Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 24/7/2009 4:36:45 PM   
losthighway

Well imho, i'd ditch it and buy the one Evil Bill and I are championing above... you really won't be disappointed!

You can get it for about 10 brand new on Amazon marketsellers!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 61
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 24/7/2009 7:23:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Well imho, i'd ditch it and buy the one Evil Bill and I are championing above... you really won't be disappointed!

You can get it for about 10 brand new on Amazon marketsellers!

and it's got great extras.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 62
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 25/7/2009 1:34:46 PM   
AngryDude92

I've found it and may order it sooner or later

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 63
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 25/7/2009 1:49:25 PM   
losthighway

The New York Ripper and Cat in the Brain (2-disc) arrived in the post this morning.

Cat doesn't have the sprakly slipcase but i'm not too fussed.

I do love Blue Underground and Grindhouse Releasing! 

Post #: 64
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 26/7/2009 11:40:00 AM   
evil bill

quote:

The New York Ripper and Cat in the Brain (2-disc) arrived in the post this morning.

Cat doesn't have the sprakly slipcase but i'm not too fussed.

I do love Blue Underground and Grindhouse Releasing! 

Yeah they are great along with Anchor Bay also,what would we do without these guys

Post #: 65
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 27/7/2009 3:55:57 PM   
losthighway

The New York Ripper (aka Daffy Goes Psycho!)

Synopsis  

A burned-out New York police detective teams up with a college psychoanalyst to track down a vicious serial killer randomly stalking and killing various young women around the city.

Thoughts

Visuals by Diagnosis Murder
Soundtrack by Touch of Frost
Killer by WB Cartoons

It's good! Certainly Fulci's most linear work (of those I have seen). I don't think it quite warrants the cult status it has got as like many of the video nasties which eventually surfaced, it doesn't quite live up to its reputation - apart from a couple of the deaths (most notably the broken battle death), this is incredibly tame by today's standards.

The duck voice worked for and against it. On the one hand it added a nice element of comedy yet on the other it was slightly unnuerving to think how fucked up the Ripper must be to use such a voice. The final explanation of why that voice is used is actually pretty decent. Plus have to hand it to Fulci, he had me guessing the killer's identity at least four times and towards the end I got rather excited to think he had opted for a female Ripper... but alas it was not to be!

I should also say I didn't find this film particularly misogynistic - it had some outdated views on a woman's place should be in the home but the death toll was certainly no worse than say Halloween or Friday the 13th.

I'm really pleased I watched it. As a blind buy it doesn't feel a waste of money (definately worth importing as it's blatantly obvious which 34secs has been cut from the current R2 release!) and without a doubt it will sit proudly alongside my other Fulci films.

Overall: 3/5

< Message edited by losthighway -- 27/7/2009 6:31:03 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 66
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 18/8/2009 8:08:00 PM   
evil bill

Professor Robert Miles played by Patrick Magee is a paranormal researcher, who uses his demonic familiar to gorily slaughter those he feels have wronged him.  Nosy American photographer, Jill Travers (Mimsy Farmer) stumbles onto these mysterious deaths in a quaint English village and teams up with Scotland Yard's Inspector Gorley (genre icon David Warbeck) to bring the culprit to justice.  But is Miles in control, or the cat?
The Black Cat isn't a classic but will interest fans of Italian horror.  Edgar Allan Poe's much-adapted short story inspires only the climax, but the bulk of the film is impressively claustrophobic,Fulci as usual does well with the flimsy material, and keeps the the gore level high, plenty of gothic atmosphere, and dark sets all set in England.Very like the early Hammer Horror movies,with rubber bats and a cat that disappears at will,IE a bit silly.Also there's Fulci's fetish for eye balls when in one delirious set-piece where supernatural forces storm Jill's bedroom For the most part, the cast,just look like a bunch of wooden tops lost from some sad soap opera.Overall it is no match for Argento's Two Evil Eyes which was also inspired by Poe,but it's still worth seeing,3/5.

Post #: 67
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 23/8/2009 1:41:41 PM   
Dr Lenera

Not a Fulci classic but still worthwhile,yes it comes across as a Hammer movie but maybe directed by Jess Franco [Vampyers Lesbos and lots of wierd movies],lots of zooming into eyes and stuff! Patrick Magee gives an enjoyably crazy performance which is worth the price of viewing alone!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 68
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 3/9/2009 7:19:37 PM   
evil bill

MANHATTAN BABY 1982

From Lucio Fulci, comes this utterly bizarre descent into a surreal world of creepy kids, Egyptology, flesh tearing birds, walls that bleed, creepy tombs,The story as flimsy as it is concerns a possessed Egyptian amulet,and what looks like a gates to hell and other rip-off moments from a variety of classic genre films including The Exorcist, The Awakening, The Birds, The Omen and most notably Rosemary s Baby.It starts with George Hacker, a scientist who takes his family on vacation to Egypt so he can explore a pyramid. However when his daughter receives an amulet from a mysterious old woman, Hacker goes blind, forcing he and his family to return to New York. Once there, a wave of supernatural destruction begins, caused by an ancient curse Hacker and his family have carried with them. Despite the dubious plotting Fulci was at the height of his powers when he made this highly atmospheric and stunningly shot horror film that makes up in classic set pieces what it lacks in script terms.No, this is not a extreme gory movie, which no doubt comes as a surprise  to fans of Fulci's other  films. Even the death scenes, of which there are only 3 or 4, have minimal blood compared to something like The Beyond.The cheesy effects, plot holes, wooden acting, bad dubbing, and inexplicable motivations of characters are off putting.But there is the pierced eyeball scene his own uniquie stamp,and that nightmare world only the Italians know how to do.So if you fancy some more Fulci then this is one for fans only,and make sure it's the full R1 91 minute version,you can get on Amazon for under a fiver,and for that price it's worth the viewing 3/5.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 69
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 3/9/2009 9:27:12 PM   
losthighway

Yes or No...

Evil Bill, anyone... I'm a fan of Fulci and it sounds a really interesting premise but is it worth the 7 import!??

(Also posted on Weird/Strange thread)

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 70
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 4/9/2009 11:49:38 AM   
evil bill

quote:

Yes or No...

Evil Bill, anyone... I'm a fan of Fulci and it sounds a really interesting premise but is it worth the 7 import!??

(Also posted on Weird/Strange thread)

Give it ago it's one of his better scripted movies.

Post #: 71
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 16/10/2009 12:51:00 PM   
evil bill

A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN arived today i think Dr Lenera recommended this one so i'll let you know what i think of it soon.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 72
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 19/10/2009 12:45:25 PM   
dj vivace

Anyway, House by the Cemetary is definatley one of Fulci's better films. More polished and patient. There's not a lot of gore, but when it does happen, as you would expect, its pretty nasty. Some inventive deaths, with some a little comical, others totalls unexpected (little boy moving away from one side of a locked door as his Dad batters it down from the other side with an axe. Then, suddenly, the killers hand pushes the boys head against the door as Dad swings his axe!) The little boy is a bit annoying, mind. The story is basic, couple move into house, by a cemetary (really!!), and strange things happen. Dad is a doctor, and carries on research of his replacement (won't spoil it saying anythng else). Thats pretty much it for plot, but there is a good amount of tension, also, plenty of that god awful cheesy horror music during tense scenes that totally spoil any scares, the dubbing (as ever!) is horrendous to the point where there were these kids screaming, and i wasn't sure weather it was supposed to be some kind of ghost, or the little boy crying. Its got everything you'd expect, it very good, and its most definately worth a watch, or even a cheap buy
4/5

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 73
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 2/11/2009 7:48:02 PM   
evil bill

This early Giallo-outing by Fulci,  "Lizard In A Woman's Skin (1971) is a very powerful and also a very intense, beautiful and creepy Giallo.That like his works of horror has a surreal and wonderfully uncanny, fever-dream-like atmosphere and a wonderful Florinda Bolkan in the lead.Some think this is his best Giallo film,but for me i would go for Don't Torture a Duckling,which has a stronger plot.The story is about a woman Carol Hammond(Florinda Bolkan) who has quite a bit on her plate at the moment. Her husband is having lots of sex, except it's with other women. A neighbor is a hippy, something Carol finds appalling,and she's tormented by bizarre lesbian dreams about her seductive neighbor (Anita Strindberg) One day, Carol tells a psychotherapist about a dream in which she murders the neighbor. Shortly thereafter, the neighbor is actually murdered, in the exact same manner that Carol has dreamt of,a very bloody death.
Lizard in a Woman's Skin is a Giallo that delivers in almost all regards. It has a convoluted plot which certainly isn't easy to predict or follow at times. The cinematography is great, and the generally creepy, dream-like atmosphere is intensified by another brilliant score composed by maestro himself Ennio Morricone (the orchestra is conducted by another maestro, Bruno Nicolai). The film has a great ensemble-cast, especially the beautiful Florinda Bolkan who is brilliant in the lead.  Anita Strindberg is mysterious and seductive in her role,and the rest of the cast includes prolific character actors you will have seen in Fulci and Argento films. Even though there are only few killings for Giallo-standards, the film has some very gory scenes and genuine shock-sequences. The film is very suspenseful, but, as mentioned above, it is partly a bit confused and has its dull in-between moments that drag the film down. All in all though, this is a very good film, but I personally wouldn't call it Fulci's best. That title doubtlessly goes to the masterpiece Don't Torture A Duckling, but the two films can hardly be compared due to the very different theme, style and setting.Lizard in a Woman's Skin provides a wonderful 70s feeling, with hippie-characters, orgies gore etc. Overall, Lizard in a Woman's Skin is highly recommended to all Giallo-lovers, particularly those who appreciate a psychedelic70's atmosphere.7/10

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 74
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 4/11/2009 3:07:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

Similar thoughts to mine really, overall a very good and interesting Giallo but with a few dull bits. I think Don't Torture A Duckling just edges it too.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 75
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 7/12/2009 11:01:29 AM   
ElephantBoy

Saw my first one of his films on FilmFour the other night, which was The House by the Cemetery, i thought the gore was quite stylish and the film as a whole had a twisted creepy atmosphere, and was well shot.  For my likeing it was a bit horkey and lacked the strong narrtive of Argento's films.  Still a decent introduction to his work.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 76
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 8/12/2009 11:57:08 AM   
The REAL Bozz

This thread inspired me to check this guy out. Of course I'd seen Zombieflesheaters. I love that film. I like Argento so it was a no brainer moving onto Fulci. Picked up three flicks yesterday. The Black Cat. I watched that last night and enjoyed it. What a odd little film, it was funny for the wrong reasons but overall I did enjoy it. Next up I'm gonna check out Manhattan Baby and then after that House By The Cemetary!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 77
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 8/12/2009 11:59:25 AM   
Rob_S

What is Fulci's giallo like? Does it compare well to the best Argento giallo (The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, Opera)?

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 78
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 8/12/2009 11:17:14 PM   
The REAL Bozz

SPOILERS!!

I can't really be of help mate. I have only seen the flicks I mentioned above.

I saw Manhattan Baby and House By The Cemetary today. Both good fun. I gotta say I was rootin for the bad guy in House By The Cemetary. That family had it coming. Shame Bob got away! Lol.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rob_S)
Post #: 79
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 9/12/2009 3:35:52 PM   
ElephantBoy

I've seen quite few of Argento's, but only one Fulci, so i can't really coment at this stage.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 80
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 10/12/2009 7:08:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob_S

What is Fulci's giallo like? Does it compare well to the best Argento giallo (The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, Opera)?

This early Giallo-outing by Fulci is excellent but Don't Torture A Duckling is the better,though less bloody.Reviews are on this thread and WELCOME to you newbes.

(in reply to Rob_S)
Post #: 81
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 11/12/2009 7:01:55 PM   
Rob_S

Cool - thanks for the recommendations.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 82
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 12/12/2009 8:57:01 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob_S

A hard question to answer really, Fulci only made five Gialli [One on Top Of The Other, A Lizard In A Woman's Skin, Don't Torture A Duckling, The New York Ripper, Murderock] and made films in most other genres, while most of Argento's films are Gialli or variations thereof. Because of this Argento was able to perfect the form. It could be said that Argento's Gialli are generally sharper, faster and more stylised cinematically than Fulci's. Perhaps most notably, the portrayal of violence is often different, Argento's is usually quick and more aesthetically beautiful, Fulci's has more dwelling on the gore and stuff and usually tries to look as ugly as possible!

(in reply to Rob_S)
Post #: 83
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 12/12/2009 10:03:21 PM   
Rob_S

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

A hard question to answer really, Fulci only made five Gialli [One on Top Of The Other, A Lizard In A Woman's Skin, Don't Torture A Duckling, The New York Ripper, Murderock] and made films in most other genres, while most of Argento's films are Gialli or variations thereof. Because of this Argento was able to perfect the form. It could be said that Argento's Gialli are generally sharper, faster and more stylised cinematically than Fulci's. Perhaps most notably, the portrayal of violence is often different, Argento's is usually quick and more aesthetically beautiful, Fulci's has more dwelling on the gore and stuff and usually tries to look as ugly as possible!

Good to hear yout thoughts. I can certainly appreciate how both directors differ in their approach to violence.

Fulci tends to dwell on the cruelty and inevitability of the moment - it makes his brand of violence clearly definable: horrific, sadistic and relentless. On the other hand, Argento seems to focus on and savour the build up - the eventual murder is then presented as an act of beauty (probably more mental).

I'll get on with checking out some of Fulci's gialli.

< Message edited by Rob_S -- 12/12/2009 10:05:57 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 84
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 12/1/2010 6:58:26 PM   
evil bill

For those that have Blu Ray players,i see The Beyond and City Of The Dead are getting another release of life,this time on Blu Ray.At the moment only New York Ripper is on Blu Ray here in the UK,still i don't care i have his classics all uncut? and remasterd  on dvd.

(in reply to Rob_S)
Post #: 85
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 14/1/2010 4:05:02 PM   
AngryDude92

People need some more fulci recomendations.

I was thinking along the lines of cat in the brain and Manhatten baby

I'm open to any other surgestions

This man may not be Argento but I think he's magic

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 86
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 15/1/2010 11:18:00 AM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryDude92

People need some more fulci recomendations.

I was thinking along the lines of cat in the brain and Manhatten baby

I'm open to any other surgestions

This man may not be Argento but I think he's magic

Lucio Fulci,  remains as controversial in death as he was in life. As you said he may not be Argento,but he's a gifted craftsman with a wicked sense of dark humor, Fulci achieved some measure of notoriety for his gore epics of the late 1970s and early 1980s, but respect was long in coming,and for me i have him second in linre to the throne of horror king.Argento being only just ahead on visual style,and i mean by a wisker no more than that.As for recomendations there are some fine reviews on this thread of his cult classics all worth a viewing,he also made westrens and dramas before becoming the Godfather of Gore..  .

Post #: 87
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 20/1/2010 8:27:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

Think it is usually best to start off with Zombie [or Zombie Flesh Eaters], it's probably his most popular movie and his least odd. Then move on to the other zombie orientated flicks City Of The Living Dead, The Beyond and House By The Cemetery, they were quite popular but a great deal stranger too, then the Giallos like New York Ripper and Don't torture A Duckling. After that it's a mixed bag, as Bill says he made films in other genres, some are good [such as the historical Drama Beatrice Cenci and the gangster movie The Naples Connection], and some are bloody awful [sadly most all the films he made after the mid 80s!].

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 88
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 24/2/2010 7:25:46 PM   
evil bill

Here'as an excellent review from another Fulci fan HughesRoss,he's doing a horror list of 80's classic's,worth a visit.
 THE NEW YORK RIPPER (1982)

And now we come across the first video nasties, a film that was banned in many countries for its violence and gore, and yet these days it is well known as one of Lucio Fulci's greatest horror fillms.

It is without question one of the decades most brutal and savage of  horrors, fully controversial at the time despite many missing a hint of black rumour running between its veins.   Its infamous for its portrayal of violence and attitute towards women, but then many films in the early parts of the decade had the similar theme.

Yes this pushed the boundaries a bit, Fulci jumping on the "slash bandwagon" and given his own version in the only way he knew how.  Yes its pretty gruesome, there are some scenes of real brute horror on show here, but it does what horror should do, affect the viewers, to make them question the world they are living in.

With Summer of Sam and even Zodiac fresh in the memory of Americans, this sort of touches on real life with a serial killer going around NY, killing young women and taunting the police, just like the two I mentioned.  With the body count rising, the police with help from a psychology professor need to find who is responsible for this mayhem.

The only clue we get is the killers voice, and that is one of the films flaw.  Not because it gives the identity away but the fact that the killer sounds like Donald Duck.  Honestly, even to this day anytime a Looney Toons cartoon comes on, I hope its not Donald as it brings back memories of this film.  Even when watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I half expected Donald to jump up and stab Jessica Rabbit repeatedly in the chest!

While the violence may seem a bit tame these days, it does contain a "razor scene" which even now, is one of Cinema's most horrific moments!

The New York Ripper is one of the infamous banned films, but unlike many that were just pointless, this is one of horror's finest films, if you can stomach the many moments of blood and brutality

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 89
RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. - 13/3/2010 6:27:12 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Presenting the 4-panel artwork for City of the Living Dead, soon to be released on DVD and Blu-ray, courtesy of Arrow:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI