Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Speed Racer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Speed Racer Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Speed Racer - 30/4/2008 12:42:13 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
It's all about the races - 30/4/2008 12:42:13 PM   
keaneye

I want to see the races on the big screen. I want to see how it all looks. I had a feeling the characters would struggle for credibility in those outfits, although it looks like a fun Saturday matinee. In other words, not to be taken too seriously.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 30/4/2008 12:54:44 PM   
holsy

Is the rating seriously a 15??? You describe it as one more the kids?

Post #: 3
RE: - 30/4/2008 1:08:19 PM   
grucl

Max?

Hello???

Are you still breathing?

(in reply to holsy)
Post #: 4
RE: Speed Racer - 30/4/2008 1:12:20 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I won't see this in the cinema, but I might have a look on DVD. It probably has to be seen on the big screen to fully appreciate the visuals, but style over substance doesn't interest me. Seems like a one of this summer's solid tentpole pictures along with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk etc. Don't know if it'll do as well as those, though.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to holsy)
Post #: 5
RE: - 30/4/2008 1:21:24 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: holsy

Is the rating seriously a 15??? You describe it as one more the kids?

Nah - it's a PG according to the BBFC website.

Not sure I'd pay to watch it.  The visuals look great but I'd never heard of Speed Racer until I heard about the film - I gather it's more significant in the US?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to holsy)
Post #: 6
RE: Speed Racer - 30/4/2008 1:40:53 PM   
Dukez

Is this a terrible cartoon turned into a really silly movie,
so how is the acting in this film ?
More like a cheesy playstation game come to life.

Can this movie really be better than
"A passage to India"
"Ironman"
"Full Metal Jacket"
"Simpsons movie"
"Paint your Wagon"
"The Tailor of Panama "
"Black Book"
"Ice Cold in Alex"
"Tombstone"
"Darkman"
and all those other allegedly crap films you gave two stars like "Enter the Dragon". 

< Message edited by Dukez -- 30/4/2008 3:25:47 PM >

Post #: 7
Wrong - 30/4/2008 3:18:26 PM   
IsabelB

this isnt a 15 i went on the website it's a PG.

Post #: 8
RE: Wrong - 30/4/2008 3:47:51 PM   
shawshank prisoner

i was pesemistic and expected a two star review. it'll be visually impressive, no doubt, but the trailer makes the whole thing look like shit. I'll end up seeing this at cinema during the summer but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it... it'll flop as well, no doubt.

(in reply to IsabelB)
Post #: 9
Bit of a predictable review there, Empire... - 30/4/2008 4:13:53 PM   
BOBBYDeNiro

Cumon, everybody knew that it was going to get the inoffensive three star rating from Empire. Playing it safe so you can up it one star or down it one star when you review the DVD, depending on everyone elses critical reception (which you so often do). Just make up your mind! you don't need to balance the argument, just have some balls and have an opinion... since the trailer you've been backing this film with phrases such as 'y'know, for kids' and yet you call it 'entirely shallow' what in the name of hell did you expect? you even admit that it is JUST A CARTOON, Y'KNOW, FOR KIDS. Does it, in your opinion, work on these levels? if not, if you were confused or disappointed as you sound in this review, rate it a two.

Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 30/4/2008 4:33:55 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Max?

Hello???

Are you still breathing?

Dude, I'm in the middle of fucking exam season here!

(That's "fucking exam season", not "fucking exam season"...I'm not that lucky.)

But yeah, I was expecting a 4-star review, although a 3-star doesn't surprise me.  Like they say, the film's gonna be highly divisive - you'll either dig what the Brothers are doing, or you'll be chucking up on your way out of the cinema.  And the early internet response to the trailers was pretty indicative of that, anyway.

Besides, 50% of internet users
+
thousands of Cartoon Network-aged kids
+
their parents
+
Matrix fans
+
Wachowski fans
+
guys using it as a compromise so they don't have to watch What Happens In Vegas... with their girlfriends
=
big enough box office for a sequel...hopefully

This is obviously going to be the Wachowskis' brainless action adventure series.  Something that has a lot of serialisation potential, especially since it's derived from a cartoon series to begin with.

So yeah, I'm expecting some insane big screen fun...can't wait!

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 30/4/2008 5:34:57 PM   
Ghost Mutt

Have personally seen the film at the Press Screening last Sunday at the Empire cinema and, personally, I loved it.

Aesthetically it's a beauty and although the plot is a little hard to comprehend - altogether I was really impressed by the overall style, weighted plot and fantastic action sequences - notably the GP's and the fighting segments - watch out for the mountain top rumble, absolutely brilliant.

Mind you did you expect anything else from the creators of the burly brawl...?

Personally, I thought the flashback were brilliantly handled and added serious oomph to the plot…

I really recommend watching this – obviously on the big screen or on a HD TV when the inevitable DVD is released around August time…

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 30/4/2008 5:35:25 PM   
Ghost Mutt

Have personally seen the film at the Press Screening last Sunday at the Empire cinema and, personally, I loved it.

Aesthetically it's a beauty and although the plot is a little hard to comprehend - altogether I was really impressed by the overall style, weighted plot and fantastic action sequences - notably the GP's and the fighting segments - watch out for the mountain top rumble, absolutely brilliant.

Mind you did you expect anything else from the creators of the burly brawl...?

Personally, I thought the flashback were brilliantly handled and added serious oomph to the plot…

I really recommend watching this – obviously on the big screen or on a HD TV when the inevitable DVD is released around August time…

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 13
BOBBYDeNiro... - 30/4/2008 6:23:20 PM   
Silvertouch

You cut straight to the bone, but you speak the truth. Empire, if you're telling me right now that Speed Racer is equal to I Am Legend, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call you out as fence-sitting sycophants.

Post #: 14
RE: BOBBYDeNiro... - 30/4/2008 7:44:42 PM   
badassmofo

Fuck it Im still looking forward to its migraine inducing pop-art funkiness. Seriously Im more excited about this than I ever thought I would be

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to Silvertouch)
Post #: 15
Loved the movie, hated this review. Particularly... - 30/4/2008 7:59:11 PM   
jgcrawford177

... the line about the "antiquated view of women." Did we watch the same movie? I saw women driving race cars, kung fu fighting, flying helicopters, welding iron, defying their families, broadcasting sports, customizing race cars for combat, and yes, making pancakes. I don't know which antiquated view you're talking about. Would love to hear a response, but you'll probably conform to my antiquated view of pompous film critics,

Post #: 16
- 30/4/2008 9:42:08 PM   
Deacon Frost

Not sure what to make of Speed Racer, and I think thats my point. I er...just dont care. Maybe I still carry the scars of matrix 2 and 3, films which also looked utterley breathtaking in the trailers (in particular the 2nd) yet were clock watching, get on with it garbage in the flesh. I think I will save my cash for Mr. Ford, Mr. Bale & Mr. Ledger. Will pop in and see what other people think and value their opinion though, so I might reconsider.

Post #: 17
RE: - 30/4/2008 11:49:34 PM   
Cleric John Preston

Total Film has given it 2 stars. I haven't seen it, and don't intend to, just thought I'd mention it. 

(in reply to Deacon Frost)
Post #: 18
2 for 3 - 1/5/2008 4:35:21 AM   
ajpthomas

So after the hype machine (of two of the event films of the year apparently) has quietly disappeared, we are left with two 3 star movies.. I agree with the other comment about Empire needing to validate their coverage and not to annoy the stars, so once the fuss has died down the DVD's can get the real rating. Bear in mind this is the magazine that gave Independence Day 5 stars and The Phantom Menace 4 stars on their cinema debuts

Post #: 19
- 1/5/2008 8:04:17 AM   
stravers

Isn't the point about the wachowskis is that they don't make comic book movies, they make moving comic books. That's why the matrix sequels are so divisive, they don't operate in the way that movies should, they operate by the rules of comic books.

Post #: 20
RE: - 1/5/2008 9:42:42 AM   
alpat24

In response to the poster who mentioned that Empire goes along way to hyping movies, and then having to validate there coverage when the films eventually turn out as good or average, is not the point. We want to know about these films, so the coverage is given, and I believ these films get the rating they deserve, I think Empire may even upgrade Iron Man to 4 stars on DVD. Anyway I don't think Speed Racer has been that hyped at all, it looks like a cartoon and I don't think the majority of the people here on the forum are the target audience for this film i.e Anyone under 15, anyone who likes comedy Chimps ala MVP, and Americans who know the cartoon. To me it just looks like a headache waitiing to happen, but as long as it looks good, shiny and bright, who cares about story and characters, eh kids ?

Save me jebus !!!
Heavy ? Why is everything so heavy in the future is something wrong with the earths gravitational pull ?

(in reply to stravers)
Post #: 21
It's pretty shit - 2/5/2008 4:39:43 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Sorry, but it's a mess. Saw it today. Overlong and tedious. Also, Emile Hirsch punches like a girl. Fox was good though. Iron man was a hell of a lot better - go see that twice instead.

Post #: 22
Speed Racer. - 4/5/2008 9:25:58 PM   
nc_jj

I have to admit that I like this movie. I mean, it's no Matrix, right? But I really liked this.

Post #: 23
RE: Bit of a predictable review there, Empire... - 5/5/2008 10:24:05 AM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOBBYDeNiro

Cumon, everybody knew that it was going to get the inoffensive three star rating from Empire. Playing it safe so you can up it one star or down it one star when you review the DVD, depending on everyone elses critical reception (which you so often do). Just make up your mind! you don't need to balance the argument, just have some balls and have an opinion... since the trailer you've been backing this film with phrases such as 'y'know, for kids' and yet you call it 'entirely shallow' what in the name of hell did you expect? you even admit that it is JUST A CARTOON, Y'KNOW, FOR KIDS. Does it, in your opinion, work on these levels? if not, if you were confused or disappointed as you sound in this review, rate it a two.

I agree in part with BOBBYDeNiro's sentiments here. Empire blatantly functions as an extension of mainstream hollywood publicity machine. It claims to provide objective analysis but really just whips up excitement over months and months for the next blockbuster and then looks very silly when it turns out to be a turkey. And the policy of re-reviewing films on DVD and re-grading reveals either dishonesty or bad judgement. Phantom Menace, Independance Day etc... there are lots of examples of Empire giving bad films good reviews on release and then realising they were wrong later. Not professional.
And notice how hey never go out of there way to publicise smaller films. When was the last time Empire had numerous special features on say a Mike Leigh film?? Why not give publicity to good films that actually need the exposure rather than, say, Iron Man or Speed Racer that already have a posters on every London bus anyway!

< Message edited by fierce-hairdo -- 5/5/2008 10:25:46 AM >

(in reply to BOBBYDeNiro)
Post #: 24
Rate it as you write it! - 5/5/2008 11:05:25 AM   
jimibadboi7

so....Speed Racer is equally as enjoyable as Iron Man then???

This review reads like a 2 star film...where as the Iron Man review read like a 4....nevermind...stamp them both with a 3.....

next up for the obligatory 3 star treatment....Hulk, Wanted and The happening!

Post #: 25
- 5/5/2008 11:10:00 AM   
jimibadboi7

Not that i particularly enjoy total film, and they are guilty of dodgy reviews (Jumper 4 stars! ha)... but at least their ratings relate to the review....they slate speed racer and give it a 2.....they praise iron man and give it a 3....that makes sense at least.

Post #: 26
RE: - 5/5/2008 11:11:25 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Didn't want to see this originally, but it looks fun enough plus it's on IMAX which I love an excuse to go to

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to jimibadboi7)
Post #: 27
RE: Speed Racer - 5/5/2008 5:55:39 PM   
max314

Well, we've seen Total Film's negative review, but here's a collection of some pretty exciting opinions:
  • "Thrilling" and "triumphantly visual".  (Empire)
  • "Visually astonishing...groundbreaking triumph".  "The Wachowskis back on groundbreaking form".  (IGN UK)
  • "The term 'rollercoaster ride' was all but invented to describe it."  (Den of Geek)
  • "The kind of visual spectacle that demands to be seen - and preferably on the biggest screen you can possibly find."  (Film4)
  • "An awesome, heart-thumping super-kinetic spectacle which will have you gripping the sides of your seat in terror and exhilaration."  (The Telegraph)
  • "Speed Racer is a blast from start to finish.  Five stars."  (Cole Smithey)

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

• Post #: 28
    Oh dear - 6/5/2008 7:35:06 AM   
    IsabelB

speed racer and iron man were anticipated for ages by empire, and when they come out, they get crap ratings. please let indy 4 get a good rating.

Post #: 29
    RE: Speed Racer - 6/5/2008 10:29:31 AM   
    alpat24

I saw a preview this weekend and took my nephew along, he half enjoyed it, said it was OK and mainly enjoyed the races and laughed heartily at the monkey (me too, but I just find monkies funny). But found alot of it confusing and abit overwhelming.

Some alternative opinions to your rave reviews posted (and more the majority view I would warrant)
    You might admire it as a Warholian blur of pop art, gawp and gasp at its Hot Wheels-for-real dynamism, or get a headache -
    Ian Nathan  Empire Magazine

It's an eyesore, a shambles, with incoherent action and ear-buckling dialogue.
    David Edelstein  New York Magazine

Unlike a Pixar cartoon that embraces as wide an audience as possible, Speed Racer proudly denies entry into its ultra-bright world to all but gamers, fanboys and anime enthusiasts.
    Kirk Honeycutt Hollywood Reporter

Unfortunately the Wachowski Brothers have lucked out again, not down to there visionary visual style. But the fact they haven't got an ear for good dialogue and haven't the knack of getting the best out of characters, and have no idea how to string together a coherent narrative.

< Message edited by alpat24 -- 6/5/2008 10:33:09 AM >

Save me jebus !!!
    Heavy ? Why is everything so heavy in the future is something wrong with the earths gravitational pull ?

(in reply to max314)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Speed Racer Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI