Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Marvel To Bring Runaways To The Screen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Marvel To Bring Runaways To The Screen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Marvel To Bring Runaways To The Screen - 22/5/2008 8:17:12 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Awesome to the Max. - 22/5/2008 8:17:12 AM   
doitdoug2001

Just to point out- Brian K. Vaughn is currently working on the 'Lost' staff and he wrote the really, really, really brilliant comic series 'Y:The Last Man' (supposedly to be made into a film- or more likley a trilogy with Shia Le Bof and director DJ Curoso over the next few years) and also to point out that this serious is excellence in a can.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 22/5/2008 8:52:35 AM   
machino

Runaways is by far the best Marvel comic going, full of real life problems and believable dialogue. You'll just love Molly, the youngest of the group.

Post #: 3
Marvel overload? - 22/5/2008 9:39:59 AM   
keatsmeister

If they're not careful, Marvel are going to bloat themselves out of people's interests. How many Marvel movies have we had in the last 2 years, and announced for the next few years? Add in any DC offerings, and the average filmviewer is going to get overfed and bored of superhero films before long, and studios won't be able to justify the kind of budget a decent attempt at one will require. That'll really put the true fans out of joint.

That said, an interesting choice for a film release. Haven't seen a lot of this beyond an abstract plot for the graphic novel, but sounds interesting. Maybe next on the slate will be Neil Gaiman's Eternals...

Post #: 4
Now this is both good and bad - 22/5/2008 9:52:51 AM   
Director

i've read runaways it's good i really liked it but i mean i can count the amount of gangster films on my hands i can't wth superheroes.

if we do we'll be here a while and i mean the big budget ones i think they should quit while there ahead. do cap'n a and the avanegers 1 then leave it there going crazy there doing like 6 films just so they can do one film

lets not get too crazy i mean do have

5 supermans 6 batmen 3 spidermans 3 blades 2 fantastic 4 2 hulks an ironman 3 x-men 2 hellboys daredevil electra the punisher ect.

we're seeing captain america thor ant man more spiderman and probs another batman

i think it's safe to say we can stop dragging up lesser knwon comics to make toys and halloween costumes and to an exrend halloween chocolates out of. We canstop with all the films now and move on to a new era of film...

Post #: 5
- 22/5/2008 10:05:05 AM   
Skyjunky21

Runaways is well suited for a big-screen adaption. The witty dialogue and character interaction if done right could br great. Joss Whedon to direct would be good....

Post #: 6
The fact that Vaughn is writting it is crucial - 22/5/2008 10:24:27 AM   
Hochopepa

I feel his recent scripts for Lost show that he can write for tv/movies as well as his excellent comic work.

Does anybody else feel that they should get Joss Whedon (a fan of the series and the writer of the current Runaways story arc) to direct this?

And Molly is indeed brilliant

Post #: 7
RE: The fact that Vaughn is writting it is crucial - 22/5/2008 11:02:49 AM   
CBC

No. As much as I love Whedon's work (especially Firefly), his arc on The Runaways is a absolute mess...I'd rather that he do a Serenity sequel.  CBC 

(in reply to Hochopepa)
Post #: 8
'Z' list characters coming to a screen near you... - 22/5/2008 11:05:12 AM   
jpt1976

...Marvel should stick to the big names and make them a priority instead of putting every comic property they own forward as a new franchise.

Post #: 9
- 22/5/2008 11:40:37 AM   
JS

Brave, but potentially a very good idea. Moving away from their big names to some of the less well-known (but interesting) characters might not work for them, but it makes sense - much as I enjoyed Iron Man and will probably enjoy Hulk and the rest, I don't want to see the same three or four characters cropping up in films every few years. Much better to spread things around a little. If 'Wanted' works, that's good evidence that one doesn't need a well-known comic, provided the idea is good enough.

And this one does have some very good ideas (and some less so). If the characters are reproduced well, it can easily attract kids, teenagers and adults. Molly will be an instant hit with lots of girls and aside from everything else - it has a dinosaur (which manages to be both dangerous, intimidating and cute as required)! Runaways also has the advantage of being accessible (it is largely divorced from the rest of the Marvel Universe) and could be more directed towards the younger audience without dumbing down for older fans.

Finally - it has a dinosaur!

Post #: 10
- 22/5/2008 11:49:36 AM   
playaslaya

Haven't read this but love BKV's work on Lost and especially Y: The Last Man so I have high hopes for this and I'm glad he's scripting too as opposed to just handing it over to another writer. Would be great if he writes the Y scripts too though I'm not sure if DJ Caruso is good enough to pull it off. Not sure about Shia as Yorrick either...

Post #: 11
- 22/5/2008 12:03:44 PM   
drake22

I'd sooner see somthing else, more spidey, a world war hulk one maybe? i mean after the avengers movie is done with and we can right the wrong done in X3(pat stewart dying!! horrible).

Post #: 12
This is very good news! - 22/5/2008 12:54:38 PM   
themguidedmissiles

Runaways is fantastic. Joss whedon even had a run writing it. If that doesnt get your geek-sense tingling then nothing will.

Especially good news that Vaughan is writing it. Now if only you can get a few more details, like which charachters he's planning on starting with, Will it feature Cloak and Dagger?

Its a very different approach to the standard superhero fare. Get youself down to forbidden planet now and pick up the trades

Post #: 13
RE: 'Z' list characters coming to a screen near you... - 22/5/2008 12:55:47 PM   
Steviepunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpt1976

...Marvel should stick to the big names and make them a priority instead of putting every comic property they own forward as a new franchise.

I couldn't agree less with that statement.

While it's good to have the big blockbusters like Spider Man, Iron Man, X-Men, etc, there is no need for every single film to a block buster.  Sooner or later tastes will change and super hero blockbusters will stop being a big draw, this would mean the end of Marvel Studios - I think we'd probably agree we wouldn't want that to happen.

By developing smaller and lesser known names, there is an opportunity to A. Do things on a smaller budget, B. Try something new that couldn't be risked on an 'Iron Man' size budget, and most importantly C. Surprise us!!

Not saying they should be turning everything into a movie, but picking the right lesser known comics would be a good move.  The best example of this would be Blade, which was a small brand for Marvel until the movie came out but the film had a huge impact and took many people by surprise.  I'd like to see more of this along with the other big names.

(in reply to jpt1976)
Post #: 14
RE: - 22/5/2008 5:08:51 PM   
orca

quote:

ORIGINAL: JS

Brave, but potentially a very good idea. Moving away from their big names to some of the less well-known (but interesting) characters might not work for them, but it makes sense - much as I enjoyed Iron Man and will probably enjoy Hulk and the rest, I don't want to see the same three or four characters cropping up in films every few years. Much better to spread things around a little. If 'Wanted' works, that's good evidence that one doesn't need a well-known comic, provided the idea is good enough.

Wanted will probably work because it's almost entirely different from the comic. I don't think you can even compare them, so much has been changed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: themguidedmissiles

Runaways is fantastic. Joss whedon even had a run writing it. If that doesnt get your geek-sense tingling then nothing will.

Heh, if Whedon's run of five issues ever finishes. Here's hoping they don't film that waste of time (-traveling). The first arc with the Pride would work really well as a stand alone movie, but keeping it true to the comic would mean no Victor just yet, and... well, he's the best. Cyborg son of Ultron, possibly destined to become a supervillain wiping out the world's heroes? Fuck yeah!

For those who don't know, as well as a dinosaur, it also has lesbian(s). Space lesbians!

< Message edited by orca -- 22/5/2008 5:24:33 PM >

(in reply to JS)
Post #: 15
Semi-interested - 22/5/2008 7:51:53 PM   
H is the greatest

Never heard of them before but their story of balance is one I can tolerate.

Post #: 16
Great news! - 23/5/2008 12:11:54 AM   
DJ Satan

If you haven't read it yet then shame on you.

I hope they get big named stars to play the Pride with a bunch of unknowns for the kids. That will fuck with the mainstream moviegoers heads.

Post #: 17
Amazing News! - 23/5/2008 1:38:46 PM   
aye_min

Runaways is such a brilliant series and it is screaming to be made into a feature film. As long as it is written and acted as intelligently and humorously as the source material, this will be a great piece for Marvel to produce! Definitely agree that the kids be unknowns. The story and the characters should be the thing, not some jumped up Dakota Fanny-type.

Post #: 18
- 24/5/2008 12:09:52 AM   
spikespiegel

sounds like a cool premise

Post #: 19
- 24/5/2008 11:04:49 AM   
homerbert

Since this is Marvel pictures, I'd hope that they can get Joss Whdon involved. Having written the comic, he clearly loves the characters. That's asuming Dollhouse gets cancelled, though.

Post #: 20
- 25/5/2008 2:09:54 PM   
OdhranO

Runaways is brilliant comic, I was hoping Marvel would have the brains to greenlight it. And that Vaughan is scripting is a dream come true. Can't waitfor this one!

Post #: 21
Mixed feelings - 25/5/2008 7:54:06 PM   
paolo_volva

Having read the comic from the very beginning, I should be excited about this. However, I still feel it'd work better as a TV series. There's some very complex characters, not to mention the relationships between each Runaway and their respective parents. A lot of people are taking Joss Whedon's involvement on the title has been a good thing. It hasn't. Over a year for 6 issues? It's obvious he doesn't care about the characters or the title. At least they gave it to BKV, who created them in the first place.

Post #: 22
'Z List Characters'...? ...easy, tiger! - 26/5/2008 12:57:18 AM   
Thumbsucker

There's nothing wrong with this announcement - yes, The Runaways may not be Marvel's biggest property but has ceratinly been it's most interesting, existing on the outskirts of its current releases. From someone who (while been excited by Marvel's recent big tentpole output) is thrilled to hear that someone like Bendis is being allowed to get some cinema time, this could prove to be a nice little niche movie that, with a bit of encouragement could, like the book itself, be the little Marvel movie that could. Bring it on.

Post #: 23
Re:" 'Z List Characters'...? ...easy, tiger!"... - 26/5/2008 1:01:02 AM   
Thumbsucker

Eep. I said Bendis. I meant Vaughn. Of course, I meant Vaughn!!! Christ, they'll never let me in The Travelling Man again...! (Oh, while I'm back-pedalling, give Bendis some screen time. Phew!)

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Marvel To Bring Runaways To The Screen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI