Dennis Lehane

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Dennis Lehane Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dennis Lehane - 7/5/2008 1:56:40 PM   
Harley Quinn

I'm finally getting around to reading Gone Baby Gone. But I think I'm reading the  Kenzie & Gennaro books out of sequence I've read a drink before the war as well.

What order should I be reading the books in?

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 1
RE: Dennis Lehane - 7/5/2008 2:21:05 PM   
Woger

A Drink before the War; Darkness take my hand; Sacred; Gone, Baby Gone and Prayers for Rain. Gone, Baby Gone refers to events in the other books in a spoiler type way. Try amazon, I got the first two books in a two in one deal.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 2
RE: Dennis Lehane - 7/5/2008 2:23:13 PM   
Harley Quinn

I've got darkness take my hand as well. I hate reading books in the wrong order.

Thanks!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3
RE: Dennis Lehane - 7/5/2008 2:30:57 PM   
Woger

Try to read Darkness take my Hand before Gone, Baby Gone. It reveals a few things about Darkness Take my Hand.

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 4
RE: Dennis Lehane - 7/5/2008 3:24:08 PM   
Harley Quinn

I'm half way through Gone baby gone now. It's given away quite a lot of Darkeness take my hand.

Will start reading Darkness when I get home.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 5
RE: Dennis Lehane - 9/5/2008 11:36:48 AM   
Harley Quinn

Well I read gone, baby gone and rather wish I hadn't thought the book was fantastic but the ending was just so sad. I don't think that's the right word but the idea that the law and what's right aren't always the same, gave me some food for thought and stayed with me for a while.

Post #: 6
RE: Dennis Lehane - 9/5/2008 5:10:21 PM   
Woger

It's a connundrum alright, to be honest I think the film handled it a bit better.

- - -

Post #: 7
RE: Dennis Lehane - 12/5/2008 9:46:58 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

It's a connundrum alright, to be honest I think the film handled it a bit better.

I'll have to watch the film, not sure about Casey Affleck as Patrick (in my head his blonde). 

I think the fact that for Patrick doing the legal thing cost him alot, and that's what is staying with me. That and some people should never be allowed to have children.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 8
RE: Dennis Lehane - 12/5/2008 12:06:19 PM   
HIroProtagonist

Dennis Lehane is an absolutely brilliant, brilliant writer. He was recommended to me over in the Crime Fiction Thread, and I've loved everyting that he's read. I'd agree with everyone else, in that you should try and read the Kenzie & Gennaro books in sequence, but I suppose it isn't the end of the world if you don't

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

I'll have to watch the film, not sure about Casey Affleck as Patrick (in my head his blonde). 

I think the fact that for Patrick doing the legal thing cost him alot, and that's what is staying with me. That and some people should never be allowed to have children.

I don't picture Patrick as a blonde, but at the same time I don't exactly picture Casey Affleck  as Patrick (Ben, at a push I could work with) - truth be told I think he looks a little to like Dennis Lehane. That said, he's a good actor, and the film is supposed to be quite good, so come next month I guess I'll be able to find out (when it's released over here). I actually started reading Shuttle Island on Sunday, hoping to have it finished later on today / tomorrow - it's different in tone from the Kenzie & Gennaro series, but so far it's pretty darn interesting - should make for an interesting film.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 9
RE: Dennis Lehane - 12/5/2008 1:17:07 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIroProtagonist

Dennis Lehane is an absolutely brilliant, brilliant writer. He was recommended to me over in the Crime Fiction Thread, and I've loved everyting that he's read. I'd agree with everyone else, in that you should try and read the Kenzie & Gennaro books in sequence, but I suppose it isn't the end of the world if you don't

I've read a drink before the war, mystic river and bought darkness take my hand and gone,baby gone to read but for some reason they just stayed on the shelf.  I do love his books. I do try and read series of books in sequance not just for spoilers of previous books but for charcter development and bits of back story.

quote:

I don't picture Patrick as a blonde, but at the same time I don't exactly picture Casey Affleck  as Patrick (Ben, at a push I could work with) - truth be told I think he looks a little to like Dennis Lehane. That said, he's a good actor, and the film is supposed to be quite good, so come next month I guess I'll be able to find out (when it's released over here). I actually started reading Shuttle Island on Sunday, hoping to have it finished later on today / tomorrow - it's different in tone from the Kenzie & Gennaro series, but so far it's pretty darn interesting - should make for an interesting film.

I think I could cope with Ben Affleck as Patrick as well if forced. but I also find Casey Affleck cold I dont really like him in anything I've seen which truthfuly isint a lot.  my mental picture of Patrick is based on Sean Patrick Flanerry (strange I know).

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 10
RE: Dennis Lehane - 15/5/2008 10:20:34 PM   
Woger

Casey Affleck is very good in the role, a bit young but I'd say you'll be happy enough with it.

- - -

Post #: 11
RE: Dennis Lehane - 15/9/2010 8:38:05 AM   
JV

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIroProtagonist
 I actually started reading Shuttle Island on Sunday

I have read quite a few now. Read Mystic River years ago before the film came out and loved it, then read Shutter Island. Not being Kenzie & Gennaro they are a little different. Me & my sis watched the film of Mystic River the other week (she is into Lehane as well) and I spotted that the bar in it is The Black Emerald, which is also in Darkness, Take My Hand.

For some reason I thought Sacred came after Gone, Baby, Gone, but never mind. I haven't read it yet.

I have been gradually reading the Kenzie & Gennaro thrillers this past year and think they just got better and better. In the beginning I thought Dennis Lehane was just great at telling a story but that the story itself wasn't anything special (A Drink Before The War, I guess), but I was completely sucked into Darkness, Take My Hand and the same with Gone, Baby, Gone (which I finished on Sunday).

I saw the film for Gone, Baby, Gone a couple of years ago and couldn't really remember much about it except the ending so I still got completely hooked by the book and couldn't remember all the ins and outs. I don't necessarily picture Casey Affleck as Kenzie but in my head Michelle Monaghan is Gennaro. Ben Affleck did a great job with the film, a really great job. I think the films of both Mystic River and Gone, Baby, Gone were brilliant; I haven't seen Shutter Island though (and I'm not bothered about doing so).

Dennis Lehane is brilliant, I just love the way he writes. My sister has his latest novel, I think it's called The Given Day. I'll be reading that as soon as I can get my hands on it.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

Post #: 12
RE: Dennis Lehane - 7/10/2010 9:52:45 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Lehane is the business alright.

I read Any Given Day on hols a few weeks ago. It's a very "big" book, touching on certain themes which tend to come up in a lot of his stuff but in essence it's actually quite a small family story but played out against a back drop of disease, war, racism, prohibition, the realisation of a man's personal worth and the changing face of America. At times he strives a little too hard to write "The Great American Novel", he is never going to write like a Franzen for example (nor would I want him to) and at times I found myself thinking that he is writing this for a HBO mini-series.

I don't want to sound over critical as it is still an excellent read and pisses over most of contempories but it doesn't sit as easily as, say Mystic River which will go down as his masterpiece (to date)

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 13
RE: Dennis Lehane - 7/10/2010 10:01:24 PM   
Woger

Next one coming out in the Kenzie/Genaro series. i wasn't mad about Prayers for Rain and the character Bubba in general, comes off a bit cheesy to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_Mile_(novel)

- - -

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 14
RE: Dennis Lehane - 10/10/2010 9:54:23 PM   
dh_19

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I read The Given Day... I don't want to sound over critical as it is still an excellent read and pisses over most of contempories but it doesn't sit as easily as, say Mystic River which will go down as his masterpiece (to date)

Mystic River is fantastic. I think I enjoyed The Given Day more than you though. I read that Sam Raimi has the movie rights, which doesn't seem the most obvious material to attract him.

I'm not a massive fan of the Kenzie/Gennaro series, but since Gone Baby Gone is my favourite and the fact that he's a better writer now, i'll no doubt pick up a copy of Moonlight Mile on release.

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 15
RE: Dennis Lehane - 20/2/2011 11:26:58 AM   
HIroProtagonist

Part of my 2011 reading list includes re-reading all of the Kenzie / Genaro books, as well as reading Lehanes two latest books (The Given Day, Moonlight Mile) which are new to me.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 16
RE: Dennis Lehane - 5/3/2011 3:22:29 PM   
Harley Quinn

I couldn't finish Shutter Island for some reason, just found it really hard going. I will pick it up at a later date and try again.

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Dennis Lehane Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI