Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gone Baby Gone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Gone Baby Gone Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gone Baby Gone - 20/5/2008 4:30:51 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
win tickets? - 20/5/2008 4:30:51 AM   
jono31

Woo hoo! Or you could get it off amazon or download it for free its been out that bloody long and is more like a TV movie anyway

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
win tickets? - 20/5/2008 4:30:57 AM   
jono31

Woo hoo! Or you could get it off amazon or download it for free its been out that bloody long and is more like a TV movie anyway

Post #: 3
RE: win tickets? - 22/5/2008 10:23:28 AM   
Newander

I saw this ages ago on DVD.

Indeed it is a bit like a made for TV movie.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to jono31)
Post #: 4
RE: win tickets? - 23/5/2008 9:34:08 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Newander

I saw this ages ago on DVD.

Indeed it is a bit like a made for TV movie.

I saw it at home a while ago too, but the reasons for the delayed release in the UK have been well documented.

I tend to associate made for TV movies as schmalzy and carrying little substance.  Its true that there's not an effect to be seen in the movie (unless you count CGIing some water into a reservoir, which doesn't quite have an oooh factor), but its good adult entertainment.  As a directorial debut I think Affleck does very well and it'd certainly suggest that after Black Dahlia and Street Kings the next James Ellroy adaptation could do much worse than go to him.

Much more than a popcorn movie with a good talking point to it, I'll give it ****

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 5
RE: win tickets? - 29/5/2008 2:54:51 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Well the award for most overhyped movie of the year goes to Gone Baby Gone. Its attempts at understated considered drama fail, resulting in a total lack of urgency to the narrative, which considering that its about child abduction is a major flaw. Casey Affleck is miscast, too laid back & given little to work with there's no depth to his character. The whole thing lacks the sense of involvement needed & then it takes one ludicrous plot twist too many in the final reel as it becomes a bog standard Hollywood thriller with a final coda of moral ambiguity. There is a sense that Ben Affleck (who may go on to be a very good director) feels the film is far more important than it actually is.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6
Excellent film. - 2/6/2008 1:00:24 AM   
marco772

Like many, I saw this ages ago. I thought it was excellent; a faithful adaptation of a great novel.
Perfect in all respects but one tiny bit of casting. I think most fans of the books will be disappointed by the casting of Bubba Rogowski; a domineering character in the books, somewhat unremarkable in the movie. Otherwise, spot on.
Massive kudos to Affleck Snr!

Post #: 7
Very moving - 4/6/2008 10:13:38 AM   
Kittys_Gremlin

I think it's safe to say this film left me feeling uncomfortable throughout. It was unsettling, unnerving & incredibly thoughtful. Although the "twist" ending was a bit obvious I loved the very final scene which made you leave with a bad taste in your mouth.
Basically, if you want to watch a film that's genuinely dark & leaves you questioning your own morality, this is for you. If however you want action scenes with little concentration, go see Iron Man.

Post #: 8
Gone Baby Gone - 4/6/2008 7:58:24 PM   
David Dvd 1988

One of the best thrillers this year. Casey Afflecks best performance since jesse james along with a great cast of ed harris, morgan freeman and the excellant oscar nominated amy ryan. It must be me but half-way threw i kinda knew what was gonna happen but still enjoyed what was a gripping film. Ben should stick to directing cause this is one of the best debut films from an actor in years.

Post #: 9
Casey Affleck was not nominated in the Academy Awards? - 5/6/2008 8:56:35 PM   
nc_jj

This is one of the coolest performances I've ever seen. Oscar-worthy. And the coolest film debut since Hard Eight.
My top 250: #18. Great Movie. You do not want to miss this.

Post #: 10
Casey Affleck was not nominated in the Academy Awards? - 5/6/2008 8:56:44 PM   
nc_jj

This is one of the coolest performances I've ever seen. Oscar-worthy. And the coolest film debut since Hard Eight.
My top 250: #18. Great Movie. You do not want to miss this.

Post #: 11
RE: Casey Affleck was not nominated in the Academy Awards? - 6/6/2008 1:11:36 PM   
demoncleaner

It could be the hangover talking but this in one of the best films I've seen in all my puff.

Now, let's be realistic here.  In this day and age of cynical second-guessing audiences you're asking for trouble if you attempt to do a tricksy thriller, and people (well, let's be specific...cunts) might leave the cinema instinctively and duty-bound to bitch about "plot" and "twists" and "turns" but in the same vein as a Chinatown, a Silence of the Lambs or an LA Confidential the real achievement is couching all this thriller guff in a system of maturity and understanding, and Gone Baby Gone has that in spades.  For this unassuming little gem Affleck ropes in his brother, up and coming character actors (Amy Ryan!) old warhorses (Ed Harris!) and punters off Boston's dole queues (seemingly) to account for themselves in stellar performances.  Even the exposition (that one thing guaranteed to belie your film as a piece of tat) is handled masterfully, as it's used more as a resonant effect on Casey Affleck's face than a head-pat to the audience.  What could have been a trite ending gives way to a truly adept and intelligent disection of a moral dilemma with none of the con-comitant hysteria that usually comes hand-in-hand from movieland.

Fucking outstanding!

5/5

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 6/6/2008 3:20:03 PM >

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 12
- 7/6/2008 6:21:16 PM   
Dodge

Thought it was excellent. Casey Affleck was very underrated in this one and Ben Affleck did a great job writing and directing. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Post #: 13
Good but not great - 7/6/2008 6:58:37 PM   
Speedwagon Roll!

For me, Casey Affleck wasn't just young looking, he looked like he hadn't lost an hour's sleep in his life; look at those massive close-ups at the end, after all the torment he'd been through, except he looked like a moisturizer advert. Close your eyes and he's got a superb voice; look at him and he's just wrong.

That said, the atmosphere of his world is well portrayed, (especially the cast of massively overweight extras) and the movie looks great. Ed Harris is as good as ever, and Morgan Friedman is Morgan Friedman.

The plot is labyrinthine, and in being wrapped up in flash backs at the end does make the movie a bit TV like, but the sleazy characterization and dialogue were way out of TV league.

Having read and loved the book, I missed the noir humour and thought Angie disappointingly realised. I never bought Bubba in the books so thought he was a real improvement!

Oh, Angie, that distinctly looked a gun that Kenzie used to pistol whip the dude in the bar.

This is definitely a superior whodunnit, but not half as clever as it thinks it is.

Post #: 14
RE: Good but not great - 7/6/2008 7:31:11 PM   
Filmfan 2

A proper review when I have more time, but I thought it was excellent.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 8/6/2008 9:38:13 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Speedwagon Roll!)
Post #: 15
RE: Good but not great - 7/6/2008 9:38:20 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Absolutely terrific... very dark and dirty even if the ending was like a light at the end of the tunnel.... all concerned turned in great work, especially C Affleck who is strong becoming a favourite.... just excellent

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 16
RE: Good but not great - 7/6/2008 9:40:35 PM   
mackey

Very good film, uses the standard thriller format to explore our notions of what's right and wrong, what's good and bad.  The twists are not simply there to provide shocks and entertainment; refreshingly they delve further into the themes of the film and it leaves the viewer with plenty to talk about.  Great stuff.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 17
RE: Good but not great - 7/6/2008 11:29:59 PM   
thedrin

Very very good.

Minor Spoilers:

The closing line of the film is probably the most gut wrenching I'll hear this year and is the only part of the film that I'd consider a twist (as in completely unexpected - uncertain charachter motivations were a given from the start).

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 18
The Affleck Bros - 8/6/2008 1:49:21 AM   
omarx

Watched it tonight.. very good film, very bleak, dirty, and unrelenting. The plot seemed abit contrived, but maybe Ben Affleck thought to spare us the train of thought to avoid affecting the pace of the film. CA I thought was terrific, and he is becoming one of my favourate actors. The film doesn't give easy answers, and leaves us wondering, what is right, and what is wrong. Very grey, yet very provoking, a great debute in my opinion.

Post #: 19
RE: The Affleck Bros - 8/6/2008 1:19:28 PM   
lamby

Watched this Friday night. I found the film very good. The performances were all great and the direction was fantastic. However what let it down for me was the overall plot. It seemed quite unbelieveable at times and i found certain parts of the movie unrealistic.

I thought Casey Affleck was very good but there was something his character i found unconvincing. Scenes were he was talking shit to the so called 'bad guys' just didnt seem natural. In the end he was a private detective with absolutely no power yet seemed to scare these people with ease.

In the end i enjoyed the movie but do feel it did suffer from being over hyped.

(in reply to omarx)
Post #: 20
RE: Gone Baby Gone - 8/6/2008 2:15:30 PM   
jabbathehutt

A powerfull film that asks difficult moral questions. Questions, that there are no right or wrong answers to. Isn't that excactly what ambitious cinema should do? Make the viewer ponder the film long after having seen it?
From technical point of view, the direction is brilliant. I've never been to Boston but felt like the film was looking very deep into the city and its inhabitants. It felt like a real, breathing world with Ben Affleck showing a great eye for the faces extras-wise, but the casting of main characters was also spotless.
The film also brings a second great performance from Casey Affleck, after "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". He seems to be the most interesting young actor at the moment and both those films are far much better than anything that won the Oscars this year.

Post #: 21
- 8/6/2008 9:10:39 PM   
mr grapefruitdrink

Saw it today. A movie unafraid to ask difficult questions, but one with the intelligence to not suggest glib, audience-friendly answers. Uniformly superb cast, delivering believable dialogue...The only possible criticism would be that the plot is a little clumsy in places. But all-in-all an intelligent, superior thriller.

Post #: 22
terrific stuff - 9/6/2008 12:50:36 AM   
tysmuse2

Just returned from a screening of this and I have to say I was blown away. Casey Affleck is truly superb, as are most of the cast in fact, I thought the first two acts were extremely well done, major credit to Ben Affleck here as the plot just races along and provides some of the most tense scenes I've seen this year. At first I felt the final act was unnecessary, but I was wrong, the final scenes make for compelling and harrowing viewing.

Post #: 23
- 10/6/2008 12:24:49 PM   
moviemaniac2

Gone Baby Gone's plot is eerily familiar, as a small child goes missing from a bed during the night while her mother is throwing back booze in the local bar. A media circus ensues, as the child's Aunt and Uncle go to small-time private investigator Patrick Kenzie (Affleck) and ask him to assist in the investigation, because of his local knowledge. As he becomes more involved with the investigative process, he begins to uncover hidden truths that will stay with him for the rest of his life. Gone Baby Gone is a film with many layers - each of them peeled delicately, in a production that is rooted firmly in the authentic. Genuine Bostonians are used as extras, while lead actor Casey and director brother Ben also hail from the state. These guys know this area, that much is abundantly clear; but this needed to be more than a grittily-realised love-in of their hometown to do its material justice. Ben may have directed his brother in quite possibly the best lead performance of the year; Supporting players are all solid, especially Ed Harris. In a summer filled with dim-witted multi-million dollar blockbusters, Gone Baby Gone is a film that begs for a viewing more than any other. One of the best crime films in a decade.

Post #: 24
Haunting - 10/6/2008 9:17:14 PM   
dahlia79

I only saw it today, so I'm still mulling it over, but I think it'll be a film that stays with me for quite a while. A superbly made film with excellent performances -there is no excess; everything has its place and purpose. The ending is haunting and a punch to the gut at the same time.

Post #: 25
- 11/6/2008 11:35:12 AM   
quizkid

i have to agree that this film has been overhyped by critics who in blockbuster season fall like ravenous hounds on anything with substance gone baby gone its too slow no sense of urgency which you think would be there in a child abduction case c affleck is an unconvincing tough guy the moral ambiguites are interesting but the plot is confusing this is no mystic river i really wanted to like this film more than i did sorry ben better luck next time 3 stars ed harris makes this film freeman not really in it long enough to make the necessary impression

Post #: 26
RE: - 11/6/2008 1:46:10 PM   
Groovy Mule

I have been looking forward to Gone Baby Gone for some time and I was particularly critical of the decision to delay the film in the wake of the hype surrounding the Madeline McCann case in the UK.  However, in hindsight, I believe that it was the right decision for the filmmakers to take as it allows the film to stand on its own merit rather than be swept up in the red-top hype.

This is a dark brooding part-thriller, part-police procedural that follows Casey Affleck's private detective in the hunt for an abducted girl taken from her home and her "white-trash" mother.  Ben Affleck's first foray behind the camera is a succesful one and he pitches the levels of suspense, action and exposition about right to keep the plot moving.  Whilst I haven't read the book and therefore cannot comment on the faithfulness or otherwise of the translation, this is a film which feels like it shares a dna strand or two with Mystic River, another Dennis Lehane adaptation and one that I rate very highly and therefore, it feels like it is on the right track.

However, it is not the shooting style that makes this film, it is the performances and the dialogue.  The dialogue is zippy and tight and feels like it has been written with the area in question in mind.  Not everyone speaks with the same voice and this makes the characters more realistic.  This is furthered by the performances.  Casey Affleck plays his private detective as an unsure, morally conflicted character but can raise his game to match the macho cockiness of some of the film's less salubrious characters.  Also a revelation is Amy Ryan as the grieving mother - this could have been a thankless bit part task but Ryan elevates the character and gives her real bite.  Ed Harris also gives his finest performance for some time as the cop on the case.

In a summer which has so far produced plotless bilge such as Sex and The City, Made of Honour, Superhero Movie and Speed Racer and more popcorn superhero "origins" movies like Iron Man (which admittedly I enjoyed) and the Incredible Hunk, it is refreshing to see a film which makes you leave the cinema thinking about its characters and questioning your own moral response to what you've seen and that is Gone Baby Gone's real triumph.

9/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to quizkid)
Post #: 27
RE: Gone Baby Gone - 12/6/2008 12:13:26 AM   
jrewing1000

didn't do it for me. i thought it was rather poor, badly written script with cliches throughout. I thought the characters were sketchy, Afleck's acting seemed to drag the movie along by it's heels. I just didn't really believe the whole show.

mind you, might be because i just finished season four of The Wire....

Post #: 28
RE: Good but not great - 12/6/2008 9:07:04 AM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

Very very good.

Minor Spoilers:

The closing line of the film is probably the most gut wrenching I'll hear this year and is the only part of the film that I'd consider a twist (as in completely unexpected - uncertain charachter motivations were a given from the start).

Damn right Drin , that last line was so "kick in the nuts" , although it was delivered in such a subtle way i can see many people who see the movie missing it .
Amy Ryan was the standout performance for me from a cast that was just perfect . Afflecks speech to Freeman near the end was powerfull in a kind of  restrained way that had Mrs. Beno in floods of tears .
It truly is a haunting mini classic of a flick that everyone should see and then think about ......cos there is lots to think about , morally and suchlike .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 29
RE: Good but not great - 13/6/2008 9:04:59 AM   
skeletonjack

SPOILERS

An excellent movie, with great performances all round.  I would have preferred it if all of the loose ends hadn't been tied up, as that is what generally happens in cases such as these, and the "twist" was somewhat hard to believe. The final scenes however certainly get you thinking. Easily one of the best films of the year.
4 stars

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Gone Baby Gone Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI