Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 30/5/2008 10:13:44 PM   
jamesbondguy

How about October (the Eisenstein film)? Only because I'm watching it tomorrow.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 91
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 2/6/2008 10:56:10 AM   
Heskin Radiophonic

You may have seen it, but how about The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp?

Heskin Radiophonic - Wait For No Man
new ep free download

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 92
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 2/6/2008 11:47:29 AM   
TRM

Since you have a couple of Kurosawa films, you may have already seen it but my recommendation is Rashomon. Other than that, for the distinct lack of Bogart i recommend In a lonely place and Casablanca. Also for there not being any James Stewart in the list i would recommend Rear Window (also covers there not being any Hitchcock) and Mr. Smith goes to Washington (No Frank Capra films). Im thinking you have possibly watched all of these though, but if theres one which you havent seen, then i recommend you watch that one

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Heskin Radiophonic)
Post #: 93
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 12:22:05 PM   
elab49

Any comments on the choices?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 94
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 5:29:13 PM   
TRM

Its a shame this thread seems to have died the last couple of days. Maybe it is time for someone else to post their list to try and get it going again?

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 95
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 5:55:08 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

I'll post straight from my Top Films I've Watched This Year 2008 thread limiting myself to no more than one director, as I can't be bothered to make a new list:

The Decalogue (1989, Kieslowski)
Sansho the Bailiff (1954, Mizoguchi)
Andrei Rublev (1969, Tarkovsky)
Citizen Kane (1941, Welles)
L' Atalante (1933, Vigo)
Late Spring (1949, Ozu)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, Murnau)
Fanny and Alexander (1983, Bergman)
Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock)
Chinatown (1974, Polanski)

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943, Powell and Pressburger)
Satantango (1994, Tarr)
A Man Escaped (1956, Bresson)
Rocco and His Brothers (1960, Visconti)
His Girl Friday (1940, Hawks)
Army in the Shadows (1969, Melville)
La Regle Du Jeu (1939, Renoir)
Madame de... (1953, Ophuls)
Ordet (1955, Dreyer)
Play Time (1967, Tati)

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 96
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 6:03:55 PM   
TRM

Well this is difficult. I always think of you as having among the best knowlege of foreign films on the forum

Have you seen Pickpocket?

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 97
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 6:06:51 PM   
jamesbondguy

How about Jacques Rivette's Paris Nous Appartient (I just brought it myself), or basing it off your high rating of Tati's Playtime, one of his other films, Jour de Fete, or Louis Malle's unique and imaginative Zazie Dans Le Metro? Failing that, have you see Summer with Monika (Bergman), or I Am Cuba (I'm watching this myself in a few days)?

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 4/6/2008 6:08:45 PM >

Post #: 98
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 6:21:11 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Any comments on the choices?

I've seen Casablanca, The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp, Rear Window, but I'll look into the rest. Thanks.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 99
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 6:34:25 PM   
Rhubarb

Stranger Than Paradise?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 100
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 9:21:24 PM   
Jasiri

Have you seen Humanity and Paper Balloons

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 101
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 10:19:34 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Have you seen Pickpocket?

Yep, its a stunning film, although I'd place about 3 or 4 other Bresson films above it. But then again, I have a higher opinion of him than most on these forums...

quote:

How about Jacques Rivette's Paris Nous Appartient

Well this has been on a 'To see' list for some time now (ie. when I have 4hrs to waste). I don't think it should count if you're already trying to to see it.

quote:

basing it off your high rating of Tati's Playtime, one of his other films, Jour de Fete, or Louis Malle's unique and imaginative Zazie Dans Le Metro

Seeing as its one nomination per person, I'll take the Malle, as I haven't seen any of his films yet (nope, not even Au Revoir Le Enfants). I am Cuba sounds fascinating, although I wouldn't know where to find it.

quote:

Stranger Than Paradise

I'm a big fan of Jarmusch already, so I've seen this. Down By Law has been a mainstay in my top 50/100 for quite some time now.

quote:

Have you seen Humanity and Paper Balloons

Yes. Its great isn't it? The comparisons to Renoir are the highest compliment this film can be paid really.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 102
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 10:23:51 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

I'm a big fan of Jarmusch already, so I've seen this. Down By Law has been a mainstay in my top 50/100 for quite some time now.

Then I tip my hat to you.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 103
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 10:44:20 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

basing it off your high rating of Tati's Playtime, one of his other films, Jour de Fete, or Louis Malle's unique and imaginative Zazie Dans Le Metro

Seeing as its one nomination per person, I'll take the Malle, as I haven't seen any of his films yet (nope, not even Au Revoir Le Enfants). I am Cuba sounds fascinating, although I wouldn't know where to find it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Am-Cuba-Soy/dp/B000EMGBN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1212615635&sr=8-1 
It's only 7.98- bargain!

As for Louis Malle, he's a unfairly overlooked director- he has quite a few great films to his name, and arguably two masterpieces, if not more. I know it's only one nomination per person, but if you get a chance you should pick the up the Louis Malle Vol.1 boxset- it contains Lift to the Scaffold, Les Amants, Zazie Dans Le Metro and Le Feu Follet, all of which are great films.

Post #: 104
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 10:54:29 PM   
Manchurian candidate

See Badlands.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 105
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 11:25:24 PM   
G.O.B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manchurian candidate

See Badlands.

I recommend The Thin Man if you haven't seen it.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 106
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 11:34:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

quote:

See Badlands.

I don't think you'll be allowed that one as council peeps have to watch it just now anyway.

Chinatown - one of the most perfect creations of neo-noir - how about the superb modern noir The Last Seduction?

2 suggestions from the modern cinema of countries your list touches on - The Return from Russia and Consequences of Love from Italy. Both, I think, will stand the test of time.

For some lighter elements, the wonderful Kontroll - inexplicably left off S&S top 10 for new Eastern European cinema even though a large pic from it adorns the front of the article!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 107
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 11:40:48 PM   
G.O.B

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

quote:

See Badlands.

I don't think you'll be allowed that one as council peeps have to watch it just now anyway.

Chinatown - one of the most perfect creations of neo-noir - how about the superb modern noir The Last Seduction?

2 suggestions from the modern cinema of countries your list touches on - The Return from Russia and Consequences of Love from Italy. Both, I think, will stand the test of time.

For some lighter elements, the wonderful Kontroll - inexplicably left off S&S top 10 for new Eastern European cinema even though a large pic from it adorns the front of the article!

oh for god's sake!  right,well,i don't know what to recommend because frankly MWNS,you've probably seen anything else i suggest

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 108
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 4/6/2008 11:57:10 PM   
TRM

TMWNS - What Bresson films would you place above pickpocket? I have only seen two of his films so far (Pickpocket and L'argent) but im not sure which ones to look at next (im guessing you will say a man escaped, but i kind of meant other than that one).

Have you seen La Haine?

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 109
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 5/6/2008 12:45:04 AM   
Rhubarb

I'm Not There, as I know you like Dylan, and don't know if you ever saw it.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 110
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 5/6/2008 1:34:02 AM   
Beetlejuice!

Once again I think I'll recommend Samuel Fuller's Pickup on South Street, have you seen it?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 111
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 5/6/2008 10:23:27 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

Have you seen Humanity and Paper Balloons ?

Yes. Its great isn't it? The comparisons to Renoir are the highest compliment this film can be paid really.

Sure is,I'd say it's as good as anything I've seen from Renoir but I've never really thought of a comparison between them other than the film which it immediately reminded me of is Kurosawa's adapatation of Gorky's The Lower Depths which Renoir also filmed.Akira Kurosawa acknowledged Yamanaka as one of his teachers and I think the influence is very evident comparing these films.All the more remarkable that Yamanaka was only 28 when he made this and a tragic loss that he died so young.Sadao Yamanaka is a good example of the kind of talent Japanese cinema has produced that never gets the acknowledgement it deserves.In the main,western film criticism's view of Japanese cinema is focused on such a limited canon that countless great directors are just ignored.

What about Hiroshi Teshigahara then ? Three films available over here all collaborations with writer Kobo Abe and composer Toru Takemitsu, Pitfall,The Face of Another and Woman in the Dunes.
If you've seen any of them,how about something a bit different from anything in your list,Jia Zhang Ke's Unknown Pleasures.One of my favourite directors working today,critically acclaimed but relatively unknown,not going to appeal to everyone but worth a look.Or maybe I could interest you in the charms of the genius that is Aki Kaurismaki.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

As for Louis Malle, he's a unfairly overlooked director- he has quite a few great films to his name, and arguably two masterpieces, if not more. I know it's only one nomination per person, but if you get a chance you should pick the up the Louis Malle Vol.1 boxset- it contains Lift to the Scaffold, Les Amants, Zazie Dans Le Metro and Le Feu Follet, all of which are great films.

Yeah Louis Malle's worth a look,you can't watch everthing but I'm quite surprised MWNS hasn't seen any of his films yet,Le Feu Follet was the first one I saw and it remains my favourite.

quote:

The Return is good but with Kontroll it's a film that's quite enjoyable and shows potential but overall I found it a bit of a letdown,there's a good film in there somewhere under all the unresolved plotlines.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 5/6/2008 10:26:25 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 112
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 3:13:52 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Haven't heard from TMWNS for a while so let's move on....

Me next!

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Fargo
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. L.A. Confidential
5. The Killing
6. Kill Bill Vol. 1
7. Kill Bill Vol. 2
8. Breathless (a bout de souffle)
9. Chinatown
10. Beetlejuice
11. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
12. Trainspotting
13. La Haine
14. The Usual Suspets
15. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
16. Fight Club
17. American Beauty
18. Requiem for a Dream
19. Brazil
20. 12 Monkeys

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 113
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 3:44:35 PM   
paul_ie86

Have you seen The Fountain?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 114
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 3:58:49 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

Gah, I had written out a long post and the computer timed out on me! Twice!

The jist of it was that Bresson is amazing, Humanity and Paper Balloons definitely contains strong Renoiresque traits and that I'll look out for The Last Seduction and Pitfall. I may type it out later.

I still need two more though (sorry Beetlejuice!).

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 115
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 4:11:30 PM   
TRM

Well for Beetlejuice i will say check out City on fire. You can see where the influence for Reservoir dogs is and i would say it is a superior film. Sorry TMWNS i cant think of anymore for you at the moment. Ill come back later when i have thought about it.

Post #: 116
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 4:15:08 PM   
Chris66

Have you seen any of these films Beetlejuice?
Heat
Cop Land
A Bronx Tale
Taxi Driver
Mean Streets
The Untouchables
Goodfellas
Collateral
Leon
Scarface
Serpico

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

Post #: 117
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 4:27:51 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

Chris Marker's La Jetee. Its a short film entirely made up of pictures about a man who is sent back in time by scientists who are living in a post-nuclear war world, in order to bring back help and supplies, only to become obsessed by a woman and his childhood memories. Sound familiar? Gilliam remade it as 12 Monkeys - both are good films, but La Jetee is really something special.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 118
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 5:21:55 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Have you seen The Fountain?

I have not, there's my first recommendation then. yay. cheers paul

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 119
RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations - 9/6/2008 5:23:30 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Well for Beetlejuice i will say check out City on fire. You can see where the influence for Reservoir dogs is and i would say it is a superior film. Sorry TMWNS i cant think of anymore for you at the moment. Ill come back later when i have thought about it.

cheers TRM, haven't seen this one but will check it out.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI