Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cricket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Cricket Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cricket - 5/6/2008 3:21:45 PM   
jonson

Hmm, didn't see any cricket threads around, and to be honest I don't normally care much for the game (I look for results and don't mind watching highlights but I couldn't sit and watch it all day on the TV)
England are currently playing NZ in the first day of the third test. We're 153-5 which apparently is not brilliant.
Anyway, to cut a long story short I'm going tomorrow to Trent Bridge!
I'm sure I'll be stood at the TBI bar all day getting bladdered but if anyone can give me any tips I'd be happy.
And yes, I'm fully aware there is a Hooters over the road, so I might take a wander over there at some point.
Howzat!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 1
RE: Cricket - 5/6/2008 3:47:49 PM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

England are currently playing NZ in the first day of the third test. We're 153-5 which apparently is not brilliant.

But a lot better than it was at one point!

Enjoy your day (which I'm sure will inevitably end up at Hooters - cue lots of "dangerous bouncer" jokes)

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2
RE: Cricket - 5/6/2008 4:06:57 PM   
Goodfella

I did start a cricket thread Jonson but no worries!

I'm hoping to go the ODI in Bristol on 21 June.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 3
RE: Cricket - 5/6/2008 5:19:25 PM   
Skiba

A ton from KP just a few mins ago and his slowest one yet taking 194 to get it.  This being England it won't be the formality that it should be but I still expect the win

I can see us getting punished but the Safffers next month though

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4
RE: Cricket - 6/6/2008 12:44:22 PM   
Goodfella

Just got my tickets for the England v New Zealand ODI at Bristol in a few weeks. They sold out general sale back in March but I've got returned hospitality tickets at the fairly cheapy price of 54 quid (good considering I think they were 88 originally!).

Who's a lucky boy then?

Now weather, don't you fucking dare...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5
RE: Cricket - 6/6/2008 1:38:26 PM   
dh_19

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Just got my tickets for the England v New Zealand ODI at Bristol in a few weeks. They sold out general sale back in March but I've got returned hospitality tickets at the fairly cheapy price of 54 quid (good considering I think they were 88 originally!).

Who's a lucky boy then?

Now weather, don't you fucking dare...

That is a good price! Hope the weather holds out and i hope McCullum doesn't hammer us too hard!

It would be nice to see New Zealand make a fight of the current test. I went to New Zealand for the tour just gone and since the first test when they hammered us, their performances look to be steadily declining. It's only the second day and their heads are already down!

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6
RE: Cricket - 8/6/2008 12:51:10 PM   
ray_likethefish

Great performance by England, the first two Tests they were quite below par, but this Test they've really hit form (bar the middle order as usual...) in time for the South Africa series.

Role on the ODI's!!

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 7
RE: Cricket - 10/6/2008 1:59:25 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Role on the ODI's!!

There's a Twenty20 at OT to come first this Friday.

Why do so many people still see cricket as this hideously "boring sport"? The atmosphere, especially at England matches, has really risen over the last few years and since the Ashes success its gained a lot more followers, both at domestic and international level, just look at some of the attendences for Twenty20 cup games in this country.

(in reply to ray_likethefish)
Post #: 8
RE: Cricket - 10/6/2008 2:19:25 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

At international level it's all good, I've been to the Oval and Lords and the atmosphere is brilliant. However if you've got some standard county match with 10 people watching it can make the whole thing seem really dull to the casual observer.

A good result for England by the way although NZ aren't exactly that good these days. South Africa coming up will be a proper test

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9
RE: Cricket - 13/6/2008 2:05:43 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

At international level it's all good, I've been to the Oval and Lords and the atmosphere is brilliant. However if you've got some standard county match with 10 people watching it can make the whole thing seem really dull to the casual observer.

A good result for England by the way although NZ aren't exactly that good these days. South Africa coming up will be a proper test

Twenty20 has lifted the profile of the sport. Its fast-pace has attracted more young fans to watch the game.

On that note did anyone see Grame Hick in action for Worcs last night? What an innings!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 10
RE: Cricket - 13/6/2008 4:32:18 PM   
ray_likethefish

I really enjoy all three fields of the game. I hope 50 Over ODI's don't get phased out as surplus to requirement as i think the extra length affords for more strategic game plans than Twenty20 which let's be honest is just slog it and hope at times.

I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to the England Limited Over's team. I'm guessing as he's captain, Collingwood will play tonight, i hope he gets a score to boost his confidence.

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 11
RE: Cricket - 13/6/2008 10:40:28 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to the England Limited Over's team. I'm guessing as he's captain, Collingwood will play tonight, i hope he gets a score to boost his confidence.

He wasn't even required. England won by nine wickets with Bell and Pietersen sharing a 79-run haul that eased us to a Twenty20 victory that will be a huge boost of confidence before the start of the ODI series this week.

The limited overs squad always changes a little bit. Tonight's performance throws up a bit of a selection dilemma, Luke Wright batted well as an opener alongside Ian Bell who swiftly proved he should open but Alastair Cook is in the squad and I think before the test against SA, the selectors will want to see him gain some form and confidence but it will be a difficult choice. Anyway the squad for this week is...

Collingwood, Ambrose, Cook, Wright, Bell, Pietersen, Shah, Bopara, Mascheranas, Sidebottom, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson, Broad

(in reply to ray_likethefish)
Post #: 12
RE: Cricket - 16/6/2008 12:27:48 PM   
Goodfella

Kevin Pietersen attacked Twenty20 yesterday in a few national papers describing it as as the "money-spinning death of cricket." I wouldn't neccessarily agree, Twenty20, especially in this country, has attracted many more fans to the game and for future young players it is the evolvement of the sport of quick cricket they first learn at school.

I don't agree with the IPL. At the moment its not much of an issue as whilst they are signing big players they are mainly retired internationals and county players who are unlikely to break into test squads (i.e. Mascheranas) but if, like Vaughan said last year, they can attract the likes of Pietersen and Broad then I don't think it will be a good idea. It could ultimately destroy five forms of cricket in this country (county, Twenty20, FP, Pro40 and international) for one league many miles away that is relying wholly on money.

Be a bit like Ambrovich setting up his own football league.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 13
RE: Cricket - 16/6/2008 2:31:48 PM   
dh_19

quote:

I don't agree with the IPL. At the moment its not much of an issue as whilst they are signing big players they are mainly retired internationals and county players who are unlikely to break into test squads (i.e. Mascheranas) but if, like Vaughan said last year, they can attract the likes of Pietersen and Broad then I don't think it will be a good idea. It could ultimately destroy five forms of cricket in this country (county, Twenty20, FP, Pro40 and international) for one league many miles away that is relying wholly on money.

The IPL is sanctioned by the ICC and is made up of up and coming Indian players and the best international players in the world (i.e. Ponting, Sangakkara, Hussey, Symonds). The ICL is the rebel league that has signed retired players like Lara, Martyn, Atapattu etc.

Our players will be playing in the IPL next year as the ECB have 'accidently' scheduled England's tour of the West Indies around the IPL competition window. It still raises huge doubts surrounding the start of our county season as many players will be absent for the start.

I don't agree with the Stanford matches or the Champions League that have just been announced. I still believe players should aspire to become Test players but this is surely going to change with the money in 20/20. It's an interesting time for cricket.

P.S. Pro 40 should be scrapped anyway!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 14
RE: Cricket - 16/6/2008 3:43:59 PM   
Lazlo Woodbine

Another good win for England in the 1st ODI.  Surprisingly really, we're not usually that good at 50 over games compared to test matches.  Whereas NZ are usually better (hence beating us in the winter 3-1).  They missed Oram to a large extent and unless McCullum really fires their batting doesn't quite look experienced enough.
They still might win the series though, this is England cricket after all.  They are more than capable of snatching defeat from the jaws pf victory!

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 15
RE: Cricket - 17/6/2008 1:43:47 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: dh_19

quote:

The IPL is sanctioned by the ICC and is made up of up and coming Indian players and the best international players in the world (i.e. Ponting, Sangakkara, Hussey, Symonds). The ICL is the rebel league that has signed retired players like Lara, Martyn, Atapattu etc.

Our players will be playing in the IPL next year as the ECB have 'accidently' scheduled England's tour of the West Indies around the IPL competition window. It still raises huge doubts surrounding the start of our county season as many players will be absent for the start.

I don't agree with the Stanford matches or the Champions League that have just been announced. I still believe players should aspire to become Test players but this is surely going to change with the money in 20/20. It's an interesting time for cricket.

P.S. Pro 40 should be scrapped anyway!

I still think the IPL could be a problem - perhaps it will make itself apparent when we return to Australia for the Ashes in three years time.

I love Pro40 - will go and watch some of Somerset again this year I'm sure and its great to see plenty of new forms of the support, as I've said many times before it attracts more fans and that is very good for the sport of cricket which until a few years ago appeared to be dying a death.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 16
RE: Cricket - 17/6/2008 3:23:50 PM   
emogeek

Well, looks like the "switch hit" is now officially legal:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7456149.stm

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 17
RE: Cricket - 19/6/2008 9:14:12 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

And rightly so. At the end of the day very few batsmen will ever be able to learn and master that shot - Pietersen is one of the top five ODI batsmen in the world and I don't think many, maybe with the exceptions of the likes of Ponting and Lara, will ever be able to find that touch. I think you might see a lot try it (bet a few in Twenty20 do) but most will either have their middle stump removed or they'll lob it straight to a fielder.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 18
RE: Cricket - 23/6/2008 10:44:13 AM   
Goodfella

What a day. Can't beleive the weather held out. It rinsed it down Friday night and on Saturday morning it was very blustery rain and then it became overcast so the thought going through my mind was if this doesn't get rained off, surely bad light will stop it.

But when we arrived at Glos CC, the clouds parted and the sun began to shine (I actually have sunburn from the sudden intense heat around 11am!). England bowled brilliantly - Stuart Broad and Chris Tremlett bowled some fine tight overs and we were removing wickets like they weren't there before midday. But when New Zealand hit the 100 mark (and they were lucky too!) they somehow managed to pull themselves out of it and Grant Elliot and Kyle Mills put on a superb stand with the latter hitting some great boundaries considering the fact he's a bowler. Our batting stunk though. Luke Wright edged a silly ball straight to slip off the first over and KP lobbed an almost identical ball the other way just a few balls later. It seemed like everyone was a walking wicket - Shah and Ambrose were fucking awful and Bopara made a valiant effort as everyone seemed to disappear around him but ultimately it was Collingwood, Swann and Broad who helped us to 150 but once the latter went it was game over.

Collingwood may have blamed the batting for the defeat but I think it was a double-edged sword. They should never have posted 180-odd when we had them pinned back at 100 with their tail-enders in but the fact is our opening four batsmen fell like they weren't even there.

Still it was a great game and a fantastic day. The crowd were brilliant during our batting innings - eight straight mexican waves, beer cup snake competitions and two streakers (the first bloke in just his boxers, the second bloke fully commando who took the steward for a ride as well!). I'm hoping I can get some tickets for some more Twenty20 and Pro40 this season (can't do the county games cause of work) and maybe some of the England tickets for the SA one-dayers if there are any left.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 19
RE: Cricket - 23/6/2008 3:52:28 PM   
Lazlo Woodbine

quote:

quote:

And rightly so. At the end of the day very few batsmen will ever be able to learn and master that shot - Pietersen is one of the top five ODI batsmen in the world and I don't think many, maybe with the exceptions of the likes of Ponting and Lara, will ever be able to find that touch. I think you might see a lot try it (bet a few in Twenty20 do) but most will either have their middle stump removed or they'll lob it straight to a fielder.

Have to say the switch hit opens up the problems with the LBW law.  Will leg stump be swapped, so to speak, and therefore some will use it as a negative tactic to spinners by padding up when the ball has pitched outside "leg" stump.  Check Jonathan Agnew's blog on the BBC for a better run down on it than I could. 
Clarification needs to be made about this, the MCC might have jumped too soon.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 20
RE: Cricket - 24/6/2008 1:30:00 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazlo Woodbine

quote:

quote:

Have to say the switch hit opens up the problems with the LBW law.  Will leg stump be swapped, so to speak, and therefore some will use it as a negative tactic to spinners by padding up when the ball has pitched outside "leg" stump.  Check Jonathan Agnew's blog on the BBC for a better run down on it than I could. 
Clarification needs to be made about this, the MCC might have jumped too soon.

Which bowler was it who once threw underarm to a batsmen to prevent him hitting a boundary which would have won them the game?

On a seperate note I'm hoping to go to the South Africa tour game at Taunton on Monday where they face Somerset. Should be a good game.

(in reply to Lazlo Woodbine)
Post #: 21
RE: Cricket - 24/6/2008 11:32:32 PM   
dh_19

quote:

Which bowler was it who once threw underarm to a batsmen to prevent him hitting a boundary which would have won them the game?

It was Trevor Chappell on the instruction of his brother Greg. It was even more pathetic considering it was a New Zealand tail-ender who had to hit a six to win and there hadn't been a single six hit in the match. The Aussies probably would have won anyway!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 22
RE: Cricket - 25/6/2008 9:27:17 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

It was Trevor Chappell on the instruction of his brother Greg. It was even more pathetic considering it was a New Zealand tail-ender who had to hit a six to win and there hadn't been a single six hit in the match. The Aussies probably would have won anyway!

Typical bloody Ozzies ey!

Well I see we cocked it up at The Oval again today. We failed to back up the stumps today (where the fuck was Timmy?) as a tail-ender was allowed to claim two runs off what shouldn't have even been a single. It seems to me the ODI's have reflected a real lazy side in the England team - Pietersen went early today following another silly shot and I really don't have much time for Luke Wright - his batting is far to rushed and his bowling is often mis-matched. I think if Alastair Cook or Andrew Strauss can re-find confidence and form in their county cricket they surely should get a chance against SA. Broad has been unbeleivable and is quickly looking like the next Flintoff and Anderson can be a but hit and miss but generally bowls well - it will be interesting to see what happens once Flintoff gets fully fit again. Wouldn't mind seeing Robert Key get a chance in the ODI side but I don't think it will happen - there have been some calls for the return of Ramprakash or Hick after their Twenty20 forms! Still think we miss Trescothick hugely, he makes boundaries look like their 5 metres away for Somerset...

South Africa should be a stern test and will give us a good idea of how far we have come since the arrival of Peter Moores and also the embarassment of the Ashes last year.

Any thoughts?

Disappointed Collingwood has appeared to blame Swann for the defeat. The wickets should have been backed up so he could go for the stumps and it wouldn't matter if he'd missed. Gillespie should never have been able to make two.

Also Vettori can go fuck himself. Its very easy to stand there and play the Big I Am when he didn't have to make the decision Collie had to make in a split second, at least Collie had the decency to retract it after the game very quickly. Doubt NZ or the Ozzies would have ever have done that.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 25/6/2008 10:10:14 PM >

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 23
RE: Cricket - 26/6/2008 2:06:29 PM   
Goodfella

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7474707.stm

The ICC are just like UEFA in football. Bloody bias and always out to have a pop at England! Frankly if I was Peter Moores I would refuse to play a side for the ODI;s against South Africa.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 24
RE: Cricket - 28/6/2008 9:59:06 PM   
Goodfella

Battled like children again today and just what is going on with KP!? He looked very lazy again today and his celeb status has gone up recently (coffee with Frank Lampard yesterday! Oooohhhh!) he will soon have fans disliking him because this really isn't a sport where porsches with private licenses impress.

Graeme Swann has argued his way into the test squad spinner spot though hasn't he? 2-33 today and we really will need someone who can slow the South African's down because they have some big hitters in their squad. The lad can also bat pretty well too, get him in I say. Sorry Monty.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 25
RE: Cricket - 30/6/2008 8:10:07 PM   
dh_19

I can't imagine Swann is going to create any real problems for the South African batsmen. Monty is still our best spinner unfortunately. Just wish he had Vettori's brain!

I'm more concerned with us selecting average wicketkeepers who can 'bat a bit'. Can they please just select Foster and be done with it!?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 26
RE: Cricket - 1/7/2008 2:29:38 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I can't imagine Swann is going to create any real problems for the South African batsmen. Monty is still our best spinner unfortunately. Just wish he had Vettori's brain!

I'm more concerned with us selecting average wicketkeepers who can 'bat a bit'. Can they please just select Foster and be done with it!?

I think he will. His run rates are quite low and I think he'll give the likes of Neil McKenzie a hard time, certainly if yesterday at Taunton is anything to go by.

Cricket was enjoyable yesterday. Gorgeous day down here so much so I look like a plum right now and my kneecaps are so sore from the suburn cause I wore shorts! South Africa declared pretty early, no surprise, but Somerset started their innings brighly. Suppiah cracked two fours of the first two balls and they hit 30-0 pretty swiftly but then came apart at the seams and Edwards had his stumps taken out the ground by the very impressive Mokel before two stupid run-outs, one before lunch and one straight after, saw them really slump. Fair play, a tally of 249 is not bad against an international side but they were no competition for a very relaxed but clearly in-the-mood SA side.

On a seperate note, got completely pissed. Started with a crate of carlsberg on the train at half eight (yes, in the morning)  and we all ended up in Wetherspoons at midnight last night. Great you can take drink into the county grounds on non-limited overs matches but we did get stopped and warned by the stewards when we strolled in after lunch with three cases of magners.

Just got back, think I will make it an early night tonight! 

quote:

What about Phil Mustard? Look at his runs recently at county level and he's been taking some great catches. He made 92 the other day I beleive, that for me is international class.

Tim Ambrose is a good player but once again has fallen to the wicket-keeper's curse dropping some simple catches and finding an average of about 2 at ODI level with the bat.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 1/7/2008 2:31:45 PM >

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 27
RE: Cricket - 9/7/2008 9:30:58 AM   
Goodfella

David Mawlan and Graham Napier have shown the selectors Twenty20 is the one to watch to look for the new talent for England's limited overs side.

Can't see there being much play at Lord's over the next few days due to the weather which is a right pain as I'm off work and want to go to the pub and watch it. Great to see Simon Jones, as well as obviously Flintoff, in the 30-man test squad. Injuiry set him back after 2005 but he has been ripping up wickets with Worcestshire recently. Mind you I wouldn't break up Broad and Anderson at the moment for anything.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 28
RE: Cricket - 10/7/2008 8:08:01 PM   
dh_19

quote:

Dawid Malan and Graham Napier have shown the selectors Twenty20 is the one to watch to look for the new talent for England's limited overs side.

That's the problem with this bullshit Stanford match though. The untested players that have shown promise in the domestic cups this season will not just waltz into the one day setup and potentially take 500,000 away from a favourite in England's 'closed shop'.

< Message edited by dh_19 -- 10/7/2008 8:09:40 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 29
RE: Cricket - 11/7/2008 1:43:51 PM   
Goodfella

Lunch at the moment at Lords and I've just got back from the pub. Yesterday's play was superb and thankfully un-interrupted. Strauss and Cook looked very settled in before Billy Bowden somehow saw that silly lbw decision and then it looked like typical England when Vaughan had his middle stump removed for just 2. I imagine there will be question marks over his future again after that one.

But KP and Bell held it together in style and the latter, under some pretty immense pressue, batted brilliantly this morning. Collingwood was also harshly dismissed and it may cost him more than just a wicket as it wouldn't surprise me if Flintoff takes his place for the second test. 413-5 at the moment and ideally if we can make it into the early 500s with perhaps only losing one or two more wickets I would like to see us declare as SA will be pretty tired and we stand a good chance of getting some early wickets this afternoon.

Graeme Smith doesn't look happy though. Shame that.

quote:

Dawid Malan

Apoligies about that sp, never heard of the bloke before his century for Middlesex. Thought it had a funny spelling though. Incidentally Twenty20 semis were drawn during the break and its Kent v Essex and Middlesex v TBC depending on the outcome of the Yorkshire scandal. I'm hoping to go to the Rose Bowl for it - should be a cracking day.

quote:

That's the problem with this bullshit Stanford match though. The untested players that have shown promise in the domestic cups this season will not just waltz into the one day setup and potentially take 500,000 away from a favourite in England's 'closed shop'.

This is true but money has always ruled most sports and I think its finally making its way into cricket. Struggling to find someone to tour next year now after Sri Lanka pulled out for the IPL and we really need someone better than Bangladesh considering its the Ashes shortly after.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Cricket Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI