Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

James Cameron Will Make You Believe

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> James Cameron Will Make You Believe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
James Cameron Will Make You Believe - 21/5/2008 4:13:12 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 21/5/2008 4:13:12 PM   
waltham1979

I don't know what it is but I have a completely irrational dislike of James Cameron. Like some of his films - but just cannot stand him !!
Dont know why ?? .... very strange !!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 21/5/2008 4:14:25 PM   
Timon

If anyone can do it, Cameron can but surely if you see an alien figure on the screen that's say, 7ft tall with 3 heads, you're automatically going to think 'That's not real, how did they do that?'

Post #: 3
THE NEXT STEP IN CINEMATIC EVOLUTION? - 21/5/2008 4:18:45 PM   
boredbluekoala

Great effects do not a great movie make, however , Jim Cameron is THE action director of the last 20 years, none of that slo-mo crap John Woo employs, and no physics defying acrobatics favored by just about every director from The Wachowskis onwards. Cameron's movies though fantastic in concept, have always remained primarily about story and grounded in a certian solid reality, so much so in fact that people still talk about his pics with hushed awe. I await AVATAR with much anticipation, and if anyone can pull of the synthetic environment/character double wammy it's gonna be him.

Post #: 4
RE: THE NEXT STEP IN CINEMATIC EVOLUTION? - 21/5/2008 4:24:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

The mistake Final Fantasy made was through really dull characters. Gollum make not have been perfect (although there are still shots which still stun me - Frodo holding Gollum by the neck and pointing his sword at him for example) but you never doubted, or were bored by the character.

I have faith in Cameron although I am slightly concerned that this is his first real move into modern CGI. 

Can we get a trailer for this soon? Even just one of those trailers that don't show you anything?  

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to boredbluekoala)
Post #: 5
RE: - 21/5/2008 4:26:36 PM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

I don't know what it is but I have a completely irrational dislike of James Cameron. Like some of his films - but just cannot stand him !!
Dont know why ?? .... very strange !!

You and half the people who have made a film with him.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 6
- 21/5/2008 4:34:12 PM   
lukeyboy

I do love a James Cameron movie (i have wiped Titanic from my memory banks), and i'm sure he will acheive what he has set out to acheive. But with all these CGI wotsits and technothingys going on have we overlooked the plot?

O.k so it's an Alien based story, with something about them being Avatar's for humans so they are able to gain entry to an Alien world,...or something...please....help me out here, what's it about??

Post #: 7
- 21/5/2008 4:58:22 PM   
Mr. Chumba

This will be my most anticipated movie of 2009.

Post #: 8
What about Davy Jones?! - 21/5/2008 5:02:25 PM   
steve1138

Maybe it's just me, but I thought ILM's work on Davy Jones in the Pirates sequels was pretty darn realistic...

< Message edited by steve1138 -- 21/5/2008 5:03:32 PM >

Post #: 9
It's been done - 21/5/2008 6:31:47 PM   
Silvertouch

Davy Jones was perfect. You can't beat perfection.

Post #: 10
bothered - 21/5/2008 6:41:39 PM   
leroythemasochist

who cares???!

Post #: 11
- 21/5/2008 7:07:47 PM   
IsabelB

so they think thier effects will be better than the matrix, terminator 2 and transformers? ppffttt, fat chance!

Post #: 12
Oh... - 21/5/2008 8:01:21 PM   
The_Hat

Hasn't he been saying this for the last few years? Also, is 'director says his film will be great' actually news? He's hardly going to say that the special effects will be dogshit is he?

Post #: 13
Oh... - 21/5/2008 8:06:52 PM   
The_Hat

Hasn't he been saying this for the last few years? Also, is 'director says his film will be great' actually news? He's hardly going to say that the special effects will be dogshit is he?

Post #: 14
RE: Oh... - 21/5/2008 11:47:50 PM   
eruptus

quote:

ORIGINAL: The_Hat

He's not really saying that his film will be great, he's talking about the effects.

I don't think that he'd be saying this unless he knew that this film will be something else. It's obvious that he knows this technology so well that he can make this kind of a bold statement. They are spending a year and a half in post production so it'll look great no matter what.

(in reply to The_Hat)
Post #: 15
RE: Oh... - 21/5/2008 11:50:43 PM   
bad hat harry

at the very least Avatar will be worth going to the movies for, i think it'll be a proper huge event movie, although it will inevitably become part of the "it got x number of stars? i demand it be give more/less" delete as appropriate. I've become pretty convinced that its the same person that posts that in every review thread, just like that nutter on the imdb board who always posts " does (insert actors/actress name) smoke in this movie?" on the message boards for every movie, actor and TV show. it's a level of obsession that i can only gaze at in astonishment

hopefully Avatar will have an interesting story as i don't think a movie thats solely a 2.5 hour special effects showcase has all that much appeal for a lot of people. i think the failure of speed racer shows that. same thing with the pirates of the Caribbean sequels especially at worlds end. they made a ton of money but just arent that good. there was so much focus on the effects that they forgot to give the characters something compelling to do. i don't think James Cameron will make that mistake, he's spent long enough making this particular movie not to. i suspect that the reason James Cameron seems to talk about the technology in every single interview for this is that he doesn't want to give away too much about the story.

the other thing i hope is that it doesn't take him another 12 years to release a proper movie again. i didn't really like true lies and felt Titanic was 90 minutes too long but they were still entertaining. if i enjoy avatar half a much as aliens, the terminator movies and especially the Abyss, I'll walk out the the cinema ecstatically happy

< Message edited by bad hat harry -- 21/5/2008 11:54:10 PM >

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.
Woody Allen

(in reply to The_Hat)
Post #: 16
RE: Oh... - 22/5/2008 12:49:14 AM   
pablohoolio

Olly, this bit - "Making beings in a computer that remain completely convincing alongside live-action humans is something that has never been fully achieved in movies, although Peter Jackson has come closest and made enormous leaps. But Cameron believes he has the technology."

I would have thought that the closest and by far the best example of CGi creatures / beings existing perfectly with real humans was Davey Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean?

I love Gollum, but the Two Towers, some shots look a bit dated already. Wheras you really actually genuinely couldn't tell if Davey Jones was prosthetics or CGI. In hardly any shot did he look less that 100% real. Same goes for the crew of the Dutchman. So I think really, ILM have come closest to producing real CGI characters that interact with their environment.

Davey Jones is still the best and most underated use of CGi in any movie IMO.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to bad hat harry)
Post #: 17
- 22/5/2008 3:07:15 AM   
spikespiegel

I'm amazed, utterly amazed that he said this: "I don't know whether [this] will be [a] great film from a narrative and critical standpoint."

these elements are far more important than special effects. Phantom Menace was "an experience". The Matrix sequels were "an experience".

Post #: 18
3d? - 22/5/2008 11:16:13 AM   
danbo1138

has anyone told cameron that 3D peojectors are like rocking horse shit?i don't know of any near where i live

Post #: 19
visionary - 22/5/2008 12:26:19 PM   
darktrain

i think we need people like cameron..hes a visionary and a boundary pusher..the only thing is now we've been told that there will be cgi people in the film we kinda know what to expect..if it had been kept schtum and people had been told after watching the film he may get a better response to the leaps in cgi..

Post #: 20
RE: visionary - 22/5/2008 12:33:37 PM   
kumar

I hope somehow he can overcome some of the blurred visuals that suffereb beowulf. otherwise beowulf was an incredible experience and look forward to Avatar with hiiiiiiiiiiigh

expectations

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to darktrain)
Post #: 21
RE: visionary - 22/5/2008 1:41:21 PM   
broonie

Well only time will tell, but lets hope Cameron doesn't wait another 11 years before making another film.

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 22
Jurrasic park for me. - 23/5/2008 5:27:26 AM   
rob_devitt

I think as far as realism goes and accepting whats on the screen i can't get past the dinosaurs in jurrasic park. they were mind blowing. Obviously i mean realism subjectivly!

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> James Cameron Will Make You Believe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI