Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Charlie Bartlett - 19/5/2008 11:24:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Charlie - 19/5/2008 11:24:26 AM   
moviemaniac2

Charlie Bartlett is a best of John Hughes, crossed with Rushmore. When it works it;s funny and invokes feelings of nostalgia in people of a certain age; when it doesn;t, its second-hand and doesnt ring true. just when the film seems like its going to strap on a pair, it chickens out and retreats into the corner for a good cower. Downey Jnr. Is fun but there;s no reason for him to be there and, if I was to hazard a guess, the principal role was very much a secondary character until Downey Jnr. Singed on and his scenes were puffed out. A decent effort but must try harder.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Charlie - 21/5/2008 9:25:28 AM   
Timon

I enjoyed it. Sure, the ending is a bit trite but you couldn't really end it with him getting expelled and sent to prison could you?

It would be like ending Ferris Bueller with him getting his comeuppance.

I thought Anton Yelchin was a real talent and i'm looking forward to him 'seeking new enterprises' as Chekov in Star Trek and I now actually think he might be rather good as a young Kyle Reese in the new Terminator film.

Downey Jr once again channelled his drink/drug filled past to give a great performance as the school principal. In fact some of his dialogue, I could have sworn he probably just recanted from his own experiences.

3 stars.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 3
2 star film - 24/5/2008 10:26:44 AM   
daithi baru

with a 5 star performance from Anton Yelchin. The kid's a legend. He should just play the piano for humour as a career

Post #: 4
Charlie Bartlett - 3/7/2008 12:39:03 AM   
lynnshep

A new teen movie for a new generation. Great work by Yelchin and Downey. Downey has grown so much it's scary.

Post #: 5
Charlie Bartlett - 3/7/2008 12:39:04 AM   
lynnshep

A new teen movie for a new generation. Great work by Yelchin and Downey. Downey has grown so much it's scary.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Charlie Bartlett Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI