Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

So now what do I do?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> So now what do I do? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So now what do I do? - 19/5/2008 11:06:31 AM   
leroythemasochist

Thank you Empire for pointing out what many of us have been doing for some time. This is a piece of adventure story telling. Indy's not high arthouse, he's B movie fun with A movie money, stars and directors, producers and marketting.
This series of movies informed and shaped my childhood and now, thankfully, they have come back to show everyone out there with some 10th rate 'blockbuster' to peddle how it should be done.
I have no idea how my time will be filled without waiting for Indy 4. It's been a long time and come this Saturday, the wait will be over.
God bless you Steven Spielberg - you never let me down!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: not really a review - 19/5/2008 11:09:45 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

+SPOILER FOR INDY 3 - although I'm sure everyone's seen it now+

Does it address the fact that he's meant to be immortal atfter having a taste from the holy grail?

But he's not, the immortality only works if you stay in the temple and dont cross the seal on the floor, thats the reason it collapses when Elsa walks over it with the grail, the price of immortality is never being able to leave the place, thats why the first 2 knights who had it died of "extreme old age" as Indy says earlier

so there

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 32
Shia La "No No No" Beouf - 19/5/2008 11:11:37 AM   
Nickydo

Looking forward to this movie and not expecting anything different or groundbreaking but... if i hear ONE "no" come from Shia i will tear my hair out. He ruined Transformers for me and it's a shame because he is a good actor. Look here to see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

no no no no no no no no !!!!!

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

Post #: 33
For the love of god Empire.... - 19/5/2008 11:12:39 AM   
tallaght24

....Does the film open on the paramount logo fading onto a real mountain?

Post #: 34
Can I just add... - 19/5/2008 11:14:06 AM   
tallaght24

...that some people will probably not understand why I am asking this, but trust me....it matters!

Post #: 35
RE: Can I just add... - 19/5/2008 11:21:47 AM   
Dave B

I'm with Gimli, don't want to read any reviews yet but I've got my ticket booked for weds at midnight and I'm very excited. I don't think it was ever going to be a 5 star masterpiece and 4 stars is the best we could have hoped for. 

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?
Post #: 36
RE: Can I just add... - 19/5/2008 11:24:32 AM   
tallaght24

Are my eyes decieving me or is that John Rhys-Davies name I can see on the cast list, on the Empire site?

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 37
RE: Can I just add... - 19/5/2008 11:35:24 AM   
Olly Richards

quote:

ORIGINAL: tallaght24

Are my eyes decieving me or is that John Rhys-Davies name I can see on the cast list, on the Empire site?

Don't know why that was there or who put it there, but he's not in it. I've taken it out now.

(in reply to tallaght24)
Post #: 38
RE: Can I just add... - 19/5/2008 11:36:24 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

hurrah! Well if it's a star better than Iron Man, then it's going to be good.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to tallaght24)
Post #: 39
Cool - 19/5/2008 11:37:58 AM   
tallaght24

Cheers for the reply Olly

Post #: 40
- 19/5/2008 11:55:31 AM   
cleanbreak films

Kate Capshaw's in it! Wow, they kept that quiet.

NB: Empire'll probably notice the slip up and remove her name on the side credits, but kind of startled me to see her name again.

Post #: 41
Of Course! - 19/5/2008 12:01:28 PM   
Lupin 3

The paramount logo fade has to be there doesn't it? If it's not that is going to be an early indicator of trouble to come. Naw it has to be. And just because it got a star higher than Iron Man doesn't mean it has to be better than Iron Man Kilo_T_Mortal (cool name) Empire has to guarantee it's exclusives somehow. (read the review of diary of the dead and then watch the movie for an active demonstration)

Post #: 42
Of Course! - 19/5/2008 12:01:44 PM   
Lupin 3

The paramount logo fade has to be there doesn't it? If it's not that is going to be an early indicator of trouble to come. Naw it has to be. And just because it got a star higher than Iron Man doesn't mean it has to be better than Iron Man Kilo_T_Mortal (cool name) Empire has to guarantee it's exclusives somehow. (read the review of diary of the dead and then watch the movie for an active demonstration)

Post #: 43
RE: Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - 19/5/2008 12:03:25 PM   
Castor Troy

Good, good, good. Just as I'd expected really. I think the core ingredients for a good film are there - good set pieces, a good Harrison etc. For me I think it'll be the little details that will determine just how much I enjoy the film now.

Currently listening to the ingdom Soundtrack and from the sounds of it, it's gonna be good.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 44
I hope you're right Lupin. - 19/5/2008 12:10:27 PM   
tallaght24

Some peeps probably wouldn't understand the importance of it, but dammit it is lol!

Post #: 45
RE: not really a review - 19/5/2008 12:45:54 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

But he's not, the immortality only works if you stay in the temple and dont cross the seal on the floor, thats the reason it collapses when Elsa walks over it with the grail, the price of immortality is never being able to leave the place, thats why the first 2 knights who had it died of "extreme old age" as Indy says earlier

so there

You might be right...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 46
RE: I hope you're right Lupin. - 19/5/2008 12:48:00 PM   
Kazuya

In this case I couldn't give two shits about the reviews. I've been looking forward to this film since forever, so I'll make up my own mind about it. Can't fucking wait to see it.

"Bleed, bastard."
Post #: 47
Indy V fear..... - 19/5/2008 1:11:49 PM   
aerosmillie

First off, i haven't read the review yet. im not allowing myself to read it unti i've seen the movie for myself, Thu night/wed morning 00:01. I have however just read a george lucas comment that scared the bejeesus out of me!! George was quoted saying (in an MTV interview i think) that his plans for Harrison Ford/Indiana for the next film is to play the sean connery 'side kick' role in Last crusade to Shia Lebeouf's Mutt Williams character.
Can i just say a big 'hold your f%*king horses George f%*king Lucas' without even seeing Crystal skull, i can tell you that an Indiana Jones movie is about Indiana Jones. Other characters, locations and McGufins come and go but one thing that remains the same, and its the reason we keep coming back for more, is Indiana 'dont call me junior' Jones. Always has been always will.

Post #: 48
YES IT DOES OPEN ON A PARAMOUNT FADE! - 19/5/2008 1:44:28 PM   
Moribundman

Now will you PLEASE stop asking, people!

Thankyou mainstream media for the casual spoilers... It fades into a species of mountain, albeit on a smaller scale... ;-)

No, I haven't seen this film yet either, but since some freaks out there (who don't even seem to dislike the film) have been branding it with 1-2 stars, I thought I might even outthe average. From what I've read I'm going to enjoy this.

I'd probably rate TOD and TLC 4 stars overall (with numerous 3-5 star "bits") so hopefully this will fit in nicely with the other post-Raiders Indys.

Post #: 49
- 19/5/2008 2:33:31 PM   
shawshank prisoner

it seems we've fucked up the average user star rating by giving it random scores while ranting about fuck all. :D

Post #: 50
- 19/5/2008 3:41:35 PM   
stevem

This movie will be the biggest hit of the decade

Post #: 51
- 19/5/2008 3:41:51 PM   
stevem

This movie will be the biggest hit of the decade

Post #: 52
- 19/5/2008 4:03:52 PM   
Mr. Chumba

Wey hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats what I predicted and hoped!!!!!!!!!!!
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HA hahahahahah haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I'm soooooo haqppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any nay-sayers: FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HAH A!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 53
- 19/5/2008 4:04:34 PM   
Mr. Chumba

Wey hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats what I predicted and hoped!!!!!!!!!!!
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HA hahahahahah haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I'm soooooo haqppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any nay-sayers: FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HAH A!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 54
Saw it this morning and... - 19/5/2008 4:15:47 PM   
Seamie

....Would give it 3 stars. It was great fun but the plot was all over the place. I'm still not sure what was going on in some scenes. (what exactly was Shia's connection to John Hurt's character....and why??!) Great chase sequence in jeeps and Cate Blanchett was great, really hammy and over the top but just brilliant to watch! Shia's Mutt Jones character seemed awkward and out of place but still ok. Good fun and great action, just shoddy at times and could have used a 20 minute shave....

Post #: 55
RE: Saw it this morning and... - 19/5/2008 4:33:28 PM   
Gazdance

The review gives me hope that the film will be OK, since I've spent months fearing the worst, however until I see it I'm still unsure.  I've just finished watching The Last Crusade and loved it; as perfect an 'end' to the franchise as there could be.  Hears hoping Crystal Skull doesn't balls it up.
Post #: 56
DOTOR JONES I HAVE A TWITCH - 19/5/2008 4:50:38 PM   
komic book guy

ive got a twitch every moment i think of indy and what it wil be like and then you taunt me with this !
SHOW ME IT NNNNNOOOOOOWWWWW!
HULK MUST SEE DOCTOR JONES

Post #: 57
RE Damon Wise's Review of Indy 4 - 19/5/2008 5:32:47 PM   
JoseJones

First of all, I think it's not necessary to criticize Damon Wise's review of this film. Since it's an action, fun house spectacle of a film, I think it's great that Damon has let his enjoyment of Indy 4 simply reflected in his writing. Second, this type of film doesn't get compared with a film like Cache or Jules and Jim for crying out loud. Third, I thought Damon really discussed the main points of the film, it's positive and negative aspects in a comprehensive way. Most other reviewers scathingly ridiculed Cate Blanchett's "Boris and Natasha" Russian accent... and, Damon went easy on her... I have not seen this film, yet. But like almost every person on the planet, I will. Regardless, thanks Damon for a great review!!

Post #: 58
- 19/5/2008 5:44:44 PM   
Rogue

As long as it has plenty of 'Indy' punches like that seen in the still from the film above I will be a happy camper!

Post #: 59
Everyone is shorted out... - 19/5/2008 5:48:17 PM   
Silvertouch

...by the fact that it's clearly a bit disappointing, but is it too disappointing? It's a genre film (bad - for snobby critics, anyway), but it's also an Indiana Jones film (good). It's a Spielberg film (divisive) but it's rooted in Old Spielberg (good). Nobody knows what they're supposed to think, forcing them to have to decide for themselves. Which is the reason for the reaction being so confused. People aren't used to having to decide how good a film is based on its merits, they just work out how good it is supposed to be :p

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> So now what do I do? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI