Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Mist

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Mist Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Mist - 15/5/2008 7:31:01 PM   
Starscream

The Frank Darabont/ Steven King classic which is out finally in UK cinema on 04/07/2008 it  has been on Region one dvd for a couple of months now.

This film is fucking insane and very bleak but i love it! It was complex, entertaining and depressing. Can't wait to see it again in the cinema.

I can't praise this enough. And I won't say much about that ending but WTF! 

Appreciate it people

The allspark will be mine!
Post #: 1
RE: The Mist - 16/5/2008 12:17:10 AM   
rubadub

We've been banging on about this on DVD Discussion for a while now and yes,it is a creepy,eerie and scary '50's style monster movie ensemble piece,with great performances from Toby Jones,Marcia Gay Harden and Thomas Jane.Fantastic icky creature effects too,but the ending,jesus.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 2
RE: The Mist - 16/5/2008 6:04:00 PM   
bruce_banner

it is an amazing film, with some of the best creature effects i've seen in a while, and while downbeat and emotionally draining is never boring. I would say that if you have a region 1 dvd player yhen you should definatly pick this up as the black and white version is a great thing to have, especially as it makes it appear even more like a 50's monster movie than the theatrical version did.

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 3
RE: The Mist - 17/5/2008 12:54:54 PM   
UTB

Watched this last night.

In two minds about it really. The effects were a mixture of appalling and amazing. Thomas Jane was fantastic, and Marcia Gay Harden did an incredible job at making her character annoying.

(in reply to bruce_banner)
Post #: 4
RE: The Mist - 18/5/2008 1:12:15 AM   
mackey

Absolutely amazing film, can't wait to see it on the big screen.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 5
RE: The Mist - 19/5/2008 12:26:20 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

What an absolute shocker of an ending. Resembles a buffalo kick to the groin. I thought it was only 70's horrors that give us endings like that?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 6
RE: The Mist - 19/5/2008 7:24:15 PM   
stefanihorror

I blind bought this and was not disappointed. It had great suspense, gore and the ending was the best I have seen in years.

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 7
RE: The Mist - 20/5/2008 8:10:57 AM   
UTB

*SPOILERS*

i thought the ending would have been far more shocking if the military hadn't shown up, and David had been eaten.

The fact that the entire US army is just round the corner and they didn't notice was just a little too implausible for my liking.

That said, the film had acid spunking spiders in it, so plausible probably wasn't on the cards.

(in reply to stefanihorror)
Post #: 8
RE: The Mist - 20/5/2008 9:19:18 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

*SPOILERS*

i thought the ending would have been far more shocking if the military hadn't shown up, and David had been eaten.

The fact that the entire US army is just round the corner and they didn't notice was just a little too implausible for my liking.

That said, the film had acid spunking spiders in it, so plausible probably wasn't on the cards.

Hahaha, good point.

****SPOILERS AHOY******

I heard the ending was harsh so the suicides/shootings weren't too much of a surprise but still equally harrowing. It was just that extra body blow of the Mist passing seconds later that really hit home, it was such a nasty twist and as mentioned added that shocking kind of ending we only used to see in the 70's horror films or in some Twilight Zone episodes.

As the film progressed I was thinking what the ending would be and as they all got in the jeep and left town I imagined them reaching a major city limit or some large vista to have the mist clear to see the entire place overrun with creatures, flocks of those 4 winged things cruising about in the hundreds, herds of those giant walkers (very nice scene btw) and entire sky scrapers wrapped in that horrible spider silk.

I'm getting carried away but that's what was so good about the film, it really let the imagination of the viewer go for it. Sure it explained why the phenomenon occurred but not really what happened next.

****SPOILERS AWAY****

Altogether I was hugely impressed, the effects did sway from ropey to flawless but with the low budget it was handled incredibly well and the acting all round help to keep it grounded and Jane was fantastic, very believable and suited King's every man hero very well.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: The Mist - 20/5/2008 1:39:07 PM   
broonie

As I said on another post, forget all the other "BIG" films coming out this summer, The Mist is the film to see.

Waited months to see this film and finally got the chance to see it last week.

Another cracking film from Frank Darabont, in another directors charge, this could easily have been a run-of-the-mill horror but Darabont makes it so much more.
Eerie, suspensful, thought provoking and the CGI isn't half as bad as what has been reported on some websites, and some excellent performances especially from Marcia Gay Harden and  Nathan Gamble as Thomas Janes son.

I just hope that this film gets a decent chance at the cinemas this summer and doesn't get lost amongst all the "summer blockbusters" coming out.

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 10
RE: The Mist - 20/5/2008 3:53:58 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: broonie

As I said on another post, forget all the other "BIG" films coming out this summer, The Mist is the film to see.

Waited months to see this film and finally got the chance to see it last week.

Another cracking film from Frank Darabont, in another directors charge, this could easily have been a run-of-the-mill horror but Darabont makes it so much more.
Eerie, suspensful, thought provoking and the CGI isn't half as bad as what has been reported on some websites, and some excellent performances especially from Marcia Gay Harden and  Nathan Gamble as Thomas Janes son.

I just hope that this film gets a decent chance at the cinemas this summer and doesn't get lost amongst all the "summer blockbusters" coming out.

Good point, he could have easily been fobbed off as a generic, nausiatingly scared kid but he is clearly shitting himself through every scene and it helps to add to Jane's character's increasign panic. Good work.

I'm a bit worried that it will be eclipsed by the summer monsters but at the end of the day it's a damn good film, rather than a pile of over blown tripe.

(in reply to broonie)
Post #: 11
RE: The Mist - 21/5/2008 4:09:46 AM   
Deviation

I think this will become a cult classic. Terrible failure on the big screens, big respect on DVD.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 12
RE: The Mist - 21/5/2008 1:28:11 PM   
broonie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I think this will become a cult classic. Terrible failure on the big screens, big respect on DVD.

That seems to Darabonts legacy, poor box office return but massive success on DVD (Shawshank... & The Green Mile).

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 13
RE: The Mist - 21/5/2008 1:58:16 PM   
shane.knight

LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!!!!

(in reply to broonie)
Post #: 14
RE: The Mist - 20/10/2008 8:59:14 PM   
eleanormargaret

I'm so annoyed I missed this. I saw the trailer when I saw the Happening (the best thing about seeing the Happening) and I couldn't wait. But when it was released it wasn't shown at any of my local cinemas not even the little arthouse one. Eventually they started showing it at the local Vue only on weekdays (not Fridays) at 11:30 and only over 18s were allowed in. I'm definitely getting the DVD it looks like a classic in the making.

is it pathetic my life mainly consists of messing around with photoshop, my dvd collection and empire?
I <3 H I T C H C O C K

(in reply to shane.knight)
Post #: 15
RE: The Mist - 20/10/2008 10:17:13 PM   
BobM70

Don't rush out... It is a fine movie but hardly worth shouting about. Darabont uses the confined space to great effect, but the film is marred by mediocre acting, so so effects and above all a run of the mill story by King. It would work as a 25 minute episode of The Twilight Zone. As a 90 minute film it stretches too much. Nice fridaynight DVD movie. Nothing more. Don't expect a Shawshank or a Green Mile.

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to eleanormargaret)
Post #: 16
RE: The Mist - 20/10/2008 10:41:21 PM   
Chris66

I though this film was very good and it is a good adapt ion of the short story even though they changed the ending in the film which I don't have a problem with. It though the acting was good and I liked the design of the creatures. Personally I actually prefer this film slightly more than The Shawshank Redemption.

8.5/10

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 17
RE: The Mist - 21/10/2008 4:10:58 PM   
CORLEONE

Best Horror of 2008 by a mile. Not much competition, admittedly.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 18
RE: The Mist - 21/10/2008 7:35:10 PM   
dj vivace

One of the best horrors of the this decade more like!! A masterpiece

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 19
RE: The Mist - 21/10/2008 7:45:36 PM   
evil bill

Best Stephen King movie in a long time,and one of the best twisted endings in decades,a brillant horror movie beyond any doubt.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 20
RE: The Mist - 23/10/2008 12:05:52 PM   
matthewforan

It's a really great movie, can't wait for it to come out on DVD because it's one of the outstanding films of the year.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 21
RE: The Mist - 23/10/2008 3:42:18 PM   
ElephantBoy

This is one of those films from this year that i must catch up on, I do have a lot of time for him as a Director and it does sound that he's really in his element here, look forward to it.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 22
RE: The Mist - 25/10/2008 1:25:44 AM   
zombiemaster

I thought it was bloody brilliant just wish it was out before halloween. The ending was great. Did not expect that. Was cool to see that big thing at the end.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 23
RE: The Mist - 25/10/2008 12:24:05 PM   
TrendMeUp

Mediocre acting? I think we must've been watching different films Bob.

I really really enjoyed the film. I always love those set ups that feature a group of everyday people trapped somewhere, it just appeals to me. While there were some issues with believability, the whole thing gripped me from start to finish and the two hours totally flew by.

My only real problem with the film is infact the ending. I don't hate it, and I've listened to Darabont's explanation of it ("the karma had to fall on someone, King loved it" etc etc), but I think I'd have preferred a more ambiguous ending like the one in the book. Although the film doesn't really deal in subtleties. Having the car run out of gas and the characters climb out and walk off slowly into the unknown would have been preferable to me, even if it is a bit cliché.

Also, and minor spoilerage here, did anyone else find the scene towards the end with the absolutely enormous one just absolutely terrifying? I'm not sure why but it chilled my bones. Apparently it wasn't even in the original script, but I'm very glad they put it in.

I think it's sad that films like this are flopping in America and therefore missing out on wide releases over here while Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Disaster Movie are making a mint. Makes me agree with the anti humanism of the film even more.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 24
RE: The Mist - 26/10/2008 12:02:37 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

My only real problem with the film is infact the ending. I don't hate it, and I've listened to Darabont's explanation of it ("the karma had to fall on someone, King loved it" etc etc), but I think I'd have preferred a more ambiguous ending like the one in the book. Although the film doesn't really deal in subtleties. Having the car run out of gas and the characters climb out and walk off slowly into the unknown would have been preferable to me, even if it is a bit cliché.

As I mentioned above, I thought the ending would have been much better if David had got out of the car and just walked into the mist, rather than the military turn up.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 25
RE: The Mist - 27/10/2008 4:50:45 PM   
BigKovacs

I thought the huge walker creature was a good touch, it added scale to disaster.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26
RE: The Mist - 29/12/2008 7:42:08 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I was lucky enough to see it at the cinema (though it was barely released here in UK), I had the R1 dvd sitting on my shelf for months beforehand but I waited and it was worth it; THE MIST ROCKS! easily the most underrated film of 2008.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 27
RE: The Mist - 2/2/2009 3:25:06 PM   
lympo

I just finished watching the film . I've been wanting to watch it for ages but hadn't got round to it. I'm really glad I saw it, I loved the roughness of the filming. Now I am stupidly depressed... that shows the film done its job properly!

If you read this,you are stupid.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 28
RE: The Mist - 3/2/2009 8:25:52 AM   
Vitku

The film is amazing. I recommend the black & white director's cut over the original version. It really captures the place. You can find it on the second disc of the 2-disc special edition dvd.

(in reply to lympo)
Post #: 29
RE: The Mist - 3/2/2009 8:41:44 AM   
richCie

the huge monster at the end was jaw-dropping!
no one has mentioned the soundtrack. funnily enough im listening to it now, it's so fitting. superb film, theres a few dodgy bits, but the ending makes up for all of it. brilliant stuff.
really want to see the B&W version...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Vitku)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Mist Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI