Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Verbinski To Tackle Bioshock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Verbinski To Tackle Bioshock Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Verbinski To Tackle Bioshock - 9/5/2008 8:07:42 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
.... - 9/5/2008 8:07:42 AM   
The Kevmiester

The game is sweet, but not as good as the reviews suggest, the story simply started off good because it was a good idea, it had a dreadful second half and stupid twist half way through so i hope the story is different. And for Gods sake dont have a "team" go down and explore the city, keep it as one man exploring the place.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
This could work - 9/5/2008 8:25:19 AM   
Noelg25

I agree with Kevmiester, do not send a "team" down, that's why Doom was crap. It's a first person shooter game so do please just have the one man go there...I havent fully played the game yet (only played about 15min before crapping my pants from the sound effects on my 5.1 speaker set up. It's so real its unreal!), but I hope to get back onto it very soon.

Gore Verbinski did us proud with POTC films so I can only imagine he will do his best for this one. After all if you can turn a theme park ride into one of the biggest movie franchises ever, the possibilities of this could be even better.

Post #: 3
sceptical... - 9/5/2008 8:49:00 AM   
themanwithnousername

bioshock was no doubt one of the best games of last year, and the first half of the story was brilliant, but im not sure if a film will do it justice.. though the story was one of the better videogame storylines, the first person perspective allowed you to experience everything firsthand, it was immersive, your actions had weight, this is impossible to capture in film because an outcome is predetermined. i dont think that verbinski could pull off the same experience as the game, but there is a lot of potential, no matter what it will be better than the new street fighter film.

Post #: 4
RE: This could work - 9/5/2008 9:17:07 AM   
the ageless stranger

If they can capture the look of the game, that'll be a great start. I loved all three of the POTC films, despite the backlash the sequels seemed to get, so Verbinski seems to be a good choice for this.

Gotta be honest though, I don't know much about the game beyond the first couple of levels. Those Big brother things were just too hard to fight. Go in, fire a few shots, get killed, regenerate, repeat fifteen time until it's dead then find the next one. It just wasn't worth it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.......

Stand And Be True

(in reply to Noelg25)
Post #: 5
"Could this break the curse?" - 9/5/2008 9:34:59 AM   
tallaght24

It fuckin better had! I love this game, as i'm sure millions others do. Verbrinski better pull out all the stops for this one!

Post #: 6
Ohw yeah - 9/5/2008 9:36:11 AM   
Jeehde2

Bioshock is the by far best game I've played for years. If Gore manages to stay true to the 'feeling' of the game, we're in for a treat.

Post #: 7
Could it break the curse? - 9/5/2008 9:39:26 AM   
britesparc

It bloody well better!

BioShock is an amazing game, and it actually has a rock-solid story with a genuine narrative arc and - gasp! - a shocking twist (number two in my list of "shocking game twists", just behind Knights of the Old Republic).  There are several characters besides the hero, which means it won't be a simple one-man-on-a-mission, and the darker elements could serve it well if the script is well written.  One thing I'd do is make Atlas, who's Jack's guide through the game, a supporting character on-screen, helping Jack (in the game he's just a voice over a radio).

Another thing they need to do is keep the darkness, the moral ambiguity, and the violence.  If ever a game adaptation needed an 18 certificate (well, an R as it's American) it's this one.

< Message edited by britesparc -- 9/5/2008 9:43:04 AM >

Post #: 8
Somethings wrong - 9/5/2008 10:49:31 AM   
Ricorodrigeuz

A film based on a game is being made an I am feeling possitive about it?! Providing he gets the games creepy atmosphere and he doesn't make it a PG-13 this is will be on the road to success.

Post #: 9
Somethings wrong - 9/5/2008 10:54:02 AM   
Ricorodrigeuz

A film based on a game is being made an I am feeling possitive about it?! Providing he gets the games creepy atmosphere and he doesn't make it a PG-13 this is will be on the road to success.

Post #: 10
- 9/5/2008 11:00:02 AM   
Manfrendshensindshen

That does sound strangely appealing - oh dear, I said it... I'm looking forward to a videogame adaptation! I must see a doctor.

Post #: 11
Just stop! - 9/5/2008 12:49:18 PM   
Bushman

It's a great game which has already grossed more than the film ever will so, WHY BOTHER?! Also, I know I should give every movie or movie idea the benefit of the doubt before I've seen them but this is a video game adaptation which means it'll have shite written through it like a stick of rock!

Post #: 12
- 9/5/2008 1:05:11 PM   
Yvonne299

My husband spent weeks playing Bioshock and exploring the world that is Rapture and i have to say that i fell in love with the game. The art was specatular, the story orginial and the character's are brilliant especially Atlas and Sander Cohen.
A would like to see it made into a movie and if done right, will make a great film. Go for it Gore!
A scary thought... What if Uwe Boll had gotten his hands on it!

Post #: 13
For Verbinski - 9/5/2008 1:16:46 PM   
Bluehawk

Nooooo, don't mess wi...wait, Gore Verbinski? Ok, ok...maybe it could work. Ssssht, wait with the anger: I know it's easy to diss every game movie ever, but you've got to admit most directors were shite to begin with.
Verbinski is a good director who knows how to lead a big aquatic (!) film. Yeah yeah, diss al you want about Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, but they were Very Entertaining Movies and anyone who disagrees with that is either spoiled, a chronically cranky critic or an Arthouse lover. You need somebody who doesn't fear the produce a big spectacle if you want a good movie out of Bioshock. And Verbinski seems like a gamer, so he might just know what to do (he stole half the cool things in Pirates from the Monkey Island games anyway!).
Just get the set designs right (classic, gloomy, dark, waterleakage), a good lead actor and stick to the story. Might just be fun.

Post #: 14
- 9/5/2008 3:54:23 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

I think Verbinski has the visual talent to make a great looking Bioshock movie, But his grip on storytelling is not so great. I mean seriously what the fuck was Pirates of the Carribean 3 all about?. I'll give this movie a fair go, But for now i'm dubious.

Post #: 15
- 9/5/2008 4:21:24 PM   
waltham1979

personally im waiting for Dizzy Egg: The Movie !!

Post #: 16
Bioshocking - 9/5/2008 7:57:39 PM   
kinge247

No game movie has ever been any good. Verbinski will ruin this like he ruined the 2nd and 3rd Pirates films.  If it wasn't for Jonny Depp they would have been bollocks the size of the moon.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 17
- 9/5/2008 9:28:42 PM   
homesick alien

its must be as graphic as sin.

Post #: 18
RE: Verbinski To Tackle Bioshock - 10/5/2008 12:24:06 PM   
Kazuya

Fantastic game. I'm not particularly interested in seeing it adapted into a live-action film though, and especially not with Verbinski handling the direction.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 19
- 10/5/2008 2:54:28 PM   
jcthefirst

I've only played the demo for this game, and it scared the balls off me. If it remains faithful to the game (which is the phrase always used with any adaptation, I know. Shut up!) it will look fantastic at least. And if they show that bit from the game where you see a shadow of a "woman" looking into a pram, I won't sleep for a week.

And besides, this guy did The Ring and it was alright.

Post #: 20
Mortal Kombat is great movie adaptation ! - 11/5/2008 9:54:45 AM   
Makman

There has only been one good movie adaptation of a video game and that is the 1st Mortal Kombat film (the sequel sucked). The film used the plot from "Enter the Dragon" to create some stunning fight sequences, a great performance from Christopher Lambert and had a sense of humour (one of Paul WS Anderson's decent films).

Post #: 21
studio? - 11/5/2008 6:26:20 PM   
harperbird

anyone no wat studio makin it?

Post #: 22
RE: - 6/6/2008 10:03:35 AM   
10000hz

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

personally im waiting for Dizzy Egg: The Movie !!

Dizzy Egg!!!

But yeh, done right, this could be awesome.

Right, ok...

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 23
BioSchlock - 9/6/2008 12:29:31 PM   
Jack'sSmirkinRevenge

Unfortunately, I feel this is doomed. I absolutely love the game and it could be an incredible film, but Verbinski's directing. This film needed someone with some style, class and balls, who can tell a complex story clearly, whilst giving us some full on frights, action and, dare I say it, gore, not the director of Mousehunt. Special effects aside, the POTC trilogy were mediocre family films, saved only by Johnny Depp doing an impression of Keith Richards. I really hope I'm wrong, but it seems as if this has PG13 and 3 stars, at best, written all over it. And if it does, Verbinski, watch your back!

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Verbinski To Tackle Bioshock Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI