Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: England v India

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England v India Page: <<   < prev  228 229 230 231 [232]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 3:26:05 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Frankly, this has been lazy from England. There's an element of them taking their foot off the gas here and thinking they don't have to put the same required effort and concentration in because India have been so poor, and they've paid the price. Ballance could have had another hundred today but his concentration has let him down and that was a dreadful shot from Bell; he'd already seen one come back in from Cook and he just remained static and pushed out at it. No way, on a day like today, should both Root and Moeen have been at the crease this early and it'll be a test here for Moeen because he'll probably get some short stuff. Should see this an opportunity to find some form with the bat and show the quality he has for long and prosperous innings.

Said yesterday that England had to stay professional and do the job. It might be end of term, but they need to finish this cleanly.

Yes you did and professional is not how I would describe this. Moeen's just gone and it felt like it was coming, he had two big swishes the balls before and ran both down third man when he was looking to hit through mid-off (lord knows why the England batsmen keep doing that) and then he bottom-edges Ashwin down onto his stumps as he gets stuck between playing and leaving the ball. Horrible dismissal and sums up the last 40 minutes for England.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6931
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 3:35:15 PM   
Goodfella

Watching the Moeen dismissal again and I'm at a loss as to explain why he'd think about leaving it. Angled in towards the stumps, pitched in line and was going straight on. He needed to play at it, he just played it far too late.

I see and hear the Bell critics out again. Really poor dismissal but to question the quality he has a batsman is absolutely insane. Carries the best technique and mechanics of this entire England team at the moment and over 7000 runs, 21 centuries and 42 half centuries in tests.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6932
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 4:32:51 PM   
Goodfella

That was a very poor afternoon session from England's perspective. The four dismissals were all poor shots by the England batsmen, the deliveries to Bell and Moeen were good but both played themselves further into trouble by their decisions at the crease. For the first time in two and a bit tests England have surrendered a session to India and left Root and Buttler with a crucial partnership at the crease, if India break this early they could carve a way back into the game. England's batting runs deep but after these two it's a crop of young shot-players who won't go about rebuilding an innings, Root and Buttler should ideally look to see this out today and see, in the process, how far they can get England ahead.

I still think England will win this but it will be more of a task if they don't take their lead past 200 and they will be relying again on an Indian collapse with the bat. It's great to see us bowling so well and keeping our foot on India's throat there but we should have made sure there was very little to no likelihood of us batting again, and we haven't done that and it's because of a lack of focus rather than because of any spectacular bowling by India, which is perhaps the most frustrating thing.

India will be really ruing their poor fielding here too, and the blundering umpiring. They should have had Cook much earlier than his 79 and take away those extra runs and that very much changes the frame of the game at this stage. In terms of their fielding, I think India's slip cordon field too close together which doesn't help. There isn't much space between the three slips and this can lead to some hesitation, that's one area that Dhoni and Fletcher should address to try and help matters but it doesn't overturn the fact that the first dropped catch (at least) was an absolute dolly and should have been taken regardless.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6933
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 4:40:54 PM   
Professor Moriarty

We could have had India out for less than 100. And even at 148, that is a match you don't lose unless the pitch is bad. And I really do think we'll be well over 200 runs to the good by stumps.

But what is disappointing is that we have batsmen who still need to play themselves into form. And there is no better chance of doing that than on the Oval pitch on a sunny day when the opposition really wants to go home. So Robson, Cook and Moeen really have to take a good look at themselves this afternoon. One of those IMO may not get another chance to play for England. And Moeen will be out of that team as soon as a replacement is found. His figures look good this summer, but they are very flattering with what he has bowled. Put him in the team line up on batting and you'd have him around 8th. He's not good enough with the ball to bat 8th, so that spot he currently has is really not certain. Even Bell should be taking a chance like this to put a hundred on the board. I'm going to forgive Ballance cos he's had a couple of terrible decisions against him this series.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6934
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 4:50:54 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

We could have had India out for less than 100. And even at 148, that is a match you don't lose unless the pitch is bad. And I really do think we'll be well over 200 runs to the good by stumps.

But what is disappointing is that we have batsmen who still need to play themselves into form. And there is no better chance of doing that than on the Oval pitch on a sunny day when the opposition really wants to go home. So Robson, Cook and Moeen really have to take a good look at themselves this afternoon. One of those IMO may not get another chance to play for England. And Moeen will be out of that team as soon as a replacement is found. His figures look good this summer, but they are very flattering with what he has bowled. Put him in the team line up on batting and you'd have him around 8th. He's not good enough with the ball to bat 8th, so that spot he currently has is really not certain. Even Bell should be taking a chance like this to put a hundred on the board. I'm going to forgive Ballance cos he's had a couple of terrible decisions against him this series.

I'll forgive us a troublesome last wicket partnership of 58 because of how well Dhoni batted in it. It's very difficult to get him out when he's playing like that; everything came out of the middle of the bat and he barely moved his feet. In the end it took him holing out to get rid of him.

It has really been a missed opportunity for some of England's batsmen. As you rightly say it's not like they couldn't have used the runs, and even someone like Ballance shouldn't be getting out like that this early in his test career. There is some of my concerns there about him knowing how to build a test innings, he's been in great form but against mediocre bowling, when he comes up against world class bowling are we going to see more of that? I'm not sure what happens to Robson now. It wouldn't surprise me if the selectors stuck with him because they have this far and are running out of time before the Ashes, but I'm really worried about his technique and his confidence and he has got to improve considerably otherwise he is going to get a very tough time against Australia next year, both with the ball and in the mind. I'm disappointed in Moeen, he showed with his century against Sri Lanka how well he can play but he's lost his way this series with the bat, he's gotten out softly again today and I think what doesn't help is all the focus on his bowling. It needs to be established he was picked as a batsman who can bowl a bit and for him to focus on that, once the wickets dry up they'll be no saving him and that's a shame because he hasn't been handled very well so far in my opinion.

Joe Root is batting well here for England. Spearheading another key partnership this summer and doing it comfortably against the new ball. India's length is all wrong currently, they should be pitching it up and it's costing them because both Root and Buttler are far too good against deliveries where they can see the pitch early.

Post #: 6935
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 5:19:46 PM   
Goodfella

England have passed 300 and their lead has passed 150 which should ease us back to feeling more comfortable as the day closes out. Jos Buttler has moved on to 40 and with considerable ease, India and Kumar in particular have bowled too full to him and he's played every shot with impeccable timing. India are still setting very attacking fields but right now neither Buttler or Root look like playing one that isn't out of the middle or the bottom of the bat.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6936
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 5:33:14 PM   
Goodfella

Root and Buttler are quite the partnership for the future if you ask me. They look so in tune with each other and both have really matured as batsmen this summer, both beyond my expectations, Buttler especially. The latter has got lucky on 45 there because Sharma finally found his length and it's just a tad too high to be given out but it was an excellent delivery that will leave the bowler feeling very luckless. The rest has gone England's way here and they should be settling in too see the final hour out here.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6937
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 5:34:48 PM   
Goodfella

What the hell is that Jos!?

Another brain fart and he chips Sharma straight to short mid-wicket. Complete giveaway and right as he looked set, fifth dismissal this innings where the batsman has given the bowler one for his numbers.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6938
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 5:37:58 PM   
Goodfella

Is it enough to wonder if five-test series, outside of the Ashes, just can't draw the focus and concentration required from modern players anymore?

India have certainly thrown the towel in and England have batted today like this is already a whitewash (which it never bloody was)....

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 16/8/2014 5:38:14 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6939
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 5:43:39 PM   
Goodfella

Keep it up England, you might just get to bowl today as well!

Woakes chases one from Kumar down the legside and nicks it to Dhoni. Poor Root is lucky to have got his deserved 50 here the way this has been going.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 16/8/2014 5:44:25 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6940
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 5:59:22 PM   
Goodfella

Magnificent from Joe Root. He's become only the third Englishman in the history of the game to score a fifty in every test of a series and he has played so well again here, he's shouldered a lot of responsibility this summer having been involved in 12 of the 28 partnerships that England have had this summer that have passed 50 and he's looked so mature in the way he's played. He's grown so much as a test player since his debut in 2012 and looking forward he's going to figure greatly and influentially in England's future.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6941
RE: England v India - 16/8/2014 6:39:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Yes, he's really playing well isn't he? Let's hope that Jordan and Broad can stick with him tomorrow. I think it is important that Broad gets to the crease and faces some deliveries. Psychologically he's going to have a lot to overcome from the last time he faced a ball, so he needs to face a few and see what happens when he gets out to the middle.

Back to Root. Its 92 off just 129 deliveries. I really think he can go 150+ if he has a partner. England might be 237 in front and safe. But no reason why they should not try to take that to 350 plus.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6942
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 11:41:42 AM   
Professor Moriarty

This is what I wanted. No airy fairy overnight declaration. Get Root another hundred. And Broad, well he's not looking scared to be at bat

Post #: 6943
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 2:49:43 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, Joe Root better than India 149* is one of those innings that is very good for the career average.

Hoping we can just finish this off now so fella can get to work on his ratings.

Post #: 6944
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 3:28:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Oooooh pick that one out. Ballance with a great catch. 44-4. Deja vu all over again for Dohni, but he doesn't fancy it this time and pops up an easy catch. 44-5 and I can't see them making triple figures today.

Post #: 6945
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 4:48:43 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Well, I was right. 94 all out. Also when I said to my wife, "just taking the dog out for a walk, expect it to be over when I come back". And India duly obliged as Jordan picks up another 3 wickets. And another crazy run out. I get the argument that the Twenty20 has taken away the Indian players ability to build a test innings. But surely, all that limited overs cricket teaches you when a run is on.

India terrible. England congratulations!

Post #: 6946
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 7:01:55 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Yes, he's really playing well isn't he? Let's hope that Jordan and Broad can stick with him tomorrow. I think it is important that Broad gets to the crease and faces some deliveries. Psychologically he's going to have a lot to overcome from the last time he faced a ball, so he needs to face a few and see what happens when he gets out to the middle.

Back to Root. Its 92 off just 129 deliveries. I really think he can go 150+ if he has a partner. England might be 237 in front and safe. But no reason why they should not try to take that to 350 plus.

And just how well did he bat today? The facial injuries he suffered factored none whatsoever as he went after the ball with a point to prove that he wasn't going to be unsettled by India, something the tourists have tried several times this series in complete vain, to the point of where it actually reeks of desperation now. India's bowling this morning was almost as poor as their batting. I know the game was close to being in the bag for England but to start the day like that there was no way that they were going to cling on to taking this into tomorrow, Joe Root played another exceptional innings of high quality batting, his movement at the crease was inch-perfect and his technique was so sound it gave him the freedom to play off the front and back foot and to be in complete control of everything. But India's bowling to him was bloody dreadful - how many times did they serve him up juicy half-length balls outside his offstump? Easy runs for such a composed player. They made it even harder on themselves than it was already going to be. Sharma went totally into his shell. Aaron is here one minute, gone the next and Kumar was getting slower and slower with no swing, making it even more comfortable for the batsmen. There are three candidates for player of the series - Jimmy (who got it), Ballance and Root - and I'm not saying Jimmy didn't deserve it but I'd have given it to Root. A half century in every test, the spearhead of the three key partnerships for England in the last three winning tests and such a great deal of maturity shown by such a young player, both with the bat and in the field. Take nothing away from Jimmy though, he's set up every India collapse this series and he's done it with irrepressible new-ball bowling. He's four wickets away from making history and he's just so difficult to play in these conditions, he swings it both ways and is a deceptive and cunning bowler who will set you up every time, he's so difficult to score off as well which means you struggle to ease the pressure. He ties up batsmen and eventually gets them, or forces them into a mistake. Woakes and Jordan have bowled much better in this test but it's helped to have them follow up Jimmy because some of their dismissals have been the batsmen playing a loose stroke as they try to relieve the pressure and move the scoreboard along after somehow managing to survive against Jimmy.

Having said that India's batting has been so abject that if the formula above didn't work it won't take long to find one that does. The batting today was absolutely suicidal from a number of their better players, starting with the experienced Gambhir who has done absolutely nothing in these last few tests to vindicate dropping Dhawan for him. He has the same problems as Dhawan anyway, as in he doesn't move his feet and will often play late at fuller, wider deliveries and at playing across the line of balls on a good length because he doesn't move his feet and just tries to sit on his offstump, and his running between the wickets hasn't so much lacked tenacity and determination as it has contained any real interest at all. Both run-outs today took place with runs that were never on, but at least make it look like you want to try and save yourself! Both Gambhir and Aaron were in stride of a mix between jogging and briskly walking when their stumps were knocked out of the ground. It's an embarrassment to yourself, much let alone the rest of your team and your fans. The BCCI deserve so much more criticism and flack than they're getting for the root cause of the problems for India in test cricket but there is no excuse for playing that poorly. That's a real attitude problem and a lack of fitness as well, it shows in the field too, it's lazy. Gambhir has completely lost his way, for five years he is one of the best cricketers in the world, a real, hardened old-school player who would make you work to the bone to get his wicket. Now he may as well have walked off the pitch with his head bowed past Chris Woakes and got the young all-rounder his foot-bath ready for tonight, he shouldn't play test cricket again after that, he doesn't deserve too and that's probably the end of his career to be honest.

I actually thought Pujara, despite only making 11 runs, batted reasonably well up until when he got out. He might very well be the one flickering light in India's very dark tunnel. He's built for test cricket and too often this series he's been abandoned by his team-mates and unable to build a partnership, he's gone in too early too often and has had to try and farm too much of Jimmy because he's only the top-order batsman who can. If India (the BCCI) are really interested in improving themselves in test cricket outside of the sub-continent they will use Pujara as the template. He's not made that many runs this series but he has shown how you leave a moving ball and how you play in England against the new ball early. There are even some saying this series that he could be a replacement for Dhoni as test captain and that's not a bad shout. I don't see the point in giving to Kohli, who clearly has lost his way on how to play the longer format of the game in England. That technique he has he just doesn't use, he's that wrapped up in a one-day mindset he's practically standing side-on and playing everything he should leave, and leaving everything he should play. The rest is just a mess of young, talented batsmen who have had no real focus on coaching and preparation for test cricket outside their own quarters, and when things start going wrong their confidence completely shreds. They're not anywhere close to bad players but they don't know what they're doing and the really sad thing is that if you look at the runs Vijay and Rahane have made this series, when they've had moments when they've been in rhythm, they've looked fantastic. No-one can tell me they're not capable, they're just not being given the chance to develop for this format, they're being robbed of the chance to replace the golden generation in India and they'll be the ones taken to pieces back home, which is all very well and good, but it's not addressing the real core of the problem and it just leaves a group of very young men feeling incredibly ashamed of themselves. That's not good and that's not fair, and it makes me angry because test cricket will not be the same without a competitive Indian team at the very least.

Dhoni's dismissal today ended proceedings for them. He expected that ball to do something off the top of the pitch and in the end it just went straight and he popped it up for a simple catch. He's on his own completely and clearly in these last few tests he's known this and has just taken on a self-appointed plan with the batting to try and rescue some dignity for himself and his team-mates. You can't build partnerships with players who don't have a clue what they're doing so he's just stood there and tried to middle everything and today he deceived himself by getting a ball he'd usually hit straight back down the ground for four and thought it was one that needed a forward defensive late against the swing.

India's brutal and comical capitulation takes absolutely none of the credit away from England's dominant and clinical comeback though. It is almost hard to judge the balance of exactly how bad India have been versus exactly how good England have been, the first two test England were so poor it may well have papered over cracks already there from India, especially if you take how poorly we bowled on the perfect pitch in the first innings at Lord's. I think we can take a lot of spirit from the fact we've done a lot of the things we should do well very well, like bowling in the right areas, building partnerships with the bat and a young player like Root, who hasn't been out of form even prior to this series, growing into his game by improving his own technique even though he's been scoring runs, and then someone like Jos Buttler who has played terrifically well this early in his test career. I will say this, it's far from done and the mediocre bowling England have faced means it's hard to judge just how settled our batting really is now. For starters, we already know we have problems with Sam Robson and Moeen Ali there, although I back the latter to turn it around in the West Indies if he gets the chance, and I think we also need to look at our last innings and some of the dismissals there and ask ourselves, if that was Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson, would that have been another collapse? Our bowling doesn't bother me as much as our batting but it's important Woakes and Jordan progress next April as test bowlers, Jimmy and Broad can handle a heavy workload which eases the tension but if one of them breaks down we could have a real problem. We need to look at how we're going to develop a young spinner too, we've missed the boat a bit there with the county season finishing next month, but I'd be looking to take two young spinners abroad with the England Lions in January. Perhaps both Simon Kerrigan and Ravi Patel. I'm not a Rashid or Rafiq fan, and I see the latter is already off from Headingley anyway, so that says a lot about the problems he's been experiencing both on and off the field.

England have positives. They have form back, individually and as a team. They have a captain scoring runs and his self-confidence and trust in his instincts growing. They have several young players really emerging and taking strong roles in the future. But they still have areas of quite major need to address and not much time to do it with. Understandably the centre of attention turns to one-day cricket now, with the World Cup next year, but behind the scenes we have to continue working. We have to monitor Sam Robson's progress at Middlesex and ask the coaches there to work on his technique around his offstump, don't just bury our heads in the sand and hope because he scores a couple of county hundreds that means the problem's sorted. If Moeen Ali plays in the ODIs and T20s work with him there against the shorter ball and try and get him scoring some runs to lift his confidence. Also, use this one-day series to bring in some players who we really believe can make an impact at next year's World Cup. Pick Hales. Pick Roy. Use Ravi more as a genuine all-rounder. Give Bairstow a go as a pinch-hitter. Stick with Tredwell as the spinner because I think his flighty offbreaks can be a problem in Australia and New Zealand and get Stokes back in for the one-dayers as well. This is a team I'd like to see:

Cook (c), Hales, Bopara, Root, Buttler (wkt), Morgan, Bairstow, Jordan, Tredwell, Anderson, Finn

Drop Bell, I don't think he's sufficient enough for us in one-day cricket anymore, give Ravi number three as he can guide an innings. Pick Roy as 12th man and give him some experience at some point in the series.

EDIT: On the note of umpiring, it was complete cack again today wasn't it? I'm with Geoffrey, we all want more decisions to be right than wrong, and the system will never be made compeletely infallible so for the love of God the ICC need to find a way to implement DRS and keep it. How on earth the umpires thought Jimmy Anderson was out lbw today I'll never know. That drifted so far down leg it was almost going to leg-slip...

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 18/8/2014 8:42:20 PM >

Post #: 6947
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 7:43:41 PM   
Goodfella

Bloody superb catch from Ballance too. Wasn't going to carry to Bell and he had to go full stretch, quick, low and across second slip to snaffle it, and after he'd had a rap on the knuckles earlier. He really is an electric player at the moment.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6948
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 9:15:53 PM   
Goodfella

Here is a statistic I discovered on Twitter that is both very fitting and speaks volumes:

In their last five T20 innings India have scored 736 runs, more than the 733 they have scored in their last five test innings.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6949
RE: England v India - 17/8/2014 9:33:18 PM   
Goodfella

Loved Cooky's interview this evening. It was so heartfelt, so full of joy, delight and excitement for the future of English cricket, when he said how he wanted everybody to notice from the performances of some of the younger players this series how "we've got some seriously good young cricketers in England", he said it almost like a kid waiting to open their presents on Christmas day, he believes so much in himself now and all the players and coaches around him and that's only good news for the future of English cricket.

Cook's steely inner-determination has always been referenced by those around him. Because he has the look and charisma of a polite gentleman farmer it isn't often fully believed, but it's there and he's shown it this series. Going into Southampton he must have felt the world was against him, and to a degree, bar a handful of us and two of us here can hold our heads high (I don't mean to sound smug but we're gonna fucking remember this one!), it was. But he never stopped believing he could turn it around, he dug in, he got some ugly runs and he used that as the springboard to transform his and England's game. He must have been on the floor after the Lord's test and to lift himself, and his team, back up to take sole charge of this series, even with India's poor play, is an incredible achievement. Whilst India were getting things so wrong, he was also getting them so right so that the gulf in class just grew. There wasn't really a set formula; he just didn't give up until he got things right and then he used that momentum to continue to do well, he trusted his instincts more because he believed in his own form and he made little adjustments that gave him a bit more freedom as a captain, like talking to his bowlers more and instructing them on their own fields but then trusting once they found their rhythm that he could rely on their judgement as world-class senior bowlers. It's paid off, and in a dominant and very convincing way. He resisted what I'm sure was a huge temptation to rub it in tonight as well. He's always said this wasn't about proving anybody wrong, it was about proving to himself and to his team-mates and his family that he could captain England well again, and that's why he brought up his wife Alice tonight and I think this further proves the class act Cook is. Modern sport may scorn at such sentiment but having somebody with this attitude and this outlook on life makes him half the leader he needs to be already, and it's why so many fail who don't have it.

Tactically, he can always improve. Every captain can. But the day, the pitch, the conditions, the form, the luck can always change that, even if you start making the right call. For me the key is trusting yourself, Cook didn't trust himself enough before Southampton and it weighed everything down and it forced more indecision than outright mistakes. That's gone now and long may it continue. Well done Cooky, we are so proud of you and we'll say it for you - Let's hear you critics now!!!

EDIT: I think the question of where England go next is answered with a question. We have to ask ourselves, if the Ashes started tomorrow and we had no more preparation time, do we think we can beat Australia as the two teams stand at the moment? I would say that, without the confidence of a series win fooling us, we are probably not quite good enough yet because of how much better their bowling is now as individuals and as a unit, than it was in 2009 and 2010/11.

What we have to do then is work out our weakest areas and go to work on them against the West Indies and New Zealand. Footwork is definitely an issue for our batsmen and if they're going to get the better of a bowler like Ryan Harris they need to improve. He will bang it on that line consistently and be both a genuine wicket-threat and a bowler who is incredibly difficult to score off. It's less about form with our batsmen than it is about technique and mechanics. Get those right, and the rest will eventually follow. You can't play yourself into good, consistent form against good bowling unless you are getting the basics right. It's important as well that batsmen like Gary Ballance recognise they still have areas to work on and not get carried away with this series, they faced mediocre bowling and they need to prepare for far bigger tests

Our fielding has also really improved this series, it's been very modern in terms of ability and athleticism. That I think we can attribute to Peter Moores influence. As a coach fitness, preparation and test stamina are all key areas of Moores as a coach, and one of the main roles of a cricket coach anyway. The stamina being that, that even when you've got a 250-run first innings lead and have them six wickets down and they pop one down through an empty third man you don't give up the chase from gully. Moores selection was indicative of the ECB's desire to find that 2010 team ethos, attitude and fitness that Andy Flower instilled, and that is exactly what Moores brings to the camp. Some players won't like parts of it, but that's the expectation on the modern sportsman. They get paid the money for it, so that's the way the game and sport is heading. Get used too it.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 17/8/2014 10:49:18 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6950
RE: England v India - 18/8/2014 8:04:45 AM   
Professor Moriarty

A great summer of cricket. Enjoyed every minute of it, and thanks for all your insightful comments and answering my questions.

I guess we shall meet again on Valentine's Day

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6951
RE: England v India - 18/8/2014 8:46:58 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

A great summer of cricket. Enjoyed every minute of it, and thanks for all your insightful comments and answering my questions.

I guess we shall meet again on Valentine's Day

The pleasure is all mine my friend, as always. Win or lose, joy or tears, test cricket always makes my summer seem such a brighter place and I'm always sad it ends as quickly as it seems to start.

Don't worry, we'll always have Paris ....we still have the one-day series too! Starts in Bristol on Monday. England's ODI and T20 squad released today - ODI and T20 squad - I feel England are missing out with a couple of selections. I'd have picked Jason Roy and Johnny Bairstow with an eye on the World Cup next year, I don't know why the selectors refuse to open up too playing Bairstow as a pinch-hitter. They may as well give up on him if they're never going to consider it an option because he's not at all likely to budge Jos Buttler from the gloves. Roy's a very talented and exciting young batsman who's main strengths are built for one-day cricket, why wait? Pick him now. He's a cocky sod as well so I don't think the pressure of the situation is going to effect him too greatly.

Where's Ravi as well? What's he done wrong? He's been in good form this season and if you use him properly he's an all-rounder in one-day cricket. A steady accumulator with the bat who can settle an innings today and a nurdler with the ball who's tricky to score off and who has a habit of picking up wickets through pressure, he can get the old white balls to reverse as well. I'm pleased Hales, Ballance and Tredwell are in the squad but for me the selectors have lacked bravery in their decisions. The squad is too similar to the one that played in the West Indies and really struggled and, bar Hales, the one change they've made is to bring in a player who's established himself in the test squad. While Ballance is a good pick he easily could have been selected for ODI cricket before test cricket, it's the right decision, but made at this point for the wrong reasons. Harry Gurney didn't show me a lot during the recent Lions tour either, he really struggled with his consistency and still looks quite raw. I hope he does well but England are attracted to him more because he's a left-arm quick and we rarely produce those and they fancy him for the wickets we'll see in Australia and New Zealand next year. That's all very well and good but if he doesn't progress as a bowler and leaks runs the way he did at Taunton then it's not going to work out how we planned is it?

But, back to test cricket for the moment. After several years spent pondering and deliberating I've finally decided now is the time in my life for me to go following England abroad again. I have the money more now and I've decided to do the Antigua test of the West Indies next year. I've never been to the Caribbean before and a number of reasons attract me to this tour ranging from the prices to the food to the what I can gather of the general area outside of just the cricket, it also fits in well with my job in terms of being able to get the required time off in April. The plan's in the early works stages but I'm very excited already! I have visions of rum and ginger beer, jerk chicken and celebrating Jimmy Anderson's 384th test wicket set firmly in my mind!

Post #: 6952
RE: England v India - 18/8/2014 9:58:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Paris!? I thought we opened the WC against Aus at the MCG

You've pissed on my chips. Tickets on sale tomorrow for 8 May ODI Ireland vs England, which I decided to invest in. It's not quite Antigua though

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6953
RE: England v India - 18/8/2014 10:14:36 PM   
Goodfella

Did you hear about this 'cock and balls selfie' Twitter scandal involving Beefy this morning? It would appear, and I do believe him, that his twitter was hacked and that was, thankfully, in fact not a picture of his crown jewels.

The best thing about this whole yet another sportstar social media hacking is that someone, much to everyone's amusement, replied with a picture of Beefy and Piers Morgan from his TV chat show with the words underneath....

"Hardly the most embarrassing dick Beefy has appeared with!"

I especially enjoyed it!

quote:

Paris!? I thought we opened the WC against Aus at the MCG

You've pissed on my chips. Tickets on sale tomorrow for 8 May ODI Ireland vs England, which I decided to invest in. It's not quite Antigua though

It's good that I'm a single man in my late 20s and can deal with my closeted bitterness towards my engine failure of a love life by enjoying Valentine's Day in the company of England and Australia spitting hate at each other over a white cricket ball!

The starts will be at 2 to 3am in the morning though, which is going to be a right pain! What do you think of England's new one-day shirt? It's quite nice from a distance but the modern sports replica shirts and kits have gone uber-tight. Unless you are of a perfect gym frame (and I occasionally muster the strength for a gym visit but can rarely stomach all the vain, gloating twats those places now attract) it's hard to find a fit. It's hard not to chuckle at how quintessential it is we are now sponsored by Waitrose too. So English. So middle class. It's like the ECB have freaked out a little bit and reverted to type there, maybe it was all those Vodafone girls wandering around the nursery ground at Lord's that did it for them. "We're not having any of this gents!"

Wow, those tickets go on sale early. I'm assuming there's a high demand? Well, even looking that far ahead, I hope it's a good game and the weather doesn't play foul! What sort of price are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm intrigued as to what's charged for international cricket over there, and that's what the difference between when you play England and the other nations? I'm trying to put my Antigua package together currently, albeit it rather unsuccessfully without spending a small fortune. I may just go all inclusive, it looks far cheaper and easier and I'm not having my luggage lost at JFK just to save myself a hundred quid....

Post #: 6954
RE: England v India - 19/8/2014 9:56:52 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

The starts will be at 2 to 3am in the morning though, which is going to be a right pain!

Hopefully I'm gonna have a couple of 2-3 month old babies around then. So, dad's already scheduled himself for the night feeds

quote:

What do you think of England's new one-day shirt? It's quite nice from a distance but the modern sports replica shirts and kits have gone uber-tight. Unless you are of a perfect gym frame (and I occasionally muster the strength for a gym visit but can rarely stomach all the vain, gloating twats those places now attract) it's hard to find a fit. It's hard not to chuckle at how quintessential it is we are now sponsored by Waitrose too. So English. So middle class. It's like the ECB have freaked out a little bit and reverted to type there, maybe it was all those Vodafone girls wandering around the nursery ground at Lord's that did it for them. "We're not having any of this gents!"

Wow, those tickets go on sale early. I'm assuming there's a high demand? Well, even looking that far ahead, I hope it's a good game and the weather doesn't play foul! What sort of price are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm intrigued as to what's charged for international cricket over there, and that's what the difference between when you play England and the other nations? I'm trying to put my Antigua package together currently, albeit it rather unsuccessfully without spending a small fortune. I may just go all inclusive, it looks far cheaper and easier and I'm not having my luggage lost at JFK just to save myself a hundred quid....

Tickets are Euro 45 (of course with the added fiver to TicketMaster too). U16s are 15 Euro. I think the 40 quid is quite expensive, but as the wife reckons that 6 months old is too young for me to take them to the cricket, she won't be coming so it will be just 1 ticket. There is a 3 x 1-day series vs. Scotland coming up at the start of Sept. I'm still thinking about going, weather and work dependent. I'd say that a walk in there will be no problem. The price of admission 10 Euro. I'm probably expecting it, but I think some ticket buyers will be disappointed if the big England stars don't make the trip for the 45 quid. Personally I'll be happy with a few fringe players and I'll expect Eoin Morgan to turn up, would love to see Buttler bat on this ground too.

I'm not sure if the demand is that great as to why they are on sale. Cricket has an interesting history in Ireland. It actually used to be probably the most popular sport here, but for some reason after Independence the GAA games of football and hurling became more popular

To put this pricing into context I'm going to the NFL at the end of the month. Penn State vs UCF at Croke Park (Google it if you don't know the stadia its an 80,000 one and one of the best in Europe). Tickets are a similar price. But they also have a really great family ticket for 2 adults and 2 kids at 50 Euro. They've really done a lot of work in growing that brand, I think when the Fighting Irish came over a couple of years ago the number of American fans who travelled with it was just phenomenal.

EDIT: Just found the family price for the cricket. 4 x 27.50 so you are over a hundred Euro. I love cricket, but I know which of these two events I'd be taking my family to if they were old enough.

Be sure to keep posting when you are in the West Indies. Unless you are watching it from the hot tub. That'd just be rubbing it in.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 19/8/2014 10:11:46 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6955
RE: England v India - 19/8/2014 10:37:17 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

The starts will be at 2 to 3am in the morning though, which is going to be a right pain!

Hopefully I'm gonna have a couple of 2-3 month old babies around then. So, dad's already scheduled himself for the night feeds

quote:

What do you think of England's new one-day shirt? It's quite nice from a distance but the modern sports replica shirts and kits have gone uber-tight. Unless you are of a perfect gym frame (and I occasionally muster the strength for a gym visit but can rarely stomach all the vain, gloating twats those places now attract) it's hard to find a fit. It's hard not to chuckle at how quintessential it is we are now sponsored by Waitrose too. So English. So middle class. It's like the ECB have freaked out a little bit and reverted to type there, maybe it was all those Vodafone girls wandering around the nursery ground at Lord's that did it for them. "We're not having any of this gents!"

Tickets are Euro 45 (of course with the added fiver to TicketMaster too). U16s are 15 Euro. I think the 40 quid is quite expensive, but as the wife reckons that 6 months old is too young for me to take them to the cricket, she won't be coming so it will be just 1 ticket. There is a 3 x 1-day series vs. Scotland coming up at the start of Sept. I'm still thinking about going, weather and work dependent. I'd say that a walk in there will be no problem. The price of admission 10 Euro. I'm probably expecting it, but I think some ticket buyers will be disappointed if the big England stars don't make the trip for the 45 quid. Personally I'll be happy with a few fringe players and I'll expect Eoin Morgan to turn up, would love to see Buttler bat on this ground too.

I'm not sure if the demand is that great as to why they are on sale. Cricket has an interesting history in Ireland. It actually used to be probably the most popular sport here, but for some reason after Independence the GAA games of football and hurling became more popular

To put this pricing into context I'm going to the NFL at the end of the month. Penn State vs UCF at Croke Park (Google it if you don't know the stadia its an 80,000 one and one of the best in Europe). Tickets are a similar price. But they also have a really great family ticket for 2 adults and 2 kids at 50 Euro. They've really done a lot of work in growing that brand, I think when the Fighting Irish came over a couple of years ago the number of American fans who travelled with it was just phenomenal.

EDIT: Just found the family price for the cricket. 4 x 27.50 so you are over a hundred Euro. I love cricket, but I know which of these two events I'd be taking my family to if they were old enough.

Be sure to keep posting when you are in the West Indies. Unless you are watching it from the hot tub. That'd just be rubbing it in.

Many congratulations mate, that's wonderful news, good luck with everything and you will have to post some pictures of your little ones first cricket experiences come February!

I think 40 for an ODI isn't too bad, it's about 10-15 less than what you'd pay over here on average, depending upon where you go, who is touring and where you sit. I've paid anything from 50 to 80 for ODI cricket over the years, although New Zealand at Bristol in 2008 really sticks in my mind as one I really came to begrudge. It was 55 a ticket, plus a 5 booking fee each, and the ground was in such an awful state. It was before all the renovation work and we were stuck on a makeshift stand on a mound where most of the chairs were bent or cracked. It was the only stand completely in the open and it was miles from the beer and food tents, or what seemed like it anyway. Where the value seems to decrease with cricket tickets is that because it's an all-day event you've got to eat and drink, even if it's not alcohol, and that immediately increases the amount you spend by some distance because it's very expensive. And, let's be honest, most of us have a bevvie or two (or six!) if we can and whilst I think the ticket prices still offer very good value for money if you are an earnest supporter of the game (consider them versus football tickets and how much sport you get to see for what you pay) but by the end of it all you've spent far more and in some cases it can even double or triple and that's when it becomes an issue. Lord's remains the only international ground that will let you take a certain amount of your own alcohol in as well. I wouldn't mind so much if the other international grounds stocked a decent selection of beers and ciders, but often they don't. Carlsberg, Strongbow or John's Piss? Take me to the Pimms tent. RIGHT NOW.

I do know Croke Park and I do know my football yes, in fact I've dropped you a PM about it. I've been to all the NFL's IS games at Wembley and in fact the website I write for are currently sponsored by Club Wembley and work with us on their promotions for packages for the NFL games. That family deal is very reasonable indeed and one that reminds me of watching college football in the States because they do the same offer there. It's very much a family game, especially when it comes to college football because of the sense of community amongst the fans. I'm very much glad the Croke Park Classic is here to stay, the connections between the game's history and traditions and the Irish are amazing and it doesn't surprise me it attracts so many fans. Both Penn State and UCF have modern, as well as historical, connections to Ireland and Dublin, not least of all with UCF's current head coach, George O'Leary, who, no guessing required, is of Irish heritage. Understandably with a Notre Dame game you're going to get a phenomenal level of support travelling from the States and all over the world to watch the game. Notre Dame is an Irish Catholic independent school and the majority of it's alumni pick the school because of their own backgrounds and the appeal it has for them. For the forthcoming game you've got some even deeper and more historical ties between Ireland and the two colleges, and excuse my rambling, but;

- Ireland is inside the top ten markets for Pennsylvanian exports in the world, which gives you an idea of the cultural similarities between the state and the country. Pennsylvania also imports $1 billion of Irish products every year.
- Florida is the most visited US state by Irish tourists. Florida is also a state very heavy on it's military roots, with the largest batallion of Irish-heritage US Rangers and Marines still based there.
- William Penn who founded Pennsylvania and and was a founding member of the first board of Penn State grew up in County Cork.

A few pointless for-quiz facts there but it goes to show furthermore how close Ireland the US are, and remain still, and how the NCAA are building the brand in Ireland by starting with games between teams who very much have Irish blood running through them. You can also expect a packed house in a week and a bit's time, Penn State haul in 109,000 every weekend at Beaver Stadium and they have an alumni all over the Western World that easily passes 200,000. They're support is quite incredible...

That's a 'white-out' at a home game. Not anywhere near as racist as it might suggest, it's where all the supporters dress (and paint in some cases) themselves in the college's traditional colours of white (and blue). It's quite a sight to see and I hope that they're stand does it for the game next week. I don't know how much you know about Penn State and their history, but you are probably aware of the Jerry Sandusky scandal and Joe Paterno? Penn State, easily one of the most storied college football programs in the history of the game, have been to hell and back the last half-decade and they'll forever be tainted by what happened. They are starting to step somewhat out of the gloom though. They have a new, bright and invogrative young head coach in James Franklin who took a small school team to the next level in a big way in his last job, they have a sophomore quarterback in Christian Hackenberg who had a fine freshman year and made a lot of early progression with his talent and they are competing again this year without the pressure of a post-season, which obviously is not want anybody really wants, but it does present them the opportunity to be more creative and hopefully give you three and a bit hours of very entertaining football!

But I'm going to stop now, because I could go on forever...

I hope it's a great day for you mate and if it converts you into a Penn State fan I'll be over the moon!

Post #: 6956
Page:   <<   < prev  228 229 230 231 [232]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England v India Page: <<   < prev  228 229 230 231 [232]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI