Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cricket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2012 3:20:16 PM   
Goodfella

How we haven't got 3 wickets in the last 10 balls I will never know! Outside of Anderson with the new ball, this spell from Finn and Swann is the best we've seen from England's bowlers all series. Unlucky simply doesn't cover it and Swann has just been spanked back down the ground for a completely unjustified four.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4291
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2012 3:25:41 PM   
Goodfella

Get out! Finn really deserved that wicket, he's bowled an absolutely beautiful spell and that one nipped and bounced and Rudolph played through it to Prior. There is hope left and I didn't think I'd say this but at the moment it's name is Steven Finn!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4292
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2012 4:13:49 PM   
Goodfella

Really good read of an interview with Tony Greig about Kevin Pietersen. Completely agree with all of it -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19310946

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4293
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 12:38:54 AM   
Goodfella

Well that's almost that then! A year at the top of the world, almost to the date (22 August 2011 was when England officially became the number one ranked test side in the world), and England's 2012 has been exposed at the seams by a fluent, determined and precise South Africa team who, regardless of argument, debate and conjecture about all the issues on and off the field, have been, in the majority, the better team. From the 387-run stand between Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis at the Oval that set an impenetrable task for England's lacking and weak-willed top-order to Dale Steyn's first five-for on these isles the following day to make a half-credible task look barely testing to Alverio Petersen's dogged 182 amidst a muted fightback at a rain-effected Headingley that assured a dramatic Lord's finale amidst rumours of conflict in the dressing room akin to that of 2008 and now at Lord's where South Africa have fought back from seemingly being on the cusp, driven by late knocks by a long tail and then making the new ball count in the final hour of the day to leave England staring 90 overs in the face with no escape route. A draw is effectively a defeat and England will look much inferior and further in the tourists shadow if they play for a draw, dignity was left on Kevin Pietersen's press conference desk and England only really have one choice tomorrow, play their natural game, try for the nigh impossible and in no small way, hope for the best. Much of which hoping will take place in the pavilion from captain Andrew Strauss who is facing the daunting post-series task of not just the above, but disappointing personal scores of 0, 27, 37, 22, 20 and 1 along with an inept and under-firing top order, a conflict that continues to grow like a tumour in the dressing room between his "star player/product" and his traditional cricket test players, questions over his own tactics as a captain and batsman and the further daunting task of a trip to India in the winter, where England have won just one test series in the sub-continent since 1984-85. My premonition may still very well come true, that Strauss will not be captaining this test team come the tour to India.

England were poor today again, they let South Africa get away from them at all the wrong times again. The bowling has lacked the endeavour that had made England such a great test team in the two years prior to the start of this one, Jimmy Anderson has bowled very well once again but without the wickets to back it up and the argument of luck leaves the room at some point, but it's the batting that has made the difference. South Africa have been mighty and majestic from the moment they arrive at the crease, they have pushed and punished England's four-man attack all the way, never giving an inch even when ball beats bat whilst England have made the same routine mistakes they made in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Not picking length, playing across the line, frightened onto the back-foot by all-out pace. The difference between the two top orders doesn't just sting in the stats, it stings in the way they controlled their crease and controlled the flow of each session, England never matched and they looked at a figure of 300 as a big achievement whilst South Africa adopted Graham Gooch's grandaddy hundred theory and gave their awesome bowling attack so many runs to play with that we're quite lucky in some ways that we haven't been beaten 3-0. We've gotten the basics wrong, going back to the drawing board is likely to be a sentiment you hear a lot of if defeat is inflicted after tomorrow, and for all the emptiness of it's meaning, it's what England will very much have to do.

It's not all about Kevin Pietersen either, he's far from helped, but these problems started in the New Year and they haven't really been corrected, I think England languished after returning from Sri Lanka. I think they got a bit relaxed and a bit lazy and even during the West Indies series we saw a stunted, under-pressure, un-hostile set of Calypso cricketers trouble us to a tee they were only really dreaming of before the series. I think, despite all Andy Flower's best efforts I don't doubt, this team has switched off a bit and been exposed by a force greater than perhaps they even expected. From Beefy's ridiculously bold 2-0 series prediction post the 4-0 thrashing of Australia in the ODI series, we've started to believe our own hype a little bit too much and South Africa equally have too, but they've worked hard from the moment they touched down in the country, been inspired by a completely unexpected and heartbreaking retirement and have played the cricket they know they needed to do to win (like we did in the 2010-11 Ashes), we haven't turned up for a full test yet and been let down by the players we so much rely on, Trott tops that list for me at the moment.

As for Pietersen, he's lit the match that saw the England dressing room self-implode. He'd hoped for a similar outcome to 2008 where he got what he wanted, to a degree, I think he was willing for some sacrifice (he would have come back and played some ODIs for a place at the World T20), but England rightly didn't budge this time and were embarrassed and humiliated by his text revelations and his disrespectful choice-making over the past 10 days. He hasn't cost us the series, we've done that ourselves, but he's made the task of bouncing back even harder and bigger as first we need to clear the hurdle of the age-old What to do with Kevin? first. I hope he's happy, he's caused trouble all his careers from his days at Natal to Nottinghamshire to his nationality switch to the 2008 Moores row and now this. We don't need him, sure we could use his ability and talents with the bat but not at this price. I'd rather be back watching Atherton run his middle order out in the mid-1990s than this crap, at least I know that was momentary madness driven by passion and self-belief, than self-consuming driven by greed, arrogance and believing your own hype, which ironically is the same steps England seem to have followed this series.

Those two wickets were bloody awful this evening, can't go without a word about them. I'm sure they've all watched tape of Philander prior to the series, some of them have played against him when he was with us and both David Saker and Graham Gooch have been down at Taunton to watch him. Playing around a full length delivery coming back into you is bad enough but shouldering your arms to one that has been nipping around at a good height is just suicide, you may as well leave the one inside the channel, it shows two things, a complete lack of confidence and a bag of nerves. England cannot get facing the new ball right, not even on such a good wicket as Lord's.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 20/8/2012 1:36:44 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4294
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 11:31:06 AM   
Goodfella

Bell's gone already this morning as England's task continues to grow more difficult with a required run rate of 3.46 even before the start of play. Another fine delivery from Philander moving away from the right-hander and Bell couldn't resist a dab that found the hands of Smith in the slips at the second attempt. 39-3 with Trott and Taylor at the crease. If this is going to go like this, I hope it's over quickly.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4295
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 11:34:20 AM   
superdan

It was always going to be a tall order anyway, record run-chase against such a good side. After losing the two openers cheaply (again) last night it was virtually impossible. England can only play for pride now imo.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4296
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 11:45:09 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

It was always going to be a tall order anyway, record run-chase against such a good side. After losing the two openers cheaply (again) last night it was virtually impossible. England can only play for pride now imo.

Don't really think there's anything close to pride left in this last test any more, with everything that's gone on off the field and now with another unconvincing performance on it I think England will be looking away and just wishing it over. Record run chases used to be what England set, not had set against them. This is Philander's best spell of the series so far right now, 3-14 and lots of late movement off the seam to take it away from the right-hander, he gets it right up there and has got a four-man slip cordon in. If he continues to bowl like this he'll get his name on the Lord's honours board today.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4297
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 12:00:21 PM   
Goodfella

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trott should have gone for the third, it was there to run and he was edging out of his crease all the time during the throwback, but where was the communication? Taylor is a young and inexperienced player, he needs guidance, that was quite selfish from Trott, getting run out on day five, that's embarrassing.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4298
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 12:56:15 PM   
Goodfella

Great stuff from young Bairstow. 42 from 31 and Trott's just brought up his half century, although that run-out still overshadows it for me, Beefy was right in his analysis, five run-outs he's been involved in now for England and it's always the other man departing the wicket, feel for Taylor right now. Bairstow is attacking well and picking the length, he can bat these kind of situations but this going to take a huge, concentrated effort for England to make a game of this in the afternoon session.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4299
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 1:51:34 PM   
Goodfella

That should be it then. Well played Bairstow, a very credible 54, went out there, took the game to the tourists, was very positive and fought for the cause but we're into the middle order now and being a batsman short without Bresnan we're not going to get anywhere close to this. The one positive thing to take from this test, Bairstow has booked his place on the plane to India.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4300
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 2:24:58 PM   
Goodfella

152-6. Stunning catch from Kallis, he really is one of the best slip fielders in the world, Trott went at the delivery from Steyn hard with the bottom of the bat and Kallis had to go full stretch with both hands to take it cleanly. Smith's reaction sums it up nicely.

Disappointed, despondent and gutted sum up how I feel right now but I have to applaud South Africa, they've been wonderful to watch, even as an England fan. Take nothing away from them, they thoroughly deserve this.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 20/8/2012 2:26:20 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4301
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 2:40:40 PM   
Goodfella

Showing some fight again here. Broad hooks a six over long-on followed by Prior reverse sweeping a four down to an empty third man. Let's go out playing some shots and give a decent fifth-day Lord's crowd something to shout about. It's a cliche now, but if we're going out let's at least go out swinging....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4302
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 3:33:30 PM   
Goodfella

Good fight from Broad. A really well-timed bouncer from Kallis and a good catch from Amla out in the deep to make up for his previous mistake at short leg. Slipping away from England now but I've been impressed with the grit and determination from our strong middle order who have challenged and pushed South Africa all the way, it's all but over now. Swann is the last slimmest of hopes and then it's tail that I think will succumb to the pace and pressure.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4303
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 3:45:47 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Fascinating day of cricket. England need to try to get 40 before the next new ball without losing a wicket. That's a huge ask. SA will still win this, but as gf says England middle order dug in well today.

They got the 40 runs. This surely can't be on, the new ball will see to that, but its awful exciting giving us this tantalising hope.

Swann's gone. Some criticism of the run out, but when you are going for it, you go for it and ride your luck. All over now, but England made an entertaining last day out of what could have been a cake walk.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 20/8/2012 4:36:05 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4304
RE: Cricket - 20/8/2012 7:11:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit you got shafted by a really great team. S Africa played brilliantly this series, nullified our attack, scored heavily when needed and took down our much vaunted batting line up with some great bowling. They were just superb - good to see Bairstow score runs against that attack and Finn move into contention again though. Amla was a worthy man of the series, hitting another century to make that target unacheivable. They've got some serious talent in that side, Philander looked like a genuine all rounder at times as well. I think we're kinda coming to an end of an era, Strauss is fading, Pietersen gone - time to blood the next great England team!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4305
RE: Cricket - 21/8/2012 1:57:31 AM   
Goodfella

Congratulations to Cricket South Africa, Gary Kirsten, Allan Donald, Graeme Smith and the entire test team for what has been an incredible and intoxicating series of cricket, they thoroughly deserved the win and their place at the top of the test rankings, no-one can argue with the way they have dug in, performed and executed, they have been the better side by no small margin and in both the final innings of the last two tests, they have had the confidence and conviction to get the job done and wrap things up. They've been led in tantalising fashion by a truly brilliant skipper, one who is still, in my eyes, underrated. Smith has had more than his fair share of criticism as a captain - a choker, reliant on star players to throw the ball too (see Ponting), fall-outs with the board and Mickey Arthur etc. He has stood his ground over the past 18 months though since resigning the one-day captaincy and facing the pressure cooker of consuming and saving his test captaincy. There was a moment today that beautifully summed up the man as he took the catch to dismiss Matt Prior off the bowling of Vernon Philander, he lobbed the ball to AB De Villiers and left his team celebrations to commiserate Prior and shake his hand. The tradition of the sportsmanship within this sport that perhaps no other these days possesses (although it constantly has it's integrity under the spotlight in cricket) and a short but sweet moment that captured the beauty and the battle of this test series that makes this sport and this format what it is. Test cricket is dying some say, my disappointment about the result and outcome aside, I'd say after today it's still very much alive and if you didn't love the competition of that and all that came before it then go back to watching your recordings of Football First!

South Africa have been the better team, no question. It's hard to know where to start as you always feel like you're ranking them and they're all such great contributors to all-round success. Philander really made his mark in this test though, Fluke is right, he is becoming a genuine all-rounder, he's far better than his batting average of 19 suggests, he has a first-class batting average of 25 with 2 hundreds and 7 fifties. His bowling is his profession though and his aggression and seam movement is devastating, he's your arch-typical seriously fast South African seam bowler, he gets the ball to move in and out to the batsman late with the right pitch and has improved as the series has gone on getting his lines right with some work from Donald and he holds a very good economy rate, he doesn't give many runs away and with a new-ball attack of three to choose from Smith will never be short of options and when your fifth-choice bowler is Jacques Kallis you are going to have the armoury to attack the best top orders anywhere in the world, that's what makes South Africa such a strong unit, they have a man for every season and they nullify attacks by having a bowler and a field setting for every batsman, hence England's struggles to get anywhere close to scores of 400 in favourable conditions that they have dominated for the past three years.

Their top order reeks of runs, Smith has led from the front with his unorthodox but genuine style of batting, Petersen's 182 at Headingley was gritty and set the tone of his pace as an international player, Amla is their best batsman, totally captivating in this form, a run-machine who never gives an inch whilst Kallis is a batsman you get early or get used to looking at because he'll be there for as long as he chooses, and there's still alll-rounders De Villiers, Duminy and Philander to come and then a big-hitting tail that wags more often than not. Tahir was their only questionable asset and even his legspin was made to look tricky before the new ball as again England struggled to pick length and get their stance right facing a left-hander coming round the wicket with a short leg and two men out on the hook. Problems they should have got working on and corrected after the ill-fated tour to the UAE.

Which is where it all started for England, too comfortable at number one or perhaps never really completely worthy of the place until they faced the acid test that was their number one competitors. I don't agree that England weren't worthy of their place at the top last summer but 2012 has been a year to forget so far with six out of eleven tests resulting in defeat . A crisis in confidence perhaps or a team that has reached it's peak and is now declining? It's hard to believe that though with the resurrected but still relatively early careers of Cook and Bell, the best wicketkeeper batsman in the world and a bowling attack that averages the age of 27 and is still really in it's infancy as a unit. There were positives to take from today, Bairstow has played very well in this test amassing scores of 95 and 54 and showing his ability and control at the crease in difficult circumstances, Prior has shown once again why he's England's best player and Swann is continuing to improve as an all-rounder. Young Taylor showed flashes of what he can be but like I said after his selection he has struggled since his step up from the second division to the first division of the domestic game and perhaps he needs more time with Nottinghamshire (a county with a history of producing some of England's best and with a wicket that really tests them at Trent Bridge) and the EPP before he squeezed into the shaky and under-fire top order, especially for a tour to the sub-continent. There are other options too, Kieswetter is continuing to score very well and is a fantastic fielder, Compton is having a great season and Morgan is still around and working on his game every opportunity he gets. Patel is also going to be under consideration for India with England looking at taking two or three spinners in their squad.

As for Pietersen, likely to become the central focus after the cricket writers run out of adjectives to describe England's two and two (series defeat and new rankings position). Personally, I'm at the end of the road with him. He's done, I don't see how he can come back from this. He's plagued cricket his entire career with this kind of crap, from his early days at Natal where no doubt he was right about selection quotas and policies but his way and manner of dealing with it led to his virtual exile and then he jumped ship to England where he used Nottinghamshire to his advantage before selling the county short and making a swift exit to Hampshire who were never really sure where he was and this will now be his second major fall-out with England, after the Moores bust-up in 2008. This is slightly different though and honesty, trust and respect is what our successful dressing room and therefore our successful on-field team has been built on, I think we all know deep down Pietersen has never truly been completely a part of that. I am sure there are conflicting issues to be taken into consideration and pursued deeper but I still see no way back for the man, and at 32 it's not really even like we can look further down the road and see where we are and I don't think he'd bother anyway, it's now how England go about dealing with that and breaking the news if they do indeed go down that avenue. I suggest now the drama is far from over and by the time India board the plane to Sri Lanka in September we will have seen Pietersen's name in the back of the papers more than once for once again more the wrong reasons.

quote:

I think we're kinda coming to an end of an era, Strauss is fading

I did say during the winter Strauss wouldn't be captain for the tour to India and I still think that's very possible. No rumours yet but I would expect them in the coming few days, he gave a post-test interview which seemed to suggest the dressing room is still his and he believes the passion and belief is there for him to lead them back to number one but, no disrespect, that means very little said today. A lot can happen in a short time in this game and he would be the third England captain to resign his role, if he did, after a series defeat to South Africa (following Atherton and Vaughan) and honestly right now, who would bet against it? We will just have to wait and see.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 4306
RE: Cricket - 21/8/2012 2:13:00 AM   
Goodfella

PLAYER RATINGS:

Strauss - 2
Really struggled again with the bat. Got in in the first innings before beaten through the middle by Morkel and then inexplicably offered the top of his bails to Philander in the second as the pressure became all too much. Looked a little lost for words captaining in the field as well.

Cook - 1
Never looked comfortable at the crease against the South African pace bowling and was left a long way from his impressive 115 at the Oval.

Trott - 6
First innings failure slightly redeemed by a battling 63 to give England a shadow of hope in the second but overshadowed his own efforts with a lazy, frustrating and avoidable run-out of young Taylor at the other end.

Bell - 5
Decent 58 in the first innings but out in poor fashion twice and a lot expected replacing Pietersen at four. Couldn't hold things up for the younger players following.

Taylor - 2
Showed very, very short of glimpses of what he can do but perhaps still too inexperienced to be here, can't be blamed at all for what happened in the second innings. Fielded very well again though.

Bairstow - 8
So disappointing to not see him get his ton in the first innings after some fine work but perhaps even better in a sense in the second as he came out with wickets falling around him and England desperate for runs and attacked the fast bowlers in almost one-day style for 54 from 42. Showed he's comfortable enough to continue in the test arena for now.

PRIOR - 9
Gave absolutely everything to keep England in this one with both gloves and bat. Is without a shadow of the doubt our best test player.

Broad - 5
Worked hard with both bat and ball but was a yard short with his pace, perhaps suffering from a slight niggle, still a tough job to criticise his effort though.

Swann - 6
Bowled and batted well under pressure, always with the toughest job and second innings return was one of the best yet from him this year.

Anderson - 6
Excellent swing bowling but without the wicket return again. Hopefully he has a better winter with that.

Finn - 7
Got better and better with his bowling as the test went on and offered England a chance of victory with great nip and bounce to strike with four decisive second-innings wickets on day four, much like he did on day one.

SOUTH AFRICA: Smith 6, Petersen 5, Amla 8, Kalliis 6, De Villiers 7, Rudolph 5, Duminy 7, PHILANDER 9, Morkel 7, Steyn 8, Tahir 6

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4307
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2012 6:11:17 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Bob Willis made some interesting comments on Sky, he said that the rise to no.1 was forged on the back of wins against inferior bowling attacks that allowed our batsmen to prosper (i.e. a declining Australia and India) - when the same batting line up came up against sterner tests against Pakistan in turning conditions and the South Africans they were badly exposed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4308
RE: Cricket - 24/8/2012 12:42:26 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Bob Willis made some interesting comments on Sky, he said that the rise to no.1 was forged on the back of wins against inferior bowling attacks that allowed our batsmen to prosper (i.e. a declining Australia and India) - when the same batting line up came up against sterner tests against Pakistan in turning conditions and the South Africans they were badly exposed.

I think it's very easy after recent performances and the outcome of the series' in the sub-continent and the loss of the number one ranking to South Africa, sandwiched with an implosion within the dressing room, to understate and undervalue everything achieved by this England cricket team over the previous three years, especially if you're Bob Willis, a cynical, miserable old goat who has very little positive to say and much like the likes of Brian Close, everything was better, harder and more exciting in his day. Yes, England were undone, exposed and humiliated in the UAE but that's no surprise, we've won just one series against a sub-continent team in their conditions since 1984-85. We'd never played in Dubai or Abu Dhabi before (apart from Steven Finn who I think played for an MCC tour team there), now I'm not making excuses but England made basic mistakes like not picking length and playing the predictable sweep that they simply would have not, anywhere in the world and especially in Australia, got away with getting to number one in the world and going unbeaten across eight series' over the previous three years. We went to South Africa and drew a series 1-1 in 2009 that we should have won on wickets that are some of the trickiest in the world so I have the confidence we can get back to where we were and dominate there, we were also excellent against Sri Lanka in the final test there this year when our backs were to the wall and it's time for England to develop that mentality and strategy again and stick to it, after watching Andy Flower's interviews when he's been asked a question that isn't about Kevin Pietersen, he's hinted he feels there has been lack of preparation and rhythm that made the England team what it was before, he said that after Pakistan and I think there will be a few teacups thrown by himself and Strauss around the dressing room and some honest words spoken, I don't think they've been completely happy with the focus of the team this year and I don't put any responsibility at Flower's door at all, being the man and the coach he is, I just don't see him letting it slip out of his grasp, I think there's a lot more we don't know about and undoubtedly the Pietersen situation plays a part.

As for Pietersen, I read Shane Warne's column whilst sipping an imported beer because I knew I needed something to calm me down as I fully expected the manure I got. "The ECB have to make certain exceptions and treat certain players differently." Oh fuck off you soppy, dyed-hair, pot-smoking, 20 year-old wannabe, poker-addicted smart-arse! Doesn't Liz have some dishes inside for you to do or something!? Warne was a constant nuisance to his dressing room as well ("they should have just gone down to the pub for a beer and had a punch-up"). Oh excellent advice that is. We all know him and Pietersen are bezzie mates, only Warne and Piers Morgan have been stupid enough to come out and show so much public support for Pietersen. Everyone else is either fuming or borderline, Tony Greig and Mickey Arthur, far more respectable than either of the two forementioned prats, both think England shouldn't touch him again with a ten-foot bargepole, Arthur also complimented the ECB on their "excellent handling of the situation" and they "had no other choice." He also made the point that it was "Pietersen who executed his own downfall in the public eye, not the ECB. They want to conduct things in private, he went to the papers and to Twitter and to Youtube."

Most are saying if Pietersen does have a future at all (he's not in the squads for either the ODI series against South Africa or the World T20 unsurprisingly) then it'll be at least 12 months before things have blown over enough, differences have been settled and people have been able to accept and move on before he'll even be considered for international selection again (and I very much doubt the ECB selectors would make the risque move of that potentially being a return for the visit to Australia for the Ashes next year). He's supposed to be meeting Strauss this weekend to thrash out the personal issues between the two when Strauss returns from his family holiday but that is just the tip of the iceberg, Flower pretty much confirmed on Tuesday there has been some deep-seated problems for quite some time and Pietersen's relationship with English cricket as a whole is very fragile, not just his captain. Pietersen is poised to "grovel" apparently, according to Nasser Hussain, who spoke to him on Tuesday, he wants to apologise and is determined to win people back. I think the time is indeterminable for some of us as to when that could possibly be.

It's the first ODI of the five-match series with South Africa at Cardiff tomorrow and this is the team I'd like to see: Cook (c), Bell, Trott, Morgan, Bopara, Bairstow, Kieswetter (wkt), Bresnan, Swann, Anderson, Finn

Post #: 4309
RE: Cricket - 24/8/2012 12:30:46 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

He does have a point though, our batsmen are the unit that have dropped off badly over the last year against high quality bowling. The bowlers on the other hand have remained consistent throughout and he reserves no criticisms for them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4310
RE: Cricket - 24/8/2012 2:37:15 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

He does have a point though, our batsmen are the unit that have dropped off badly over the last year against high quality bowling. The bowlers on the other hand have remained consistent throughout and he reserves no criticisms for them.

Oh obviously, I've said since the start of the year we still getting basics wrong and have some pretty major technical issues in certain areas, we need to work a lot harder in practices on building partnerships as well. England's top order don't rotate very well, they just seem to almost chance a big partnership, Gooch's grandaddy hundreds are all very well and good but ideally you want knocks of 60 and more from four of your top five batsman to dominate an innings and keep the opposition in the field and frustrate them, which is what South Africa were getting and it played a big part in their success.

The bowlers have worked tirelessly again and sometimes with little return for their efforts and their abilities with the ball, see Jimmy Anderson. Swann has dropped off a bit and is just flighting the ball in more now rather than getting the revolutions he used too but he still ties up an end brilliantly and can topple a tail to win a match anywhere in the world, Panesar's just taken 13 wickets against us in the county championship and I think he'll be hoping for a place on the tour to India in the winter.

Play starts at 3.00pm after a long rain delay. I just made it back from London in time, result!

Post #: 4311
RE: Cricket - 24/8/2012 4:11:38 PM   
Goodfella

Abandoned then with just 5.3 overs manageable, and with the weather really set to bed in over the weekend this leaves me very concerned for T20 finals day tomorrow, also being held in Cardiff! The only advantage we get from this is that Kieswetter gets an extra six or so hours rest before the start of play tomorrow. It's supposed to be a mixture of showers and sunny spells but we will have to wait and see.

I'm not going to say anything on Somerset's chances at all until the games start as after the last four years I'm going to do everything to avoid risking any kind of jinx!!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4312
RE: Cricket - 25/8/2012 12:06:11 PM   
Goodfella

Impressive fightback from Yorkshire here. Was quite surprised to switch on the TV and see glorious sunshine hanging over Cardiff, just a few white clouds in the air, after the weather yesterday and the forecast overnight. Yorkshire really struggled early on and were reduced to 36-3 but David Miller's 46 from 33 (Miler having only played two T20 matches in this country prior to this finals day) and Jonny Bairstow's 35 from 29 has guided them to 114-3 from 15 overs and they'll be looking at between 150 and 160 now which is a reasonable score in T20, much preferred to the earlier prediction of 120. Yorkshire's middle order is full of big-hitters, especially the next man in, Gary Ballance, who uses his timber physique yet impressive fitness to smash the ball high and clear whilst being a surprisingly quick-mover between the wickets, hopefully we will see some of him before the end of the innings. Tim Bresnan is playing for Yorkshire and Matt Prior is also keeping wicket for Sussex following their England duty and we will see Ballance bat as Joe Gatting catches Miller off the bowling of Carl Nash.

A mixture of nerves and excitement out here in the village (two of the pub regulars are Somerset boys as I have work later), I'd probably say it's 60-40 and everyone's trying to avoid discussing "the jinx." We need to put it out of our minds, remember this is a new season, forget what's happened before and go out and play the game and enjoy it the way we do that makes us such a successful one-day side in the group stages of both competitions. We have no Nic Compton but that's no huge loss, he's not a natural one-day batsman, Abdur Rehman has been brilliant since arriving so I'm excited to see what he can do. I still think a Somerset v Sussex final is very possible and a very exciting prospect if you're a neutral. I'm not so I'll be shitting myself....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4313
RE: Cricket - 25/8/2012 12:13:28 PM   
Goodfella

Excellent innings from Bairstow, after two very impressive knocks for England, he is banging on the selector's doors right now. He's on form and in the height of confidence, 56 from 40 balls currently with 1 four and 3 sixes, he rotated the strike well early and is now playing some big shots with two sixes in the last two overs. I suspect he may have been left out of England's team yesterday with an eye on today but he really has to play this series, as pleased as I am to see the talented all-rounder Chris Woakes back in the England set-up, I don't think England can afford to leave Bairstow out at the moment.

172-6 for Yorkshire then from their 20 overs. Run rate of 8.60 required with Barstow hitting 68 from 45 in a fine knock. Great start to finals day in Cardiff, got a feeling this is going to be another memorable one!

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 25/8/2012 12:25:19 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4314
RE: Cricket - 25/8/2012 2:46:07 PM   
Goodfella

I think was a toss to win, and we didn't! 22-2 and Tresco just just dragged one that nipped back in from Mascheraneas onto his offstump for just 12 from 8. Levi went for 1 mistiming a slog through midwicket and finding the man straight on. We need to calm down a bit and tick over against these few overs with the rain still in there. We've got a very strong team out there (no Rehman, my mistake, not eligible for finals day) with Trego coming in further down at six but we need at least 160 I think.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 25/8/2012 2:47:23 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4315
RE: Cricket - 25/8/2012 2:55:45 PM   
Goodfella

We may as well be playing in the beer tent! Come on Somerset, not again, PLEASE!!!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4316
RE: Cricket - 25/8/2012 3:24:28 PM   
Goodfella

Something to smile about! Kieswetter smashes a six all the way out of the Swalec and into the trees behind the ground, that what is it now really, a laughing matter. We're hung, drawn and quartered, this is over already and for the fifth successive one-day finals we're a flop.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry any more.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4317
RE: Cricket - 25/8/2012 3:42:20 PM   
Goodfella

13 balls left and 104-6. Craig needs to consume as much of the strike as possible, he's just been gifted one after being dropped at midwicket after the ball went a long way up but he's played very, very well for his 55 from 53 whilst wickets have collapsed around him. We could get to around 130 if he goes after it in these final two overs which at least gives us a few more runs to play with.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4318
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2012 12:46:54 PM   
Goodfella

I'm not really sure what to say about yesterday that I haven't said for the previous three years. I wasn't anywhere near as filled with emotion as Hampshire came out to bat yesterday evening as I was the previous year when Leicestershire rolled us over in the final because I already knew 125 was nowhere near enough and when Steve Kirby got hit for consecutive fours off his first three balls and then Alfie Thomas, who in my opinion bowls the best slower ball in the world of T20 cricket, hit the bat too hard and we should have brought Max Waller in earlier but at the end of the day when Hampshire needed just over six and over to win it was going to take something magical to enforce any other result. Our batting was a shambles, we should be embarrassed, from Richard Levi's mistimed slog facing his second delivery to Jos Buttler playing all around one we were sliced and diced. Only Craig Kieswetter stood strong with an impressive 63 from 58 balls as he desperately attempted to salvage something from a crumbling top order, that six he hit that found the woods will live in memory despite the day's result.

Well done to Hampshire, I personally think that Yorkshire have played the best T20 cricket overall this season but Hampshire used their finals experience to end their hopes. Listening to Dominic Cork wet himself at victory just made it more infuriating, our season technically ended yesterday and now, for me, it's about getting the younger players like the Overton twins, Jack Leach and Alex Barrow more involved as we prepare for next season.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4319
RE: Cricket - 27/8/2012 1:15:34 PM   
Goodfella

Day off tomorrow. Taunton. Kevin Pietersen. Seats on the midwicket boundary. Oh yes......

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4320
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI