Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Indy and Crystal Skull

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Indy and Crystal Skull Page: <<   < prev  50 51 52 [53] 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Indy and Crystal Skull - 18/8/2012 8:51:51 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Geldart

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynnshep

Fun, but not a classic. Still better than Temple of Doom

WHAT!!!!??? better than... please ,tell me your joking.
temple of doom is amazing. dark. exiting.funny.breathtaking.

It's definitely dark. The point is, from an "objective" perspective, it can be jarring to call sci-fi Raiders-discordant but pulling-out-hearts and child slavery etc is, apparently, not. And nostalgia's gone too far if it's redeemed Short Round
Post #: 1561
RE: Speilberg,,,, Lost his touch? - 18/8/2012 8:55:08 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tt904

There's a cool joke by Patton Oswalt.... 'I wish I could invent a time-machine.... so I could go back to about 1990 and kill George Lucas with a shovel'.

Advocating actual murder makes "George Lucas raped my childhood" look almost a rational response to what is, at the end of the day, just a movie.
Post #: 1562
RE: Speilberg,,,, Lost his touch? - 18/8/2012 9:28:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

It's not advocating murder, though. It's a play on the 'If I could do this thing' type line. You expect him to say 'I'd tell Lucas not to make Indy IV' but then he hits you with the violent punchline. I'm pretty sure if Oswalt had a time machine, he actually wouldn't kill Lucas and wouldn't want anyone else to.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/8/2012 9:29:01 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1563
RE: Speilberg,,,, Lost his touch? - 18/8/2012 9:33:05 PM   
cerebusboy

Yeah, but I've heard it used lots of times very much in a "hmm, what would be an even better indication of how much I hate this movie than invoking childhood rape?" sort of way. You can think that all of Lucas' recent work is zero stars stuff and still agree that he has attracted a uniquely demented level of criticism (which I suppose is the flip-side to the rabid fandom that made him a billionaire)

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 1564
RE: Not as bad as history has made out - 18/8/2012 11:09:30 PM   
rubadub

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: trainedasninja

Never really understood the criticism for this film in all honesty as the orginal trillogy are not flawless either.

True dat! Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom. Excellent action beats as Empire pointed out.

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She got a..GREAT ASS !! and you got your head..ALL THE WAY UP IT !!
Studio Ghibli.I just don't get it.
Why would anybody care about my DVD collection or the last five films i watched?
Post #: 1565
RE: Not as bad as history has made out - 19/8/2012 12:05:25 AM   
rich

Indy 4 IS as bad as history has made out. Temple of Doom is an absolute classic. 5 minutes of Kate Capshaw whining versus 2 hours of absolute shite? I think it's pretty clear.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 1566
RE: Not as bad as history has made out - 19/8/2012 8:46:40 AM   
rubadub

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Indy 4 IS as bad as history has made out. Temple of Doom is an absolute classic.5 minutes of Kate Capshaw whining versus 2 hours of absolute shite? I think it's pretty clear.

RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She got a..GREAT ASS !! and you got your head..ALL THE WAY UP IT !!
Studio Ghibli.I just don't get it.
Why would anybody care about my DVD collection or the last five films i watched?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1567
RE: Not as bad as history has made out - 19/8/2012 10:23:56 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Indy 4 IS as bad as history has made out. Temple of Doom is an absolute classic. 5 minutes of Kate Capshaw whining versus 2 hours of absolute shite? I think it's pretty clear.

Have you been watching a no-Shortround Phantom Edit style cut or something?
No problem with Kate Capshaw. Can see while Spielberg married her!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1568
RE: Not as bad as history has made out - 19/8/2012 10:26:34 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Indy 4 IS as bad as history has made out.

77% on Rotten Tomatoes? It wasn't exactly just Empire that liked it.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1569
RE: Disgrace... - 19/8/2012 4:11:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Oh lord, you've now infested another review thread quoting posts from about a year ago, are you for real?

Infested? 'Another' I was at the DKR thread near the start, posting a damn site more than you, and it's been out a lot less than a year.

But: apparently so. The block button's right fucking there, pal. I was unaware that the website of the world's most popular film magazine is actually a Private Fucking Member's Club.

If you've got a problem Cerebus you talk to the Mods - this kind of post is not welcomed. And, in particular, we don't like spats being taken to another thread - I found this from your post on TDKR. Just as Jonson doesn't get special treatment nor do you for 'posting a damn site more'.

Although your current habit of bumping posts from years back to make some comment on it is unusual inofitself it isn't prohibited and if others don't like that they know what they can do - although it is by no means, as you suggest,  a review or even an attempt at discussion, so it might seem a little odd to many posters.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1570
RE: Disgrace... - 19/8/2012 8:11:05 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Oh lord, you've now infested another review thread quoting posts from about a year ago, are you for real?

Infested? 'Another' I was at the DKR thread near the start, posting a damn site more than you, and it's been out a lot less than a year.

But: apparently so. The block button's right fucking there, pal. I was unaware that the website of the world's most popular film magazine is actually a Private Fucking Member's Club.

If you've got a problem Cerebus you talk to the Mods - this kind of post is not welcomed. And, in particular, we don't like spats being taken to another thread - I found this from your post on TDKR. Just as Jonson doesn't get special treatment nor do you for 'posting a damn site more'.

Although your current habit of bumping posts from years back to make some comment on it is unusual inofitself it isn't prohibited and if others don't like that they know what they can do - although it is by no means, as you suggest,  a review or even an attempt at discussion, so it might seem a little odd to many posters.

Could I ask whether Jonson's use of "infested" is similarly objectionable?
The point about the DKR thread is that, early on, it was just some regulars making some in-jokes. I started posting shortly thereafter. Jonson's only on-topic "contribution" to that thread was noting that he found the ending cheesy. The amount of posts I made on that thread, although I concede that they might not be to everyone's taste, comes by replying to points. I'd maintain that such an approach, although there are only so many hours in the day, compares favorably to ex cathedra pronouncements and/or chap-door-and-run-away arrogance.

Posting on threads because the movie happens to be on TV/is being rewatched doesn't seem intrinsically odd to me and, in any case, is as you yourself note not prohibited. I can certainly see why the belligerent sollipsism of the likes of Jonson would discourage others 'newbs' or non-frequent posters from doing so (that said, it is big of Jonson to note in his status that he isn't around here as much as he used to, save all us newbies and proles from holding our breath waiting for the Main Attraction).

That being said: point taken, lesson learned, sorry for any offence caused or unnecessary work for mods like yourself.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1571
RE: Disgrace... - 20/8/2012 12:10:44 AM   
elab49

I already answered that in post - ie if others don't like it they know what they can do.

And we'll assume the point has been taken when the digs about status stop. No-one cares what anyone says on any non-Empire site - it isn't remotely relevant to this one.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 20/8/2012 12:11:28 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1572
RE: Disgrace... - 20/8/2012 12:19:05 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Nope, next question..

I have an itchy ballsack. Should I see a doctor?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 1573
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 11:43:25 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I found no problem with the alien story whatsoever - as I said before I felt it was a pretty natural progression from all the supernatural stuff and an excellent creative decision by Lucas/ Spielberg. Plus the final alien ship take off is a cinematic work of art

Well said Fluke. Glad you don't think Crystal Skull has any "plot holes" !

It's in the same boat as TDKR - a flawed but entertaining blockbuster

Crystal Skulls is the weakest of the four mainly because they borrow from too many Indy staples but it's still a really enjoyable action adventure. Harrison Ford is looking way too old though and Shia LeBoof is a crap choice as his son, you wouldn't immediately think he's the offspring of Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood.

I like the inter-dimensional beings plot as well, we've had supernatural for four straight films it's a good change up.

As I said before the whole massive boulder-spinning spaceship scene at the end is one of the coolest things I've seen on a big screen as well.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1574
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 11:49:30 AM   
Rgirvan44

Amazing that this fan fiction movie has got to 60 pages.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1575
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 11:51:38 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I found no problem with the alien story whatsoever - as I said before I felt it was a pretty natural progression from all the supernatural stuff and an excellent creative decision by Lucas/ Spielberg. Plus the final alien ship take off is a cinematic work of art

Well said Fluke. Glad you don't think Crystal Skull has any "plot holes" !

It's in the same boat as TDKR - a flawed but entertaining blockbuster

Crystal Skulls is the weakest of the four mainly because they borrow from too many Indy staples but it's still a really enjoyable action adventure. Harrison Ford is looking way too old though and Shia LeBoof is a crap choice as his son, you wouldn't immediately think he's the offspring of Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood.

I like the inter-dimensional beings plot as well, we've had supernatural for four straight films it's a good change up.

As I said before the whole massive boulder-spinning spaceship scene at the end is one of the coolest things I've seen on a big screen as well.

Yeah, the alien leaving was brilliant.

Don't you like how they reflected Indy's age though, moving it to the 50s? Communist Russians are great villains!

I think Mutt being a greaser was a great choice, I'm not the world's biggest Shia fan, but can't think of anybody off the top of my head who'd have been better.

Post #: 1576
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 12:02:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think because he looked so old it just didn't seem like I was watching Indiana Jones, just Harrison Ford in his old age and that immediately put a downer on it.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1577
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 12:05:48 PM   
cerebusboy

Hey, it's not my fault that you people gave up on the DKR thread so early!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1578
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 12:15:44 PM   
cerebusboy

Old Harrison Ford is still pretty cool though - he's still younger than Chuck Norris and about the same age as Arnie and Sly!

Post #: 1579
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 12:19:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I think because he looked so old it just didn't seem like I was watching Indiana Jones, just Harrison Ford in his old age and that immediately put a downer on it.

The age thing would have been fine - if they played into it. You know, like Kirk and Wrath of Khan. It was there...but it also wasn't.

I just think no one really cared on set. I prefer not to think about the film as part of the series. I throw it in with the Young Indiana Jones series. Expanded Universe.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 20/8/2012 12:29:27 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1580
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 7:16:25 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I know what you mean when you say it feels like fan fiction though

I think it's easily the worst Indy movie but I'm still glad they made it to see him get another run out. I just wish they hadn't taken so much from the other movies, you could almost tick things off, the brutal/ precarious punch up (killer ants/ rotor blades from ROTLA), fighting on moving vehicles, ridiculous drops from height etc etc.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1581
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 10:01:27 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

To be fair double and triple posting is suddenly acceptable. Maybe the edit button isn't big enough.

quote:

Short Round has a vastly more empathatic father-son thing going on than "The Beef". What I have seen in the Extended Edit of KOTCS and it was still terrible, just about 10% less embarassing.

< Message edited by rich -- 20/8/2012 10:06:31 PM >

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1582
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 10:52:22 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

To be fair double and triple posting is suddenly acceptable. Maybe the edit button isn't big enough.

Never knew it wasn't, and mods haven't corrected me. But that's noobs and non-regulars for you.

quote:

Short Round has a vastly more empathatic father-son thing going on than "The Beef". What I have seen in the Extended Edit of KOTCS and it was still terrible, just about 10% less embarassing.

Empathic? You could argue that shortround brings out certain interesting, positive qualities himself but the character itself is on a par with Jar-Jar. And Mutt also brings out some good aspect's of Indy's character.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1583
RE: In My Opinion.... - 20/8/2012 10:53:54 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I know what you mean when you say it feels like fan fiction though

I think it's easily the worst Indy movie but I'm still glad they made it to see him get another run out. I just wish they hadn't taken so much from the other movies, you could almost tick things off, the brutal/ precarious punch up (killer ants/ rotor blades from ROTLA), fighting on moving vehicles, ridiculous drops from height etc etc.

Yo Fluke, don't use this thread as an excuse to neglect the DKR one!

Post #: 1584
RE: In My Opinion.... - 21/8/2012 7:34:02 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Er, what's this extended edit you talk of?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1585
RE: In My Opinion.... - 21/8/2012 2:00:04 PM   
superdan

Made the mistake of watching it again at the weekend, and it did nothing to change my opinion that it's awful. It's a charmless pig of a film.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 1586
RE: In My Opinion.... - 21/8/2012 10:51:18 PM   
Dirk Miggler

The film completely loses the plot about 35mins in after the brilliant motorbike chase, a pretty blinding opening sequence, despite CG gophers and the shear ridiculousness of it all.

Le Beef swinging on CGI vines like Tarzan............ Nuf said !!

Final spaceship sequence is quite beautiful though.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 1587
RE: In My Opinion.... - 22/8/2012 7:53:44 PM   
dolfinack

I agree the first 45 minutes was crackin. Then.... the rest happened.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 1588
RE: In My Opinion.... - 22/8/2012 8:38:06 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dolfinack

I agree the first 45 minutes was crackin. Then.... the rest happened.

Then Marion happened.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to dolfinack)
Post #: 1589
RE: In My Opinion.... - 22/8/2012 9:12:09 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Er, what's this extended edit you talk of?

Whoops I meant Essential Edit. It's a fanedit, look it up online.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 1590
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 52 [53] 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Indy and Crystal Skull Page: <<   < prev  50 51 52 [53] 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI