Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 16/5/2008 11:24:15 AM   
Cruisecontroller

There are loads of books about movies and there characters which one is the best you`ve read or seen?

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5
Post #: 1
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 16/5/2008 11:27:12 AM   
jonathan74

Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner by Paul Sammon

BFI Modern Classics: Seven by Paul Dyer

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 2
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 16/5/2008 11:48:28 AM   
Greg Andrew

My Favourite book, of all time not just about movies, is Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind. Its one of the few books that i have read more than once.

Also at the moment i am reading Rebel Without a crew by Robert Rodriguez which i am loving.

And Donald Spotto's Hitchcock is brilliant.

< Message edited by Greg Andrew -- 16/5/2008 11:52:58 AM >

Hey man this is a private residence!

Who the f**k are the Knutsens?

www.hingwayfilms.co.uk

http://www.indiegogo.com/the-consultant

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 3
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 16/5/2008 12:06:58 PM   
Heskin Radiophonic

Another vote for Easy Riders: Raging Bulls. I don't even care if it's true or not, it was a good entertianing read.

Heskin Radiophonic - Wait For No Man
new ep free download

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 4
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 12:18:51 PM   
From_Hell

The Kid Stays In The Picture by Robert Evans is good, although it's a bit self-indulgent in places (I guess that's quite an obvious statement!).

Also, High Concept - the biography of Don Simpson is a great read.....

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Heskin Radiophonic)
Post #: 5
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 12:32:06 PM   
demoncleaner

Pound of Flesh by Art Linson.

A witty antidote to the normal Producer = dillettante accusation in movie land.  In Linson's experience the writer is often the liability.  His run-ins with David Mamet are hilarious.  I haven't read any of his other books but the movie version of "What Just Happened" is on the horizon and was reviewed in this month's Empire don'tcha know. 

Post #: 6
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 1:06:03 PM   
clownfoot

If chins could kill: confessions of a B-movie actor, by Bruce Campbell is pretty awesome...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 7
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 1:12:15 PM   
MOTH

I'd also recommend Easy Riders, Raging Bulls (and follow up Down & Dirty Pictures) and The Kid Stays in the Picture

Also :-
Julia Philips - You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again (scabrous and funny)
William Goldman - Adventures in the Screen Trade (funny and witty)
Karl French (Ed) - Screen Violence (very interesting collection of essays arguing for and against censorship/responsibility with regards to movie violence)
Tom Shone - Blockbuster (argues 80s weren't all that bad)

plus Faber & Faber have a whole 'Director on Director' series, including Scorsese, Hitchcock, Allen, Lynch and many more - just pick your fave

and Taschen do a lovely set of coffee-table book by Jurgen Muller, 'Movies of the 20s' right through to 'Movies of the 90s'

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 8
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 1:13:41 PM   
matthewforan

I really like the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. It's really good.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 9
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 1:14:16 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg Andrew

And Donald Spotto's Hitchcock is brilliant.

I must check that out so. I've been thinking of getting a Hitchcock book of late, but he's one of those guys where there are so many books written about him and it's hard to tell what's any good without a decent recommendation.

I'm about 60 pages into Easy Riders, Raging Bulls at the moment too. It's one of many books I'm getting currently getting through though, so I might just leave it for now and come back to it next month when I can give it my full attention. I've liked what I've read so far though.

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 10
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 8/10/2008 2:12:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Click!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 11
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 23/10/2008 4:12:58 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 12
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 23/10/2008 6:51:17 PM   
DJ Satan

Another vote for Biskind here.

Has anyone read the John Leguizamo book yet? Is at scandalous as I've heard. He's still working so I can't imagine it being that bad.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 13
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 24/10/2008 6:38:17 PM   
Olaf

If Chins Could Kill.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 14
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 25/10/2008 1:09:49 PM   
punchdrunk

The "Making of Alien Resurrection", and "making of Judge Dredd" books were better than the films, showing the ork that ent into the films, they were great before we had great access to dvd extras, they have been a great inspiration to me in my artwork and visualisation process during writing. 

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 15
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 26/10/2008 1:21:46 PM   
clare_star_

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

If chins could kill: confessions of a B-movie actor, by Bruce Campbell is pretty awesome...

It really is.

''Twitter''

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 16
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 27/10/2008 1:52:04 PM   
tftrman

My vote goes to If Chins Could Kill too. I intend to read John Leguizamo's autobiography soon - Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas and The Rest Of My Hollywood Friends.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 17
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 29/10/2008 4:53:58 PM   
jonson

The Jaws Log by Carl Gottlieb. A fanastic insight into the production and filming of a movie plus a detailed account of all the problems they had to overcome. Makes you appreciate what these guys do.
I'd say a must-read for anyone interested in making films.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 18
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 29/10/2008 7:16:33 PM   
middleburn

Down and Dirty Pictures is up there, for the essential fanwank I'd have to say The Essential Bond by Lee Pfeiffer and Dave Worrall, brilliant trivia and fantastic photos from the making of every Bond film.

Well...that was fun

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 19
RE: Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? - 2/12/2008 8:03:12 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

CUT! It's a guide to a bunch of movie stars who have died. It's a bit morbid but still good. It mainly includes young actors (River Pheonix and Jimmy Dean) but there are a couple of older actors. Includes death on set incidents (The Crow, Twilight Zone Movie). It's a great read and I really liked it.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Whats The Best Book About Movies You`ve Read Or Seen? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI