Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secret Window - 24/12/2005 4:37:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
SECRET WINDOW - 30/5/2006 1:56:44 PM   
vanpearcey

A slight story, given weight by good performances from all involved. Not a great movie, but enjoyable all the same & a solid example of the genre.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 27/9/2006 6:57:39 PM   
ukedge87

This film has an intriguing premise to it, far more intriguing and interesting than it actually is. It is pretty much your straight forward thriller with a twist, rather than anything special that the trailer suggests it is (despite being based on a Stephen King story).

Depp, as usual, is brillant - easily the films best aspect. He finds the role of Mort so easily, although the character is clearly written for him, and is the only part of the film that is belivable.

The whole concept of 'stolen transcript' runs out of steam after about half an hour and the rest of the film is just padding before the 'twist' in the last 15 minutes. The twist is fairly lame and old hat (i.e. if you have seen 'A Beautiful Mind' you have seen this).

However, Depp's manipulation of the viewer ensures that there is always some degree of interest in what is happening on screen - despite how predictable it is, and the intelligent connection between the author's book and the plot creates a super subliminial thinking point.

You will only watch this film once, and at 90 minutes you won't get a sore arse and keep looking at your watch, but its hardly the blockbuster/ intelligent thriller it tries so hard to be.

Post #: 3
Cool - 23/5/2008 10:32:30 AM   
blaud

Enjoyable, If a bit extreme for a 12A. The outcome's one that's been used a bit too much in times of late, but this is still a good film

Post #: 4
Secret Window! - 7/7/2008 9:56:33 PM   
Chimene

Secret Window is a great example of a Stephen King novel being turned into a movie! With Johnny Depp as the depressed psycho Mort Rainey it's hard not to like! The story is very captivating and soon you'll be looking behind you think some hillbilly is after you as supposedly you "stole his story!" Overall it may not be to everybodies liking but I love it!

Post #: 5
Secret Window - 27/9/2009 6:21:38 PM   
deppfanatic

David Keopp has created a brilliant film there are a few twists and turns and some red herrings to lead you in the wrong direction.i was kept guessing to the very end. But i loved the multiple Johnny Depps, never get tired of this i have this on my ipod nano to watch on the bus.

Post #: 6
Subtle And Entertaining Thriller - 16/3/2011 10:33:15 AM   
blaud

Johnny Depp is, as always, superb, and the film, while it lasts, is very enjoyable and somewhat chilling in parts, which is exactly what was being aimed for. However, the final reel is an outcome that has been used way to frequently, and now retains all but its' surprise and shock value. It's only at the finale where the film falls apart, and the dark, albeit open, ending feels mildly premature. That said, the film has a enjoyably dark atmosphere and manages to be likable and disturbing at the same time- no easy feat.

Post #: 7
"The ending is the most important thing, and this ... - 18/1/2013 2:17:34 AM   
movienut707

Although Secret Window is far from perfect, David Koepp's tale of writer's block and insanity, based on a novella by Stephen King, is nonetheless an entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable psychological treat reminiscent of The Shining (which outshines this by the way).

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 18/1/2013 2:18:18 AM >

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Secret Window Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI