Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Indiana Jones & The Huge Opening Weekend

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Indiana Jones & The Huge Opening Weekend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Indiana Jones & The Huge Opening Weekend - 27/5/2008 8:24:08 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Standard Film, Huge Box office - 27/5/2008 8:24:09 AM   
quagmire

Hmmm, four stars Empire, did I watch a different film...seems like Dead Mans Chest, poor film loads of money..maybe I will make a film about Bread..should be a massive hit.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
4 stars? - 27/5/2008 8:54:08 AM   
timrojaz

First time I have gone against Empire, usually you are so bang on.
I even didn't mind the star wars prequels even though they were aimed at kids (except the last one it seemed)

This movie? PSH! I think I will buy the indy trilogy dvd boxset and ignore that this happened. which is a shame because except for 3 scenes i thought it was a half decent attempt. those three scenes? ill say "fridge", "tarzan" and "x files" and i think people will understand

Post #: 3
Indy 4 = Marmite - 27/5/2008 9:11:01 AM   
KlausKinski

The film clearly has it's flaws but I think some of the criticism leveled at the film is a little over the top and exaggerated, some fans having been swallowed up by their own hype machine and spat out inevitably dissapointed. Personally my expectations weren't too high, I was actually pleasantly suprised and in the end thankful for another episode of the B-movie inspired pulp adventure series. Perhaps 3 1/2 stars would be a more accurate grade, the 5 star award system is too constrictive and can potentially mislead the reader, something to consider revising Empire if your reviews are losing credibility.

Post #: 4
- 27/5/2008 9:45:21 AM   
britesparc

Excellent news, it's a terrific film, a proper old-fashioned adventure movie just like the first three. Can't wait to see it again!

Post #: 5
RE: 4 stars? - 27/5/2008 10:20:35 AM   
hit_or_miss_me

quote:

ORIGINAL: timrojaz
This movie? PSH! I think I will buy the indy trilogy dvd boxset and ignore that this happened. which is a shame because except for 3 scenes i thought it was a half decent attempt. those three scenes? ill say "fridge", "tarzan" and "x files" and i think people will understand

I completely agree with those ridiculous 3 scenes. Although rather than a half decent attempt, I would say I absolutely loved the rest of the film. I was a bit worried that it would be a film filmed with "I'm too old for this" jokes but luckily they were limited. My one main irritation was Ray Winstone's character. Completely unecessary.

Jason Isaacs number one fan/stalker/wife etc.

Damn the man! Save the Empire!

(in reply to timrojaz)
Post #: 6
A Very Fun Movie & a Worthy addition to the series - 27/5/2008 10:38:57 AM   
mlavagna

I really enjoyed this film. Sure it could've been better but it's not half as bad as alot of people are making it out to be. Oh well, some people like to review films and some people like to criticise them.

Post #: 7
RE: 4 stars? - 27/5/2008 10:47:57 AM   
timrojaz

quote:

I absolutely loved the rest o
quote:

ORIGINAL: hit_or_miss_me

quote:

ORIGINAL: timrojaz

I completely agree with those ridiculous 3 scenes. Although rather than a half decent attempt, I would say I absolutely loved the rest of the film. I was a bit worried that it would be a film filmed with "I'm too old for this" jokes but luckily they were limited. My one main irritation was Ray Winstone's character. Completely unecessary.

i must admit the rest of the movie i did enjoy - the second time through
the first time i didnt feel it paced right and thought it was a bit long - maybe something to do with the hangover i had.
I went back to see it 2 days later (as i really wanted to love it, and my mate wanted to go), i must admit i did enjoy it more that time. but still had issues with the 3 scenes mentioned.
i prob would go with a 3* rather than 4 for the rest of the movie, but those scenes do REALLY annoy me, which is unusual cos i am usually quite fine with looking over issues with movies and enjoying it all.

Phantom menace - i still liked it where most didn't

maybe its because indy is my favourite trilogy

(in reply to hit_or_miss_me)
Post #: 8
EvilOSG - 27/5/2008 12:08:42 PM   
thunderheart

I thought it was amazing. first time I saw it, it was a strange experience after 19 years seeing indy looking so old. 2nd time though just enjoyed it. seen it 4 times now.

Post #: 9
great news - 27/5/2008 12:18:11 PM   
tango fett

i really enjoyed this movie and it completley deserves this success! please spielberg do "indiana jones and the lost city of atlantis" next! ahhhh geek heaven.

Post #: 10
Very Disappointed! - 27/5/2008 12:27:20 PM   
RKingston1983

I saw this film yesterday and I was deeply saddened that two brilliant directorial minds (apparently) managed to come up with this steaming pile of poo! I mean yeah, it's watchable, but Indiana Jones isn't meant to just be watchable it's meant to be death defying stunts i.e. having your face millimetres away from being smashed in by the tracks of a tank, not standing on two non-moving trucks in front of a green screen and having your jkanckers tickled by a bush - Shia LaBeouf shame on you!!! The plot was pants, Cate Blanchett's accent sucked, and "The Crystal Skull" looked like a lump of plastic certainly not a priceless idol "that belongs in a museum"!!!!! I could go on a lot longer but I won't. However, that's just my opinion!!

Post #: 11
Mutt-en dressed as lamb - 27/5/2008 1:21:06 PM   
Yorkshire Tic

I have to say I left the cinema a little deflated. For the final third of the film I kept thinking, why have you gone down this road. The bearded one should know better.

It's an entertaining ride for the most part but some moments just spoilt the fun. Mutt for example - fencing, swinging and must be wearing a cricket box on his nads to avoid getting jelly legs.

The old films had the adrenaline rush, the dangers of being live action. Green screen just doesn't cut it. So what if a character falls from a moving truck, they're landing on a green foam mat.

Bring back the good ol' days of Raiders. You could almost taste the sand and gravel yourself.

Post #: 12
Indy did well... - 27/5/2008 1:24:08 PM   
jpt1976

...but who wasn't expecting that? It'd be nice to see the UK figures.

Post #: 13
RE: great news - 27/5/2008 2:11:53 PM   
Moribundman

This specific MacGuffin is not likely to happen, purely because according to the "Lost Journal of Indiana Jones" that is out now, they seem to be accepting the LucasArts Adventure Indiana Joens and the Fate of Atlantis as canon (for anyone who's not played it, you MUST). It's currently out of print, but *cough* SCUMM VM *cough*...

There's also a Dark Horse comic adaptation which I believe is currently in one of the omnibus graphic novels available at all good retailers...

Frankly, I have fonder memories of FOA than I do of KOTCS, and I wasn't even all that young when that came out. They should have green lit that when they made the game.

(in reply to tango fett)
Post #: 14
Excellent News. - 27/5/2008 3:01:57 PM   
joanna likes films

Yes! I knew it was going to be a success! It goes to show you that after nineteen years, people have waited and waited until this one day that the new Indy film was relased and everyone will deeply adore it. I know I will when I go and see it next week and let you guys know what it's like!

Post #: 15
- 27/5/2008 3:17:12 PM   
jemba

i think it went a bit too far for me, what with the space ship and all. kinda felt like i was watching stargate at some points but you know thats not a bad thing. it just wasnt indiana jones.

Post #: 16
What a lovely day… - 27/5/2008 4:53:17 PM   
RoboMan24

Great! I haven´t seen the movie so far, but chances are good that I won´t in the next 6 months or so (or ever), because I don´t feel th need to anymore. I should stop going to movie sites, where there´s enough caring members to give away MAJOR SPOILERS. Jemba, I guess you´re young and full of life and want to tell everybody your opinion, I understand that, but you simply ruined my day. But don´t worry. Some Chris Campbell (the site´s name I don´t remember), the other day, already ruined my day once by giving away this (…) and this (…) and that (…) about Indy IV. And the article was just innocently titled something like Indiana Jones and the 450 CGI Shots. I thought it was a general article on their CGI approach for this film. No Spoiler Warning Signs anywhere to be found on the goddamn page! I already started reading the dreaded phrase when it was already too late. I almost recovered from that day and they weren´t major spoilers. But jemba, I´ll call you the Spoiler God of the "ZOMFG I know all about this movie!"-Internet Era, that I will be no longer be participating of. It will save me a lot of time to stay away from movie sites. I think I´m gonna do gardening instead. Yeah, that will give me peace, stop the voices in my head…

Post #: 17
Well... - 27/5/2008 5:18:34 PM   
minute44

I agreed with Empire's 4 star review and gave it the same rating myself <a href="http://minute44.com">Here</a>

It's no great surprise that it took that much money either... Hype alone meant it was going to be a gigantic, fedora wearing cash cow.

Post #: 18
wait till next weekend - 27/5/2008 6:39:48 PM   
Scruffybobby

It was always pretty certain that the movie was going to do massive business in the first weekend. I'd imagine the real test will come next weeked when we see how much of dropoff it suffers. Word of mouth counts for a lot, and a lot of it will be negative if the reviews thread is anything to go by.

(in reply to minute44)
Post #: 19
Phantom Menace times 10 - 27/5/2008 6:59:51 PM   
azrael00000

You mark my words...

http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2008/05/50-flaws-of-indy-iv.html

Post #: 20
Indy flop - 27/5/2008 10:01:03 PM   
rsh1978

There's a surprise is smashed at the box office. A word to George Lucas. STOP WRITING FILMS. YOU RUINED STAR WARS FOR ME AND NOW YOU SEEM INTENT ON DESTROYING INDY. GEORGE FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not even think about making Indy 5 coz I give up. I have no more faith left in either George or Steven.

Post #: 21
WOW! 300 million! - 28/5/2008 10:48:36 AM   
jambobjam

How impressive! It was inevitable that it would gain a large opening weekend profit. But really 300 million dollars, thats what, 50 euros? Lets see how the UK opening weekend does, where real money is involved ;)

Post #: 22
Worth the wait - 28/5/2008 12:01:51 PM   
lamaline1108

It could have been ridiculous, it could have been disappointing but it was just a great entertainment moment! Yeah, the whole space ship is a bit too much but who cares ! Indy's not young anymore and doesn't whip like before but who cares! You are just happy to see him again. The team hasn't forgotten the references for the fans and it feels great!
Only dark spot maybe is Karen Allen. Should have lost a few pounds ...

Post #: 23
This was always going to make money - 28/5/2008 12:32:11 PM   
Hasselhoff24

The movie was going to open big no matter what the quality of the film was and sadly this is a pants Indiana Jones movie! It'll be interesting to see if it has legs after a couple of weeks as judging from the reaction of fellow fans I know we like many others wont be rewatching this one!

Post #: 24
Indy rules! - 28/5/2008 6:10:13 PM   
Johnh1978

Me and my mates aswell as my girlfriend and her mates loved the movie...it was funny and full of comic action! Loved how indy escaped the nuclear bomb. I loved the sci-fi themes paying homage to 50's sci-fi flicks. Why couldn't my college/uni lectures have been as fun as Professor jones! I for one loved the star wars prequels and my 17th month old son laughs at Jar Jar....and I, as a big kid really enjoyed indy IV...so much so, i saw it twice! A must see film of 2008...can't wait for hulk and dark knight...oh and the new x-files.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Indiana Jones & The Huge Opening Weekend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI