Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

John Grisham- One trick Pony!?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> John Grisham- One trick Pony!? Page: [1]
[Poll]

John Grisham- One trick Pony!?

Yes- I wish he would stop harping on about bloody lawyers
  36% (7)
No- Although the same theme, each is different
  63% (12)

Total Votes : 19

(last vote on : 20/7/2008 10:40:26 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 17/5/2008 2:14:52 PM   
claytonmeister

I read a couple of John Grishams recently and thoght I had De Ja Vu. On checking it just turned out that I had read two John Grisham books. The Street Lawyer followed by King of Torts.

No it's probably a bit early for me to be shoeing an opinion like this after 2 books but I would like to know what you guys think and if i should continue to read his lawyerly novels??

"My father died when he was making love to a 20 year old. He came and went at the same time!" Richard Pryor

"You mean I'm black does dad know!?"
Post #: 1
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 18/5/2008 10:45:43 AM   
elab49

The lawyer ones are pretty much the same. There are some non-lawyer ones but I think it pretty much shows the limits in his writing. He is a pace and court/action man - Painted House doesn't really work IMO.

I pretty much got as far as Street Lawyer before I stopped - the earlier ones are much better IMO. But I was given the non-fiction one - Innocent Man - at Xmas. OK but not that innocent - Vanity Fair have regularly done articles on much more interesting miscarriages of justice than this.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to claytonmeister)
Post #: 2
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 20/5/2008 4:52:47 PM   
boaby

I thought Painted House was brilliant. I thought it was an enjoyable illustration of that time and place with some great characters.

I also really enjoyed "Bleachers".

The "Street Lawyer" is very different from "A Time to Kill", "Runaway Jury" or "The Chamber". Dealing with different themes, angles and aspects of things.

In fact the only Grisham book I've not enjoyed was his recent foray into non-fiction with "The Innocent Man". While it is admirable to highlight the flaws in the system, it almost read like a list. Lists are not fun to read.

If there is one strong theme that runs through his work it is wasted life. Whether that be through beaurocratic nonsense, greed, self-destruction or just circumstance. However, there is always a hint of redemption in the books - maybe not for the one whose life has been wasted for those around them who put the effort in (for whatever reason) to improve the "victim's" lot. I like that.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 11/6/2008 10:59:27 PM   
boaby

just finished reading "Playing for Pizza" and thoroughly enjoyed it.

not so much wasted life in this one but rather the process of one man preventing his life from being wasted. Not very hard-hitting, at least in thematic terms, but it doesn't aim to be or need to be.

Grisham manages to bring a sport he clearly loves to life, much as he did in "Bleachers."

Broadening his horizons is working out quite well for him.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 12/6/2008 12:11:10 PM   
Twizzle

The trouble with his books is that I'm never sure whether of not I've read them before. At the mo I'm reading King of Torts but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I may have already read it.

Saying that, I quite enjoy his stories - they're perfect holiday fodder.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 13/6/2008 2:06:06 PM   
Harley Quinn

I love his first few books.

Tim to Kill, Pelican Brief, The Firm, The Client, The Chamber, The Run Away Jury &  The Rainmaker.

Wasn't so keen on the Street Lawyer.

The Brethan about Blackmail and A US Politican is superb .

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 6
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 15/6/2008 7:56:13 PM   
Super Hans

I've read 3 of them (King Of Torts, Runaway Jury and The Last Juror) and thought they were OK but not great.  Runaway Jury was the best of the 3 and certainly the most interesting.  I found them all a little hard going at times purely because they are kind of dry and humourless.  I probably wouldn't choose to read another of his but then I said that after the first one so who knows....

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 7
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 26/6/2008 10:15:10 AM   
geekpenguin

I love John Grisham's stories, but I must admit, I've never actually read one of his books . How do I know then, you ask? I've been listening to the audiobook versions, and for some reason, it just makes the novels come to life. I tried reading The Street Lawyer when I was about 17 and just couldn't get into. But then I was listening to The Broker in the car and thought it was great (lol the main character will always have the voice of Dennis Boutsikaris for me, even if they make a movie version). I also listened to The Innocent Man on CD and it worked really well.

I think he's an amazing writer - and by no means are his books ever the same thing done in a slightly different way. Yeah, they're usually about law, but every them is different. Sometimes it's criminal law, sometimes it's tort law, sometimes it's business. And every story, whilst they have their similarities, always has a different protagonist and a different theme. I wish he'd write more to be honest.

And what about the movie versions?! I love them. I watched The Rainmaker the other day and it's become one of my favourite movies. Very well done :).

"When you can't run, you crawl; and when you can't crawl anymore, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

Batman Begins *****
The Dark Knight **** and a half...

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 8
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 9/7/2008 9:44:43 AM   
Goodfella

Any of you who voted yes on this have clearly never read 'A Painted House.' I strongly suggest you do.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to geekpenguin)
Post #: 9
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 9/7/2008 10:02:17 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

The lawyer ones are pretty much the same. There are some non-lawyer ones but I think it pretty much shows the limits in his writing. He is a pace and court/action man - Painted House doesn't really work IMO.

ALthough some of us have

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 15/7/2008 12:47:14 AM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

The trouble with his books is that I'm never sure whether of not I've read them before. At the mo I'm reading King of Torts but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I may have already read it.

Saying that, I quite enjoy his stories - they're perfect holiday fodder.

I have the same problem with Agatha Christie books. But so what if he's a one trick pony, if he does that one trick better than anyone?

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 11
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 20/7/2008 10:18:16 AM   
claytonmeister

Yeah you got a point there Bozo

"My father died when he was making love to a 20 year old. He came and went at the same time!" Richard Pryor

"You mean I'm black does dad know!?"

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 12
RE: John Grisham- One trick Pony!? - 20/7/2008 10:41:31 AM   
Sally_Ragdoll

Certainly agree with you there Bozo.

The Bretheren is my personal favorite, possibly because it was the first Grisham I ever read

*The Aerosmith Chick*

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> John Grisham- One trick Pony!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI