Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Homer's Top 100 - FINISHED!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Homer's Top 100 - FINISHED! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Homer's Top 100 - FINISHED! - 12/5/2008 11:58:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Thought I'd get this thread in now, just to commit myself to doing it. End of next week, once my exams are out of the way, I will be starting this. I'm starting right after the exams because, like Piles, I fully intend to finish this list. It has changed quite a bit since I did a 130 rushed list last year as I've watched a fair few films since then. While the #1 slot will be no surprise to anyone who has read, well, any of my posts really, I hope the journey from #100 to #2 will be interesting. I'll tell you now that there is a predominance of 80s and 90s films. These are the films I enjoyed at what is generally called the formative years, and their impact has remained with me at a level of enjoyment and of appreciation. There are a few surprises in there, and a few more obvious choices.

After each ten films, I'll be doing a countdown of the top 25 films of the last five years. The reason is because I don't include films from the last five years so I can get perspective on them over time. Some of the films in this mini-list of 25 will, I am sure, move to my top 100 over time. These will be shorter reviews than the main list, but will provide some variety, I hope.

Finally, I want to say that this is simply a list of my favourite 100 films. I don't claim dominance of these films over any other choice of film. There are some in here that I know are not as technically adept as some that are placed lower. Nevertheless, the place they hold in my heart earns them their place on the list. I hope you all enjoy the list.

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 27/10/2008 1:17:52 AM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 12:03:00 AM   
shawshank prisoner

I'm really looking forward to this. Throughout all the other lists you've shown that you have a very good opinion on films in general so I hope you live up to the expectations

Make sure you get it completed though. There's few things worse than a half-finished top 100 list...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 12:05:11 AM   
TRM

Nice to see your doing a list Homer. Now just to work out how to waste the next 2 weeks until the list starts... Good luck with the exams.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

Post #: 3
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 12:07:05 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Ah geez, there are expectations now? 

Oh, and I fully intend to get it completed. Once I finish my exams, I have the rest of May, June, July and August, during which I have a part-time evening job, and looking after my daughter in the afternoons. I'm sure I can fit it in, along with home improvement and other stuff

I already have the list mapped out - have had so for the last few months, and I've been tweaking it a bit here or there. Adding a film here that I suddenly remember, and dropping a few off that I felt didn't cut the mustard, so to speak. It's just a case of writing the reviews and (where possible) rewatching the films.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 4
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 12:16:25 AM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: shawshank prisoner

I'm really looking forward to this. Throughout all the other lists you've shown that you have a very good opinion on films in general so I hope you live up to the expectations

Make sure you get it completed though. There's few things worse than a half-finished top 100 list...

A half completed top 50 list perhaps?

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 5
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 4:29:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Another list to keep an eye on!

I'm certainly looking forward to this, you always write excellent reviews and we seem to, at times anyway, share similar tastes.

Not sure about the 5 year exclusion clause though. As you seem to indicate, there will be films in this list that you have seen relatively recently, perhaps a great deal more recently than films that won't be listed. Should not a film you saw last year for the first time that was made 50 years ago fall under the same rules as a film made last year?  The only difference is that one has stood (or perhaps not, depending on the choice) the test of time, but this shouldn't really be a factor anyway in a personal list.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 6
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 8:02:59 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Excluding newer films has been a source of contention elsewhere (see the hall of fame, for instance!) but whether a film can stand the test of time is part of its appeal. I can see what you mean about older films more recently watched coming under the same exclusion, but I dunno, it just seems different to me. There's a caché attached to older films that, whether I like it or not, I can't extricate from the viewing experience. That being said, just because a film is old and an undisputed classic, doesn't mean I am automatically predisposed to like it. For instance, just look at The Searchers!  There are, I admit, a couple of recent films for which I would make a possible exception, but I get to write about them by doing a modern classics mini-list.

The other more prosaic reason for limiting the brand spanking new films is simply because there is already a heavy leaning towards much newer films, and as well as being a top 100, I want it to be representative of the eclectic nature of my film tastes. There is, naturally, an element of selection in the process. While the top 20 to 30 is pretty much set, the rest could change (and probably will) depending on my mood. Nevertheless, once I start it, I'll stick to the list as is until it's finished.

Glad there's interest anyway!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 7
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 10:32:34 AM   
gene bradley

In the couple of months i've been on the forum i've noticed you're very knowledgable on all things filmic, i'm looking forward to this.

oh,and good luck with the exams

"I don't use any particular method. I'm from
the lets pretend school of acting."
Harrison Ford

"Children may well enjoy its simple-mindedness,
untroubled by the fact that it looks so shoddy
and so uninventive."

Post #: 8
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 11:28:35 AM   
swordsandsandals

There's a strong possibility I'll have an empty summer (unconfirmed as of yet) so I will look forward to each post cause I'll have nothing else to do (I may even do one myself). I'm hoping I'll have seen a lot more of the films you put in this time, as I'm now a bit more knowledgable, and I'm about to get into some Kurosawa. So I look forward to the list.

What about There Will Be Blood, and other films from the last five years. The impression I get is that it is an instant classic, and really is a masterpiece. Would that not then deserve a place in the list, amongst other new films with similar accolades.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to gene bradley)
Post #: 9
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 12:14:47 PM   
Piles

Will have to keep an eye on this. And your modern classic list sounds like an excellent plan... I kind of wish I'd have thought of it .

Good luck with your exams, too, Homer!

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 10
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 1:42:50 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

What about There Will Be Blood, and other films from the last five years. The impression I get is that it is an instant classic, and really is a masterpiece. Would that not then deserve a place in the list, amongst other new films with similar accolades.

Yeah, homer, I'd expect you to have TWBB in your top 100, seeing how much you have praised it.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

Post #: 11
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 2:07:15 PM   
PB~!

I'm really excited about this Homer, I'm also doin my top 100 once exams get put of the way, and I've written about ten of my reviews so far, it's a great way to take a revision break!  I like your idea of not doing recent films, but I like them too much to do that.  Ah well.  I can't wait, make sure you finish it!

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 12
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 2:20:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

Yeah, homer, I'd expect you to have TWBB in your top 100, seeing how much you have praised it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
There are, I admit, a couple of recent films for which I would make a possible exception, but I get to write about them by doing a modern classics mini-list.

I'll admit now that There Will Be Blood is one of the ones I'd consider making an exception, but it's simply because of my absolute praise for it that I want to leave it, and put it somewhere in the mini-list. My initial reaction can vary quite a lot with new films - Fight Club, for instance, I disliked the first couple of times I watched it, but over time has grown on me. Even with some of the older films I watched recently it wasn't a case of them immediately going into the top 100 after I'd watched them. Over a period of consideration they gradually crept up in my estimation.

Anyway, I'm not going to mention any other films or you'll all know what's in the lists before I post them! This gives me something specific to look forward to after my exams anyway. Y'know, other than the completion of the exams, and therefore, of my degree! Woohoo!

Edit: And thanks for the messages of good luck!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 13
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 2:47:05 PM   
paul_ie86

Good luck Homer. From looking at your posts, you seem to know your stuff. I eagarly await your list

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 14
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 3:01:41 PM   
doncopey1

I cant wait Homer always look forward to a new list this should be great!

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 15
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 13/5/2008 4:59:01 PM   
richCie

looks like once this exam period os over we're going to have an influx of new lists...can't wait :)
your idea of the modern classics list is a nice one, and it also serves to break up your main list nicely.
and i'm gonna wish good luck to everyone sitting exams :)

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 16
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 18/5/2008 9:27:38 PM   
adamdavidsmith

I will very much look forward to this, love lists like these. Commendation must be given to you for a fine introduction, good luck!

Post #: 17
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 18/5/2008 9:29:51 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

quote:

There are, I admit, a couple of recent films for which I would make a possible exception, but I get to write about them by doing a modern classics mini-list.

I'll admit now that There Will Be Blood is one of the ones I'd consider making an exception, but it's simply because of my absolute praise for it that I want to leave it, and put it somewhere in the mini-list. My initial reaction can vary quite a lot with new films - Fight Club, for instance, I disliked the first couple of times I watched it, but over time has grown on me. Even with some of the older films I watched recently it wasn't a case of them immediately going into the top 100 after I'd watched them. Over a period of consideration they gradually crept up in my estimation.

Anyway, I'm not going to mention any other films or you'll all know what's in the lists before I post them! This gives me something specific to look forward to after my exams anyway. Y'know, other than the completion of the exams, and therefore, of my degree! Woohoo!

Edit: And thanks for the messages of good luck!

You've probably mentioned already, but what degree are you working towards!

Post #: 18
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 18/5/2008 9:32:06 PM   
Deviation

Ohhhhhhhhh, I can't wait for this, this is bound to be a great list. I expect Beowulf and Speed Racer to be in the Top 10 right?

Ishould do one, but I know no one will care........................... Damn it, I'm doing one!!!!!!!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 19
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 18/5/2008 11:20:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Ohhhhhhhhh, I can't wait for this, this is bound to be a great list. I expect Beowulf and Speed Racer to be in the Top 10 right?

Ishould do one, but I know no one will care........................... Damn it, I'm doing one!!!!!!!!!

OMG! Like, totally! How the hell did you know?!

(Mind you I'm glad my scathing reviews are memorable! )

Adam, it's an English degree. Four exams and I'm finished!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 20
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 18/5/2008 11:29:42 PM   
directorscut

Top Five:

5.) Paint Your Wagon
4.) Lethal Weapon 2
3.) The Bus That Could Not Slow Down
2.) The Erotic Adventure of Hercules
1.) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (remake)

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 21
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 8:12:54 AM   
homersimpson_esq

This is getting freaky now. How do you people know my top films?!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 22
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 12:32:21 PM   
Deviation

And don't forget Matrix Revolutions, a while you said Blade Runner sucks compared to it.......................Oh, and whjat possibility is there for Blade Runner to make the list, very little I say..............

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 23
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 1:03:16 PM   
Heskin Radiophonic

I'm guessing Bullseye is at number two.

Heskin Radiophonic - Wait For No Man
new ep free download

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 24
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 2:04:46 PM   
gene bradley

The way this threads going we'll be on the 2nd page before Homer's even STARTED his list

Would that be a first ?

"I don't use any particular method. I'm from
the lets pretend school of acting."
Harrison Ford

"Children may well enjoy its simple-mindedness,
untroubled by the fact that it looks so shoddy
and so uninventive."

(in reply to Heskin Radiophonic)
Post #: 25
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 5:12:01 PM   
swordsandsandals

I wold write my list after exams as well, but to be quite honest, most of my top films of the noughties would appear in the list anyway, so it'd be pretty pointless. I'm gonna wait till after summer I think, when I won't have homework.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to gene bradley)
Post #: 26
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 5:14:45 PM   
Manchurian candidate

I'll post my list here:

1- Badlands.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 27
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 6:15:01 PM   
homersimpson_esq

That's a mighty fine list there, MC, but it's a bit predictable. Only a little, tho.

And, Gene, to answer your question, I'm sure there was a list last year that was on page 2 before it started. Only a few days (and 6 hours of exams) left to go!

I know what you mean Swords - I won't do a 'top films of the 90s' for similar reasons! I'm also getting a little hesitant including films on your Alphabet list as it's giving away films in my top 100! (Although I'll say now that I don't have a film for every letter of the alphabet in my top 100!)

What I will say is that it's a list that isn't necessarily what I level-headedly think are 'the best', but they're the ones that have made the biggest impact on me in some way, at some time in my life.

Oh, and after some thought, to answer an earlier query - old films viewed recently haven't, on the whole, made it on to the list - with a few significant exceptions where they have made a massive impact.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 28
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 6:29:11 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

I know what you mean Swords - I won't do a 'top films of the 90s' for similar reasons! I'm also getting a little hesitant including films on your Alphabet list as it's giving away films in my top 100! (Although I'll say now that I don't have a film for every letter of the alphabet in my top 100!)

Keep it up, it won't give too much away. Unless of course you vote for Blade Runner over Back to the Future, which would of course, be ludicrous!.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 29
RE: Homer's Top 100 Films - COMING SOON! - 19/5/2008 11:34:57 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manchurian candidate

I'll post my list here:

1- Badlands.

That's a great list. It lacks Brazil though.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Homer's Top 100 - FINISHED! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI