Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: England v India

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England v India Page: <<   < prev  229 230 231 232 [233]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 6:24:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just made a start on Agnew's Cricket: A Modern Anthology. Very nicely written so far.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6961
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 6:49:40 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Just made a start on Agnew's Cricket: A Modern Anthology. Very nicely written so far.

That's on my shelf, waiting for a read, glad it's good I'll look forward to that. Currently reading Somerset chairman Andy Nash's 'A Year in the Life Of'. Great read about the heart of county cricket.

Also started to put my Antigua package together. Currently we're set on 1750 pp which is a saving job, but affordable. It covers 2 weeks in private accommodation and that includes flights, test tickets and spending money.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6962
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 6:57:14 PM   
Goodfella

It would have to be Freddie at Edgbaston wouldn't it?

I think Bell's eagnerness to stick one to his former team-mate got the better of him there. It was back of a length, fairly straight and unless Bell strikes it perfectly he's always going to struggle to clear the rope, and it was a fantastic catch by Brown as he was running backwards.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6963
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 8:29:47 PM   
Goodfella

Lancashire have started this chase really well. Sometimes it's difficult to pick up the ball under the glare of the floodlights, especially this late in the day when there is very little natural light left, but so far they've done very well and Tom Smith and Ashwell Prince need to lay the foundations here and continue to put early runs on the board. Take some sting out of the 182. Warwickshire batted well and have set quite a target but they're bowling a bit too full here for the powerplay.

I wonder with England's one-day squad selection for the forthcoming series against India they have focused on continuing to grow and develop a watered down test team (hence the selections of Hales and Gurney) rather than focus, as they claim to be about too, solely on one-day cricket and what's best for England there heading into a World Cup year. I do feel for Sam Robson though, when he settles he's a quality batsman capable of scoring runs in test cricket but a massive technical flaw was exposed this past series and I suspect his confidence was so shelled that he ended up leaving straight ones because he was so worried about anything in or just outside the line of his offstump, it consistently dug away at him mentally and left him totally redundant at what to play at and what to leave.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 23/8/2014 8:40:14 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6964
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 8:58:53 PM   
Goodfella

This has been a brilliant spell of bowling from Boyd Rankin. As you so often see in T20 cricket just a handful of overs can totally change the frame of game and typically on a fairly flat pitch like this it'll lie with the batsmen but here all Rankin is done is find a third and a half offstump line and hit it repeatedly and use the bit of extra bounce the wicket is offering to make it more difficult for the batsmen to time and control their shot. It's done Lancashire up completely as not only have they lost two quick wickets forcing them into their middle order but they've also struggled to score freely as Rankin's pace has made it far more difficult to hit him away the way they were against Javid and Clarke, who were a tad too full earlier.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 23/8/2014 9:26:01 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6965
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 9:16:04 PM   
Goodfella

For a team who pin so much on spin in T20 cricket it's Warwickshire's seamers who have made the big difference here. Rankin with the perfect line and length and now Hannon-Dalby changing up his pace and length every delivery and not giving the batsman anything to work with. A wicket and just 10 runs off two overs, another fine spell that has been the game-changer here that will probably keep the T20 trophy at Edgbaston.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6966
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 9:33:15 PM   
Goodfella

Ian Bell, again. That is an absolute snaffler. That is going at some lick off the middle of Clark's bat and he takes it going backwards and at a height a player of his size can often struggle to reach in the inner field, much let alone that deep and with the rope grazing his heels.

I am a little torn here. Birmingham deserve this with the way they've bowled and the fact that most of their squad is home-grown (mind you, so is Lancashire's) but if Freddie leads Lancashire home here it'll be a wonderful moment to witness....

two straight sixes from the big man!! 14 needed off the final over, what a finish!!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6967
RE: England v India - 23/8/2014 9:48:50 PM   
Goodfella

Congratulations to Warwickshire. Outstanding today, thoroughly professional and disciplined in their cricket and well balanced. They're bowling in the final really did the job for them because those two spells from Boyd Rankin, Oliver Hannon-Dalby (excusing the Freddie sixes, because I think they were written in the stars) and Chris Woakes was some of the best bowling I've ever seen in T20 cricket, especially given the pressure they were under. They all found a really good line and length and bowled very cleverly, changing up their paces and never letting the batsmen settle. It was a fantastic effort at the end of a long day of body-draining cricket and they completely deserve it.

Commiserations to Lancashire. Captain Paul Horton will receive a fine for his foolish and unprofessional behaviour following his wicket but that aside they've played well and they almost made it a magical ending at the end there but it wasn't too be. Freddie Flintoff can leave professional cricket behind holding his head high after coming out and pushing everyone's throats back out their mouths for a few moments or two. Great battle between him and the young Woakes too, very fitting as well given how many of us believe that Woakes has the potential to finally be that genuine all-rounder replacement for Freddie.

T20 cricket has it's flaws and it's fears as the monster it is (and could become further) but today once again was another superb, dramatic and highly entertaining finals day. This model the ECB use for this format often receives criticism, some just and some not, but the Finals Day set-up is the true highlight of the entire tournament and should never be changed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6968
RE: England v India - 24/8/2014 10:15:59 PM   
Goodfella

I don't buy into any of the nonsense coming out of the India camp right now, by bringing Ravi Shastri in as coach for the one-day series they are beginning the process of unseating Duncan Fletcher. I sincerely doubt Fletcher is at all pleased with the decision and how much he's been made the scapegoat for the test series failings and I suspect the BCCI know this to a degree and know a strong-minded character like Fletcher is probably considering his own future already. I don't really know why India think that a coaching change for one-day cricket is a need anyway; I'll be very impressed if England win this series, not so much because I don't think the squad we've picked for it is the right mix of players, but not least of all because India are far better than us at one-day cricket and these are the two formats of the game where they don't need a change of leadership, tactics of energy. Shastri is an appointment that suggests that the BCCI feel that Fletcher's approach is "un-Indian" and maybe it is, but maybe that's the problem with India in test cricket, that their approach simply doesn't work. Let's see Shastri, and I have nothing against him, have a go with the test squad and see how he fares.

Having said all of this, don't expect to see any cricket at Bristol tomorrow. The horrendous weather setting in will take care of that and that's a massive shame for all the fans who have already purchased tickets and accommodation.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6969
RE: England v India - 28/8/2014 12:03:43 AM   
Goodfella

It was comprehensive for India today and a thoroughly damning inspection of just how far behind a nation like them we are when it comes to the 50-over format of the game. There are several key contributions to this outcome, not least of all which is our selection policy, which is jaundiced at best. Despite insisting we would be focusing on one-day cricket from this point on out, with a World Cup next year, we are instead continuing to use the one-day format to try and continue to grow and develop players for the tests. We have effectively picked a watered-down test team, like we did for the West Indies earlier this year, and we have not recognised that we have players that are better suited to one format than the other. Cook's own rise back to the one-day game came, perhaps, through this policy and whilst I think it's worked for him to a degree; he's certainly a better one-day batsman and captain than anyone gave him credit for previously, it doesn't work for everyone. Alex Hales and Harry Gurney have both shown good one-day form for their respective Nottinghamshire, but Hales should have been in the one-day team close to a year ago anyway, and Gurney was poor for the England Lions so given that tri-series was supposed to give the selectors a better idea of who to pick for this series then I'm quite baffled as to how he came up trumps, alongside a batsman who was probably a given pick before that series even started? Both, however, entice the selectors in terms of a test future. Hales is the positive, top-order aggressor who the selectors may fancy as our David Warner and Gurney is the left-arm, versatile quick who our selectors are instantly attracted too because of the intangibles who remind them so much of favourite Ryan Sidebottom, who was picked way beyond anything resembling form.

England's selectors lack bravery, nouse and simply refuse to change a gear in their one-day selection policy. They should never have left Jason Roy, Ravi Bopara, James Taylor, Johnny Bairstow, Luke Wright sitting at home, and they shouldn't have left Steven Finn out of the team today. Graeme Swann is quite right, England's attitude to one-day cricket is poor, it's been poor for quite some time, it's not through lack of effort but it's through the selectors and the ECB's attitude to the format when push comes to shove. It's taken them this long to finally reintroduce 50-over cricket to the domestic game, they have three or four Lions tours a year and despite the form of the participating players rarely does it actually engage in a step-up that isn't already pre-planned and it seems, certainly in the case of Roy, they are just stone-wall ignoring talent. The stubborness is deafening and it's where the ECB disengage with the fans too. It doesn't send a positive message to younger players either. "If you play well, you may very well play for England." That doesn't appear to be the case all round. Just look at James Taylor. What more's he going to have to do? This might sound silly but he's going to be 25 by the time the next World Cup starts next year, if he doesn't get picked for it he'll be almost 30 by the time the next one comes around. We retire players at 33, at what point is it totally fair for Taylor to step back and denounce himself from England. Focus on Nottinghamshire and the lucrative one-day contracts available domestically around the world? I would, and who would blame him? Roy is young but his talent is self-evident for everybody to see, he's a game-changing batsman who will help to exorcise some of Pietersen's ghosts too. Why wait? He's in a rich run of form and clearly very confident, I don't want to say he's the complete package because he hasn't played international cricket yet but you're not going to get much further forward on him without actually picking him. Bopara should have been one of the first names on that team-sheet, the lacklustre reason why not, "trying a different team balance", is a load of old tosh as well. Nothing's changed bar Hales and Gurney, and neither of them replaced Bopara. Going back to Ben Stokes is all very well and good but that has the distinct feeling it is designed to get him back in the England set-up with test cricket in mind, Stokes is in fact a very good one-day player but England use him all wrong in one-day cricket. He should bat higher up the order like does for Durham, and he should open with one of the new balls when Broad isn't available, also an area where he's proved strong for Durham because he puts pace and bounce on it early.

Luke Wright's someone else I want to talk about too. I don't know what else he has to do to win favour back with England short of shitting rainbows on his way to the crease. He's gone all over the world and played 50-over and T20 cricket and been a sterling performer who's broken records with the bat. If we're going to stand a chance of winning the World Cup you need players like Roy, Wright and Buttler who can dominate an innings. Then you add the accumulator's like the Cook's and the Bopara's, who may not have a particularly high strike rate, but can bed an end down and frustrate a bowler and nurture an innings. That's the balance of a one-day team. With bowling you're going to need quicks in Australia and England have that in Finn and Stokes, who should have played together today. I'm always proved wrong about Jimmy in this format but I still worry about the workload of cricket he takes on, and I think this forthcoming World Cup should be his last. You need a spinner too, and this is where England have at least gotten something right. James Tredwell bowled very well again today. Very tidy, deceives in flight and always bowls very tightly, it's not going to turn greatly in Australia and New Zealand but Tredwell will build pressure and keep run-rates down, he's the one very solid, one-day-frame pick in that team today.

Chris Woakes bowled well today too, Chris Jordan was horrendous and his bowling action needs looking at. It looks far too stuttery and it lacks control, his form is so see-saw that England can't just plough along with him and not do some work in the meantime. He bowled well in short spells during the test series but more of his wickets were gifts than Woakes, take nothing away from him, but he's far away from where England need him to be to get consistency.

I wish England would look at the Indian and Australian models when it comes to one-day cricket and realise the best notion is to pick the players best suited for that format. Taking risks is a big essence of this format of the game and England have to learn to take them, they have to recognise their current policies aren't working, start looking at dropping players like Ian Bell from this side of the game and picking some of these naturally-talented, young batsmen we have in our ranks and giving them a chance to grow and develop their game internationally before the World Cup next year. We are blessed with twelve one-day games before Valentines Day at the MCG and I do not want to see us blow them playing the same old players with the same old ideas and then trying to act mildly surprised it didn't work out.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6970
RE: England v India - 30/8/2014 10:57:41 AM   
Goodfella

England have lost the toss and are batting first in the third ODI at Trent Bridge. India clearly enticed in their decision by a typical Nottingham pitch that they hope will swing plenty in the first innings and then settle down later. I'm not sure India have made the best decision there, if I was them I'd have batted first after the score they made midweek. England aren't very good at chasing and India batted beautifully last time out, even if this pitch does swing there's every chance it might turn later too. I'd want to set the tone to dominate us the way India know they can in one-day cricket.

No surprises that Finn has replaced Jordan after his wayward bowling at Cardiff. England's selectors really need to stop chasing the idea of their perfect all-rounder and allow these young players to develop their game more and build on their strengths, and see where it takes them. We put that unnecessary pressure on Broad and it stifled his batting and bowling for the better part of 18 months, now the pressure of him filling that particular role is off he's started to show more consistency. You don't have to have a natural, game-changing all-rounder to be successful in all formats of the game and England haven't had a great one since Beefy anyway - let's be clear, Freddie was a terrific player on his day but never had the consistency or the long-term health and fitness to be considered in the top twenty all-rounders of the game. Woakes is someone I genuinely believe could get there one day but he needs the time and the support, and not to feel like that is the expectation of him.

Dave Nosworthy stepped down as Somerset's director of cricket yesterday, a decision which I am hardly surprised and not at all disappointed at. I haven't been a fan of Nosworthy since day one and his appointment hasn't worked out. I think he's failed in improving the squad enough to be competitive across a 16-game first-class season and whilst we have fared better than we expected this season the lack of an experienced strike bowler, we simply weren't going to take 20 wickets often enough and our policy with our spin bowlers has been disappointing, I simply can't understand why George Dockrell and Jack Leach haven't played more, especially when you consider how much trouble we've had finishing tails off this year. Nosworthy's main forte is in winning one-day trophies, it's how he made his name as a coach in his native South Africa and this is why his appointment so baffled me because the club insisted he was being brought in to improve our first-class prospects yet his strengths are mainly in T20 cricket. And the killer blow for Nosworthy there has been that we've gone backwards in both one-day trophies, having not made the knock-out stages of either for the first time in four years this season. It was a hard job to improve us in one-day cricket short of winning a trophy, but not only has that not happened but we struggled this season and that's very unlike us, we made a lot of changes too and I don't think the team every truly settle. It simply hasn't worked with him and whilst the statement reads as it's his decision to return home a board meeting was called on Wednesday to discuss his future and I suspect there was a bit of a push, we didn't want to outright sack him so there was a mutual agreement decided at that meeting. Having also made significant changes to our coaching set-up this season it would surprise me if Nosworthy had made those decisions without, at the time, planning for a long-term future so I think he's been politely shown the door with a dignified exit offered to him. He could have waited until the end of the season to discuss his future with his family but Somerset understandably want to start the search for a new man now, and I think it's in that they've ultimately controlled this decision. I hope we can now return to having Andy Hurry as head coach and appoint a director of cricket for the more traditional role of overseeing the development of cricket at the club at all levels and across all formats whilst allowing Hurry and Tresco to run first-team affairs, I also want someone who understands the culture and style of the club and the desperation of the supporters to win our first-ever county championship. We need someone with experience in the first-class game at a playing and coaching level too, Nosworthy didn't have that and that's a must for me on the resume. It will be a sought-after job, Somerset are one of the most profitable counties in the game with a prestigious history that just doesn't have the cream on the cake so to speak. It's a job and a half to bring that to the county but we shouldn't be short of applicants with an impressive ground with major developments already underway and the possibility of a World Cup, a very solid academy structure, a talented playing staff and a propserous area and fan-base.
I'd also weep with joy if we appointed Andy Flower, but we won't...

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 30/8/2014 12:00:20 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6971
RE: England v India - 30/8/2014 11:23:03 AM   
Goodfella

This has been an impressive start from England. Going at just under 5 an over but moving steadily and looking very comfortable. Cook has played some delicious shots and India haven't really bowled well too him, trying to swing it back into him but more often hitting the slot where Cook absolutely loves to pull or hook it. Cook does look like he's up for this, perhaps playing with a chip on his shoulder after another public spat with Graeme Swann this week. This is where Cook has a positive shortcoming, he's such a nice, decent and honest bloke that he struggles to handle what he perceives as such personal criticism. He has to learn to ignore it, he's probably never going to win with portions of the media, former player, close friend or not. Don't rise to the bait and give them the extension on the story they want. I love Swann but he's with TMS now and he's going hunting, let him talk and focus on the cricket. He's always been highly opinionated and may well have kept his real thoughts and feelings close to his chest in the England camp. He's not wrong about certain aspects of England's one-day policy and I totally agree that the game has transformed rapidly and we have not with it, but Cook has played and captained better than people think for England in this format of the game and I would not be changing skipper six months before a World Cup anyway. He needs to use this series to continue to lift his confidence with the bat and trust his instincts when it comes to the field. He may not have a natural one-day mind as a captain but I don't think many English players do, but he's actually the least of our problems with what's wrong at the top in one-day cricket in this country.

I think England's challenge today will come in how they tackle the middle overs and push on without losing a cluster of wickets.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6972
RE: England v India - 30/8/2014 11:48:03 AM   
Goodfella

Nice bowling by India to get rid of Hales. They've recognised he's a strong onside player and they've tried to tuck him up as much as they can these last few overs and Raina has unsettled him by giving him that width he wants and he hasn't timed the attempted paddle sweep at all well. He's played well again for his 39 though and showed he's a settled player in this format. He needs a long knock to really get him started and show off his skills as a big-hitter who can score quickly, but that will come with time. We can say looking at his partnership with Cook though that they are the almost-perfect contrast for one-day cricket. Bell at the crease now, an average of 36 and a strike rate of 76. A half-decent record in one-day cricket, although not against the better teams but too similar to Cook in style. I sometimes feel like he's picked for his experience and his fielding more than anything, he's been dropped down to three in the order to make way for Hales and he jumped from five and four to open the batting after the 2011 World Cup. It feels like England have never been completely sold on him as a one-day player but don't seem to want to consider dropping him for some reason, I think he's a fantastic player and I'm a firm favourite of his but in this format his position is expendable because of his style and scoring rate. To be honest I would have had Jason Roy here if it was my England team.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6973
RE: England v India - 30/8/2014 12:12:54 PM   
Goodfella

Spin has done it again here for England, and part-time at that. Root can be as frustrated all he wants but he was out and he has no-one to blame but himself. There's a hint of turn out there and England's batsmen have been getting too far forward against the turning ball and are struggling to control their shot and balance. The batsmen need to learn to see the field more against the spinner, learn to use their feet more and get back late against the turning ball so they can play with the spin, find the gaps and rotate the strike. Pushing out against spinners who don't completely turn it but just tweak it is always going to get you into problems, the ball does enough that you lose control of your position at the crease and are often beaten playing forward and stumped or caught because you are committed already and don't have the time to adapt your body position.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6974
RE: England v India - 1/9/2014 9:49:42 PM   
Goodfella

I'm a big supporter of his but I don't think Cook captained very well at all on Saturday. I think with India only needing 229 to win England's reliance on their seamers with nuturilized field settings was never going to work if we didn't make a big scalp whilst both balls were still fairly new. Cook's not helped here by the decision to have only one spinner in the team in Tredwell, we don't have to pick another spinner, just pick Bopara. It's how you tie down a batting team and take wickets through creating pressure. Tredwell was difficult to score off again on Saturday and England really could have used another bowler like him at the other end, one who could nurdle away and tie the run-rate down. But this is one of several areas where England are lacking in one-day cricket.

Spin did it for us with the bat, and some part-time at that. Same old England with their lengthy forward defensive strokes and their pre-meditated sweeps. We have simply got to be braver and recognise how much this format of the game has changed and start picking players who are talented and positive in one-day cricket, not just playing a watered-down test team. We are so painstakingly slow at this and it's going to cost us again this year. I agree with Swann that these simply aren't the best eleven one-day players in the country right now. I'd start by examining the positions of Ian Bell, Joe Root and Ben Stokes as one-day players and why we're actually picking them, I actually agree with the latter having a future in this format of the game but we need to use him properly, not just play him as if it were a test match. Stokes can bat four or five in one-day cricket and is a good opening bowler, I think I've said this before.

Cook needs to learn to ignore the criticism as well, and so do his coaches and team-mates. We can't rise to every bait and I don't think Cook is ever going to win with every corner of the media, no matter what he does. Friend, ally, former team-mate, it's irrelevant. He's not going to get any free lunches and the only way to handle it is to go out there and prove them wrong like he did in the test series by getting his head down, scoring some runs and taking some things from there. Cook is a very decent chap but, frankly, is starting to come across as a little too nice for his own good. No point taking what Swann says to heart, he's entitled to his opinion and he works for TMS now with Vaughan in his ear every day so your going to hear some stuff from him. Shake it off and move on, really want to prove him wrong then badger the ECB to change things further from the top and go and win the World Cup. That's what we really all want because despite the stubborness of us English cricket fans in insisting all we really care about is test cricket the fact we are one of only three teams to have never won a 50-over international trophy (and one of those teams is technically an associate nation!) is utterly absurd!

Speaking of the absurd, Freddie Flintoff's escaping of a driving ban after he was caught doing 87mph in Cumbria, already with 9 points on his license! The judge letting him off based on his charity work and his 'children's security' was frankly both utterly ridiculous and incredibly incompetent. His charity work plays no part and they take driving licenses off speeders all the time who need their vehicles to go to work and support their families, so why is Freddie any different? Freddie's charity work is commendable but he's in a remarkable position to provide it, and could continue to do so if it meant so much to him, with or without a car. As for the 'security of his children'?Rubbish. He's Freddie Flintoff. He's not a Hollywood a-list celebrity. He doesn't have a security detail and his wife is usually spotted with them anyway. Sorry to get a little tabloid here but he's a repeat offender who deserved a ban, simple as, and from what I can understand he didn't get one simply because some of the intracities of being famous. Well, that's good, maybe when he's at his next 'non-stop charity event' he can have a chat with Speed Kills at exactly the type of damage he could do at 87mph...

Adam Lyth scored another ton for Yorkshire today in the Red Rose derby. 182 hard-fought runs on a tough pitch. Sent a loud and clear message to the England selectors that he can't do much more to be noticed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6975
RE: England v India - 2/9/2014 9:06:12 PM   
Goodfella

The Cook critics are back out in force again, and as sanctimonious as ever. It is in their sheer desperation to have Cook sacked for something that I am more endeared to support and defend him. I don't think he's captained very well at all this series and I have been crying out for an England one-day overhaul long before he was appointed, but sacking the captain to justify personal recriminations towards him are not going to solve England's one-day problems.

Cook's biggest problem right now are runs again. Jumping up and down on his back about his strike rate of 76 isn't going to help matters either, it'll just make him more incompetent at the crease, like he was today as we saw him try to cut a seaming ball late, looking to hit four through anything that was slightly wide on the offside. It wasn't great bowling from India today, it was wicket-to-wicket bowling with a bit of seam movement. It wasn't Lasith Malinga or Dale Steyn, it was England capitulating against Indian bowlers who figured out they could get in their heads quicker than knock their stumps over.

As for his captaincy, Cook is partly let down by the selectors there who don't pick a squad that is either well-balanced or with the view to playing the best eleven one-day players in the country, or even picking a few of the most talented and trying to build around them. It's summed up by the three changes England have made this series, which have simply been personnel changes with no real plan or tactic in mind. That's because Moores and Cook don't know their best England one-day team with a squad like this, because it wasn't picked with one-day cricket in mind. They need to come to this realization soon and if they don't I'm all for making changes there too, but for the right reasons, not to satisfy the Kevin Pietersen Fanclub.

At this point, with a World Cup on the horizon we are going to have to stand by Cook and give him the winter to try and turn things around, like we did with the test summer. We have no natural successor and the changes we should make should be around him now. Bring back in Ravi Bopara and our two best young batsmen in Jason Roy and James Taylor and see if that can't ignite something a bit more in our performances by recognising how much this format of the game has changed and picking talented players who have changed with it.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6976
RE: England v India - 9/9/2014 9:48:01 PM   
Goodfella

I'm very disappointed to learn that Saeed Ajmal has been suspended from international cricket after the ICC deemed to have found his bowling action to be illegal in testing at their facility in Brisbane last month. I'm also incredibly cynical about the testing, the motivation for the testing and the ICC's recent shifting of the goalposts regarding the formats for the testing themselves. Ajmal was reported last month during the test series in Sri Lanka, it's not the first time he's been reported as he was by England back in 2009 and then inferred by Andrew Strauss in 2012. Despite these reports and claims Ajmal was tested twice and his action was deemed to be perfectly legal, but, just like with Murali, with two reports to his name and two tests proving negative, the ICC altered the laws for spin bowlers who bowl a doosra two weeks before Ajmal was tested and he failed on all counts by 15 degrees. The ICC have also confirmed on the same day they've announced his suspension, that they will move away from the clearly-flawed and dubious centre tests to players wearing in-match sensors which not only give more accurate readings on the degree of the arm straightening but also are a far better judge of where these supposed illegal deliveries take place, whether it is a certain type of ball they are bowling, how frequently it happens and hopefully it should clear up any mess about how intentional it is or isn't. It'll help bowlers who are making non-forced errors with a delivery like the doosra which is a delivery that requires near-perfect timing on elbow and arm extension.

The doosra has always perplexed us non-sub continental nations and frankly, it's infuriated us. Not just because of the amount of our batsmen who have gotten out to it, but also because our spin bowlers have never been able to perfect it and sorry, but we've seen jealousy rise out of that. England have rejected it altogether as a credible delivery and talk about it with a pompous disdain, Australia banned teaching it like it was some filthy, naughty joke and the only South African bowler to ever come close to nailing it, Johan Botha, had his case so poorly mishandled by the ICC he could have walked down the wicket with two balls and sent them in opposite directions and probably still gotten away with it. It has been Pakistan's secret weapon since the mid to late 1990s, or rather not so secret but still entirely unpredictable and often unplayable. India never really liked it much either because it was something their 'next door minions' Pakistan and Sri Lanka did better than them at, they had Harbajhan who was a complete fruit loop but could bowl a perfect doosra. When he retired they stopped caring and I'll tell you for nothing the BCCI will have had something to do with this decision.

As for what happened to Moeen Ali during the T20 win over India on Sunday at Edgbaston, well, that kind of behaviour can go and take a very long walk off a very short cliff. We do not tolerate racism or religious discrimination in any form in cricket and it's totally unacceptable. This game holds itself to a higher standard and whilst it might be slowly selling out other parts of it's history it should never turn a blind eye to it's traditions of respect for yourself second and your opponents first. Things will always happen in matches that our contenious, that's the nature of the beast but that's why we scrutinize everything that brings the standards and reputation of the game into disrepute, even if it's amongst our own, there should be no partisanship when it comes to that in cricket. What Moeen experienced on Sunday was horrible and intimidating, English fans boo Australian players on occasion and vice versa but it's not usually centrally focused on one player, it's not because of their race and religious beliefs and it's done in the manner of a gameful rivalry. That wasn't what Moeen experienced, he had persistent booing and jeering, chanting and no doubt personal comments tossed around that he could hear, the Police state otherwise but that's because none were reported bar one fan who went as far to report afterwards what they described as a 'hate crime'. I would suggest then that it's been far more than cat-calls. Unfortunately with such widespread reports of it and such a huge and lively crowd, nailing down and finding main perpetrators and offenders would prove incredibly difficult. Moeen's family have made the job so much easier for the Police by being so patient, considerate, understanding and remarkably modest following the events. Which says so much for their faith and beliefs and ethos than it does for any of the morons mocking him.

Moeen should have been allowed to enjoy Sunday in his home city and to do it proudly for his country and for whatever he damn well pleases. As long as he continues to play good cricket for England he can take it from whatever place he wants.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6977
RE: England v India - 10/9/2014 10:26:59 AM   
Professor Moriarty

The PCA boss didnt' help did he? Put this together with the LMA's recent view that the texts by the then Cardiff management team were banter and you just wonder what planet these guys live on. It's not like they are some closeted academics, they are involved in a multi-cultural game, but they've not got the sense to run a bath let alone a sport.

Clearly here the booing was based on religion (compare it to the booing against Broad) and I just don't think we have room for it in the game. Comment on the sport, but let's leave the religion at home and if a minority of fans don't like that let's have the ejected out of the game so the rest of us can get on with it like proper people.

I think one of the most important aspects of cricket when I was growing up (and the 70s really were a different landscape than today) was that you'd see players like Viv Richards and Imran Khan as heroes. And you know I really think cricket did its bit there to help me grow up seeing that race wasn't really that important. So, I'd like cricket that is a melting pot of English, South African, West Indies, Australian, Sri Lankan, Indian, Pakistani, etc. keep that good work up.

The Ajmal case. Well we've seen bowlers from all corners reported and suspended so I don't know if I want to read too much into this. Obviously we have the timing of the top ranked bowler before the WC, but maybe it is better to get that storm out of the way now than in the WC.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6978
Page:   <<   < prev  229 230 231 232 [233]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England v India Page: <<   < prev  229 230 231 232 [233]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI