Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Go Go Go

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Go Go Go Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 9:39:24 PM   
sam89

I really don't understand how this film has 'no plot'. It's got just as much plot as, say, Star Wars or Psycho (the first two 'classics' that came to my mind).

I've also noticed that every negative review of this film at some point says "Looks like [insert something colourful here] on acid".

(in reply to smila darcy)
Post #: 181
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 9:58:02 PM   
smila darcy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

I really don't understand how this film has 'no plot'. It's got just as much plot as, say, Star Wars or Psycho (the first two 'classics' that came to my mind).

Oh, please elaborate.  I want to see how you can possibly compare this mess to these two masterpieces. 

How long do we have, twenty minutes and thirty seconds? Let's go!

All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 182
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 10:04:50 PM   
Starscream

quote:

ORIGINAL: Comrade Zutroy

I'll pretty much agree with everything mackey said above.  Not really fussed about seeing it but the girlfriend has to see it for a review show.  Went in not expecting much, just a hyped up kids adventure with lots of colours and a monkey.  But I got so much more than that.  I was thrilled watching it.  The shots are so vivid they just want to reach out and grab you.  Granted, the dialogue ain't up to much and the story gets a bit convoluted along the way but overall it was a bloody enjoyable ride with decent enough characters and some mesmerising visual effects. 

Go, Speed Racer, Go, I guess 

I'm curious what did your Girlfriend think? Mine hated it as you can see above your post

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 183
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 10:17:54 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

quote:

ORIGINAL: Comrade Zutroy

I'll pretty much agree with everything mackey said above.  Not really fussed about seeing it but the girlfriend has to see it for a review show.  Went in not expecting much, just a hyped up kids adventure with lots of colours and a monkey.  But I got so much more than that.  I was thrilled watching it.  The shots are so vivid they just want to reach out and grab you.  Granted, the dialogue ain't up to much and the story gets a bit convoluted along the way but overall it was a bloody enjoyable ride with decent enough characters and some mesmerising visual effects. 

Go, Speed Racer, Go, I guess 

I'm curious what did your Girlfriend think? Mine hated it as you can see above your post

She enjoyed it, Screamy   I think her exact words were "I'm 20 years too old and female therefore I'm not exactly the target audience".  She says hi btw

Edited cos she made me change her exact words

< Message edited by Comrade Zutroy -- 13/5/2008 10:23:06 PM >

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 184
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 11:13:59 PM   
sam89

quote:

ORIGINAL: smila darcy

quote:

Oh, please elaborate.  I want to see how you can possibly compare this mess to these two masterpieces. 

My point is, Star Wars and Psycho (whilst being excellent) don't exactly have complex plots, yet Speed Racer is unfarly criticised for its simple plot. I'm not comparing the films' quality, just pointing out people's inconsistencies when reviewing films.

< Message edited by sam89 -- 13/5/2008 11:19:12 PM >

(in reply to smila darcy)
Post #: 185
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 11:43:28 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

I've also noticed that every negative review of this film at some point says "Looks like [insert something colourful here] on acid".

Dude it's a good movie, But it ain't as good as Psycho.

*ducks and covers*

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 186
RE: Go Go Go - 13/5/2008 11:50:26 PM   
sam89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Dude it's a good movie, But it ain't as good as Psycho.

*ducks and covers*

To quote my above post, I'm not comparing the films' quality, just pointing out people's inconsistencies when reviewing films.

Psycho's plot is no more complex than Speed Racer's (probably less so). Don't ask why I'm comparing the plots of Psycho and Speed Racer in the first place, it's just the first critically acclaimed film that came to mind 

< Message edited by sam89 -- 13/5/2008 11:51:22 PM >

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 187
- 14/5/2008 12:16:36 AM   
Hughezy

i really enjoyed it, but that's the type of storyline you should put in a kids film. A kids films' plot needs to be told in like 12 words at the most.

Also, those racing scenes were FANTASTIC!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 188
RE: - 14/5/2008 7:42:01 AM   
Wilbert

I just got back from New York where I saw this on opening day (first showing) for no other reason than it was raining.

I have to say....... it wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe.

I kept waiting for the bit where it would become really, really shit but it never came.

Don't get me wrong, there were problems. The youngest brother was the most annoying child I've ever seen on film and I know he was supposed to be annoying but an annoying child is an annoying child, regardless of the motives. Also, using a monkey for laughs is surely one of the cheapest ways to get laughs. Maybe there was a monkey in the original but it was not needed here.

The world is brilliantly realised and once you understand the anime roots of the series and the campy acting and story it works very well under its own terms.

The overlong explanation of the stock-market manipulation scam behind the races is out of place in a kids movie and feels like The Phantom Menace and it's trade dispute starting point (yeah, George, kids love stories about trade disputes!).

A big problem I had was that the races were all pretty much as good as each other. The last race wasn't that much better than the first one and the film didn't really build to a satisfying ending.

Also, Hirsch barely has anything to say in the film. He's the lead character but we don't really get a lot from him when he's not driving.

Another thing I learned from this film is that Susan Sarandon has still got it!

I don't ever want to see Speed Racer again and I think a sequel would be creatively pointless but I thought it was an ok way to get out of the driving New York rain for a couple of hours.

Did I mention I've just gotten back from New York?

Also, Max, come on! There is no way this is a 5 star film!

You're running the risk of losing that last bit of credibility you have if you stand by that rating!

< Message edited by Wilbert -- 14/5/2008 7:45:12 AM >

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Hughezy)
Post #: 189
RE: RE: - 14/5/2008 3:40:13 PM   
Hamish

The critical backlash is far from justified. Speed Racer blew away all expectations, I expected a visual feast but never predicted quite such an unrelenting, exhillirating ride.

Finally a family film with a memorably explosive finale, brilliantly choreographed pay off and just plain fun throughout. I found it pretty damn funny considering the target audience.

Its a big, silly cartoon complaints about dialogue and acting are pretty pointless as far as I am concerned, the story was simple and had real heart, in other words a success.

Looked like everyone was having a blast, Goodman in particular was, as always, great fun to watch.

Personally it tops Iron Man for film of the year so far, Id even go so far as to say it is the most enjoyable kids film of the decade. If the widespread criticism puts people off I am confident it will be a success on dvd (blu-ray in particular).

I wouldn't be surprised if Empire adds a star for the dvd either.

< Message edited by Hamish -- 14/5/2008 3:42:19 PM >

I don't know Butchie instead.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 190
- 14/5/2008 4:48:02 PM   
Manifold

I've worked as a cinema programmer for almost two years and I can't remember a film ever performing as badly as this has, no one wants to see it! Distributor demands mean we have to keep it on for another week too! I really do despair...

Post #: 191
- 14/5/2008 4:48:10 PM   
Manifold

I've worked as a cinema programmer for almost two years and I can't remember a film ever performing as badly as this has, no one wants to see it! Distributor demands mean we have to keep it on for another week too! I really do despair...

Post #: 192
RE: - 14/5/2008 5:13:19 PM   
sam89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manifold

Good, it gives me a chance to see it again

(in reply to Manifold)
Post #: 193
RE: RE: - 14/5/2008 5:24:03 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hamish

The critical backlash is far from justified. Speed Racer blew away all expectations, I expected a visual feast but never predicted quite such an unrelenting, exhillirating ride.

Finally a family film with a memorably explosive finale, brilliantly choreographed pay off and just plain fun throughout. I found it pretty damn funny considering the target audience.

Its a big, silly cartoon complaints about dialogue and acting are pretty pointless as far as I am concerned, the story was simple and had real heart, in other words a success.

Looked like everyone was having a blast, Goodman in particular was, as always, great fun to watch.

Personally it tops Iron Man for film of the year so far, Id even go so far as to say it is the most enjoyable kids film of the decade. If the widespread criticism puts people off I am confident it will be a success on dvd (blu-ray in particular).

I wouldn't be surprised if Empire adds a star for the dvd either.

more enjoyable than Iron Giant, Monster House, finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Cars? fuck right off

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Hamish)
Post #: 194
RE: Go Go Go - 14/5/2008 5:41:12 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

Psycho's plot is no more complex than Speed Racer's (probably less so). Don't ask why I'm comparing the plots of Psycho and Speed Racer in the first place, it's just the first critically acclaimed film that came to mind

There it is, folks, the moment that Max314, I mean sam89, lost all his credibility!

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 195
RE: Go Go Go - 14/5/2008 5:46:18 PM   
sam89

How is it any more complex though? Psycho's plot is effectively: woman steals money, goes to a hotel, gets killed, killer turns out to be his own mother. Like I said before, I'm not comparing the quality of the films, I'm simply saying that a film doesn't need a complex plot to be good.

Just because Psycho is a 'classic' doesn't mean I can't compare the complexity of its plot to Speed Racer.

I probably should have picked a kids' film to compare with though. For example, Toy Story (Buzz arrives, Woody and Buzz get lost, Woody and Buzz get found).

< Message edited by sam89 -- 14/5/2008 5:55:20 PM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 196
RE: Go Go Go - 14/5/2008 6:17:52 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

How is it any more complex though? Psycho's plot is effectively: woman steals money, goes to a hotel, gets killed, killer turns out to be his own mother. Like I said before, I'm not comparing the quality of the films, I'm simply saying that a film doesn't need a complex plot to be good.

Just because Psycho is a 'classic' doesn't mean I can't compare the complexity of its plot to Speed Racer.

I probably should have picked a kids' film to compare with though. For example, Toy Story (Buzz arrives, Woody and Buzz get lost, Woody and Buzz get found).

The killer doesn't turn out to be his own mother, Sam. Have you actually seen the film?

< Message edited by Wilbert -- 14/5/2008 6:18:18 PM >

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 197
RE: Go Go Go - 14/5/2008 7:28:26 PM   
sam89

I meant that Norman Bates and his "mother" are the same person.

Although it wasn't really my point to discuss the plot of Psycho. I was simply pointing out that Speed Racer is being unfairly criticised, in my opinion, for having "no plot".

< Message edited by sam89 -- 14/5/2008 7:31:39 PM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 198
RE: Go Go Go - 14/5/2008 7:52:10 PM   
krudler

quote:

its not the point that the plot is simple its just not very good, i find it hilarious that people defending the negative reviews all assume its becuase the critics are too old or dont get it or understand it, could it maybe shock horror be that its just isnt that good? it was no means godawful but not great either, just....meh, it was like watching someone play Mario Kart with better cgi

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 199
RE: Speed Racer - 15/5/2008 2:06:51 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

I loved it in all honesty, an incredibly fun 135 minutes and I don't even mean that it in a "switch your brain off for two hours" kind of way either, I honestly felt there was a well acted,heart warming story here also. Like the poster before me, come the climactic Grand Prix I was willing Speed on all the way to tearing Royalton Industries a new arsehole and I'd agree with Max that it's the tale of a lost family member that really drives the heart of the film, aided in no small part by the performances of Goodman, Hirsch,Sarandon and Fox. Granted acting and script are both decidedly campy, but given the context and tone of the film there bang on for the most part and nowhere near as horrendous as you've almost certainly been led to believe.

Oh and the action sequences are all kinds of crazy, easily the best audio/visual experience of the year or in recent memory for that matter. See this in IMAX if you can, it's more than worth the 12 admission fee. My only two real problems with the film are Spritle and his pet chimp. As a26 year old I can't honestly say their hijinks did a whole lot for me besides testing my patience. That said, younger members of the audience I saw this with were lapping it up and it is primarily aimed at their age group.

Conclusion:

Heartwarming family fun with some exhilarating visuals.

4/5

I'll agree with most of that. I didn't even think that Spritle and Chim Chim were that bad. It was a little long, and should have gotten to the moment Speed turned down Royalton Industries a little bit faster, but overall it was excellent. With this and Iron Man, 2008 is turning out to be a pretty great summer.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 200
RE: Go Go Go - 15/5/2008 7:20:54 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

I enjoyed this film a great deal. I didn't go in expecting a film akin to The Godfather, merely a film that sets out to entertain and thats what the Wachowski's delivered. Sure it may have been a bit too long and some of the talky bits are a bit, 'meh' but i'm prepared to look past them because visually it blew me away.

Oh and Sam. The film where the mother turns out to be the killer is Friday 13th.

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 15/5/2008 7:21:54 PM >

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 201
the most acurate review in years - 15/5/2008 7:43:42 PM   
BlueDragon21120

i saw this today and read the review second, and I have to say That after going to see this film with high hopes, likeing it, but being dissapointed, this reveiw really hits the spot. If you're planning to go see it, thsi reveiw says it all. the film is fun full stop, nothing else.

Post #: 202
the most acurate review in years - 15/5/2008 7:43:47 PM   
BlueDragon21120

i saw this today and read the review second, and I have to say That after going to see this film with high hopes, likeing it, but being dissapointed, this reveiw really hits the spot. If you're planning to go see it, thsi reveiw says it all. the film is fun full stop, nothing else.

Post #: 203
You will feel the need for Speed! - 15/5/2008 10:55:16 PM   
02PARSIM

First off I have to point out that not everybody is going to approve of my review, Speed Racer is a movie that people will either love or loathe. If you loathe the film no doubt people will complain about the over the top acting, the cartoony look of the film, the campness, the cheesiness and loads of other things. No this is not the film everybody will go in expecting, but if you are like me you will be sucked into an incredible looking movie, with cool as hell race sequences, superb comedic timing and just a sense of fun unfortunately lacking in so many movies of late. I went into this movie with mixed feelings, sure the special effects looked great, but nothing else stood out, it all looked so force and just a but naff. And to be honest the movie is a bit naff, but its the naffness that makes it so brilliant. This is a living, breathing cartoon, nothing more nothing less. The Wachowski's (of Matrix fame) have given a cartoon background real actors. Surprisingly it works, sure some of the sets seem taken straight out of Cat in the Hat, but unlike that awful movie this works. Yet where the film really, really works is in the absolutely incredible race sequences. Words cannot express just how brilliant they are, the special effects in the trailer are a mere hint of what you see in the movie, the bright colours assault your eyeballs as the cars crash, jump, fight and practically dance all over the screen. The three major race sequences are incredible and the major reason why people should see this movie.

Post #: 204
RE: You will feel the need for Speed! - 16/5/2008 1:28:38 PM   
Wilbert

For a film that has so much to say about the evils of corporate sponsorship, they have no qualms about putting a major oil companies logo on their poster.

http://www.imaginema.com/speed-racer-poster-product-placement/

(in reply to 02PARSIM)
Post #: 205
RE: You will feel the need for Speed! - 16/5/2008 2:06:16 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

For a film that has so much to say about the evils of corporate sponsorship, they have no qualms about putting a major oil companies logo on their poster.

no you just dont understand, its MEANT to be like that, nothing the Wachowskis do doesnt have a point or purpose, dont you know this?

quote:

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 206
RE: You will feel the need for Speed! - 16/5/2008 2:19:27 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

no you just dont understand, its MEANT to be like that, nothing the Wachowskis do doesnt have a point or purpose, dont you know this?

I feel stupid now.

I forgot that they can do no wrong and no matter how hard they try they just can't seem to get less than 5 stars for their films.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 207
RE: You will feel the need for Speed! - 16/5/2008 3:51:19 PM   
krudler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

I feel stupid now.

I forgot that they can do no wrong and no matter how hard they try they just can't seem to get less than 5 stars for their films.

exactly, its not bad cgi, its a cartoon, its not poorly written, its a cartoon, that kid isnt the most irritating child in the history of cinema, actually theres no excuse for that one, he is, even the kids in the audience hated him, overheard a few of them saying how annoying he was when we were leaving

quote:

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 208
RE: You will feel the need for Speed! - 16/5/2008 5:22:27 PM   
bruce_banner

i loved this film, although even i think that sometimes the dialogue did sound a bit clunky.Hell, i enjoed it so much that even Christina Rici didn't bug me (although that might just be due to the fact that she looks like an anime character so fitted in perfectly), and while the CGI wasn't the best ever seen in a film, the film itself was like nothing i have ever seen before so fitted it perfectly. It was wierd, because when i was walking out of the screening i noticed two things

1. even in the IMAX screening, there were only around 15/20 people
2. i have never seen so many happy 7 year old kids in one place

personally i love the film and feel that it was a totally unique experience. the only downside is that afterwards my eyes took a while to adjust to the real world, there were just so many bright colours in the movie that i wasn't used to seeing more than the colours of the rainbow.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 209
RE: You will feel the need for Speed! - 16/5/2008 5:40:30 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: bruce_banner

1. even in the IMAX screening, there were only around 15/20 people
2. i have never seen so many happy 7 year old kids in one place

You've never seen more than 15/20 happy 7 year olds in one place?

(in reply to bruce_banner)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Go Go Go Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI