 233 234 [235]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 Page: <<   < prev  231 232 233 234 [235]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI