Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Where Do You Read?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Where Do You Read? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Where Do You Read?

Curled up on a big comfy chair
  2% (1)
Sprawled out on the sofa
  7% (3)
At a desk - I only read non-fiction
  0% (0)
On the toilet
  2% (1)
Tucked up in bed
  35% (14)
I don't have a preference
  10% (4)
All of the above
  30% (12)
Other (please specify in a post)
  10% (4)

Total Votes : 39

(last vote on : 9/2/2009 7:48:56 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 11:35:56 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Like the question says, where is your favourite place to read a good book?

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 28/5/2008 11:36:32 AM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 11:40:30 AM   
Movieman Tom

Up my wifes arse.

Where do you read homer?

I believe my life should be made into a movie; now, who to direct it......

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 11:41:21 AM   
jonson

Generally in bed or on the sofa.
Never on the toilet, I've always thought there's something wrong with people who sit on the shitter reading a novel. Bizarre. 

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 3
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 11:41:35 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

I said in my bed but not just at night-time. I find that my bedroom is the only peaceful place in my house to read so I usually lie there with a cup of tea nearby surrounded by pillows. Bliss. Having said that, the bathroom is also a great place to read. It's surprisingly peaceful.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 4
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 11:46:10 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Bus or train.  For some reason I read best when commuting.  Can't read at home as I fidget too much and end up doing something else.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 5
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 12:26:48 PM   
Fanboyslayer

Pretty much anywhere there aren't too many distractions. I use to love reading on the bus when I was commuting but now it's generally on my lunch break or on the sofa at home. I love to read in bed but I can usually only make it through a few pages before I start to doze off.  When I was at school I use to read as I walked home which could be tricky.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 6
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 12:27:12 PM   
Harley Quinn

Anywhere I can, on the sofa, in bed, in the bath, waiting for the bus.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 7
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 1:13:25 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

on the tube and bus,

but if its a good book then i read it in bed aswell

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 8
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 4:17:15 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Movieman Tom

Up my wifes arse.

Where do you read homer?

This is one of the most peculiar posts I've ever read.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Movieman Tom)
Post #: 9
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 7:40:50 PM   
Krazy_Beyootiful

Quite apart from anything else, I wouldn't have thought there'd be sufficient light up anyones arse to read a book properly. Unless that's where the sun's shining out of.

To answer to the question, I'll read pretty much anywhere, I have the happy ability to shut out external noise when I'm reading, although this has quite often resulted in me missing train stops. Most commonly though,  I read in my bed at night.

< Message edited by Krazy_Beyootiful -- 28/5/2008 7:43:50 PM >

How can we be happy in a world where predictive text can spell Indictment but not Flapjacks?

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 10
RE: Where Do You Read? - 28/5/2008 10:04:52 PM   
joyous

Usually before bed. So on my bed or a sofa. I can't read on a moving vehicle it gives me a headache.

AV by Darthbane

(in reply to Krazy_Beyootiful)
Post #: 11
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 4:42:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Most places really, but usually in bed. However, I've worked my way through many books while sitting in a parked car.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to joyous)
Post #: 12
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 8:36:35 AM   
bobatim

I chose all of the above. I love reading anywhere and everywhere (Sunday Morning I was half way up a mountain reading the latest Stephen King). Mostlly though, I read on the train to and from work as I don't get much more time these days.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 13
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 9:57:13 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I only have a shower now but I use to love reading in the bath.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 14
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 12:56:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

I only have a shower now but I use to love reading in the bath.

I tried that, but having my hands out of the bath makes the bath seem hotter than it is and it was uncomfortable. With my hands in the bath (don't be dirty, now) the temperature stabilises and it's more comfortable.

Damn, I think too much.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 15
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 1:18:17 PM   
the anomaly

I ONLY READ ON TEH INTERNET ONLY NOOBZ READ BOOKZ!

Post #: 16
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 1:22:44 PM   
Newander

I read every night in bed before I go to sleep and always on the beach or by the pool

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 17
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 4:00:43 PM   
Diggler

I read every night in bed as it's the only way I can get to sleep. If I don't have something to read I just lay there thinking and it keeps me awake for hours. I find I get though about 30-40 pages a night before I drop off. It usually means I fall asleep with the light on though. I tried reading to the stage where I'm tired and then turning the light off (whether it's the main light or a bedside lamp) but once I've done that I don't feel tired anymore. It sounds strange I know but I've always had real problems sleeping but reading seems to do the trick for me after an hour or so.

I can't read on public transport as I need complete silence to take in what I'm reading. I find if I try to read on the bus I get distracted thinking about how loud a person's ipod is or how annoying their ringtone is.

< Message edited by Diggler -- 29/5/2008 4:02:21 PM >

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 18
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 6:52:47 PM   
Tech_Noir

Bed, far comfier than any chair or sofa in my house.

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 19
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 7:05:50 PM   
JV

I usually read:

1. In bed
  2. In the bath
  3. On the bus
  4. In my lunch break, which is terribly anti-social but I like it
With the bus it really depends on the book I'm reading as I find I sometimes get easily distracted... But if it's a good 'un that sucks me in totally, the bus could go into a tree and I wouldn't notice.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 20
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 7:21:34 PM   
Mogwai

In bed, nothing better although, and feel free to call me a weakling, it can be somewhat annoying holding a book lying down especially if itís a long novel. Occasionally I will read on a chair but I usually think why am I reading here? And yes, reading on the toilet is crazy and whoever reads one of my books whilst on the throne will be forced to buy me a new book. I don't want your poo germs, thankyouverymuch.

http://damnedconjuror.wordpress.com/ - My Blog

I was cut from her belly
With a stanley knife
My daddy did a jig
With the drunk midwife

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 21
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 7:47:38 PM   
tweetypie2005

Trains are great but only if I can get into the book otherwise it's pointless. Weirdly I can cope with reading in a noisy train but any noise at home just puts me right off. Need tv, lappy etc off but can happily read in bed or in a really comfy chair

In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, I demand you shoot me now!

Three blind mice walk into a pub. However, they are unaware of their surroundings. So to deprive humour from it would be exploitative.

(in reply to Mogwai)
Post #: 22
RE: Where Do You Read? - 29/5/2008 9:53:27 PM   
Castor Troy

Pretty much always on my lunch break at work. If I read at home it's on my bed with Classic FM on the radio.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to tweetypie2005)
Post #: 23
RE: Where Do You Read? - 30/5/2008 3:35:08 PM   
Mrs Wibble

I read pretty much anywhere, including in the shower, bath, the loo, kitchen, walking along (I've only nearly walked into something once over the years), cafes - I would draw a line under when I was driving though!

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you god?

I do........You bastard

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 24
RE: Where Do You Read? - 30/5/2008 10:44:20 PM   
Sway

I read anywhere really, like the majority of people have already said. I read on the train into work in the morning (if I stay awake and don't get cornered by a work colleague who insists on finding me despite the fact I always have my ipod in, and a book infront of me and a very definite unwillingness to talk at such an early hour), on my breaks during work, on the train back, and often in my bed at night.  However if I've just thrown myself into bed with a book, I won't last long - my body and brain are shutting down so I usually give up after a few pages.

What I do love is curling up in an armchair, or since I have no comfy seats in my bedroom, curling up ontop of my bed during the day (if I'm not working).   In one of my old flats in Glasgow I had a huge comfy armchair in my room, and massive windows.  I loved nothing better than to sit curled up in the chair facing the window, reading my book, as the sun streamed in. Especially in the early evenings.

I also love reading outside on sunny days.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Mrs Wibble)
Post #: 25
RE: Where Do You Read? - 4/6/2008 4:52:07 PM   
BookJunkie

I'll read anywhere - the big comfy armchair is my favourite spot.  I read while I'm walking as well.  I never go anywhere without a book, and will read while I'm waiting in queues, or waiting to meet a friend or anything like that.

"You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later."

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26
RE: Where Do You Read? - 4/6/2008 5:23:34 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

and don't get cornered by a work colleague who insists on finding me despite the fact I always have my ipod in, and a book infront of me and a very definite unwillingness to talk at such an early hour),

If I see someone I know on the bus or tube I would go out of my way to avoid/ignore them as commuting time is reading time and not chatting time.  Can't be doing with small talk in the morning.

Reading in the bath is just wrong!  The bath is for cleaning (unfortunately I don't have a shower), in and out, not lounging around in.   Wrinkly fingers?   Ewwwwww

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27
RE: Where Do You Read? - 4/6/2008 8:24:58 PM   
JV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Reading in the bath is just wrong!  The bath is for cleaning (unfortunately I don't have a shower), in and out, not lounging around in.   Wrinkly fingers?   Ewwwwww

Nooooo, you've got it all wrong! Although you can be forgiven since you don't have a shower.

I use the shower for cleaning and the bath for relaxing in. I only read at the start of the bath so not all of me is wet, and then I stop when I get too warm and when I get the urge to submerge my arms and stuff. I've only ever dropped one book in and that was about 8 or 9 years ago (although I did drop my bookmark in a couple of weeks ago).

And if a book were to fall in? They're library books anyway!

So my point is that you don't have to suffer wrinkly fingers when reading in the bath.

Anyway I've thought of another place to read: in queues. Not very often cos it's not like you can really plan it, but if I think I might have to wait longer than about 15 minutes somewhere then I'll take a book.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

Post #: 28
RE: Where Do You Read? - 4/6/2008 8:47:29 PM   
TrailMix

When I read (which is not as often as I would like) it usually tends to be on the sofa or on bed. The only problem is that I usually read at night and I'm usually tired, so I rarely end up being able to read a lot of material because I usually fall asleep lol.

Do people really read on the toilet? I guess maybe reading the paper or something, but books?

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 29
RE: Where Do You Read? - 12/6/2008 6:57:31 PM   
Acho

I'll read anywhere I can. I would never go so far as to say that I miss the long commute I used to have for college/work, but I certainly don't get any reading done on my 10 minute walk to work each morning! I don't have any comfy armchairs in the house, but as a tall person, I prefer to stretch out on a couch or bed anyway.

It appears that there are mixed opinions on the "reading while on the toilet" option. I confess that it's one of my regular choices! Always has been, since I was young. Used to drive my dad mad!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Where Do You Read? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI