Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cricket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2012 12:20:20 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Kevin Pietersen Axed ...

And not before time.

He has dug his own grave, flung himself in, tried to take two or three others with him and now the soil is dropping in, he could very well have played his last ever game for England (I suspect he's not but one can hope) and if that's the case then so be it. His attitude over the past six weeks or so has stunk to high heaven and he's made off-the-cuff decisions that have come back to bite him, he's tried to play above the law-makers of the English game and expected them to answer his every beck and call and they haven't, it was about time they showed their thoughts and feelings on the matter and exactly where he stands and the best and clear way to do that was to drop him from this crucial test.

The text message saga is red-top folly, I might dislike the man but I'd seriously doubt he'd be absurd enough to do something like that, and if he did it would cost him more than just his place at Lord's this Thursday, it would cost him his central contract and his international career (it may still do, personally I don't believe it's happened but it's not a completely closed matter, re: Hugh Morris interview). That aside though ever since retiring from one-day international cricket he's been a frustration and a nuisance to the dressing room, he clearly has become disenchanted (whatever he says in a PR video) and disaffected from some, if not all, of his team-mates (he said it himself, "there are issues I need to sort out in the dressing room"), not to mention the national selectors and board, he's pretty much said to England he's not sure where they stand any more within his career, so now England are doing the same thing back. He should never have released that video, it was the third shoddy, arrogant and ill-thought attempt to get his name back in the papers again in a good light and put further pressure on the ECB to back down. Whatever he needed to do he should have done privately and then had released through a public press statement and then we all should have got on with preparation for this coming week. But just like the Twitter scandal, he couldn't help himself and I think that's pushed the ECB over the edge. I think they felt, intentionally or not, he made them look fools a bit (and sometimes they are, although not in this case) and they've just decided they're are far more important matters to concentrate on at the moment and Pietersen can go and spend some "much-needed" time away with his family to mull things over (after all he's always going on about that isn't he?). To show how much unbalancing influence he tries to manipulate over the English game recently, we had to delay the announcement of a vital test squad today by six hours so we could sort this prick and his nonsense out. Enough is enough, fuck off back to South Africa like you did in 2008 if you so wish, we've got a test match and a place at the top of the world rankings to go and win.

I'm a little disappointed that neither Compton or Kieswetter were given the call-up or even back to Morgan but I am pleased to see young Bairstow back in the team, it gives him another chance and he scored a good century for Yorkshire the other week not to mention 139 off 168 balls for England Lions against Australia A just last week, he's in good nick and alongside young Taylor he's starting to make up then future of England's middle order.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 4261
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2012 10:10:27 AM   
impqueen

“…he couldn't help himself…”

I think that sums up much of KP, his ego, personality and such he cannot take not being the centre of attention so he gets bored and decides to make a noise and never a pretty one. The guy has so much talent it’s sickening and has been at times nothing short of outstanding for England but he’s never managed to match that talent with the right attitude. I’m surprised yet satisfied by the action of the England Management here it may well cost England the top spot for a short time but overall it could be just the thing to strengthen the team even more.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4262
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2012 1:03:51 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

“…he couldn't help himself…”

I think that sums up much of KP, his ego, personality and such he cannot take not being the centre of attention so he gets bored and decides to make a noise and never a pretty one. The guy has so much talent it’s sickening and has been at times nothing short of outstanding for England but he’s never managed to match that talent with the right attitude. I’m surprised yet satisfied by the action of the England Management here it may well cost England the top spot for a short time but overall it could be just the thing to strengthen the team even more.

Precisely. He's attempted to use the press to manipulate the ECB into making the decisions that best suit him, and not the three teams, but that's backfired now as it's the press, and the social media partly, who have exposed his true character. I did not realise yesterday that in fact there has been no confirmation the texts weren't sent, it was that that delayed the ECB's announcement of the squad for Lord's as they waited to see if Pietersen would confirm them or not, so with that matter very much up in the air he can't even be considered for England again until it is resolved. In fact if it turns out to be true then in my opinion, his central contract is terminated and he's shown the door. That behaviour is disrespectful, a style of cheating and plain unacceptable. It's not wholly different to what he did at the end of 2008 when he tried to muster a coup up against Peter Moores (a fantastic coach, one Pietersen didn't like because he wanted to effect more control over things. These are the type of coaches that the likes of Warne and Pietersen don't like yet three of the most successful of the past two decades in the modern game - John Buchanan, Gary Kirsten and Andy Flower - are exactly of this nature). Apparently the alleged derogatory texts were about Flower and Strauss, that is a game the ECB are not going to play again and that is the statement they have started to make by dropping him yesterday. I think a lot more has gone on behind the scenes as well and it wouldn't surprise me if more comes out over the next few weeks or so.

The best thing the team could go out and do now on Thursday is win that crucial test with a real team performance, like those we probably last saw against India last year. I've never believed Pietersen is our best player, I agree he's multi-talented but he's not technically astute, especially not for test cricket, and is consumed by his own arrogance and ego, making him quite simply, a lesser player. He's not in the same bracket as his current South Africa opposing top-order components, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis and AB De Villiers. The test rankings alone speak for that.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 4263
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2012 1:38:29 PM   
boaby

Is this the KP that got a ton and a few wickets in the last test?

Shame.

C'mon the Saffers' First XI.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4264
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2012 2:29:09 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Is this the KP that got a ton and a few wickets in the last test?

Shame.

C'mon the Saffers' First XI.

No, actually, it's a different one. His personality, attitude and what he's in the mood for doing on a cricket wicket shifts so much it may as well be.

You can't help but feel, as vindictive and cynical as this may sound, that he performed so well in that Headingley test because he knew this was coming. He's had a very poor year prior to that and it's just typical he shows up to overshadow things during all this nonsense.

England will win at Lord's still though, I'm quite confident about that.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4265
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2012 3:06:08 PM   
Goodfella

Piers Morgan can fuck off back to ITV "celebrity" interviews and luncheons with Boris Johnson, how dare that floppy tit question Andy Flower!? He'll be getting a Tweet off me for sure, and I see I'm not the first....

"Friends with Stuart Broad." Broad follows the guy on Twitter, Jos Buttler and Craig Kieswetter follow me on Twitter and I've spoken to Craig a couple of times in the pavilion at Taunton, he's not my "friend." Trescothick came and sat next to me once at a game too, but he's not going to be the best man at my wedding.

Mind you from "a media guru" like Piers, should we really expect any better....

Best stuff I've seen on Twitter and Facebook so far -

@Piers Morgan: "Bailey is a friend of both Broad and Buttler.....over to you Mr Flower"
Facebook poster: "Bailey should be sued. There could be a loss of earnings issue here." (that one was the best! I had to stand up and walk around a bit first because my stomach hurt so much from laughing before I could type a response)
Facebook poster: "Why have Pietersen and Sidebottom been dropped from the England team?" (yes, Sidebottom....)
Facebook poster: "Cricket should be like the EPL, that has the biggest financial revenue in the world because the teams play their best players and give them what they want." (yes, they were being serious....)

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 14/8/2012 3:20:28 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4266
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2012 6:18:30 PM   
Goodfella

Piers Morgan's Twitter tirade against most of the England board, selectors and several of the players (Tim Bresnan is his current target) has continued on into most of the afternoon, whilst Kevin Pietersen remains absolutely silent on his account. Some of it has been quite vitriolic, especially against Bresnan, and he's been happy to re-tweet rude and abusive comments from fellow Tweeters, he's already called one member of the public "a fucking prick" because they disagreed with him, he's also toyed with race just ever so slightly, not enough to draw any real attention but it's very borderline at the minute. I hope if he has tickets for Lord's that he is advised he is not welcome, everyone is entitled to their opinion but the way he waded in last night, made ill-thought and arrogant accusations and suggestions about why this had all come about. What he has done though is re-confirm that obviously some very major problems exist between Pietersen and the England dressing room, what he has also shown is that Pietersen thinks he is above and beyond everyone else and Morgan has also suggested the England team will completely fail without him and has encouraged a tirade of anti-support for the rest of the team, that's not an England cricket fan at all. That's a nasty, vindictive, manipulative politician doing his dirty work again. I really, really, really hope England do it at Lord's now, I would absolutely love it, I didn't want a win to at all be about this, but now a small part of me does. I want us to go out there, play out of our skins, as a team, I want to see several players contribute hard-working innings with both bat and ball (Bresnan and Broad would be excellent candidates at the moment!) and I want to see that team huddle on Monday at the end of play that we saw in Sydney and at the Oval last summer. Minus England's greatest ever player of course.

That in itself would be the only response those of us who support the England cricket team and English cricket on the whole needs. There are others demanding answers from Andy Flower as well, accusing him of shying away and not knowing what to say to the press, in claiming that they show they know nothing about England cricket, and especially about Andy Flower. He is not that type of man, he is not a big talker to put it lightly, he runs a tight camp and he doesn't hang anyone out to dry, he won't even publicly criticise KP, even though I'm sure right now a part of him really wants too. This is the man who stood up to Robert Mugabe and that could have cost him more than just his cricket career. Piers Morgan is small fry, there's a few of us with you Andy even if there's many there are not and the truth will out in the end.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4267
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2012 8:18:27 PM   
Goodfella

Some of the stuff on the facebook pages is just absolutely disgraceful, a lot is ill-informed as well, too many cricket fans for my liking believing everything they read on Twitter and in red-top newspapers. I would have thought cricket, of all sports, would have been a little bit above this but I guess not.

I thought Andrew Strauss was very diplomatic in his interview with Nasser Hussein tonight during the coverage of our game with Hampshire in the CB40. He said he always thought he got on very well with Kevin and feels that Kevin's discontent with the board has now spiralled out of control and dragged the players he in, he agreed there needs to be mutual respect and trust but that cannot work the way things have carried on today, he seemed honestly and genuinely surprised by some of the comments and he has never struck me as a man who easily feigns surprise. Michael Holding's comments afterwards I have to disagree with, he said that you know as a former international cricketer that things, and some very nasty things, have been said about fellow team-mates and it's not uncommon, it may have been something Kevin heard in passing and it has been ballooned. Difference is though back in the likes of Holding's day the team would have it out in the dressing room, there may have even been some fisticuffs but afterwards everyone would have had a beer and moved on and the two central participants would most likely have walked out to field together the next day. The Botham and Roebuck dispute at Taunton was the first case that saw those involved use the media to their advantage (a members and press meeting was called following the fall-out in which Somerset expected only a few local reporters to turn up, whereas in fact over 300 people packed themselves in the County Ground including 52 journalists), nowadays with all the social media and interaction involved and all the money and greed that consumes sport, things are no longer that simple. I should imagine Pietersen has not spoken to anyone in the England dressing room since the end of the Headingley test and I suspect no-one plans on breaking the ice anytime soon, Hugh Morris said "discussions have been taking place all week between our board and Kevin's representatives."

Back to the cricket though, we're doing very well currently in the match. Peter Trego's explosive whilst controlled 61 from 31 balls shot things into life early on with the first 100 coming within just 12 hours but wickets came and runs dried up after that although good contributions from Chris Jones (24 from 29), Jos Buttler (51 from 59) and Alex Barrow (29 from 43) helped us to 228-8 off our 40 overs. It should have been a lot more really but this is one of the most inexperienced and young teams we've fielded all season so far (no Thomas, Kieswetter, Waller, Meschede, Dockrell or Overtons). Speaking of Kieswetter, if Kevin Pietersen wants to talk about hectic schedules, here is a young man so desperate to prove his worth in the international set-up and continue his blossoming cricketing career that he drove up to Manchester for the England Lions v Australia A game at Old Trafford a week ago yesterday, drove back down to Taunton over Saturday night to play for Somerset in the CB40 against Nottinghamshire on Sunday (which he had been offered off) and then drove back up again early yesterday morning to start the second of the England Lions tour matches at Old Trafford today. He's contributed scores of 66 from 107 balls and 43 off 28 during that period as well as kept wicket superbly in all three matches so far. Hampshire are currently pegged back at 35-3, Peter Trego removing Jimmy Adams and Neil McKenzie and overseas signing Abdur Rehman getting rid of experienced Australian Simon Katich. Pakistan spinner Rehman made his debut on Sunday in the CB40 win over Notts, taking 6-19, it never fails to impress me the Somerset set-up and how quickly and comfortably all overseas signings settle in at the club, no matter how long or what format they are here for, I cannot remember a poor one in my time there, even Ajantha Mendis contributed 18 wickets despite a few struggles last summer in his four games.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4268
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2012 8:40:26 PM   
Goodfella

The fightback against Piers has really started now.

Venkat Ananth ‏@venkatananth
I guess Arsenal fans should hold Piers Morgan to his promise of jumping off a bridge if RvP moves to United. About time also.

Official Moin Ashraf ‏@OfficialMoinA23
OMG. Just seen Piers Morgan and Kevin Pietersen coming out of a bar in London holding hands.

Official Moin Ashraf ‏@OfficialMoinA23
Since when did Piers Morgan become Sherlock Holmes anyway? You didn't see Stuart Broad investigating him over phone hacking allegations.

Mario Balotelli ‏@MarioBaloltelli
Q: What's 9 inches long and hangs in front of a c*nt? A: @PiersMorgan's tie.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4269
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2012 9:03:59 PM   
Goodfella

Kevin Pietersen has reportedly apologised to the ECB this evening and will make a public apology tomorrow. Talks about his future are ongoing but apparently he has already been told he will not be recalled for the World T20 in September.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4270
RE: Cricket - 15/8/2012 1:42:29 PM   
Goodfella

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19256388

So the text-messages were sent then and now Pietersen has finally apologised for his actions, both the text messages and his behaviour over recent weeks. Amazingly there's still many who defend him and believe that because he's England's "best player" the ECB cannot drop or punish him, regardless of his actions. It's not even worth debating with people of that mindset, it's just laughable, now Hugh Morris and the England selectors have a very difficult decision on their hands, they've been thankful for the apology but Morris has said "more talking is required before trust between Kevin and the England dressing room can be re-engaged." There is the cynical view that Pietersen's apology has been very much forced as well with this story beginning to break at the start of the weekend and Kevin's probable concern that if he didn't admit to the texts the ECB could have simply gone to CSA and asked for the texts, which I think the tourists would have handed over, after all that stokes the fire in the opposition dressing room, they have to gain from further drama and humiliation from the England squad. Note little has been said of South African cricket over the past five days despite their fine series so far, they are quietly practising in the nets and training whilst England players and staff are hunted out by a media spotlight to answer soap operatic questions and told to forget about their cricket bats and balls.

Is it old school of me to suggest a dressing room vote? After all it's the players and coaches who have to work with Kevin again, even Morris only interacts with him semi-regularly, usually before and and after a tour. It's the players who's trust and respect has been called into question, it's the coaches who may fear a future backstabbing from Kevin and ultimately it should be their decision, so why not put it to a private vote and find out what everyone who matters really thinks. Piers Morgan has backtracked quicker than deep square leg to a Chris Gayle slog and now said he is fully behind the England team and hopes they win the third test at Lord's as "that is the most important thing." Yesterday he was saying the England team is so weak without KP that he'll have fun mocking the likes of Bresnan and co. when they come up short against the tourists. He's still rambling on about the Twitter parody though, and this guy Robert Bailey who is supposedly "friends" with a number of England squad members, which there seems to be no real evidence of, he's also said the ECB should question Broad, Anderson (fuck knows how he's been dragged into it, he doesn't even know this Bailey guy!!), Prior (see Anderson) and Bresnan if they've sent texts about Pietersen. Why exactly? That's like a bully's argument in their headteacher's office in a primary school. He's also demanded answers from Strauss regarding the Twitter parody, that's a pointless avenue, Strauss doesn't have Twitter ("I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did, I'm too boring") and I doubt he knows anything about Bailey or the parody, he doesn't get social media and I think if it was down to him he'd ban the whole thing anyway (I have been saying for a while now central contracted cricketers shouldn't be allowed a personal Twitter account and I feel this whole saga has helped to verify what I am saying)."But I reckon he did it first....." Seriously Piers, grow up! Between being a thieving politician, being under investigation for phone hacking and calling all soldiers "torturers", you've no room to talk at all really!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4271
RE: Cricket - 15/8/2012 3:22:26 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think Pietersen has clearly acted pretty badly with the texts but the ECB shouldn't have forced him out of all limited overs cricket which kinda put him on the defensive in the first place. He's a great player and we should have kept him for the 20/20s, that said it looks like he's burned his bridges now.

The sad thing is South Africa must be loving it, I can't see us getting the win we need to stay no.1 in the world with all of this lot going on - after all we've just lost someone who hit a century in the previous match and is clearly on form.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4272
RE: Cricket - 15/8/2012 3:41:46 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think Pietersen has clearly acted pretty badly with the texts but the ECB shouldn't have forced him out of all limited overs cricket which kinda put him on the defensive in the first place. He's a great player and we should have kept him for the 20/20s, that said it looks like he's burned his bridges now.

The sad thing is South Africa must be loving it, I can't see us getting the win we need to stay no.1 in the world with all of this lot going on - after all we've just lost someone who hit a century in the previous match and is clearly on form.

They did exactly what they had every right to do. The central contracts all stipulate that you cannot cherry pick the international cricket you want to play, ODI and T20 cricket goes hand in hand, plus it actually wasn't just that Pietersen wanted to play tests and T20s, he wanted to pick and choose those matches he played in, he didn't want to play in the T20s against West Indies and South Africa, but did want to play in the World T20. How is that remotely fair on any other players? No-one forced his hand with signing the contract, these central contracts are in fact very lucrative these days (a lot more than they used to be when international players would snap up any opportunity to play cricket!). You go down that road and a stream of players will follow and the whole system will be a mess, guaranteed it will effect England's performances in each of the ODI formats with players picking and choosing the games they want to play in. As for him being put on the defensive, I'm sure there are plenty of decisions made in the England dressing room and above which players and coaches disagree with, but trying to use the press to manipulate your employers and sending derogatory text messages about your team-mates to opposition players is the reaction you'd expect only from people in sport with big egos. The excuse of "Kevin will be Kevin" is constantly used but unfortunately for him it doesn't wash this time, no-one is bigger than the team, and that is the point the ECB are trying to make.

South Africa will be loving it without a doubt, although they are very professional unit, and so still are we. I've been impressed with the interview with Strauss and I have a lot of confidence that this England team, who have won back-to-back Ashes and climbed to the top of the test rankings, can fight back together and produce a winning performance at Lord's. KP has had plenty of off days in the past three years, as well as glorious innings like the one at Headingley, Cook scored a very decent century at the Oval, Anderson and Broad both bowled wonderful spells that could have won a match with more time remaining at Leeds, Prior has just been getting better and better with both bat and gloves and Taylor and Bairstow are exciting young players with big futures bursting with talent. I'd like to get excited about that, instead of sitting there and whining that we may as well just take a sandwich and a coke out to bat with us tomorrow at the crease (that's aimed at some of the comments I've read on Facebook by the way) because we don't have Pietersen, we've shown before he's not the be-all-and-end-all (see 2009 Ashes and recent 4-0 ODI series win over Australia) and hopefully we'll show it again.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 4273
RE: Cricket - 15/8/2012 4:00:12 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

They did exactly what they had every right to do. The central contracts all stipulate that you cannot cherry pick the international cricket you want to play, ODI and T20 cricket goes hand in hand, plus it actually wasn't just that Pietersen wanted to play tests and T20s, he wanted to pick and choose those matches he played in, he didn't want to play in the T20s against West Indies and South Africa, but did want to play in the World T20. How is that remotely fair on any other players?

If that's the case that's fair enough - I didn't know he wanted to pick and choose.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4274
RE: Cricket - 16/8/2012 12:59:39 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

They did exactly what they had every right to do. The central contracts all stipulate that you cannot cherry pick the international cricket you want to play, ODI and T20 cricket goes hand in hand, plus it actually wasn't just that Pietersen wanted to play tests and T20s, he wanted to pick and choose those matches he played in, he didn't want to play in the T20s against West Indies and South Africa, but did want to play in the World T20. How is that remotely fair on any other players?

If that's the case that's fair enough - I didn't know he wanted to pick and choose.

I understand the incentive to possibly consider changing the set-up of central contracts but just how far to you go? The risks are quite catastrophic for the future of both international cricket and domestic cricket, the only real beneficiaries are franchised T20 leagues (the IPL, Big Bash, BPL, Sri Lanka Premier League et al), just look at the mess the Indian and Pakistan national boards are in over their central contracts (Pakistan are only just in the process of sorting out their first set of proper central contracts). Matters would be made a lot bloody easier if, something I have along with Alec Stewart and Michael Vaughan have been calling for since it's creation, the ICC just worked out a window it's international scheduling for the IPL (the tournament that effects the most) but they haven't so these problems will continue for a long time. Mind you, the way franchised tournaments are starting to grow if the ICC don't get a stranglehold on these scheduling conflict problems soon something's going to give and plenty is going to follow down the hole, forget fears over the future of test cricket, international cricket on the whole is very close to hanging in the balance if you ask me.

Central contracts are currently the only way to avoid this. For those who don't know currently ECB central contracts are worth between £300,000 and £500,000 (Broad and Pietersen believed to be England's two highest-earners at the majority amount). But you have to play a certain amount of international matches and, barring injury, suspension or acts of God or nature, make yourself available for selection when required, your central contract is awarded to you based on your involvement within the England set-up (so a player like Pietersen who has excelled in all formats of the game is awarded more money because he is a key player, whereas a younger player with less appearances, take our Craig Kieswetter, has an incremental contract which is worth a less money, but you don't find test players with incremental contracts, so that's not even a road the ECB could consider for Pietersen and he wants the money anyway, whatever he says, offer him an incremental contract and I bet my house he turns it down). Bear in mind in modern-day cricket the money for "star players" is more than just their match fees from their contracts, Pietersen has sponsorship deals with both Adidas and Brylcreem that are probably worth twice his central contract, not to mention his various media and showbiz appearances. A cricketer does not buy Wayne Bridge's Chelsea house for £3.5 million without this kind of money. I know Andrew Flintoff's father-in-law reasonably well and I can tell you he was never without and he played just the one season in the IPL, and we're talking about the money he earned before he went into television appearances, where actually he earns less than he did in his prime as an England cricketer.

Back to tomorrow though, where hopefully the attention will shift back to the actual cricket. I think we're in for five days of finery, this is still a sweetly-poised test. Andrew Strauss' 100th as an England international so if Pietersen can step out of the spotlight for one moment, let's tip our hats to the man who has captained England to the top of the test rankings, saved his career from the dregs not once, but twice, and has led and batted for England with all the dignity, professionalism and commitment a player making his 100th appearance for his country should have. England know what they have to do - win. I thought we scrapped really well at Headingley, produced moments (like the spell from Anderson and Broad on the fifth day and Prior's knock on the fourth) that reminded me of the world-beating England of last year and the one before so the life hasn't been quite sucked out of just yet. I'm still really proud of this England team and Andy Flower especially (even if he is from Zimbabwe via South Africa Piers) and especially after the week they've just had to endure, this is a real test of our stamina, patience and all-round ability, I think everyone will be expecting a lot of chirping but I don't think there will be, South Africa are a very professional and hard-working unit, they'll be a word or too but Graeme Smith is a captain, like Strauss, who keeps it reigned in, he wants to win this test as much as England does and he said they won't be playing the safe game, they declared at Headingley and I expect nothing less, they want to go home 2-0 up, we want to get on the coach 1-1 and still top of the world. Bring it on, personally I think it's going to be top class!

Post #: 4275
RE: Cricket - 16/8/2012 6:58:59 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Damn they fought back really well - thought we had 'em on the ropes there but we would have taken 262-7 so it's definately been England's day. How could we doubt the no.1 team in the world?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4276
RE: Cricket - 16/8/2012 11:14:19 PM   
Goodfella

Well that was a really good first day, it was the perfect response from England really after the circumstances of the past week. I think England are always favourable at Lord's especially if the toss goes our way which it did, it's always a well-balanced wicket and I agree it was a toss to lose today and that was proven when Smith elected to bat in basking sunshine and walked out from the Long Room under murky-looking clouds to the prospect of spending the next hour facing the new-ball swing partnership of James Anderson and Stuart Broad. That is cricket though, you play the conditions especially in a country like our own where seasonal weather is as unpredictable as when the Jimmy inswinger will come in the over. It was nice to see such a rousing reception for Strauss and guest of honour Johan Blake joins Usain Bolt in declaring his interest in keeping up his fitness levels outside of athletics by playing T20 cricket, I say if they have the ability to play the game give them a try, they have the attractive qualities to bring more fans to the game and I'd love to see athletics, especially in the Caribbean, improve it's relationship with cricket, rather than be in constant competition for it's sporting stars. Anyway, back to Strauss, well done to him for reaching 100 tests and what better place to do it than at the home of cricket where he has forged his best career stats also as a batsman on home soil, he captained very well today, he led the team out with authority, patience and persistence. That shot at the end Sky showed of him ushering the team off alongside him as he was given a guard of honour shows he is, even on his poor days as a batsman which are not as uncommon as we'd like of late to be honest, shows what a true team player he is and that in itself is something well worth taking note of at this particular point. Speaking of team players and the desire to play cricket for your country and prove your worth at every opportunity available to you then you have to check this. Graham Onions arrived at Lord's this morning, part of England's 13-man squad for this test as he has been for the previous two, he was informed he would not be selected so instead of taking his seat in the dressing room and watching on he drove three and a half hours up to Nottinghamshire in time for the start of Notts' batting innings in their county championship match with Durham for whom he is their opening seam bowler. He proceeded to bowl 16.3-2-67-9 in the Notts innings, taking all bar one wicket, which was a run-out, which just happened to be his as well! I want to hear what Kevin Pietersen thinks about that, personally I think it's nothing short of incredible. Tim Bresnan did the same for Yorkshire when he was informed he wasn't to be involved but was bowled out for 1.

England bowled, like up at Headingley, in spells brilliantly today and then there was Anderson, who bowled precisely, effectively and deadly all today. The conditions suited but he worked the ball magically with seam and swing, three different deliveries to get his wickets and all genuine edges. Steven Finn didn't bowl especially well if you ask me but no-one can complain at his wicket return, the ball to Amla was by far and wide the best of the lot, he angled it on from wide of the crease and the extra nip and bounce beat the timing of Amla, who occasionally like Trott misses a fuller and straighter one because he simply isn't as quick at the crease as the other batsman, of course when his timing is on count he's better than any other batsman in the ground as he proved with his 300 at the Oval. Finn bowled a lot of legside balls, I know South Africa like the legside but you won't get many playing across the crease like that and we are vulnerable to leg-byes there not too mention just being clipped and pulled away, I felt England let themselves down between lunch and tea at points by offering shorter deliveries on the older ball and allowing the two main partnerships (Rudolph and Duminy, Duminy and Philander) to just rotate the strike and haul themselves back into the game. There was a lot of conjecture about the Kallis dismissal, from what I can see his glove is still on the bat and from the camera angle behind the wicket you can see the ball in-dent into the glove and carry to Prior, and there is also a slight nicking noise on the audio at this precise moment, I cannot see then what else it could possibly be but that is with the advantage of plenty of hindsight, it took an age for the third umpire's (Dharmasena) decision and I can understand South Africa's argument that with the on-field umpire giving it not out, without definitive evidence at the time, they should have stayed with the on-field decision but that is for the list of pros and cons for DRS. No doubt that wicket will join the small collection for blueprint when arguing for and against mandatory DRS at future ICC committee meetings.

It's important England break the building partnership of Philander and Steyn, who both played very well towards the end of the evening (this long tail has proved on countless occasions it really can wag), early on, I'd love to get them out for a few short of 300 and then apply the pressure for the rest of the day with the bat. Clouds and the odd outburst of rain is expected tomorrow but I like England when they bat on a Lord's wicket, they know the pitch, they trust the pace and bounce and players like Cook and Prior especially enjoy the areas they pick, they flourish on this wicket, England can really make home advantage count here. Really good day though, probably until we see how this inexperienced top order fare with the bat and South Africa's late fightback, this is still quite balanced but England can take charge tomorrow if they get things right.

Craig Kieswetter also made an unbeaten 112 for England Lions today against Australia A (something for the selectors to take note of). England U19s have also qualified for the quarter-finals of the U19 World Cup in Australia after beating Nepal by 127 runs making 274-7 from their 50 overs (Foakes 92 from 84, Duckett 55 from 48 and Davies 45 from 68) whilst Nepal were skittled for just 147 (Ali 10-2-37-4, Topley 7-4-10-3). The Overtons have been doing very well, Jamie didn't play against Nepal due to an injury but took two wickets against Australia in the first match, Craig has contributed scores of 34 and 15 and took 1 wicket in the win yesterday and four catches in the slips overall.

Post #: 4277
RE: Cricket - 17/8/2012 12:24:43 PM   
Goodfella

309 all out then. A score both ourselves and South Africa will probably look at and be relatively happy with, good news for the batsmen as well as the sun has come out at Lord's making for good batting conditions. Jimmy Anderson bowled very well again this morning but was unable to get those two other wickets to take him above Fred Trueman in the leading wicket-takers at Lord's list. Broad got Steyn on the drive right into Swann in the slips, Finn bowled an angled wide one that Morkel couldn't resist a low clip at and was caught brilliantly by Prior at full stretch and Swann flighted the final one in to Philander, who produced an impressive knock of 61 with controlled and contained batting, who was stumped by Prior who has continued to assume his role as England's best player.

Strauss has gone out and started well, timing the ball and a few sweetly-hit cover drives. Cook could have gone second ball as he played and missed at Morkel and he's edged one just short of the slips but England are 14-0. The top order know what they need to do, a lead of around 150-200 would be perfect but at the moment it's the case of focusing on batting deep into tomorrow and not losing any cheap wickets.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4278
RE: Cricket - 17/8/2012 1:01:37 PM   
Goodfella

Oh that's poor, right before lunch as well! I feel for a bit for Strauss because he had played well for his 20, barely troubled really whilst Cook at the other end could have gone twice, but with a new ball he played a missed a straight one that kept perfect line and clipped the top of his middle stump. That's quite frustrating after a start from England that did have a stamp of authority about it. Trott and Cook now have to come out and bat deep really.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4279
RE: Cricket - 17/8/2012 2:01:22 PM   
Goodfella

I'm not at all happy with Trott at the moment. His poor year has continued and once again, just like back in 2009 as well, he's been found out by South Africa's bowlers. Got on the back foot to one from Steyn that kept it's line and length but he shouldn't be missing that at all, great review by Smith but it looked very close first off because of where it struck on the pad, it was well worth a shot and now we're in trouble. This partnership will be absolutely vital to the match with the two youngsters in next. Trott needs to go away and work on his game and improve because lately he has struggled and taken his eye off the ball, he's become maybe a little too relaxed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4280
RE: Cricket - 17/8/2012 2:05:04 PM   
Goodfella

Now that is a absolutely terrible shot! Hang your head in shame Cook, if I was you I'd go and take a long cold shower because no-one is going to be talking to you in the dressing room and rightly bloody so, what the fuck are you doing playing at that!? Full, well wide of offstump, just leave it! At 39-2 you cannot be taking risks like that, that was as bad as England not picking length in the UAE.

Titch and Belly at the crease now, what a job those two have to do now.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4281
RE: Cricket - 17/8/2012 2:54:25 PM   
Goodfella

Well this is going to be the crucial session of the test then, England are hanging in there by a thread on 56-4. I'm not impressed with the aggressive criticism of Taylor, he's a good, young player who got out nicking one to the slips that came back in a bit. He's been let down by an experienced top order that should have done a lot better, I'm not making excuses but what exactly do some people expect from a second test appearance? It's the same with Bairstow and the shorter ball now although he's played it very well so far but the runs have completely dried up. England just absolutely have to be patient, they have to start to frustrate the South African bowlers and then start picking off the bad deliveries, which in all fairness there hasn't been many of so far. They should also remember South Africa were in this exact same position yesterday and recovered to make 309, those who want to write us off because "Pietersen isn't there" can go right ahead, there quite right it is partly down to him, the actions of that selfish, arrogant prick have torn this dressing room apart no doubt and there will have been a psychological effect creeping into the minds of the England batsman as they went out to bat today.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4282
RE: Cricket - 17/8/2012 3:30:25 PM   
Goodfella

At the risking of speaking too soon, this partnership of Bell and Bairstow is plodding along okay at the minute. Bairstow has played well, he's defended well and left the ball smartly, the sun is out fully now and I think these two are reading length and pitch a lot better, especially from the spinner Tahir who Bairstow will enjoy batting against as he thrives against the legspinners in the county game.

88-4 with Bell on 16 from 64 and Bairstow on 17 from 35. Still Atherton feels the need to constantly bring up Pietersen, especially when the scorecard is shown and he's just confirmed Pietersen will be playing for Surrey in their CB40 match with his former county Hampshire on Sunday at the Rose Bowl.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4283
RE: Cricket - 18/8/2012 1:24:40 AM   
Goodfella

What an excellent innings from Johnny Bairstow! Makes you really proud to be an England cricket fan, it had everything that makes him the undoubted young talent he is. To be honest all the concerns about the shorter stuff are relatively unfounded, sure he struggled against Kemar Roach in the West Indies series but got two fantastic deliveries and outside of that he hasn't been proved vulnerable at all, to be frank it was a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill and he showed that today he doesn't really have too much to worry about, South Africa gave their tactics away a bit with predictable field settings and too much chirping behind the wickets but Bairstow kept in eye-line with the ball, kept his bat straight and read the pitch very well, in the end Morkel was risking too many extras he simply had to be taken out of the attack. He was patient and established the strike well, he knew what was there to be hit and wasn't and he has a luscious front-footed drive, he stands up at the crease well, moves his feet quickly and is always watching the bowler. He's built to perform and I really, really hope he goes on and gets his ton tomorrow, it'll serve England well, himself and further silence critics over the selections. To come in as such a young and inexperienced player and rescue England from the brink of another humiliating defeat in 2012 is what test cricket is made of, and that innings today has probably just rubber-stamped his future, everyone should be damn proud of him after today, he's what English cricket is all about. Huge credit to Belly as well, he got out in disappointing fashion playing outside the line to a loose delivery but played very well for his 58. He frustrated and picked at the South African bowlers, he didn't give them an inch until he got out and he brokered a wonderful partnership with his young adversary, who is not unlike Bell himself in the way he plays on the front foot and the way he can cut and pull the ball well, these two could certainly pull England's middle order together and I'd be intrigued to see what they can do on the low and slow wickets in India later this year. The top order completely collapsed in suicidal fashion and handed these two a momentous task and they responded with defiance and determination, I would have taken 208-5 in response to 309 on a well-balanced Lord's wicket against this pace attack at the start of the day so I still think England are in winning position here, and they so easily might not have been.

As for Matt Prior, I just don't know what to say about him, the man's such a powerhouse. He's the best wicketkeeper batsman in the world, no-one comes within touching distance. He did it again today, he came in, kept his composure, saw himself into double figures and then started to attack. He's been England's best batsman by a long way this year and it makes me laugh when I see fans try and tell me Pietersen is "our best player", he's simply not, Prior is. The performances back it up, the all-round concentration backs it up, the stats back it. He's now third in the rankings list for dismissals by England keepers and he's well and truly in the Gilchrist ilk with the bat. He comes in and you know if he can get to 20-odd he's got a very good chance of going on and getting a big tally, he used to come out early and swing it around too much, he doesn't do that any more and he's perfected his art. I would like to see this partnership hold out as long as possible and Prior get a further decent knock as well, England have still got a lot of work to do but we've fought back well with a strong on-field performance and a strong mentality. The top order need to soak it up from the pavilion and come out and respond themselves in the field and when they most likely bat in a fourth innings.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 18/8/2012 1:29:09 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4284
RE: Cricket - 18/8/2012 1:26:21 PM   
Goodfella

Bairstow, a victim of the nervous nineties! Just 1 run in the 40 minutes prior to him playing on via the top of his pad to a fuller and straighter delivery from Morkel, it was an innings to really applaud though, a wonderful rescuing knock of 95. One that backs up his unquestionable talent and his positive approach as a middle-order batsman, he's an excellent wicket-keeper and fielder too and I'm sure he has a big future, he'll be hugely disappointed to not get his first test century at Lord's but if he continues to play and improve like that then he will get there. South Africa's bowling was very disciplined and they kept a great line and bowled in the right areas this morning, they took full advantage and executed the new ball very well, they were aided by England giving away wickets cheaply in my view. Prior going hard at the new ball was a poor decision, he should have played it with softer hands and not later on the drive and then Broad gets out trying to hook over short leg, Bairstow was running out of partners a bit then and with the pressure on in the nineties he eventually gave way too.

England are going to have to work hard after lunch to get up to 309 and above, they could just as easily be all out in a handful of deliveries but if we can get up to 300 then that will do. This test is perfectly poised with two and three quarters day cricket left.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4285
RE: Cricket - 18/8/2012 2:16:10 PM   
Goodfella

Formidable efforts from all three - Swann, Anderson and Finn, to get England up to 309. Finn has played the shorter delivery excellently and Anderson dug in well for 12 from 17 balls. England know they need to work the new ball when they get out there to win this test and save their place at the top of the rankings.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4286
RE: Cricket - 18/8/2012 2:36:34 PM   
Goodfella

315 all out then. Perfectly poised then with plenty of time left in the test, we're about to really find out what both ourselves and South Africa are made of. The rest of this session is absolutely crucial with the new ball. Oh boy this next couple of hours is going to break me - England with the new ball and Charlton at Birmingham. I need a drink....

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 18/8/2012 2:37:32 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4287
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2012 2:10:35 AM   
Goodfella

Hmmmm, well I have to say I think this one is starting to edge towards South Africa at the moment, or rather towards a draw which is effectively a win for the tourists anyway as it will seal the 1-0 series victory and move them to the top of the test rankings. That is of course if they make a further 200 tomorrow and if they do I feel a lead of 339 is going to be very difficult for England to chase with the overs remaining, especially given how inept and under-confident the top order were in the first innings. Wickets at Lord's usually stay pretty well-balanced into the fifth day but it is going to be an almighty chase against a hugely-destructive pace attack with fifth-day legspin (not something any batsman in the world gets much of a chance, let alone likes, to face) and England will have to rewrite record books to achieve it.

To halt it England need to strike early tomorrow and clean South Africa up (something we haven't really done with any fluency of 2010 and 2011 so far this year), ideally for a lead of around 250, certainly no more. Jimmy Anderson bowled well again but to no avail, Steven Finn still bowled short and legside but got that delivery down the slope to come back into Kallis and tentatively change things late in the day. Smith and Petersen both got out in poor fashion playing across the line and lbw is the South African's weakness, they don't get bowled very often due to shifting onto their offstump and clipping and chipping the ball around early but they are vulnerable to the delivery that moves back in, Anderson absolutely has to get the pitch right tomorrow morning, whilst his swing has been nothing short of devilish so far this test it's too early and it's not going to trouble someone like Amla, he will merely drop anchor and snail his way to another prolific hundred.

No heavy roller as well before England go into bat. That's a wrong decision when you've got the pace on the ball the South Africans can create, the last thing we need is Strauss and Cook nervously fending around offstump at 5pm tommorow to Steyn clocking in at 137kph down the slope. We'll be 40-3 by close of play, man up, take the cracks and play with the swing. We know they're fast so don't make it fucking easy for them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4288
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2012 11:54:02 AM   
Goodfella

Night-watchman Steyn's gone then for 9 and South Africa are 177-4. Lot's of short stuff this morning and Broad got one to rip up on the fast bowler and it flicked up off bat and glove for a simple catch to Taylor at short leg.

A bit too short this morning though, especially to Amla, who is so technically astute, we need to attack the stumps more and get the ball a bit fuller. Swann is working hard for turn and could be the man to go after De Villiers who is an attacking batsman off the front foot.

EDIT: Jimmy drops De Villiers off Swann, that's shocking! Of all the fielders, right to him, a flighted delivery and into Jimmy's hands at mid-wicket and he puts it straight down! Really don't be needing that!

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 19/8/2012 11:55:32 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4289
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2012 2:57:38 PM   
Goodfella

Even with that Amla wicket, I still feel England are really chasing the game here and the lead currently stands at 254 with five wickets remaining and with a tail that can seriously wag and one extra batsman anyway with Steyn coming in as night-watchman yesterday (Tahir is the only one in the order who can't do any serious batting) a lead of around 350 is probable and I don't fancy England chasing that to be honest, not on a fifth-day wicket and not with the way we've been batting this entire series. Our bowling has been wayward today really, too short, too much legside, field settings haven't attacked the strengths of the bowlers, 21% of runs today have gone down to the third man boundary and I haven't seen Strauss put a fielder there since the first half hour of the morning. Amla played beautifully for his fourth century of the series, composed, consistent but elegant in his strokeplay, he's really helped to slowly entice the game away from England and if it works that may very well have been the match-winning innings, England couldn't get close to him until he played and missed a fuller one from Finn and had his offstump cartwheeled but by then he had made 121.

Every ball, every run counts now and time is on South Africa's side, not our's. It's not over yet by any means but we haven't taken wickets in clusters like we usually do and De Villiers just survived a very close lbw appeal from Anderson, which was reviewed and clipping the top of off, and you feel if this partnership can bed in like the last one, even for only 30 or 40 runs, then that just brings the pressure back onto England on the final day.

Kevin Pietersen returned to action for Surrey today at the Ageas Bowl against Hampshire in the CB40. He walked out to the crease with Surrey on 14-1 and he returned to the pavilion just a ball later as he was bowled playing inside the line by Liam Dawson for a golden duck. Boos greeted his arrival, cheers greeted his dismissal. Cheeri-fucking-o.

EDIT: Finn's just got De Villiers! A fuller one with some real nip and bounce taking it away from the South African wicketkeeper and he got a thick outside edge to Strauss in the slips. 264-6.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 19/8/2012 2:59:24 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4290
Page:   <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI