Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: World Twenty20

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: World Twenty20 Page: <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: World Twenty20 - 2/10/2012 12:25:53 AM   
Goodfella

As for Piers Morgan and his tweets again today.

Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
REMINDER: Kevin Pietersen is in the commentary box for this game. The bloody commentary box!!!!! #SackFlower #BringBackKP
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
6h Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
REMINDER: Andy Flower believed Bopara/Hales/Patel etc would do a better job in this T20 World Cup than the world's best T20 batsman. Idiot.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
6h Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
Flower's childish obstinacy cost us the SA series, is costing us the T20 World Cup, and will get us hammered in India. #BringBackKP

I would happily spend a night in a cell just to break that guy's fingers with KP's adidas cricket bat just so he could never hold an i-pad again, let alone tweet. He's an utter cunt. I hate him with every fibre of my being, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire and the world depended on him staying alive. Sack Flower? Cretin, also it's the World T20 you fucking plum, not the World Cup.

I think I need to go and calm down now.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4381
RE: World Twenty20 - 2/10/2012 8:19:03 AM   
impqueen

Just remember that Morgan is a twat, I would have said cunt but I don't want to offend.

Anyway yep, the changes made to the team yesterday were puzzling and infuriating. I have nothing more to really say, except that I'm enjoying the tournament and though I'm gutted England have gone out (they should have listened to my cries of SMASH IT! in the final few Overs ) and I quickly became bored as feck with all the mentions of KP throughout (my avoidance plan having failed spectacularly) onwards and upwards...

< Message edited by impqueen -- 2/10/2012 8:24:29 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4382
RE: World Twenty20 - 2/10/2012 9:40:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I was quite amused to see India go out on an inferior run rate, they must be seriously pissed off they won four out of their five matches! South Africa have been awful and their batting failed badly especially the much vaunted Amla/ Levi combination.

Pakistan are bloody good in T20s they are always thereabouts - four semis, two finals and a win however I get the feeling that the Sri Lankans will do them, the bowling is evenly matched but the Lankan's batting has more world class performers. In the other semi it's really down to Gayle as he needs to fire to give them a chance - their bowling will be put under a lot of pressure by the likes of Hussey and Watson.

I predict a Sri Lanka vs Australia final with the Sri Lankans coming out on top in favourable conditions at home. I would love to see the West Indies win the thing though as they've been through tough times in recent years.

As for England it's back to the drawing board - they need to buck up their ideas or it's going to be a painful trip to India later in the year. There must be something up with the coaching as no other team has had so many problems with spin over the past year. Just look at people like Hussey/ Watson scoring off Pakistan/ India's spin attacks for example, as Australians they're not exactly getting huge experience playing in these conditions.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 4383
RE: World Twenty20 - 3/10/2012 2:29:56 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I was quite amused to see India go out on an inferior run rate, they must be seriously pissed off they won four out of their five matches! South Africa have been awful and their batting failed badly especially the much vaunted Amla/ Levi combination.

I'm glad you mentioned this as out of South Africa's T20 squad, 10 of them have IPL contracts and 9 of them played regularly for their franchises just this year, yet they can never seem to muster up a serious challenge to a world one-day trophy. Guess that goes some of the way to put paid to the theory about playing more IPL cricket making all the difference?

quote:

Pakistan are bloody good in T20s they are always thereabouts - four semis, two finals and a win however I get the feeling that the Sri Lankans will do them, the bowling is evenly matched but the Lankan's batting has more world class performers. In the other semi it's really down to Gayle as he needs to fire to give them a chance - their bowling will be put under a lot of pressure by the likes of Hussey and Watson.

Pakistan v Sri Lanka will be an excellent semi-final because it is simply too close to call, both teams thrive in these conditions and Pakistan's bowling has been immense so far this tournament, being able to bring Umar Gul in as a fourth option strike bowler is something most T20 captains would give their right arm (or perhaps not!) for. If Pakistan fire with the bat I'd fancy them as I think if Sri Lanka win the toss they'll field first, they'd prefer to chase. As for Australia v West Indies, I agree, the Windies bowled will be swept to all parts unless Gayle's early blasts give the Windies a sizeable enough score.

I'll take a Pakistan v Australia final with Australia the eventual winners.

quote:

As for England it's back to the drawing board - they need to buck up their ideas or it's going to be a painful trip to India later in the year. There must be something up with the coaching as no other team has had so many problems with spin over the past year. Just look at people like Hussey/ Watson scoring off Pakistan/ India's spin attacks for example, as Australians they're not exactly getting huge experience playing in these conditions.

It's alright, according to a big percentage of England fans, we just need Pietersen back and it'll all be fine for India, just like it was in the UAE at the beginning of the year. He's been handed a four-month contract under instruction of a reintegration period, fuck knows what that means, if he's going to India he'll play so frankly it sounds bollocks if you ask me, for lack of a better term. The smug look on his face as he sat there during another one of his sodding media appearances made me want to rip the screen off my television but there we go. He's the greatest player to ever play for England isn't he? We all heart KP. #KProcks#SackFlower#TrendTrendTrend#fuckingbullshit.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 4384
RE: World Twenty20 - 4/10/2012 9:13:41 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Sri Lanka were excellent today, they have so many bowling options the batsmen keep getting some new sent at them and can't settle down - that combined with a sub-standard pitch and Pakistan's brittle batting line up meant a 140 chase was never going to be straightforward and so it proved.

Next up is Windies/ Australia - I would expect the Aussies to win but really hope Gayle fires the Windies to a good score

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4385
RE: World Twenty20 - 5/10/2012 6:07:12 PM   
JessFranco

HELL YEAH!

Still don't think we'll beat Sri Lanka but damn, that was a fine victory.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

Post #: 4386
RE: World Twenty20 - 6/10/2012 3:12:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Great victory you smacked them all over the park, 200+ against the Australians is a huge score. Not sure who to support in the final I like both teams, Sri Lanka have lost a few big finals in recent years so they are due one, West Indies have also suffered so it would be great to see them bag the trophy.

Sri Lanka are favs but when Gayle starts blasting no ones safe!

Also the England ladies team are in the final beforehand - should be a comfortable win against the Aussies

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 6/10/2012 3:13:41 PM >

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 4387
RE: World Twenty20 - 7/10/2012 6:28:13 PM   
Goodfella

Well done West Indies, what a game of Twenty20 cricket! I thoroughly enjoyed that right from the first ball and I loved the flair and delight of the West Indian celebration, I really, really hope this goes on to inspire the future generations of young West Indian cricketers, yes test cricket is and always should be the staple, but with a sport like cricket and the way it is dying in the Caribbean due to the swell of interest in athletics and basketball, I will take anything and this is a wonderful day for the Islands. Lovely dedication from Darren Sammy there at the end to a lifelong fan.

Sri Lanka lost complete composure as the drizzle started to set in this evening, something that they will feel disappointed and ashamed about as they would have fancied themselves chasing 139 in their own conditions. They didn't time the ball well, they made England-esque mistakes against Badree and Narine's neat legspin by not picking length and Jaywaradene was the biggest culprit by riding on predictable reverse sweeps with a third man in, there was a real lack of communication between the stumps as well and that just continued to boost the Windies confidence, in the end they flew home and with Marlon Samuels game-changing knock of 76 from 58 they always looked to have the edge if they could get the key wickets of Sangakkara and Jaywaradene before they exploded and they did just that.

They should be very proud, they've had an exciting, entertaining and energetic tournament. Commiserations to the hosts but the Windies will celebrate long and hard and rightly so!

Post #: 4388
RE: World Twenty20 - 8/10/2012 5:16:27 AM   
boaby

Yas min WIndies mins.

They've had a swagger back for a wee while, nice to see some justification for it. They've some tidy plaaars and a few real game changers.

Nae a fan of T20 really but the latter stages were a good watch. The WIndies innings against the dastardly Aussies was particularly fine.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4389
RE: World Twenty20 - 8/10/2012 7:29:54 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

That was a great final completely turned itself around from the Windies terrible start scoring virtually nothing and losing Gayle cheaply, to Samuels brilliant fightback taking on Malinga through to Sri Lanka's collapse under pressure. This was the best result for world cricket as we need a successful Windies side

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4390
RE: World Twenty20 - 9/10/2012 3:16:13 PM   
Goodfella

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19876782

Without wanting to sound too cynical too early it does sound a little, shall we say, curious, that the BCCI (and it is the BCCI as they pretty much own all the Indian broadcasting agencies, especially those that buy and distribute rights to sporting events) are reporting this now (I'm assuming they held onto the story as the tournament started for fear of not wanting to jeopardize financial revenue not to mention their own country's chances) after India struggled quite magestically during the World T20 and the umpires in question are all from their three rival sub-continent nations.

As for the continuing Pietersen saga (which I for one can't wait to see the back of in all forms!) I do think David Collier is a fool to himself for suggesting the South African players "coaxed" Pietersen into sending them derogotary texts. For starters Pietersen doesn't need coaxing into any opportunity to flex his ego, it comes naturally to him, and anyway who sent the first text is irrelevant. If Pietersen was that much of a moronic tosser to blindly walk down that alley, then he deserves everything he's got coming, which is hopefully a series of ducks in India that will silence his irritating, cricket-illieterate fans who are arguably thicker than his disgusting hair gel.

The best day of my support for English cricket over the next five years will be the one on which I log onto Cricinfo and see the definitive headline - "Pietersen retires from international cricket."

Post #: 4391
RE: World Twenty20 - 16/10/2012 5:44:00 PM   
Goodfella

It's quite quiet on the cricketing front at the moment with the test squad due to fly out to Abu Dhabi next week ahead of the series in India next month. Pietersen is due in London this week for clear-the-air talks "with ECB officials and his fellow players." David Collier and co's attempts to backspin the whole affair onto CSA rightly came back to bite them and have helped turn the whole thing into this media monstrosity that the ECB were supposed to be first avoiding when they announced that they were going to discuss and hopefully settle matters with Pietersen in private. It's been anything but and the sooner we get this out of the way the better so that everyone, including the back-pages, can focus on the impending tough series in the sub-continent.

Some sad news this week as we also learn that former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe is battling cancer of the immune system. Just 50 year years old, he played 77 tests for his home nation scoring over 5,000 runs and we wish him all the very best in a full and speedy recovery

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4392
RE: World Twenty20 - 18/10/2012 5:47:02 PM   
The Lensman

The only thing I will say about KP's return to International cricket is: it would of been interesting had an England team been playing better in all formats of the game would KP be brought back into the team.

If the guys had been full of confidence and results backed them, I don't think we would of seen him anywhere near the team.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4393
RE: World Twenty20 - 19/10/2012 12:46:51 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

The only thing I will say about KP's return to International cricket is: it would of been interesting had an England team been playing better in all formats of the game would KP be brought back into the team.

If the guys had been full of confidence and results backed them, I don't think we would of seen him anywhere near the team.

I probably shouldn't post too much because I'm quite drunk right now.

But I'll say this - KP has a lot less influence on England winning than his fan club (the majority of which is Indian by the way) seem to think. This chestnut of "England can't win without KP" is utter crap. We could have picked to pieces the reasons for England's failures all year (bear in mind that KP played five months of worth of cricket for England before any of this even came to light and he was dropped and in tests alone that resulted in a 3-0 series defeat and a scruff-of-the-neck 1-1 draw) and we have done mainly because with England we've been there done that. See November 2005 if you want a reference point.

I'm so utterly disappointed and ashamed in the ECB, they have copped out in such a big style over this whole fiasco. They should have stuck to their guns and followed through on the selfish, egotistical prick, but they didn't, they got bought in, just like they did with Allen Stanford for example. This will come back to poison England, I said it after the KP/Moores fallout and IT WILL HAPPEN again, only this time the precedent it sets has the potential for a lasting and very damage effect on English cricket, both domestically and internationally, for years to come.

I can't wait to see the back of him. Unloyal, two-faced traitor. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Okay I'm going to stop now, I just hope the likes of Root and Compton get a match this winter.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 4394
RE: World Twenty20 - 19/10/2012 7:53:12 AM   
The Lensman

You pretty much covered it. He is a big name.

The perception of the man is greater than the talent he holds. This is what I was getting to.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4395
RE: World Twenty20 - 20/10/2012 12:49:53 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

You pretty much covered it. He is a big name.

The perception of the man is greater than the talent he holds. This is what I was getting to.

You've put it perfectly, nailed it to the wall in fact.

Not many England fans understand this unfortunately, which to be honest, without wanting to sound a snob, just goes to show the lack of a capacity of understanding of the true nature of this game in recent years, especially since the arrival of Twenty20. I've given up arguing with other England fans about it, it drives me nuts and I'll just wait for the next disaster to strike again before making my point.

Remember Gilchrist and Warne? This relationship between KP and the ECB and the fallout and where the majority then sat reminds me of that.

Post #: 4396
RE: World Twenty20 - 20/10/2012 9:10:59 AM   
The Lensman

We will have to see how this series in India goes. India aren't playing that great after a couple of retirements and lack of form AND DEPTH, which is strange from a country boasting the talent it supposedly has. Pressure is on Dhoni to come up with performances and most importantly..... series wins. Home and away.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4397
RE: World Twenty20 - 31/10/2012 2:44:21 PM   
Goodfella

Well it's close of play on the second day of the first tour match in Mumbai as England take on an India A team. Overnight India were 369-9 after the first day and they made no further score for the loss of the final wicket the following morning as Manoj Tiawary top-scored with a knock of 93 and Abhinav Mukund also made 73 and Yurjav Singh made 59, on his return to the Indian test squad following his successful treatment of throat cancer. Tim Bresnan (20-6-59-3) and Graeme Swann (23-6-90-3) were the pick of England's bowlers as Steven Finn injured himself early on in the morning after just four overs and has been ruled out of the remainder of the tour match. England responded to a decent India XI score well on a reasonably lively wicket and have closed on 286-4 in response with debuting test captain Alastair Cook top-scoring with an unbeaten 112 from 251 balls including 13 fours and he is also at the crease currently with the resolute Samit Patel who added to his solitary wicket with an unmoved 82 from 145 balls. Nic Compton, picked ahead of Joe Root to open the batting with Cook as a replacement for Strauss, departed for a third-ball duck finding the outside edge off Dinda through to Saha. Trott also made 56 whilst Pietersen fell caught and bowled to the spinner Yurjav for a quick-fire 23 whilst Bell was out for just 5.

I hope England do stick with Compton for at least one more tour match. It's hardly defining and without wanting to sound like I'm making excuses, I'm sure a mixture of nerves and sheer luck played a part, opening the batting is not his natural role either but with England's insistency that Pietersen be back in the team the order has had to be reshuffled again to suit his needs and after a long and hard summer there will be an adjustment period for all players, especially Compton during his first international set-up. I think he just made one duck all summer, that is certainly not the Compton we know and love.

I see the BBC are still locked in talks with the BCCI over the TMS coverage of the India tour dispite. No surprises here really, we had the same trouble with Sky during the one-day series here this time last year. It's all about the money and until the Beeb cough it up they won't be budged and just like that game they will go with a blackout if need be, they're an unruly, corrupt, politically-motivated group who's system of ownership and dictatorship has been allowed to thrive in this society that exists within sport. Part of me hopes for the fans sake, they pay it, another part of me, hopes from a moral stand-point, that they don't.

Post #: 4398
RE: World Twenty20 - 9/11/2012 1:20:55 AM   
Goodfella

So it's a bit of a breach of the unknown for England as we head into the second day of the final tour match ahead of the test series in India. England are in Harayna and faring incredibly well at 408-3 at the close of play yesterday. Kevin Pietersen, back in the team after being rested for the previous tour match, hit an unbeaten 110 from 94 deliveries including 16 fours and 3 sixes before retiring with a hurt foot. Skipper Cook also made 97 and Trott 46 whilst Bell and Patel remained at the crease on 57 and 11 not out respectively. The focus of us mindly England fans though was not on the Pietersen century that has booked England cricket back in the headlines, but rather Nic Compton's 74, which along with his 64 last week against Mumbai, is likely to see him open with Cook on November 15 in Mumbai. Yesterday was also the first partnership between Cook and Compton which was a first-wicket stand of 166. Obviously I'm very bias when it comes to this (although Root impressed me into the backend of the domestic season but I think he's not quite ready for five-day test cricket yet, his scores of 24 and 28 reflecting this to a degree) but Compton is the finished article England are looking for. He's 29, he's exceled over the past three seasons since his move from Middlesex to us and all that has been lacking from his resume is a start with England which is what he's earnt and deserves. He's composed and considerate at the crease, he can bat for long periods and dominates the strike bowlers in a way the likes of Trescothick and Hayden used to. He's not yet proven at international level of course, even with his decent tour scores of late, but he is the right player to replace Strauss, he's your archtypical England opening batsman really, much like his Grandfather was. A blistering opening stand on shared debut with Cook will create momentum and confidence as well and he brings the right balance to an England top order that is still raising the same old questions in the sub-continent. We'll find out in the next few weeks what Compton is like against that, he never really struggled against spin over here but that's over here and he's in a shaky top order on the back of 10 months of humiliation mixed with deja vu. Root plays spin wonderfully but he's from the modern era of young cricketer and his dip-and-dunk batting style will grow into the first-class game given the right time, attitude and coaching but for this series, I don't think it's quite ready for what we need now.

Compton might just be the one sealed deal to be pleased and excited about. The concern lies within the bowling where both Steven Finn and Stuart Broad are nursing injuries whilst Graeme Swann has returned home to be at the bedside of his sick daughter (best wishes to Swanny and family, hope she gets better soon!). Gooch was direct about both Finn and Broad in his interview two days ago, it's a big question mark over both's fitness and that usually means one definitely won't play in the first test (probably Finn) and Broad will get assessed through the roof before he's given the go-ahead, less than mid-90s and he probably won't play either which means Stuart Meaker has been called up and Monty Panesar is in the frame to replace Swann and Graham Onions may be back in with a chance to get back on the field with England, not to mean it almost certainly assures Tim Bresnan and Samit Patel of a place. Assuming all three are out this would be my preferred team for the first test: Cook (c), Compton, Trott, Pietersen (I suppose....), Bell, Prior (wkt), Patel, Bresnan, Panesar, Onions, Anderson. Now I would have picked Bairstow over one of Onions or Panesar but without England's leading three bowlers of the moment we need the extra option and because of that Bairstow will have to sit this one out, of course I am aware of my earlier criticisms of England's batting strength aboard and am well aware I have three tail-enders in there but, frankly, we're out of options.

Anyway Australia v South Africa is about to get underway so I'm going to get me a bit of that since I'm off work tomorrow. I'm in anticipation of this series too between these two giants of test cricket, one about to begin what looks like a period of sustained dominance at the peak of the mountain and one fighting back with both fists and looking to continue their rebuilding progress ahead of next year's Ashes series. Anyone got their tickets yet? Hopefully I'll get my Old Trafford ones in the next couple of weeks.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4399
India v England - 14/11/2012 3:58:38 PM   
Goodfella

So the first test gets underway in Ahmedabad at 4am tomorrow morning. Anyone else getting up to watch it? I have one of those monstrosties known as a split shift tomorrow but I also have the rest of the weekend off for a wedding so I guess I will have to force myself again. My body clock absolutely loves the winter cricket season, it's tried everything this week, a cold, a sore throat, refusing to make me tired until at least 1am. Nothing will work, it should know this by now really.

Steven Finn has definitely been ruled out but Stuart Broad has been passed fit and most notably debuting captain Alastair Cook, have some key decisions to make as the rest of today progresses in which team they go with, Rahul Dravid, amongst others, has already publicly stated England should pick Monty Panesar and I'm inclined to agree. Panesar is still arguably the best finger-spinner in the world and on a wicket like Ahmedabad where you get lots of drift both in and away from the bat England would be wasteful not to play him. Bresnan will probably replace Finn leaving England with the option of who supports Jimmy Anderson in one of Stuart Meaker or Graham Onions. With Indian wickets tending to keep low and with his fine work back in the summer in the domestic game, I'd go with Onions but we will have to wait and see.

Tommorow is the start of a gruelling four-test series for an England team going into the backend of a disappointing and humbling year. Deja vu will be unavoidable as England step into the sub-continent where they have won just one series since the mid-1980s and memories of being spun out (literally) in both Abu Dhabi and Sri Lanka are still very fresh. This is a new-look, younger and more resurgent India team boosted by the form of swashbuckling, characterisitic and devestating middle order batsman Virat Kohli who is both a future best batsman and captain and undoubtedly the India player to watch this series for me. India cricket fans also like to "get into it" to say the least. This is not like Sri Lanka where there's lots of sun-hats, bikinis and smiling faces with lots of friendly dancing. This can be fierce, ferocious and very hostile. They love their cricket, they love their team, no matter what and they like to be heard. Just facing that alone is a battle and a half and England know this is an uphill task from here on out after the table-toppling defeat to South Africa this summer.

I won't say anything on how I think this is going to go until we get a look at the wicket tomorrow morning and see what kind of team England choose to go with and whether when England get out there to bat they can pick the length and play with the spin.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4400
RE: India v England - 14/11/2012 6:53:13 PM   
boaby

I'd be inclined to play 5 bowlers. If England weren't so shady against spin.

Bresnan's reverse swing and durability would be handy.

Cook, Someone, Trott, The Ego, Bell, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Panesar.

I enjoyed the first and third days of the Aus vs SA test. Ed Cowan impressed me. I didn't think he had that in him. Clarke seems to be in his element. Hussey keeps on keeping on. Pattinson has quite the attitude on him. They're far from Grolsch but the Aussies have found their backbone it seems. That said, the Saffers' bowling wasn't great.

I love me some test cricket.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4401
RE: India v England - 15/11/2012 1:33:52 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

I'd be inclined to play 5 bowlers. If England weren't so shady against spin.

This is the issue. It will be Compton who opens with Cook I'm sure of that and it's tough to leave Patel out given the way he batted and bowled during the tour matches but it looks like we may end up making the sacrafices to get Panesar in there on this type of surface, Pietersen's revival has done us no favours there, it's forced us onto the backfoot a bit with what I imagine our plan would have been prior to him returning to the fold.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of series Anderson has after a relatively quiet year in the wicket-taking department.

quote:

I enjoyed the first and third days of the Aus vs SA test. Ed Cowan impressed me. I didn't think he had that in him. Clarke seems to be in his element. Hussey keeps on keeping on. Pattinson has quite the attitude on him. They're far from Grolsch but the Aussies have found their backbone it seems. That said, the Saffers' bowling wasn't great.

Cowan is a pompus tart who should be well beyond his sell-by date but is getting better, although I'd still be inclined to test Phil Hughes again before the Ashes next summer, especially given the way he played this summer for Worcestershire. Clarke was simply brilliant again with the bat (his second double-century in under a year) and it was a defiant stand from the Aussies after a dominant first day from South Africa, mind you it's Brisbane, it's open to all who can play and leave in the offstump channel. The stronger tests will come further down the road, well the road that lasts two more tests anyway!

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4402
RE: India v England - 15/11/2012 3:44:55 AM   
Goodfella

India have won the toss and they will bat first, unsurprisingly, and perhaps the first battle won already there as this is a wicket that will turn with play making batting second on a potential fourth or fifth day very hard.

The teams:

India: Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Cheteshwar Pujara, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Dhoni (capt & wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav, Pragyan Ojha.

England: Alastair Cook (capt), Nick Compton, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Samit Patel, Matt Prior (wk), Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson.

No Monty then, that's brave to be honest in these conditions as Patel is a an effective slow bowler but not likely to be a prominent wicket-taker, probably included to bolster the batting strength.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4403
RE: India v England - 15/11/2012 4:15:52 AM   
Goodfella

The phrase "as flat as a pancake" comes to mind. Sehwag plays a couple of loose ones and the ball still comes sweetly off the middle portion of the willow and gets him a run or two, the toss is always one to win in India as Geoffrey Boycott righly just said and here more than ever on this very fresh wicket.

Delighted to see Compo out there, far less delighted to see who's stood next to him at gully.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4404
RE: India v England - 15/11/2012 5:21:54 AM   
The Lensman

I'm with ya this morning Fella. *yawn*

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4405
RE: India v England - 16/11/2012 12:33:36 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

I'm with ya this morning Fella. *yawn*

Good to know someone else was up at that ungodly hour!

My broadband connection kept coming and going (BT, sodding useless! A week of no internet "to update connectivity issues" and it's fucking worse than it was prior to then!) so I just sat up and watched, well until I had to get ready for work and by that point my hope had pretty much faltered. I was with Boycott when I learned England hadn't selected a second out-and-out spinner and it certainly came back to haunt them, how can you take a look at that deck and not pick a Panesar, or even put a Tredwell on the plane is beyond me? I appreciate we needed Patel to bolster the batting line-up (although in a roundabout way the whole decision executed to get Pietersen back in the team although I am being quite cynical there!) but that wicket is going to offer little to nothing to seam bowlers, especially when we don't have our only true fast bowler in the sense of the word avaliable, in Steven Finn. Panesar's finger spin has tremendously improved and he showed in Abu Dhabi, albeit not in the field mind you neither did we today with four missed catches, that he gets the revolutions, the pace and drift to cause problems on both the first and the last days of a test, you simply have to take 20 wickets in the sub-continent to win tests and win series. England won't be doing either this winter playing like this. Missing catches is simply not acceptable on the first day of a test after a focused training camp like the one England endured prior to the start of this series, standards have slipped as has a mixture of confidence and luck. Well done to Swann for a battling display of four wickets as he rotated his variety and kept the Indian batsmen guessing, so much relies on him over the next four days.

The most ambitious decision Cook made today was putting in a third man. It was a little too Strauss Mk II for me, I was never entirely with the Strauss was too defensive a captain unit but we do need to change some things up and especially in this part of the world attack a little more, we can afford to be more conservative and attack key areas of the match at home but not here in India.

Sehwag's century was highly enjoyable to watch, he looked more like his old self at the crease, a couple of early outside edges before moving into an unflustered battery of perfect technique and superb placement, he moved the England field round well to his advantage and built the platform for what is now a favoured India win.

Post #: 4406
RE: India v England - 16/11/2012 1:06:57 PM   
boaby

Well that was predicable.

England and their orthodoxy... always entertaining.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4407
RE: India v England - 17/11/2012 11:10:57 AM   
Skiba

This tickled me from the Guardian's OBO:

"l cannot not believe this. I mean really, really, that may be the single most idiotic, pathetic, embarrassing, humiliating, disgraceful, desultory, excruciatingly awful dismissal I have seen from an English batsman in five years of writing over-by-over cricket coverage. Really, that's not a joke, or an exaggeration. It is a good thing Ian Bell is about to fly home to be there for the birth of his child, because if he wasn't - barring a hundred in the second innings - I would really suggest that he should have been dropped from the team on the strength of that shot alone. Mercy me. To recap: Ian Bell walked out to the middle, in the most jaunty, cocksure fashion, marked his guard, took a step down the wicket and chipped a catch straight - and I mean straight - to mid-off. It was, truly, the shot of a moron. He's gone for a golden duck."

Not too keen on Bell's dismissal!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4408
RE: India v England - 17/11/2012 11:24:58 AM   
impqueen

It was stupid.

Hmmm worth staying up for? Sure why not.

England have shown a bit of spirit in the second innings, it's no doubt too little too late but it was pleasant to watch.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 17/11/2012 11:25:23 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 4409
RE: India v England - 17/11/2012 6:32:24 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

This tickled me from the Guardian's OBO:

"l cannot not believe this. I mean really, really, that may be the single most idiotic, pathetic, embarrassing, humiliating, disgraceful, desultory, excruciatingly awful dismissal I have seen from an English batsman in five years of writing over-by-over cricket coverage. Really, that's not a joke, or an exaggeration. It is a good thing Ian Bell is about to fly home to be there for the birth of his child, because if he wasn't - barring a hundred in the second innings - I would really suggest that he should have been dropped from the team on the strength of that shot alone. Mercy me. To recap: Ian Bell walked out to the middle, in the most jaunty, cocksure fashion, marked his guard, took a step down the wicket and chipped a catch straight - and I mean straight - to mid-off. It was, truly, the shot of a moron. He's gone for a golden duck."

Not too keen on Bell's dismissal!

Mercy. Me.

Brilliant

Anyway. Not sure what what the first innings about, I'm happy with my Indian roots tell me that what I witnessed this week but a big part of me is annoyed with some of the most baffling batting I have seen since last winter when england were again bamboozled by even better spinners.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 4410
Page:   <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: World Twenty20 Page: <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI