Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Exclusive: McKellen talks The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: McKellen talks The Hobbit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclusive: McKellen talks The Hobbit - 30/4/2008 10:11:48 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 30/4/2008 10:11:48 AM   
Estel Productions

Peace at last. It wouldnt of been the same if they changed characters. yet, saying that, Gandalf features really only in the first half, and the last bit of the book if i remember, it is not as though it is surrounding him.

What i am most intrigued to know is, who they are thinking of casting for Bilbo?!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 30/4/2008 10:26:12 AM   
tom_poynton

I would hope it would be Ian Holm! Remember, "you haven't aged a day..."

(in reply to Estel Productions)
Post #: 3
- 30/4/2008 12:00:11 PM   
steveg66

Legolas and Gimli's dads also turn up in the Hobbit so perhaps they could cameo at some point. Although not in the book, Gandalf's disappearence from the story was due to him organising an attack on the newly reappeared Sauron before he fled to Mordor. I'd like to see that put in the film if possible. Think that would lead to a full cast reunion of sorts as Aragorn, Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman were involved with that.

Post #: 4
Ian Holm - 30/4/2008 12:31:46 PM   
keaneye

I agree with the casting of Ian Holm as Bilbo again, cause I was also remembering that line, 'you haven't aged a day'. If he already looked the part in the beginning of Lord of the Rings then it won't take the youth enhancing cgi that many people were speculating on. I'm sure he'll handle the action scen too. I mean they're not Spiderman style acrobatics we're talking about here. It's very little more action than Gandalf will have to do.

Post #: 5
2 movies - 30/4/2008 12:34:43 PM   
boriordan

What's this about stretching out the book to make two movies. I thought they've made it quite clear by now that the first movie would be based on the book and the second would be a bridging story between the Hobbit and LOTR. You're a movie site, surely you've heard of this. SURELY.

Post #: 6
RE: 2 movies - 30/4/2008 1:00:17 PM   
grucl

Ian Holmes would look like he did during the opening montage of FOTR. I don’t see a problem with that…

(in reply to boriordan)
Post #: 7
- 30/4/2008 1:02:31 PM   
Steve Irwin

Del Toro is writing this? Please say that's a mistake, he's got some talent as a director (visually at least) but he cant write for shit, in all his films characters are driven by actions which help the story go to where he wants to take it next at the expense of believable characterisation.

Post #: 8
RE: - 30/4/2008 1:16:16 PM   
jpt1976

Christopher Lee's getting on now and he's semi-retired.  Apart from a few cameos in recent films he's said he doesn't want to do any proper full-on acting that this type of story would take.

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 9
Ian Holm? - 30/4/2008 2:33:02 PM   
Mr Grizzly

Though it would be great continuity, they'll probably go for a younger actor. Why not James McAvoy? He's already done a faun, he could tick another fantasy character off his to-do list!

Post #: 10
What's it all about, Gandalfie? - 30/4/2008 4:57:30 PM   
keyzersaulsie

Hobbit is all sewn up but perhaps the second film could highlight the love life of the roguish old wizard.

Post #: 11
- 30/4/2008 5:41:28 PM   
Hughezy

they should get Michael Sheen to be the new Magneto

Post #: 12
RE: Exclusive: McKellen talks The Hobbit - 1/5/2008 1:50:01 PM   
My name is Legion

The people saying that Ian Holm should be cast again as Bilbo need to be realistic, by the time these films fully end shooting he will be around 80.  As much as I loved his portrayal in the LOTR trilogy, I really don't won't to see a heavily made up, semi CGI puppet, old man playing the hero in two epic films.  He will not be cast.

Yeah Ian McKellen is only eight years younger, but eight years is a hell of a difference once you reach that time of your life.

Post #: 13
Ian Holm: No - 1/5/2008 11:22:01 PM   
borgsblueyes

Ian Holm was great in LOTR but in that he was 111, in the Hobbit he is 33 the same age as Frodo in LOTR. I think everyone could see the age difference between Frodo and Bilbo. As for Gandalf his age isn't exactly known but he is thousands of years old, and is described exactly the same in all the books. Del Toro isn't writing, Fran Walsh and co are back on board. There is soooo much material in the Silmarillion and the History of Middle-Earth books that numerous films could be made. Maybe we'll get some back story on Aragorn and Arwen? Hopefully they will stop after this so they remain masterpieces and true to the author.

Post #: 14
time flies - 3/5/2008 2:27:45 AM   
skoundrel

all this talk about new films is great but its a big shame the didnt start makin the hobbit a couple of years after the return of the king so things were all still cool and exciting. understood that it took a while to get the film rights for the hobbit but its a big risk askin original actors to reprise roles years after in a prequel!! the only character i will let go is indiana jones because hes going to plat an older indiana supposedly than the original 1930s films. mr lucas AS MUCH as i love the guy took too long to make episode 1, he should have made them in the beginnin of the 90s with the same older effects and classic stunts instead of CGI!! cant blame them for waiting for some good actors though but puttin haydens face on the original anakins body at the end of jedi was a bit of a let down!! ANYWAY!! lets hope the hobbit doesnt let us down!!

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: McKellen talks The Hobbit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI