Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Michael Mann's Best

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Michael Mann's Best Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
[Poll]

Michael Mann's Best

Thief
  0% (0)
The Keep
  1% (1)
Manhunter
  14% (12)
The Last Of The Mohicans
  20% (17)
Heat
  45% (37)
The Insider
  4% (4)
Ali
  0% (0)
Collateral
  12% (10)
Miami Vice
  0% (0)

Total Votes : 81

(last vote on : 6/3/2009 5:52:16 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 3/11/2008 8:26:52 AM   
Harry Lime

Last Of The Mohicans by a long long way. Got to give some props to Thief too. Excellent wee film.

Worst. Heat. Flabby characters, meandering or dead end plotlines, one decent shootout and a cop out ending. Heat... Sub-Melville. Sub-Huston. Sub-Standard.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 31
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 3/11/2008 3:07:43 PM   
Rumbaabaa

The Keep. Loved it - wish it was out on DVD.

Second place: Miami Vice. No, really.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 32
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 3/11/2008 4:57:24 PM   
Chris66

1. Heat
2. Collateral
3. The Insider
4. Manhunter

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 33
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 8/11/2008 7:01:18 PM   
The Scientist

Another vote for Last of the Mohicans, a great adventure film.  The Insider was a good against the odds drama, also liked Manhunter.  Ali was poorly directed, wasting Will Smiths excellent performance.  Wasn't impressed by Collateral. 

I am not a ninja but am under hynosis.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 34
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 9/11/2008 12:00:17 PM   
El Becks

Manhunter; so much better than Silence of the Lambs.  Brian Cox far more chilling than Anthony Hopkins (who I usually love) as Lecter.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

Post #: 35
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 9/11/2008 12:33:04 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

Manhunter; so much better than Silence of the Lambs.  Brian Cox far more chilling than Anthony Hopkins (who I usually love) as Lecter.

This will be one of those rare times when you and I disagree, EB!
I think Cox was better than Hopkins in Red Dragon and Hannibal but not in Silence Of The Lambs.

I like Manhunter but it has aged badly. The music and that horrible blue 80's look in some scenes is awful but Silence.... hasn't aged a day.
It's a perfect film.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 36
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 9/11/2008 12:44:29 PM   
El Becks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

This will be one of those rare times when you and I disagree, EB!
I think Cox was better than Hopkins in Red Dragon and Hannibal but not in Silence Of The Lambs.

I like Manhunter but it has aged badly. The music and that horrible blue 80's look in some scenes is awful but Silence.... hasn't aged a day.
It's a perfect film.

How can you say that??  Hopkins was playing it for laughs; at no stage was there the feeling that Clarice was in danger ... and the ending??  Just comic.  It's a while since I last saw Manhunter, admittedly, but I recall I liked Mann's use of colour.  Cox played Lecter as cold and heartless; completely chilling.  Did like Silence of the Lambs for one thing; Chris Isaak was in it as the SWAT commander.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 37
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 9/11/2008 12:46:40 PM   
Wilbert

I think he played it as a bit of a pantomime dame in the films after Silence and that has maybe tainted people's memory of his performance in Silence but at the time nobody was saying he played it for laughs at all.

I think it's a perfect film but we'll agree to disagree.

< Message edited by Wilbert -- 9/11/2008 12:47:26 PM >

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 38
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 9/11/2008 1:23:35 PM   
livila

The Insider, such an atmospheric film, excellent soundtrack. Al Pacino and Russell Crowe putting in brilliant performances.
I really like Last of the Mohicans, but hate the most played scene. "I'll find you" under the waterfall bit. Sounded totally crass, which is why I avoided it at the cinema. More fool me

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 39
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 30/11/2008 8:46:55 PM   
Tech_Noir

A tie between Collateral and Heat.

Mark Ruffalo must have one of the coolest character intros ever.

Worst would have to be Ali - really a wasted opportunity, I think they were just trying too hard.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 30/11/2008 8:51:44 PM >
Post #: 40
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 1/12/2008 12:31:03 AM   
Olaf

Collateral. Was very disappointed by Heat, outside of a few great scenes (without a doubt the best shootout ever) a bit overlong.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 41
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 1/12/2008 12:35:52 AM   
Rhubarb

Heat is quite boring.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 42
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 1/12/2008 4:41:23 PM   
MartinBlank76

Heat is the best followed by...

The Insider
Manhunter
Miami Vice
Collateral

Have never seen Thief or the The Keep but I dont like Last of the Mohicans and I dont really remember much about Ali. Think it was alright though.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 43
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 26/2/2009 10:28:01 AM   
Dave B

Keeping in mind that I've not been Thief, The Keep (which I don't think is out on DVD) and Ali, I would have to go with The Insider. Stunning performances, great story, bucket loads of tension and one hell of a soundtrack. The most underappreciated film of the 90s and while everyone complains that Pulp Fiction and L.A. Confidential didn't win at the Oscars, their biggest mistake was not awarding this film.

Last of the Mohicans, Heat, Collateral and Manhunter are all excellent films as well. Miami Vice I can take or leave.

Does anyone know if the director's cuts for Last of the Mohicans, Ali and Miami Vice are actually better than the theatrical cuts? I've heard very bad things about the Mohicans DC.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 44
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 28/2/2009 4:13:19 AM   
davidjthomson

A very tough choice indeed.  Kudos to you sir!

MANHUNTER will always be my favourite, mostly due to the tight dialogue and superb acting from William Peterson and Brian Cox.  The Red Dragon remake was just dreadful. 

HEAT was a film i never took to first time around, but the second and third times i watched it, i realised that it was truly epic in every sense. 

LAST OF THE MOHICANS was, for me, a film that was criminally overlooked when it first hit the cinemas.  It has action scenes unsurpassed in any other historical war movie.  It's cinematography is truly beautiful. 

COLLATERAL is unique in so far as it seems that even people who would never usually watch a Tom Cruise movie are agreed that this is a tour de force for him.  Surely down to brilliant direction and writing. 

I'm not surprised MIAMI VICE has not been regarded as a favourite, i myself was one of the first to decry it because i was such a fan of the TV series.  But, to play devils advocate, i would also say that it is worth a second look.  If you can look at it as a cops and robbers movie with NO bearing or resemblance to the TV show other than the setting, it's not that bad. 

ALI was a bit of a disappointment for me in so far as i felt it was not either a typical Michael Mann film nor a perfect biopic of one of my sporting heroes. 

THE KEEP was just TOO out there for me.  Mabye i should give it another shot.

THE INSIDER i liked, but did not feel it worthy of Michael Mann.

THIEF is the only one i haven't seen.  Am i missing a classic?

I stand back now waiting for a virtual kicking.......

Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 45
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 1/3/2009 12:24:39 AM   
King_Bard

Collateral for me..

Am i the only one who didn't really like Heat?

(in reply to davidjthomson)
Post #: 46
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 1/3/2009 1:29:29 AM   
Ultimo Lee

Heat
The Last Of The Mohicans
Collateral
Manhunter
Ali
Thief
The Insider

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 1/3/2009 1:36:59 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 2/3/2009 5:28:36 AM   
Incanus

I voted for Manhunter. I can't say I liked Heat or Collateral, I don't I will take the time to watch them again. The Insider would easily be my second choice and Miami Vice my third, only because I used to like the TV series and somehow that worked for me.

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

Post #: 48
RE: Michael Mann's Best - 6/3/2009 6:02:26 AM   
JoeyPottr

Heat, Pacino and DeNiro in the same movie against each other and you're rooting for the bad guys more than the good guys.
Just the cast in that movie is incredible, lots of technical stuff, (Mann does his homework every time) incredible shootout, lots of layers, trademark blue cast over the film, a crime saga without the melodrama.
Last of the Mohicans is a beautifully shot movie, but the overacting of Daniel Day Lewis gets a bit grating at times
Collateral was pretty good, (different part for Cruise but he's likable) but so was the Insider, especially Russell Crowe's performance as Jeffrey Wigand as well as Al Pacino as Lowell Bergman
Miami Vice could have been good (not much action, not enough Crockett and Tubbs, too much of a love story, not enough pastels, flamingo's okay I'll say it NOT ENOUGH CHEESINESS OF THE T.V. SHOW)
Can't wait to see Public Enemies with Batman and Jack Sparrow

< Message edited by JoeyPottr -- 6/3/2009 6:03:43 AM >

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Michael Mann's Best Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI