Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

War & Peace. Best translation?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> War & Peace. Best translation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War & Peace. Best translation? - 4/5/2008 12:43:04 PM   
Manchurian candidate

I need a new book to read, and the one currently in my mind was War & Peace. However, a large number of translations seem to be around, and I was wondering which versions anyone here would recommend.

Your thoughts on the book would also be very welcome.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb
Post #: 1
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 4/5/2008 4:16:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Dear Lord, you mean you haven't read War & Peace?! You should be ashamed of yourself Mr Candidate! *shakes head sorrowfully*

(For the record, I haven't read it either.)

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 2
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 4/5/2008 4:40:35 PM   
Manchurian candidate

You should read Ulysses.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 3
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 5/5/2008 10:06:26 AM   
Movieman Tom

Manchurian Candidate

Kate Bush, Badlands and now Ulysses.

Damn, your obsessed!

I believe my life should be made into a movie; now, who to direct it......

Post #: 4
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 1:49:44 PM   
Olaf

In answer to your question MC, go with the 1978 revised edition, or the 1923 Maude translation. Though I've heard of a more recent English translation of Tolstoy's original draft, 400 pages shorter though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 5
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 2:28:24 PM   
Helen OHara

I can't comment on the merits of the individual translations, but I bought a cheap-ass Penguin Classics edition and that was fine, seemed to make sense and all that. For the book itself, it felt kinda like a soap opera with extra farming and a soupcon of Napoleonic strife. So The Archers meets Sharpe, you might say. But all good an' literary and such.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 2:58:25 PM   
elab49

I think most people buy one copy and don't really try other translations - unless they teach English or study it!

Where you do have to make the choice though is between the 1500 page normal version and the new and improved 'shorter' version - either 600 pages total or 600 pages less, I can't remember which. I wouldn't read it though - not qualified to judge on the academic arguments but I think someone would have noticed a long time before if it wasn't the 'real' version so unfinished version sounds about right.

I did hear someone advise someone once that the best thing to do is search online - you can find most versions of it there and read a chapter or 2 and see if there is one your prefer?

Mine is Edmonds. I tried our Uni library online and the Maude translation still seems popular (and their Karenina is used for the Folio Soc version).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 7
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 3:15:18 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I haven't read their version of the book, but I have read translations by Larissa Volokhonsky and Richard Pevear before - Dostoyevsky's The Idiot, Bulgakov's The Master And Margarita - and they were very good. I think their version of War & Peace was just published last year, they already have a translation of Anna Karenina published as well by Penguin.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 4:21:17 PM   
elab49

Isn't that the one that sparked the war of words over the 'short' version as both were published about the same time?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 9
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 4:40:14 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Ended up getting this version: http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/vintage/vintageclassics/title.htm?command=Search&db=/catalog/main.txt&eqisbndata=0099512238 I think it's the Larissa Volokhonsky and Richard Pevear one.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 6/5/2008 4:44:39 PM   
Larry of Arabia

It is their version, it was the one involved in a disagreement over the shortening of the novel, as elab49 pointed out.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2007/10/22/tolstoy-translations-rival.html

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 11
RE: War & Peace. Best translation? - 7/5/2008 5:39:22 PM   
Manchurian candidate

It arrived today. A different edition to the one I ordered, and only volume one. So it's essentially useless.

Despite obviously being quite old, it looks nice, so I'll stick it on a bookshelf and find a decent copy.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> War & Peace. Best translation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI