Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ...remember...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: ...remember... Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ...remember... - 6/5/2010 1:13:24 PM   
flushedgordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

4 Stars from Empire... not bad at ll...

its a one star movie

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 1501
RE: This film is terrible! - 6/5/2010 3:03:02 PM   
The Hooded Man

It was exciting right up until they arrived in the jungle, and yes I'm including the fridge scene, after that though it became an incoherent mess. I'd give it two and a half stars if I could but I'll round it up to three.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 1502
RE: ...remember... - 6/5/2010 3:17:15 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: flushedgordon

its a one star movie

flushedgordon in [insert negative comment here] SHOCK!

(in reply to flushedgordon)
Post #: 1503
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 6/5/2010 3:21:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the very definition of too many cook in the kitchen. Throughout the film you see so many ideas competing to gain attention that the result is a film which is unsatisfying but has some moments of the old magic that help to make you feel even more disappointed than had it been just a bad movie.

SPOLIERS….

I will get the good stuff out of the way first of all. Ford is pretty darn good and continues to demonstrate that he can take a punch like no other actor. LaBeouf was surprisingly good in a role which could have been cringe worthy.  And I happen to think Karen Allen was a delight to watch on the big screen. While she will never be counted among the great actors the enthusiasm that she brings to the role and her chemistry with Ford made her scenes very fun. My favourite moment in the whole film is actually the school girl grin she has after Indy says she was always the one. If the film had more of those sort of light touches we could have had a winner.

Now onto the problems…

- Ray Winstone – His character had no depth and his 'double crosses' just felt contrived and used when the plot demanded it. I have no idea why we were to feel sorry for him at the end as there was just nothing there.

- Mutt: "You rode with Pancho Villa?
Indy: "Sure did”
Mutt: "But how?”
Indy: "It's a long story….but if you buy the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on DVD you will be able to watch my travels with Villa and every other famous early 20th Century historical  figure. Not only that but each DVD comes with hours upon hours of documentaries, pictures and maps detailing my journeys as a child right though to my 20's. All for the reasonable price of £50.”
Mutt: "What's DVD?”

- The CIA spooks plotline and Indy being blacklisted felt it was taken from another script. It was a storyline that was contrived and didn't end up having any significance. In fact you could have exorcised most of those scenes and still kept the plot.

-I wasn't as bothered by the concept of the Aliens (or whatever John Hurt – in a pretty depressing performance – called them) but did we REALLY need to see the corpse of one, and then actually see a live one at the end? It really took me of the film and it was not needed.

- Why exactly did the Skull have to be returned? I know Indy 'feels' he has to but before he looked into its eyes there was no real explanation given.

-Indy also seemed quite happy to help Cate and the Commies at any chance he got. Seemed a bit strange when he was having a go at Mutt for saving them (only to get captured again – really that escape served no purpose).

I could go on and on. Have to say these things didn't bother as much when I was watching the film but thinking it over I am amazed at just how inept it all was. Not to mention that nearly every scene involved Indy explaining the really quite convoluted plotline involving characters we have never heard of before.

It was just dull and it seems that Spielberg was simply not engaged in the material. Even when the theme kicks in at the end it felt flat, lacking the triumph of previous films.

Does any else think that in a previous draft John Hurts character was suppose to be Marion's father? Looking at the dynamic at the end it certainly felt that way – I wonder who scrapped that idea?

END SPOLIERS  

Two out of five. This is the Alien Resurrection of the Indy franchise.

Sometimes I look back at my reviews and think I got it wrong.

Not here though.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1504
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 6/5/2010 3:32:34 PM   
The Hooded Man

I have to ask this what happened to Karen Allen? She was great in Raiders but just terrible here, it was like she never acted before, it was possibly one of the worst pieces of acting I've ever seen, I can't think of a worse one. Did she retire from acting for years or something?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1505
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 6/5/2010 3:33:27 PM   
The Hooded Man

I have to ask this what happened to Karen Allen? She was great in Raiders but just terrible here, it was like she never acted before, it was possibly one of the worst pieces of acting I've ever seen, I can't think of a worse one. Did she retire from acting for years or something?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1506
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 6/5/2010 3:34:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I actully happened to really like her in this. She got the goofy feeling of the film.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 1507
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 6/5/2010 3:40:15 PM   
Deviation

Shit it's back from the dead. This thread refuses to die. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1508
RE: ...remember... - 7/5/2010 9:12:31 AM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

flushedgordon in [insert negative comment here] SHOCK!

He He, you noticed that too then?

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 1509
RE: ...remember... - 9/5/2010 2:08:47 AM   
max314

A rip-roaring first half, and a satisfying second - it doesn't touch the greatness of The Last Crusade (which I consider superior to Raiders) but it's close enough for a fourquel.

3/5

< Message edited by max314 -- 9/5/2010 7:24:39 PM >

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 1510
RE: ...remember... - 16/5/2010 1:14:06 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

< Message edited by BOHEMIANBOB -- 16/5/2010 1:19:19 AM >

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 1511
RE: ...remember... - 16/5/2010 1:17:18 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Why drag this up?
This is Harrison endorsing his own Phantom Menace.Enjoy the cheque..
A true turd of a movie,much like anything Shia has been in......Wall Street quivers...

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 1512
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 18/5/2010 12:58:44 PM   
Mooncalf

Even the stars are starting to confess this movie is no good - Yeah!
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/05/shia-labeouf-wall-street-2-indiana-jones-steven-spielberg.html

Never arrive at a funeral by parachute

Movie Poster Mashers - Need to match a font? Try http://www.dafont.com/

Post #: 1513
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 18/5/2010 12:59:22 PM   
Mooncalf

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/05/shia-labeouf-wall-street-2-indiana-jones-steven-spielberg.html

Never arrive at a funeral by parachute

Movie Poster Mashers - Need to match a font? Try http://www.dafont.com/

Post #: 1514
RE: Is this Highlander 2? - 18/5/2010 8:19:43 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mooncalf

That has to say it all!
Surely this franchise is dead now?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Mooncalf)
Post #: 1515
I don't care what people say, Indy's back! - 20/5/2010 5:59:12 AM   
eddc1990

I have to agree with Empires review this is a good typical Indy movie! Forget all the nonsense others are writing about this destroying childhood memories from the previous films because this does evrything they did, fair enough its not as good and its not the best of the films but did anyone ever expect it to be? Nearly 30 years since Indiana graced our screens with Raiders of the Lost Ark, even a genius like Speilberg can't fully recreate that experience for long time fans, but he can still create a fun action packed film, which is what Indiana was and always will be!

Ok the plot does get a little OTT compared to previous installments but it still holds that magic within its key character and Harrison still delivers as if he was never gone. Karen Allen makes a great return adding to that spirit and Blanchett and LaBeouf are a fantastic edition.

Its a welcomed return for Indy and fans should be happy with whats been done because it does do what it says on the tin it brings back that spirit and it does remind you of the first time we saw Indy dodging deadly traps, beating up the bad guys, travelling the world, solving the puzzles to find the treasure because like the previous movies all of that is in this one.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 1516
Shame on Empire - 10/8/2010 9:16:46 PM   
bnicholson50

4 stars? on a par with temple and crusade? As Jack Carter might say: You're a big magazine but you're in bad shape. now behave yourself. *SLAP* Goodnight Mrs Empire.

Post #: 1517
Mildly entertaining - 27/8/2010 5:19:58 PM   
Spacegoat

but really, it would've been so much better for the reputations of all concerned if they hadn't bothered making it.

Post #: 1518
better to watch it twice - 14/9/2010 12:44:13 PM   
lbellas

when i first saw this film i was'nt too keen but last weekend i watched all four films back to back and on the second watch i enjoyed this film a lot more

Post #: 1519
better to watch it twice - 14/9/2010 12:44:16 PM   
lbellas

when i first saw this film i was'nt too keen but last weekend i watched all four films back to back and on the second watch i enjoyed this film a lot more

Post #: 1520
Disgrace... - 4/10/2010 9:39:57 AM   
matthewj.white1234

ruined a great film trilogy. I don't see how an old Harrison Ford, a "too cool for school" Shia Lebouf, aliens, and some bloody chipmunks make this an excellent film by empire standards. You can watch it once, maybe twice but that is it. Just pray for no Bladerunner sequal

< Message edited by matthewj.white1234 -- 4/10/2010 9:42:17 AM >

Post #: 1521
terrible movie - 13/10/2010 2:34:51 PM   
vinnyjones

just watched this for second time and it is soooo bad, the list of things wrong with it is so long there isnt enough space here but ill try, nuclear explosion survival in fridge, cate blanchett annoying bad guy, crystal skull as the artifact, shia laboufs character name (mutt!) and hairstyle, bad CGI, the ants that can carry away live humans, john hurts character is annoying, the ray winstone triple agent crap and the terrible alien ending, i could name more but cant be assed

Post #: 1522
Dr Jones RIP - 14/10/2010 10:49:45 PM   
bnicholson50

So bad it spawned a new colloquialism for the decline of franchise movies into nonsensical absurdity. The Term "Nuked the Fridge" is about the only contribution this film offers to the world of motion picture entertainment.

Post #: 1523
4 stars??? - 21/10/2010 5:42:14 AM   
BubbaGump Shrimps

Having grown up with Indy back in the 80s, I couldnt wait for this to be released at the cinema, but as soon as the Paramount logo faded into a Gopher hill, I knew it was gonna be crap, and with a title like The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it could have been an episode of He-Man or Thundercats! Ray Winstone & John Hurt wasted & LeBoff... WTF!!!! Lucas & SS sold out, and BTW George, U now owe me money!!!

Post #: 1524
where was the character? - 27/10/2010 12:13:21 PM   
DavidKing

Aside from the fact that this was a badly scripted, badly acted, poorly shot, and unspeakably ill conceived disaster, why this installment didn't embrace Indy's advanced age, and make that part of its story I have no idea. It should have been a story about an aged adventurer, who goes back to his old ways only because he has no choice. Instead, we open on Indy (and Ray Winstone, god what an awful part he had), stuffed in the trunk of a car in mid adventure. where's the character here? the odd, I'm too old for this throwaway remark does not a character make. Steven, you should know this.

Also, why was the opening linked to the rest of the story plot wise, where in all the others, the opening (a la classic Bond(, involves an adventure unrelated to the rest of the story? Was it because the plot was so ridiculous, over stuffed and convoluted that we can't afford the time to actually spend a while with the character?

I could go on. And on. But please, if there has to be another one, SS, GL, HF - can you put your back into it? you could make something great.

Post #: 1525
Graded D-not up to your normal high standard - 14/2/2011 9:26:21 AM   
X Heart Tolle

I didn't hate this film, but I didn't love it either. When your 3 previous films are regarded amongst 'the most entertaining' in film history; you really are up against it. And I felt that this film buckled under the weight of that pressure. Clearly, it was trying to pay homage to what made those films so entertaining. And it seemed as if all the elements were in place. It just didn't work.The fault lays squarely with the script.
At times, its tone reminded me 'The Mummy'. That's really not a compliment!!!
Indy is deserving of SO much better, and frankly, so are we. Rumour has it that an original and 'pitch perfect' script by Frank Darabont�s entitled Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods was not to George Lucas' liking. Though Spielberg loved it. Opportunity missed is how I'd describe this.

Post #: 1526
Come on people, it wasn't THAT bad - 5/4/2011 11:58:13 AM   
lewistarantino

OK, I'll admit, it had far too much CGI for an Indy film. That is by far my biggest complaint to be said here. People who are looking for someone to blame for the film's quality, look no further than George Lucas. And before anybody starts biting my head off, wailing "It was Spielberg's fault too!" let me inform you that any input he had into the story of the film was stone-walled by Lucas.

And now we come to the part where you say "But Spielberg could have chosen not to make it!". Well Speilberg is known to have said that he simply wanted to work with all the old players again and have fun like good old times. And he KNEW it would not live up to the originals; "I wasn't trying to make a better movie than the first three. i wasn't even trying to make a movie that was equal to them! I just wanted to make a blood-relative of them."

And that he did, in my opinion. He made a Saturday night blockbuster that was simply made to entertain audiences. And that was all Indy was ever made to do.

Post #: 1527
RE: - 19/4/2011 3:24:41 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

quote:

ORIGINAL: midnightrambler1

I knew this film was gonna be terrible as soon as the cgi gopher popped out of the ground at the beginning, then it got worse, much worse. Words cant explain how disappointed i was after leaving the cinema. Indiana Jones is still only a trilogy in my eyes, this mess doesn't count.

One of the worst movies of all time

(in reply to midnightrambler1)
Post #: 1528
Silly but fun - 4/5/2011 3:15:01 PM   
Hillsman

I felt that this was a fairly entertaining effort that wasn't too far away from the Indy classics (except for the whole Sci-fi / Aliens storyline of course) Most of the cast were excellent, but the film was undermined by too much CGI, some silly characters (Blanchett) and pointless ones (Winstone). Hurt was also wasted. We also had scenes that stretched credibility (ants / waterfalls) and some really stupid, pointless moments (WHAT's with the gophers?!) I wasn't aware that George Lucas had such an influence on the storyline and I could well believe that most of the movie's silliness and stupidity can be attributed to him.

Post #: 1529
Well done Lucas - 28/6/2011 11:10:38 AM   
velvet

Well George, u have done it again and destroyed our childhood. I thought the Star Wars Prequels were bad, this is taking the michael. Where do i start, ok firstly nice to see Harrison back in costume, i can live with how it starts, just about but after that, its so boring. The title isnt good, not having Connery there didnt help, Cate Blanchett was so annoying, Ray Winstone has so chemistry wit indiana, Shia is annoying and the story moves slowly. The artifact is terrible, and it doesnt show what it can do and the fact that Indiana finds it so easily is stupid. Some of the action is good, the jungle stuff is ok, but too much cgi and flying monkeys, PLEASE. John Hurt is wasted, he was smoking something and the ending is awful. There is no sense with this movie that its fun and enjoyable, we are not asking for Shakespeare but jusy a rip roring adventure. The wedding at end is embarressing and poor Karen Allen, she is wasted. Worst Speilburg movie since AI, even the Terminal was good and that looked like it was gona b crap. Speilberg seemed to b on autopilot and agreed to Lucas on everything, Dont forget u have a writer called David Koepp who is a good writer(wrote Spidy 1, Panic Room). I wasnt expecting an a amazing movie but just a good fun exciting movie, which this is not. I hope they dont do a sequel and i will not watch any future Speilberg movies. I hope Lucas is satisfied, he has taken the piss out of all of us again. If Michael Bay had directed this, it would have been amazing, he doesnt get enough credit, you can critize him all u want, but boy can he do action. Even the Mummy 1 is better than this, and that had lot of CGI. Shame on u Empire for a 4 star, definitly a 3 , just

Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: ...remember... Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI