Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Worst Idea Ever

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Worst Idea Ever Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worst Idea Ever - 9/5/2008 7:26:54 PM   
spate42

You might as well attach Ben Affelek to this film
Donnie Darko is my #1 favorite movie, and this movie is going to kill it...
wow...that is all i have to say...

oh and stupid

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Worst Idea Ever - 9/5/2008 7:31:59 PM   
kinge247

I'm so angry i've shit myself!  I'm off to clean up, highjack a plane and fly it into Hollywood.  (Contraversial I know)

(in reply to spate42)
Post #: 62
- 9/5/2008 7:48:05 PM   
Bezerker

oh dear me

Post #: 63
Selling Out Big Time! - 9/5/2008 8:02:26 PM   
timmy_larouge

I thought the original was a very clever story and cant believe they want to risk damaging its reputation!

I think i may have to read the review of the finished film before i go anywhere near it!

Post #: 64
RE: Donnie Darko Sequel On The Way - 9/5/2008 8:03:51 PM   
adambatman82

this is the single worst news item iv ever read, not only on empireonline, but on the internet. this is, simply put, fucking stupid. it sounds like one of those awful cash-in dvd sequels.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 65
Letter to Fox - 9/5/2008 8:35:37 PM   
mosephland

Hi..i wrote a comment earlier and I am also pissed. I decided to senda letter/e-mail to Fox studios (since they are know the new rights owners of the film). I know i'm a dreamer and that it will not in a million years stop the production of this sequel but I thought I would give it a try you know...so at least someone knows where the fans stand on this issue. I doubt it will change much but our voices should be heard on this issue. So this is what I got..any thoughts or insults you want me to add in (I wanted to be civil but I was pissed so I created a very contradicting image):

This is the letter of a devoted and loyal ‘Donnie Darko’ fan. This is the voice of a fan who wishes to speak on behalf of many others but I will mainly speak for myself, as a filmgoer and lover.
‘Donnie Darko’ is by far my favorite film. This may sound childish and amateur but like I already stated earlier, I am a fan of the movie. I feel that the movie is touching, powerful and really one of the most brilliant and artistic pieces of film ever made. Its balance between fantasy and realism, its contrast of characters and formation of an atmosphere that would force our protagonist into alienation is truly remarkable. Rarely has there been such a solid and powerful mixture of teenage angst and confusion with the feeling of extreme openness where one leaves familiar territory and journeys into the abyss, the bizarre. To me, the film was a revelation. Its final destination was perfect. But now there is talk of the sequel ‘S. Darko’ and as a fan I am concerned.
Before I introduce my concerns and give justifications as to why I think the way I do, I want to make it very clear here that in this letter I will not be questioning filmmaker’s skill or artistry (be they the director, actors or screenplay writers). I do not doubt that Mr. Chris Fincher is a capable director. I also do not doubt the casted actors’ ability to act.
This is not the case a

Post #: 66
Letter to Fox - 9/5/2008 8:39:18 PM   
mosephland

This is not the case at all.
Forgive me here for stating the obvious but ‘Donnie Darko’, as you are most certainly aware, is considered to be a cult classic. The term used is classic. ‘The Godfather’ is a classic but in the sense that a plot could be carried on with. Yet, Richard Kelly’s masterpiece ended so that each individual could create their own interpretation. The film ended in a way that the idea of a sequel is not only completely unnecessary but also utterly ludicrous and preposterous. There is no need to re-make or lengthen a classic, for if it truly is a classic then it will be remembered for what it is and I would like to think that if this film was to be remembered many years from now, it will be remembered for its greatness. Currently, I feel that this legacy will perish and is now being treated unfavorably.
I realize that I alone cannot convince you t stop the production of a film. Again, your knowledge of cinema far exceeds mine. However, I finished ‘Donnie Darko’ feeling at ease because I felt that I had finally found a movie that really clicked in my mind. It was truly the closest thing to perfection. And there is no need trample upon perfection by editing it for no reason. Again, I am but a mere fan. But I speak for all fans when I say that I do not believe that this planned sequel is a good idea at all. As a matter of fact, it is the epitome of a mistake. Why? Because it will add nothing to a classic.
Again, I do not doubt Mr. Fincher’s directorial skill. However, he admitted it himself that he hopes to “create a similar world of blurred fantasy and reality” that Mr. Kelly formed in the original film. This is evidence of the first mistake. Donnie Darko is known for its originality, and for the critics out there, at the very least for its handling of the concepts at hand. Mr. Fincher will ruin this by no longer uses innovative ideas for the project but by creating a copy of the original, something that he hopes would compare to Mr. Kelly’s work. It is admittance that the new film will definitely not have the incredible feel and atmosphere of the original; and if it does, it will easily be seen as a cheap clone to us fans.
Furthermore, this is a reference to the plot of ‘S. Darko’. These terrible visions that Samantha will now undergo cannot (even without seeing the film) possibly be as psychologically enduring and disturbing as the appearance of Frank in the original. Consider this for a moment: if in this new film Frank is included then any value or merit for originality would be utterly discarded; on the other hand, if Frank is not utilized in the film then there would be a higher probability that the disturbed atmosphere of ‘Donnie Darko’ will not be present in ‘S. Darko’. With either scenario the film can easily come of as a B class horror movie which is truly not what the movie is about. At all. Furthermore, the premise in which Samantha is on a road trip does make it sound even more like a reasonably unreasonable horror picture with supernatural visions of terror. Moreover, it is clear that a decision has been made to move the setting away from Middlesex. This is fine if you can find a suitable replacement; however, the setting of the original is vital for Donnie lived in a world of black and white with everything only listed under two categories. This intensified Donnie’s complexity. Again this is stating the obvious, but if Samantha is not as intriguing as Donnie, then I sincerely doubt that I’ll even bother to watch.
What I gather so far from this project is an unusual paradox: it is as though, as Fincher says, you are trying to create the original’s blurred mixture of fantasy and realism without actually using the atmosphere of the original. I know that a new interpretation of the film should be made but isn’t this a bit awkward and really rather silly?
You, and realize by now I’m taking to the studio, may think that we want a Darko sequel; what is most likely is that following the increasing interest in this cult classic you thought you could make some money off of it. It could be both reasons. The bottom line is that WE DON’T want another Darko movie. We want to enjoy it how it was before. To remember it as it was. A classic; but also as one of the greatest films of all time, perfect the way it was, with no need for extension.
Don’t believe me? Check the blogs and comments:
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/09/donnie-darko-sequel-coming-unfortunately/
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44826
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22541
I appointed myself as a fan speaking on behalf of all fans of the movie. Perhaps, I’m completely misguided, wrong and too outspoken. But since it seems that I am not the only one who thinks like this, I believe that I have some justification to what I am trying to express. I ask you to reconsider the filming of this project. I realize that production is close but remember that by making this film you would have potentially ruined a great movie but most definitely, even if the movie turns out to be good, this new film has shaken and destroyed the faith of once devoted fans.
Mohamed Faramawy
Istanbul, Turkey
May 9, 2008

P.S. ‘S. Darko’ is a horrible title; at least compared to the original.

< Message edited by mosephland -- 9/5/2008 8:45:09 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: - 9/5/2008 8:52:14 PM   
Bowl of Wrong

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg Andrew

"We don't even remember what Samantha did." Empire come on, she was in Sparkle Motion (lead dancer if i'm not mistaken) and she enquired what a fuckass was, thats what she did empire thats what she did. lol

Greg Andrew, I can't take seeing your posts anymore... your avatar is turning me on too much.

"Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless: I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders, or blacks, for example. If you're one of those, my advice is to leave well alone."

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 68
WTF?! - 9/5/2008 10:29:28 PM   
mk269

All i have to say is WHY?!

Post #: 69
- 9/5/2008 11:19:11 PM   
mozzy_gal

Okay the first one was creepy and freaky enough. We really don't need another one. Just leave it as it is....please!

Post #: 70
RE: - 10/5/2008 1:01:53 AM   
Deviation

Many poeple here know I defend Donnie Darko with my life here, so....................

WHY?
WHYY??
WHYYY???
WHYYYY????

BLOODY BASTARDS!!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to mozzy_gal)
Post #: 71
i am officially depressed by this news - 10/5/2008 11:06:21 AM   
Ash_G

this is going to be absolutely awful. i can amagine them calling it something like "donnie darker". aargh! please god! has this girl even starred in another film since donnie darko? utter shite! what has hollywood come to??

Post #: 72
RE: Worst Idea Ever - 10/5/2008 11:12:24 AM   
boybooshka

For goodness sake you bunch of cry babies, get over it!!  Of course it's a stupid idea, motivated by the chance of making some cash, but since when has the film industry been run as a charity whose only goal is to create great art?

If you don't want to watch it then don't.

(in reply to spate42)
Post #: 73
Idea for the poster - 10/5/2008 12:23:21 PM   
jcthefirst

Go all Ghostbusters 2 with it. except have Frank the Bunny give us a two fingered salute instead.

"You thought it was over? So did we."

Post #: 74
Yeah, uhm... - 10/5/2008 12:28:53 PM   
moviemaniac-7

There is a parallel universe where this might be a good idea. There is also a parallel where Bill Hicks is still alive and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a box office smash. This is not that universe. Terrible idea to make a follow-up to this one. Unless... it is actually good...

Post #: 75
- 10/5/2008 1:19:25 PM   
Rogue

What a tramp of an idea!

Post #: 76
A mistake - 10/5/2008 4:37:45 PM   
xfrecklesx

Well like so many others here I agree with the whole Donnie Darko 2 being a bad idea. Not that I didn't enjoy the first DD film but it was one of its kind, and in my opinion one of many films that should just be left as a legend on its shelf and not have to be dragged down by a pointless sequel. However saying that, I shall be going to see this film if it comes out in cinemas anyway just to see if my view is wrong :)

Post #: 77
- 10/5/2008 5:23:08 PM   
stayduft

The first was shit anyway, so who cares.

Post #: 78
donne darko - 10/5/2008 5:41:46 PM   
kermit31

no way thats crap how dare they mess with a classic movie here lostboys 2 outas well leve therse films be

Post #: 79
- 11/5/2008 3:58:36 AM   
Heavenlycreature

One word. Nonsense.

Post #: 80
oh dear god......... - 11/5/2008 11:56:38 AM   
Part-Timer

This stinks of dtv sequel by association - anyone see American Psycho 2? I hear Titanic 2: Voyage of the Damned is up next, starring Casper van Dien and directed by the tea boy who worked on Ghost Ship.

Post #: 81
Richard Kelly Comments on Sequel - 11/5/2008 12:04:13 PM   
anonymousm

I sent him a message on myspace about the sequel and he replied:

"Also... the main evil mastermind behind S. Darko is a producer named Adam Fields. He had a credit on the first film but was not involved (because no one could tolerate his psychotic behavior) so he hates us, has been trying to sue us, and this is his "revenge".

Post #: 82
no - 11/5/2008 6:04:38 PM   
harperbird

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sequel

Post #: 83
RE: no - 12/5/2008 10:47:48 AM   
DavidB6937

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13535888811

I know a FB group isn't going to change much but I thought I'd give fans the opportunity to voice their opinions together in one place :)

(in reply to harperbird)
Post #: 84
RE: Donnie Darko Sequel On The Way - 12/5/2008 11:34:52 AM   
Workshed

This stinks of American Psycho 2.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 85
- 12/5/2008 12:25:53 PM   
waltham1979

I know its old news, and ive already posted twice but its Monday and I just had to say again this is a shit idea and the 11 friends who I ranted at when I was pissed at a Bar-BQ on Saturday night agree !!

Post #: 86
RE: RE: - 12/5/2008 1:04:29 PM   
Greg Andrew

Why thankyou. lol

Hey man this is a private residence!

Who the f**k are the Knutsens?

www.hingwayfilms.co.uk

http://www.indiegogo.com/the-consultant

(in reply to Bowl of Wrong)
Post #: 87
Best sequel since American Psycho 2 - 12/5/2008 4:03:29 PM   
lisamoorish

...or your money back.

Post #: 88
RE: Donnie Darko Sequel On The Way - 14/5/2008 12:11:35 PM   
ghostwritten

This is insane, the type of thing that makes me uite unfairly lose hope in the whole movie industry  why why why?! from the plot description it clearly has nothing to do with the original.  And any attempt they make to explain why they are having the visions will only ruin everyone's own theories about the original film. who do they think are going to watch this? fans of the original will (hopefully) boycott it, and any new viewers who get excited by road-trip horror movies will be put off by the fact that its a sequel of a film that requires some brain cells to watch. is their somewhere we can send moaning emails about this?

and if they bring back Frank and taint him with this movie I will DIE, i don't think i could take such blasphemy.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Post #: 89
what??!? - 15/5/2008 7:32:22 PM   
elleisme

wha.. why...why?? just..no..i cant even begin to express how pissed off I am. who actually gave a damn about bloody samantha? Works of genius like Donnie Darko should be left well alone

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Worst Idea Ever Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI