Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: It's Jack Black

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: It's Jack Black Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: It's Jack Black - 27/5/2008 6:47:12 PM   
Fuchsia29

Justify casting McAvoy?

:D Sorry, I honestly don't know a proper reason! He was just the first name that popped into my head BEFORE I'd even read this thread - how are so many of us thinking along the same lines? There must be some strange gut feeling going on there. I think it's partially because people saw Mr Tumnus and...Bilbo's somewhat similar personality-wise. Plus he looks like a bloody hobbit anyway. The makeup department will save a fortune.

I 100% loved Ian Holm's Bilbo, but I think we've just got to face facts and stop trying to fit reality to wishful thinking - he's NOT young enough to be a Hobbit-era Bilbo and doesn't look it, either in appearance or physical ability. Makeup and CGI are extremely clever, but 1) It'd be a bit, well...silly 2) It'd be more hassle than just casting someone more accurate and 3) Where's your spirit of adventure? :D Bilbo Baggings is a fascinating character, surely it'd be amusing if nothing else to see what some up and coming talent would do with the role?

If they ever DID cast Holm again, I'd back them overall, but I'm definitely prepared to forgive the slight continuity error of a new actor. It's more of an interesting change than an actual problem.

(in reply to geoffj981)
Post #: 31
How about... - 27/5/2008 6:51:54 PM   
KlausKinski

Gary Busey..?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: How about... - 27/5/2008 6:57:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: KlausKinski

Gary Busey..?

Rather see him as Smaug. They wouldn't even need a dragon. Just sit him on the pile of gold.

Asd for Bilbo - I was imagined a fairly plump 30 year old in the role. McAvoy is just a little too "Hollywood", and I still say his best role has been playing Leto II in Childern of Dune.

Throw me in with the Freeman camp.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to KlausKinski)
Post #: 33
RE: It's Jack Black - 27/5/2008 10:31:39 PM   
roosell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fuchsia29

Justify casting McAvoy?

:D Sorry, I honestly don't know a proper reason! He was just the first name that popped into my head BEFORE I'd even read this thread - how are so many of us thinking along the same lines? There must be some strange gut feeling going on there. I think it's partially because people saw Mr Tumnus and...Bilbo's somewhat similar personality-wise. Plus he looks like a bloody hobbit anyway. The makeup department will save a fortune.

I 100% loved Ian Holm's Bilbo, but I think we've just got to face facts and stop trying to fit reality to wishful thinking - he's NOT young enough to be a Hobbit-era Bilbo and doesn't look it, either in appearance or physical ability. Makeup and CGI are extremely clever, but 1) It'd be a bit, well...silly 2) It'd be more hassle than just casting someone more accurate and 3) Where's your spirit of adventure? :D Bilbo Baggings is a fascinating character, surely it'd be amusing if nothing else to see what some up and coming talent would do with the role?

If they ever DID cast Holm again, I'd back them overall, but I'm definitely prepared to forgive the slight continuity error of a new actor. It's more of an interesting change than an actual problem.

Makeup and CGI are extremely clever these days, but I believe the effect used in that sequence which d0m_l refers to ("...prologue sequence that features a younger Bilbo portrayed by Holm (see http://ducksmudge.org/bilbo/skins/1/bilbo.jpg for screen shot).") used only tape to pull Holm's face back and give him a kind of a facelift. One of the other Hobbit actors mentions it in the commentary. I still think it'll be a bit of a stretch (no pun intended) to have Holm reprise the role for the whole of one or both films. But definitely think he should appear at some point. Freeman could probably handle the bumbling quite well, but not sure about the rest. My opinion is probably slightly influenced by the shambles that was HHGTTG. However, I did find these two
pics which show a good likeness:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40681000/jpg/_40681362_holm.jpg
http://www.spacejunk.org/spacejunk/wp-content/images/bookscomics/martinfreemanbilbo.jpg

Fuchsia29 - this wasn't directed at you, I just responded to the last post mentioning alteration of Holm's appearance. I agree with your "interesting change" comment.

McGregor I'd say is too tall / lanky - the actor needs to be short (eg Wood et al) or stout (Rhys-Davies) then the effects sort out the perspective etc. I doubt anyone would have pegged Sean Astin for Sam, so maybe someone with a similarly low career profile. Fred Savage?

(in reply to Fuchsia29)
Post #: 34
There and back again - 28/5/2008 3:55:45 AM   
deaksey

Some quick thoughts: the two films will cover the time period from when the 5 wizards arrived in Middle Earth (intro bit using Galadriel or Elrond for voice over) to combat Sauron's growing threat to the end of the book appendices bits of ROTK book that covers Aragorn's long life and how he was formerly known as Thorongil in Minas Tirith (that's how Denethor knows who Aragorn is in ROTK film). We'l see more from the White Council (expect Saruman, Galadriel & Celeborn to reprise their roles) as they kick the Necromance out of Mirkwood (a false happy ending to film 1?) only to find out he's Suaron and he's gone home to Mordor in film 2. Oh yes, and Daniel Radcliffe as 'young' Bilbo with Ian Holm doing flashbacks and voiceovers.

Post #: 35
Or...... - 28/5/2008 9:36:31 AM   
Halfling

If I may be so bold as to toss another name into the ring (!) that I sw posted on another site - Toby Jones???

Post #: 36
RE: How about... - 28/5/2008 10:32:58 AM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: KlausKinski

Gary Busey..?

....or Vic Armstrong?

(in reply to KlausKinski)
Post #: 37
RE: There and back again - 28/5/2008 11:40:47 AM   
hit_or_miss_me

quote:

ORIGINAL: deaksey

Oh yes, and Daniel Radcliffe as 'young' Bilbo with Ian Holm doing flashbacks and voiceovers

Are you kidding? The only Harry Potter kid who should ever be in any other film is Rupert Grint. Daniel Radcliffe would single handedly destroy this film.

I second Toby Jones.

Jason Isaacs number one fan/stalker/wife etc.

Damn the man! Save the Empire!

(in reply to deaksey)
Post #: 38
RE: There and back again - 28/5/2008 12:07:44 PM   
wombathog

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Simon Pegg...or Ron Perlman (as Del Toro will have to put him in there somewhere ).

I also think Toby Jones is a good choice.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to hit_or_miss_me)
Post #: 39
RE: There and back again - 28/5/2008 4:10:16 PM   
livila

quote:

ORIGINAL: wombathog

...or Ron Perlman (as Del Toro will have to put him in there somewhere ).

Guillermo did mention Ron Perlman in the chat.

"4:18 pm: What are the chances Ron Perlman will be voicing Smog?
GDT: At this time the voice of Smaug is down to a very few choices in my head and I have a completely specific one, Ron has a good chance but I have other plans for RP…"

He'll be there

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 40
RE: There and back again - 28/5/2008 5:44:59 PM   
boove

i bet he is going to make ron perlman beorn (spl?).  bet ya! 

i dont think he is right for it so i hope im wrong.

he would be good for smaug though.

or one of the trolls!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 41
RE: Ginger Bilbo!! - 29/5/2008 12:46:44 PM   
missphoenix

It's bad enough these guys are inflicting the Hobbit on the world anyway, but to have a ginger (Rupert Grint) Bilbo would probably bring about the end of the world. I really hope James McAvoy doesn't do this film.

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 42
What's wrong with Holm? - 29/5/2008 10:34:03 PM   
Dartfordian

Ian Holm was Bilbo in LOTR, what's wrong with him playing the character again?

The books say Bilbo is middle aged when he goes on his adventure; Holm played him as middle aged when he found the ring.
The ring slowed his ageing so that he didn't look much older on his 111th birthday party. If he turns up in The Hobbit looking in his 20s or 30s it will completely undermine the first films and the established power of the ring.

Post #: 43
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 4:20:37 AM   
tuffluck

In FOTR B

Post #: 44
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 4:20:38 AM   
tuffluck

In FOTR B

Post #: 45
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 4:24:55 AM   
tuffluck

In FOTR Bilbo is 111 years old and he has had the ring in his possession for 60 years and if you do the math that would make him 51 years old when he found the ring. So if you put someone in the roll who was in thier 20's or even 30's then they would be to young to play the part. I think it would be a mistake to put anyone else in his spot. Ian holmes is Bilbo and no one can replace him.

Post #: 46
RE: Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 1:51:28 PM   
Halfling

Hey Tuffluck - remember, in Middle-earth, hobbits don't age like us anyway, and Frodo was also 50 when he left the Shire in FOTR, portrayed by a then 18 yr old Elijah Wood!  Having someone like McAvoy would be in keeping with the logic and the family resmblance so to speak, but you can bet your life that Ian Holm will crop up in F2!

(in reply to tuffluck)
Post #: 47
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 10:41:29 PM   
tuffluck

Why does everyone think Mcavoy should play Bilbo in the up coming movies? He looks nothing like Bilbo and I dont see him pulling it off. Holms mannerisms and character will be a difficult task for any actor and then throw someone who doesnt look the part into it doesnt make sense to me.Yes they may not age like us but the way that the LOTR was portraied they do. If Bilbo was 111 and that was really old for a hobbit and that when Gandalf seen him and said "you havent aged a day" that says to me that he was an older looking fellow at the age of 51. now if Frodo was 50 in the movie he must have had lipo and everything else the modern day world of Middle Earth had to offer. I suspect that thier life expectancy was about the same as human therefore they should age the same, but Bilbo had the ring which had stunned the ageing process. And as far as Frodo goes that was a mistake to put such a young person into the part if they wanted to be exactly like the books but they wernt and none the less it was supperb.

Post #: 48
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 10:41:35 PM   
tuffluck

Why does everyone think Mcavoy should play Bilbo in the up coming movies? He looks nothing like Bilbo and I dont see him pulling it off. Holms mannerisms and character will be a difficult task for any actor and then throw someone who doesnt look the part into it doesnt make sense to me.Yes they may not age like us but the way that the LOTR was portraied they do. If Bilbo was 111 and that was really old for a hobbit and that when Gandalf seen him and said "you havent aged a day" that says to me that he was an older looking fellow at the age of 51. now if Frodo was 50 in the movie he must have had lipo and everything else the modern day world of Middle Earth had to offer. I suspect that thier life expectancy was about the same as human therefore they should age the same, but Bilbo had the ring which had stunned the ageing process. And as far as Frodo goes that was a mistake to put such a young person into the part if they wanted to be exactly like the books but they wernt and none the less it was supperb.

Post #: 49
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 10:41:48 PM   
tuffluck

Post #: 50
Has to be Holmes - 30/5/2008 10:41:50 PM   
tuffluck

Post #: 51
WE FOUND THE HOBBIT!!!!! - 2/6/2008 3:21:07 AM   
Movie Guy

Tobey Jones would be AWESOME!! He has a humorous quirky look (as is needed in a successful Bilbo), is the right age and size, does not have the anxiety of dying during the shoot attached to him, and is a quality actor to boot! Toby Jones is a photo finish next to Ian Holms.

Post #: 52
WE FOUND THE HOBBIT!!!!! - 2/6/2008 3:22:36 AM   
Movie Guy

Tobey Jones would be AWESOME!! He has a humorous quirky look (as is needed in a successful Bilbo), is the right age and size, does not have the anxiety of dying during the shoot attached to him, and is a quality actor to boot! Toby Jones is a photo finish next to Ian Holms.

Post #: 53
WE FOUND THE HOBBIT - 2/6/2008 3:30:37 AM   
Movie Guy

Post #: 54
JAMES MCAVOY IS DEAD!!!!... - 4/6/2008 7:40:45 AM   
Movie Guy

...TO ME AS A CHOICE FOR THE HOBBIT. Anyone who has a brain in their head, and has actually read the Hobbit, knows that James McAvoy would be a terrible choice for the Hobbit and the beautiful continuity of the storyline. James McAvoy does NOT look to be in his 50s at all, and he does not have the trademark stature and quirkiness about him that Ian Holms or Toby Jones have inherent, without Makeup. If I hear another James McAvoy recommendation for the Hobbit, I’m going to puke!! Grow up people!! The people truly advocating James McAvoy are women (for obvious reasons) and young boys who have no clue regarding the history and background of the Hobbit and have probably not read the story. GO TOBY JONES!!

Post #: 55
- 4/6/2008 8:26:11 PM   
jomo999

Er...firstly to all the people who claim James McEvoy is too youngto play Bilbo - Frodo is 50 years old in FOTR and Elijah Wood certainly doesn't look like a 50yr old man, but a 50 year old hobbit would look relatively young, they have a longer life span.
Second, I think McEvoy would be perfect for the role, he is a terrific actor and would really suit the part. If anything, Holmes is too OLD to reprise the role.

Post #: 56
Has to be Holmes - 4/6/2008 10:39:00 PM   
tuffluck

Hey jomo999 in FOTR Bilbo was 111 years old and that was old for a hobbit. How do you think he got to be that old and looking as young as he did? I got an answer for ya, the ring slowed the ageing process. Thier life span is close to humans. Remember in FOTR when Bilbos relitives were banging on the door and Bilbo said that his relitives have not forgave him for living so long. So if 111 years old is not old for a Hobbit why would Bilbo say that? Gollum had the ring for 500 years and his natural life expectancy I am positive was not meant to be that long but again the ring slowed his ageing process. When they showed Bilbo in the beginning when he found the ring it was Holmes and it showed wrinkles on his face because he was a middle aged Hobbit. Frodo was not intended to be 50 in the movie and I strongly believe that. The movie is not the book. I also wanted to add that if Frodo was 50. Then Sam, Pippin, and Mary were about the same age, right? If they were about the same age then what would they be in human years about 25 to 30 years old? Ok lets say this is true. Why would Mary and Pippin be stealing Vegies from the Farmer Maggots crops. I think that sounds like a childish thing to do for a couple Hobbits that are in thier 50's. Thoes Hobbits were intended to be younger for the movie. And James Mcavoy would ruin this movie. I believe whole heartidly that Holmes should play the roll of Bilbo. After all everyone else will return in thier rolls and he didnt age any more than anyone else since then.

< Message edited by tuffluck -- 5/6/2008 5:29:50 AM >

Post #: 57
Can't be Holmes - 20/7/2008 4:36:10 AM   
Spidermobile

With all due respect to Mr. Holmes (and with myself being an old timer and all) Ian Holmes is just a bit long in the tooth to be playing the LEAD ROLE in a PG 13 type movie, CGI wrinkle removal or not. They will give the kids someone they can relate to.

Personally, if it were for me to choose, I think Gary Oldman would be the ideal face to fill the roll as he is a character actor of amazing capabilities, quite a bit along the lines of Mr. Holmes himself. But, he's just a bit older himself.

Possibly, and probably more to the liking of the box office bean counters, would be the superb, highly talented, and totally unappreciated Mr. Alan Cumming - an actor I feel is eventually destined for super-star status, once he and when he achieves the recognition he deserves. (And no, I am not his agent - just a fan!)

If you don't recognize the names of either Gary Oldman or Alan Cumming, then please do a Google search of them. THEN come back and tell me that neither of these two have the credentials or savvy to fill the role established by Ian Holmes.

Post #: 58
Can't be Holmes - 20/7/2008 4:37:00 AM   
Spidermobile

With all due respect to Mr. Holmes (and with myself being an old timer and all) Ian Holmes is just a bit long in the tooth to be playing the LEAD ROLE in a PG 13 type movie, CGI wrinkle removal or not. They will give the kids someone they can relate to.

Personally, if it were for me to choose, I think Gary Oldman would be the ideal face to fill the roll as he is a character actor of amazing capabilities, quite a bit along the lines of Mr. Holmes himself. But, he's just a bit older himself.

Possibly, and probably more to the liking of the box office bean counters, would be the superb, highly talented, and totally unappreciated Mr. Alan Cumming - an actor I feel is eventually destined for super-star status, once he and when he achieves the recognition he deserves. (And no, I am not his agent - just a fan!)

If you don't recognize the names of either Gary Oldman or Alan Cumming, then please do a Google search of them. THEN come back and tell me that neither of these two have the credentials or savvy to fill the role established by Ian Holmes.

Post #: 59
Can't be Holmes - 20/7/2008 4:37:49 AM   
Spidermobile

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: It's Jack Black Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI