Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE MIST

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE MIST Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE MIST - 24/1/2011 1:07:28 PM   
Mr Grady

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

The black and white was Darabont's intended version.  The studio, however wouldn't allow it to be screened in that way. 

One of the wee advantages that us film fans have - we can enjoy alternate versions on dvd/blu-ray; even black n' white.

Have had the BD for ages but have never watched the colour version. It just feels so right in black and white!

It's a mighty attractive Blu-ray, in colour obviously

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 91
RE: THE MIST - 24/1/2011 2:49:18 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I hate the colour on the BD. I much prefer the B + W version. The colour is so pumped and not in a good way, everything is oversaturated.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 92
RE: THE MIST - 21/6/2011 10:21:01 PM   
DazDaMan

My olds have just watched The Mist for the first time - and they loved it. Mum doesn't normally do horror films, but she did enjoy it, even if the ending was "cruel" (her words).

I watched it again with another debutante at the weekend, and she liked it, too. Think I will definitely add it to my favourite films list....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 93
THE MIST - 21/6/2011 10:28:32 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

My olds have just watched The Mist for the first time - and they loved it. Mum doesn't normally do horror films, but she did enjoy it, even if the ending was "cruel" (her words).

I watched it again with another debutante at the weekend, and she liked it, too. Think I will definitely add it to my favourite films list....

THE MIST is already on my Favourites List Daz. It's my favourite Darabont film. After THE WALKING DEAD is over and done with, I hope he directs another Horror feature.

From The Collection:

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 21/6/2011 10:29:33 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 94
RE: THE MIST - 21/6/2011 10:41:24 PM   
DazDaMan

I read the novella some years back as a teenager, and it thoroughly creeped me out. It was made worse by the fact that, on a fishing trip not long after, a heavy mist fell over the sleepy little port where I was fishing.

Bricks were indeed shat!

One of the best Stephen King adaptations ever - and three of those were directed by Darabont!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 95
RE: THE MIST - 22/6/2011 12:26:15 AM   
Scott_

Awesome film, it's on my favourites list aswell. Only issue is Mrs Carmody who is hands down the most fucking annoying character ever comitted to film.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 96
RE: THE MIST - 22/6/2011 12:43:30 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Awesome film, it's on my favourites list aswell. Only issue is Mrs Carmody who is hands down the most fucking annoying character ever comitted to film.

Erm I think less annoying, more sinister.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 97
RE: THE MIST - 22/6/2011 12:52:50 AM   
Scott_

Nah, not for me. Just annoying and over the top. Wouldn't mind one religious nut-job but the amount of people who suddenly decided she was right and ready to sacrifce a little kid for her after a few hours trapped in a shop didn't do anything for me. Thought it was pretty stupid to be honest, but like I said it's still an awesome film.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 98
RE: THE MIST - 22/6/2011 2:00:01 AM   
Spaldron

Its more a running theme King has in his novels about religious zealots who use god as an excuse to justify their actions (see Carries mother or Warden Norton in Shawshank). And the crowd turning so quickly to paranoia and faith based fearmongering I'm sure was intended as some kind of socio-political comment on modern America.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 99
RE: THE MIST - 22/6/2011 6:59:30 PM   
Gkel

I liked the idea but didnt care for the movie.
I thought the film poster illustrator job was a bit distracting (like in the WolfMan-making Talbot an actor).

Seems that they left a couple of things dangling like the bit about his military service? What was that about?

I found some of the characters reactions annoyingly implausible-like the neighbor lawyer-I think he was a little too skeptical and hostile about checking the backroom given the situation.

The girl and vampire guy(the military cadet who appeared to have eyeliner and lipstick on-looked like a vampire to me) chatting up like they are in high school right after they see a guy get bitten in half.

The easy conversion of the people to the zealot-someone surely would have punched her out way before that point.

Also-the ending--the military really ought to learn to use megaphones when in a dense fog-could save some lives!
Seemed like a cheap shot ending to me--at first I thought they had set it up so one suspects the main character was having some affair with the blonde woman and it was an ironic kind of divine punishment for his sin-but didnt get that impression from second viewing.

The documentary feel of it made such things stand out more so it bugged me.

< Message edited by Gkel -- 22/6/2011 7:00:11 PM >

"Eat recycled food. Recycled food is good for the environment and ok for you."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 100
RE: THE MIST - 25/6/2011 1:52:11 PM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gkel

I found some of the characters reactions annoyingly implausible-like the neighbor lawyer-I think he was a little too skeptical and hostile about checking the backroom given the situation.

Seemed like a cheap shot ending to me--at first I thought they had set it up so one suspects the main character was having some affair with the blonde woman and it was an ironic kind of divine punishment for his sin-but didnt get that impression from second viewing.

Don't think I ever met a lawyer who wasn't hostile to other folks suggestion and sceptical as hell
Interesting that you thought of the affair, in the novella they do indeed get it on in the supermarket. But cheap shot ending ? When was the last time you saw a film brave enough to end like that Gkel ?

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 101
RE: THE MIST - 25/6/2011 2:59:20 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gkel

It's established at the very beginning that he's a dickhead who doesn't get on with the Drayton's. I don't think it's ridiculous for him to be sceptical about what he's being told by someone who he doesn't like, especially given the fantastic nature of it all.

quote:

The girl and vampire guy(the military cadet who appeared to have eyeliner and lipstick on-looked like a vampire to me) chatting up like they are in high school right after they see a guy get bitten in half.

I thought they were a couple anyway, though I may be wrong.

quote:

The easy conversion of the people to the zealot-someone surely would have punched her out way before that point.

These are small-town Americans we are dealing with...

quote:

Also-the ending--the military really ought to learn to use megaphones when in a dense fog-could save some lives!

This I can't disagree with strongly enough. If it wasn't for the ending it would be a distinctly average film, but the harsh bleakness of it all, continually compounded over the last few minutes, makes it pretty unforgettable in my opinion.

I didn't get the impression that he was having an affair with the blonde, and in fact I'm glad they never forced some awkward and unnecessary romance into it, but it's an interesting idea.

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 102
RE: THE MIST - 30/10/2011 5:43:04 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Man that lawyer pr*** pissed me off something bad! I really wanted to see his ass dangled in front of the creepy crawlies so they could takes bits of him while his still alive so he can die a slow, painful death!!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 103
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 11:10:43 AM   
sharkboy

I had missed some of the last comments on this thread, but since it has been bumped, I can get the chance to give my thoughts

In response to the "unbelievable" elements:

The lawyer - take it none of you know any lawyers? (no offence DPP!).  He clearly had history with his neighbour (there was a reference to an earlier legal dispute between the two), and being a litigious type, was immediately on the offensive when the smashed boat house was mentioned.  Also, lawyers tend to deal in facts - I don't find it unreasonable that he rejects any other-worldly theory for the mist and its inhabitants.

The religious conversions - take a handful of ordinary, every-day folk.  Put them into a terrifying, highly stressful and, most importantly, inexplicable situation.  Add a few horrific deaths to fuck them up a bit further.  Then bring in someone who claims to have not only the answers to their questions, but also the path to salvation, literal or metaphorical.  It's not just believable, it's practically a certainty!  Just remember the tag line of the movie - "Fear changes everything".

Now the other things -

The girl and the soldier may not have been a couple, but they definitely had history, and there was a long-standing mutual attraction.  Didn't she ask him why he had never asked her out?  Anyway, after seeing horrors, why wouldn't you seek comfort in something else?

SPOILER BIT!!!

I don't reckon the ending was a cheap shot in the least; rather it was very much in keeping with the atmosphere of the movie.  The harshest part of the ending wasn't Drayton having to shoot his kid, it was when he looked into the eyes of the woman who had fled the supermarket to find her kid, now standing on the truck with her arm around her child. And at least, unlike King's novella, the movie offered hope at the end as the army were wiping out the creatures!

SPOILERS END!!

All in all, it was a fantastic horror from Darabont, made even more creepy in B&W. Four and a half stars from me.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 104
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 12:35:45 PM   
DazDaMan

I'd love to see the B&W version of this. The colour version was freaky enough!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 105
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 12:45:05 PM   
elab49

Do you use rental? They might have that version of the disc. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 106
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 12:58:09 PM   
DazDaMan

Nope. Might it be worth trying to find it on LoveFilm?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 107
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 1:02:00 PM   
elab49

Definitely - it's the 2 disc edition.

In fact, looking at Amazon right now the 2D appears to be cheaper than the single disc edition! It's this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mist-2-Disc-DVD/dp/B001F0ET9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320238856&sr=8-3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 108
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 1:12:32 PM   
DazDaMan

Done!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 109
RE: THE MIST - 2/11/2011 1:23:33 PM   
jcthefirst

Sure, you could just turn down the colour on you TV

[I know I stuck a smiley in there, but I'm sort of half serious]

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 110
RE: THE MIST - 22/11/2011 11:34:20 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I've been meaning to buy the special edition. Just for the black and white version, for some time. I'm having to use my colour control on my TV to turn it black and white manually for now!! Actually its not a bad idea is is?!!!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 111
RE: THE MIST - 22/11/2011 11:55:25 AM   
elab49

'fraid not - filming in B&W is a lot different to colour (lighting, art direction, etc) and they did work on The Mist to accommodate the change. so turning the colour down won't be the equivalent of viewing the B&W version

quote:

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 112
RE: THE MIST - 22/11/2011 12:04:02 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

'fraid not - filming in B&W is a lot different to colour (lighting, art direction, etc) and they did work on The Mist to accommodate the change. so turning the colour down won't be the equivalent of viewing the B&W version

Ah, ok. I didn't realise they did any work to accomodate the B&W version. I thought it was some rubbish retrofitted thing.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 113
RE: THE MIST - 22/11/2011 12:25:13 PM   
elab49

I think retrofitting gets a fairly bad name because everyone thinks 3D. It's not like that I think. A lot of mucking around with shots took place - it's a pretty impressive final product and well worth shelling out

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 114
RE: The Mist - 13/3/2012 1:55:44 PM   
Timon

My friend @RossDensley (on The Twitter) believes The Mist is an awful film. If you are on Twitter, please tell him he's wrong. You'd help me win a great victory over people who have no cinematic taste.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 115
RE: The Mist - 13/3/2012 2:24:33 PM   
st3veebee

When I went to checkout with The Mist in HMV a few years ago the clerk picked up the DVD and said
"Oh....You hear about this?"

"Yeah, a friend told me to check it out"

"Really? Its terrible"

"Oh...I've heard good things ab.."

"Nah its pure garbage. There are far better films out"(points to random other releases)

"I'll give it a go. I'm a big Darabont fan and, as I've said, I've heard very good things."

"Fair enough. But you'll regret it! Its fucking awful." (Starts to put it inot a paperbag but stops) "..are you sure theres nothing else you want instead?!?.."

..so strange. I watched it that night and LOVED it, and have watched it several times since: each time as good as before, if not better.  Also I never saw or heard from that guy again.

Top film!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 116
THE MIST - 13/3/2012 2:44:16 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I was just thinking about how I need to re-watch very soon (I usually watch it as part of a double-bill avec the equally awesome 30 DAYS OF NIGHT). Great Film. Easily one of the best horror films of the last decade.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 117
RE: The Mist - 13/3/2012 3:07:13 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

When I went to checkout with The Mist in HMV a few years ago the clerk picked up the DVD and said

"Really? Its terrible"

"Nah its pure garbage. There are far better films out"(points to random other releases)

"I'll give it a go. I'm a big Darabont fan and, as I've said, I've heard very good things."

"Fair enough. But you'll regret it! Its fucking awful." (Starts to put it inot a paperbag but stops) "..are you sure theres nothing else you want instead?!?.."

..so strange. I watched it that night and LOVED it, and have watched it several times since: each time as good as before, if not better.  Also I never saw or heard from that guy again.

Top film!

I'd love to know what he recommended instead. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather have Step Up 6 - The Dubstep!"

< Message edited by darthbane -- 13/3/2012 3:13:15 PM >

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 118
RE: The Mist - 13/3/2012 4:09:59 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

"Really? Its terrible"

Top film!

I'd love to know what he recommended instead. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather have Step Up 6 - The Dubstep!"

You should've told the cunt to mind his own fucking business and get a better taste in films.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 119
RE: The Mist - 13/3/2012 4:50:27 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

"Really? Its terrible"

Top film!

You should've told the cunt to mind his own fucking business and get a better taste in films.

Ha. I rarely get anyone mentioning their opinions on a film I am purchasing, when they have it's usually "Have you seen it? - It's great" etc. This was just bizzare: he was so adamant I shouldn't see it! Even if it was a mediocre/boring film his outburst might make some sense..but The Mist is just a fanastic B-Movie!

I still squeam when the girl gets stung by the wasp-thing...or when the mini-spiders emerge from the poor chap..

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE MIST Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI