Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Iron Man

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Iron Man Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Iron Man - 13/6/2008 11:01:09 PM   
gingerguy01

Seen the movie and a few weeks ago peeps, and i'm sad to say that my review was written the moment the credits start rolling....Favreau could not of had a better actor at his desposal to play the man of iron than rd jnr. however the 1 thing on every ones lips who watched the cartoons as a kid was, where was the the villian.. if it was'nt for the fact that the excellent rd jnr and a few decent surpporting acts, this flick would never of rolled the credits at the box office. In short if ya have never watched iron man or dont pay much attention to detail u will enjoy this blockbust.. or like me if ya look from every angle know a bit about iron man ya might as well prepare to be dissapointed.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
Enjoyable Fun - 14/6/2008 10:15:55 PM   
startledrabbit

Didn't expect a great movie and was pleasantly surprised, this was enjoyable comic-book fun which filled a gap whilst waiting for Dark Knight to arrive.

The last 20 minutes were a bit pointless really, but other than that worth a watch and will happily fill a couple of hours.

Post #: 182
RE: Enjoyable Fun - 17/6/2008 5:10:03 PM   
jighooligan

I really enjoyed this an excellent summer blockbuster. RD Jr gives a brilliant preformance and is aided by strong supporting cast. I agree with EMPIRE saying the sequal is bound-to-be-better

(in reply to startledrabbit)
Post #: 183
RE: Enjoyable Fun - 17/6/2008 10:29:57 PM   
Nimrods Son

Now that they have the origins outta the way they can really go wild in the next one. And hopefully they'll elaborate on Samuel L Jackson's cameo a bit more.

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)

(in reply to jighooligan)
Post #: 184
RE: Enjoyable Fun - 20/6/2008 1:05:19 PM   
ripblade

Fun, Slick, Exciting, Incredible.

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) really is the guy most boys want to be when they grow up, charming, sophisticated, rich, handsome, has supermodels dropping at his feet, oh and all of this is before he even becomes a super-hero.

Downey is by far Iron Man’s greatest strength, the film rests on his shoulders with ease and every scene with him flies by as he’s such a joy to watch. He’s the perfect choice for the character and in more ways then one, as I’m sure the sequels will reveal…

To add to this, you have an amazing cast of characters to back him up with Gweneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard and Jeff Bridges all playing magnificent parts and bring life to this comic-book world.

The action sequence are fun, fantastic and keep a sense of realism to them all at the same time, which allows you to get absorbed into the world without ever thinking to yourself “that’s not possible.”

The story is strong, yet balances the origin of our hero with the birth of a villain a bit unevenly. The main problem is that the origin story is by far the focus (and is very strong), but being a summer-blockbuster it has to have a climatic fight at the end and the creation of Iron-Monger feels a tad rushed in comparison to the excellence of the Tonk Starks story. But that’s a minor quibble.

The special effects are a combination of CGI and practial, and ILM have blantantly used the same technology originally created for Transformers for Iron Man’s suit, this isn’t a bad thing though and looks amazing.

My only problem with Iron Man (and this isn’t the films fault itself) was the trailer! You see, the trailer basically set out the whole movie in chronological order in 2 and half minutes. Therefore, whilst watching the film, I did sometimes feel like I’d seen it all before and knew what was going to happen. The worst case being Stark’s capture in the middle-east, as I already knew how he was going to escape, etc. Obviously this is my own fault, but nonetheless it did effect my viewing slightly.

I can’t hold this against the film per se, just maybe the marketing department!

Definitely top rate entertainment, that is a combination of classic James Bond and a super-hero film, highly recommended.

9/10

Read more at - http://ripbladereviews.blogspot.com/

Watch. Enjoy. Discuss.

(in reply to Nimrods Son)
Post #: 185
RE: Enjoyable Fun - 20/6/2008 2:49:56 PM   
Nimrods Son

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripblade

Fun, Slick, Exciting, Incredible.

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) really is the guy most boys want to be when they grow up, charming, sophisticated, rich, handsome, has supermodels dropping at his feet, oh and all of this is before he even becomes a super-hero.

Downey is by far Iron Man's greatest strength, the film rests on his shoulders with ease and every scene with him flies by as he's such a joy to watch. He's the perfect choice for the character and in more ways then one, as I'm sure the sequels will reveal…

To add to this, you have an amazing cast of characters to back him up with Gweneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard and Jeff Bridges all playing magnificent parts and bring life to this comic-book world.

The action sequence are fun, fantastic and keep a sense of realism to them all at the same time, which allows you to get absorbed into the world without ever thinking to yourself "that's not possible.”

The story is strong, yet balances the origin of our hero with the birth of a villain a bit unevenly. The main problem is that the origin story is by far the focus (and is very strong), but being a summer-blockbuster it has to have a climatic fight at the end and the creation of Iron-Monger feels a tad rushed in comparison to the excellence of the Tonk Starks story. But that's a minor quibble.

The special effects are a combination of CGI and practial, and ILM have blantantly used the same technology originally created for Transformers for Iron Man's suit, this isn't a bad thing though and looks amazing.

Definitely top rate entertainment, that is a combination of classic James Bond and a super-hero film, highly recommended.

9/10

Amen to that.

< Message edited by Nimrods Son -- 20/6/2008 2:51:22 PM >

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)

(in reply to ripblade)
Post #: 186
a good start - 27/6/2008 5:55:18 PM   
timothywmccarthy

this isnt the rip roaring action epic that evryone was expecting, but it is an excellent introduction to the iron man character and franchise. robert downey jr is awesome as tony stark and has all the charm and swagger of the original comic book icon. GO AND SEE IT!!!

Post #: 187
RE: a good start - 28/6/2008 10:43:44 AM   
4aces

Ok, i went and see it yesterday.. And i thought i was going to dislike it. But i just loved the hell out of it. One of the best comic to movies movie ever. I really got into it and it had a good balance between effects and story. Just the way i like these kind of movies to be. RDJ was born to play the role of Stark. Just as i got a little sick of overusage of GCI in modern movies. This one nails it. Also i thought the action scenes where rather good. Some great compositions made it feel like true comic book action scenes. Iron Man rules. At the end of the movie i only could think of one thing. Iron Man 2. Bring it on!!

****/*****

(in reply to timothywmccarthy)
Post #: 188
A lot different from other superhero movies. - 30/6/2008 3:40:08 PM   
JohnPaul1996

The reason it"s different is because it"s not really about iron man,it"s about Tony Stark(which is obviously the same person),there"s only like ten minutes when stark is actually iron man,in my opinion it should be called...TONY STARK! Empire is completely right about its rating!

Post #: 189
Empire review misleading - 3/7/2008 12:59:32 AM   
steve1138

The Empire review seems is overly negative - it stresses the failings of the movie much more than its merits, and said failings are very much a matter of opinion. For example, "...the action scenes too brief, too flippant; a zoom here, a flash there." On seeing the movie - after reading this review - I was happily relieved as I thought there was a fine amount of action in the movie. One of Empire's reviews I'd advise you to take with a pinch of salt and SEE THE MOVIE YOURSELF!!

Post #: 190
RE: Empire review misleading - 8/7/2008 3:25:57 PM   
Wessing

Yea I have to say this movie was really good.  It's good because it spends alot of time exploring exactly how he became Iron Man, rather than all the exploits of Iron Man.  Like in spider-man, in the first ten minutes pretty much, he's fighting bad guys, that's it(not that I dont like it), but Iron Man was different.  Other than that aspect of the film, it was just beautiful, sept for the big fight at the end, i was like WTF??

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to steve1138)
Post #: 191
RE: 3 for 20 - 8/7/2008 9:13:47 PM   
hatebox

Empire is right, the sequel will be better - not that that'd be very difficult. Beyond RDJ's game performance this was actually a very mediocre film. It's basically an action comedy that's not particularly funny, and the action scenes are moderate to dreadful. It fell into the origin story trap of being all setup and no payoff.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 8/7/2008 9:14:08 PM >

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 192
A Terrific Comic Book Movie - 31/7/2008 12:00:53 PM   
Ben Lee

Last summer, the disappointment of Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2 slightly diminished my hopes for future comic book movies. However, this summer has, without question, renewed my excitement towards the genre. Both Iron Man and The Dark Knight are absolutely fantastic, and even The Incredible Hulk was a good piece of entertainment.

Anyway, back to Iron Man. This movie is just wonderful. The cast (especially Robert Downey Jr. in a career-defining performance as the metallic hero) is flawless, the action is gripping and the direction from Jon Favreau is spot-on. All of my expectations were surpassed by this movie, and I look forward to watching the sequel when it is released in cinemas. 

< Message edited by Ben Lee -- 31/7/2008 12:02:09 PM >

Riddle me this, Riddle me that. Who's afraid of the big black bat?

Post #: 193
Fantastic film - 11/8/2008 1:52:42 PM   
darling_echoes

I personally thought it was fantastic. Great action, great effects and nicely placed comedy bits made this movie fit together like...well like Tony's suit.
I will admit when I first heard about this movie it didn't appeal to me. It wasn't like the other superhero movies I was used to, like Xmen, Fantastic Four etc(I never read the comics or watched the cartoons series of any of them). But I started watching the previews and interviews and started to grow to it. Then I became obsessed.
The only thing I had about the movie was that, in my opinion, they didn't spend enough time with Tony in the suit. Most of the movie was just him, building up to it. Don't get me worng, I still loved it, I just wished they could have spent more time on him building the Mark II+III suits and trying them out. Perhaps extending the film to the 2hour 30mins mark. I don't know what other people think about that idea, but it's just what I think.
Also Robert's performance was great. I can't think of anyone else who could have played the role better.
All in all, a great action film. I give it 5 stars.
If you haven't seen it then I do suggest you watch it when you can. You don't want to miss this great film.
IRON MAN FTW!! lol

Post #: 194
- 19/8/2008 4:32:32 AM   
JRoss

I actually thought that this was really rather good. I had no desire to see it and much as i know that Downey is an excellent actor (Chaplin anyone)? I thought that this wasn't going to be a good film, and yet i watched it on the plane to the states and was absolutely enticed. It was made properly, the acting was good, the flying put Superman Returns to shame, the neat touch was answering his mobile mid flight, and it was produced well. This should have got four stars from Empire. It wasn't unmissable, but it sure as hell knew how to deliver the beginnings and middle to the plot. The reader as per many people have suggested... is advised to watch it and decide for themselves(!)

Post #: 195
- 19/8/2008 4:33:48 AM   
JRoss

I actually thought that this was really rather good. I had no desire to see it and much as i know that Downey is an excellent actor (Chaplin anyone)? I thought that this wasn't going to be a good film, and yet i watched it on the plane to the states and was absolutely enticed. It was made properly, the acting was good, the flying put Superman Returns to shame, the neat touch was answering his mobile mid flight, and it was produced well. This should have got four stars from Empire. It wasn't unmissable, but it sure as hell knew how to deliver the beginnings and middle to the plot; and the ending was complete in the character of Stark. Excellent. The reader as per many people have suggested... is advised to watch it and decide for themselves(!)

Post #: 196
IRON MAN Review - 23/8/2008 12:01:13 PM   
MovieWatcher45

I enjoyed Ironman, I felt the CGI was good and the acting was decent and it's a really enjoyable film throughout. The first part of the movie was really enjoyable and it explained Ironman's backstory very well but the climatic batte against IronMonger wasn't very good. I felt as soon as the battle begun it ended. And the ending feels a bt rushed ('I am Ironman'). So despite it's very enjoyable build up, Ironman is barely seen in his classic armour and the action sequences are too short. However it's a classic superhero movie.

Post #: 197
RE: Iron Man - 4/9/2008 5:40:37 PM   
Mason Verger

Tony Stark: A Different Hero for Different Times from PopMatters.com (Suggested by freemindrdr)

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 198
RE: Iron Man - 11/9/2008 6:07:50 PM   
TheGodfather

check this (click)

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 199
Inessential but entertaining - 20/9/2008 12:40:03 PM   
Yozzer66

Another Marvel Comics' superhero, another planned trilogy of films. It is an entertaining but inessential addition to the genre.

Post #: 200
Fantastic.. - 22/9/2008 9:16:56 AM   
Jim Bob

..I enjoyed this every bit as much as Nolan's Batman films.

Post #: 201
Iron Man (2008) - 29/9/2008 3:40:12 PM   
Mason Verger

Design Art from Iron Man from Yahoo.com

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 202
RE: Iron Man (2008) - 2/10/2008 1:23:59 AM   
bozo

Decidedly average film, only good thing about it was Bridges playing a villain (but all to briefly).

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 203
RE: Iron Man (2008) - 2/10/2008 3:14:46 PM   
ElSloano64

Out of this years (2008) comic book flicks, Iron Man was the "best" of a very bad bunch. I found the slapstick humour c/o  director Jon Favreau to act as an unconscious apology for the material (think how silly and parodic the Chris Reeve Superman movies became, for example) and the sub Bogey/Bacall, Nick & Nora type patter between Paltrow and Downey Jnr. didn`t work at all. Neither did the set pieces - yes, we know R.D. Jnr. is Iron Man at the end of the movie - keep your bloody helmet and right glove on, Shellhead!  What next? Justin Hammer as the next big villain or Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man??? Mediocre first film, the sequel had better be more effective or I`ll shove my Cineworld card up someone`s arse if they dare to disagree with me! Glad Iron Man, Incredible Hulk (or the Ordinary Hulk as Sight & Sound`s Kim Newman called it) and The Dark Knight all made mega-bucks - we might actually get James Cameron doing Iron Man 3 or Brad Bird doing live action super heroes...

< Message edited by ElSloano64 -- 2/10/2008 3:16:52 PM >

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 204
RE: Iron Man (2008) - 10/10/2008 12:56:00 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I'd give this movie four stars and Robert Downey Jr earns half of that on his own with a super performance as Stark. I've been getting pretty bored with superhero movies but I really enjoyed this for one major reason.

It's basically more sci-fi than superhero and Stark's creations are just for want of a better word/ swear word - fucking cool. I thought the action was first rate and the supporting cast (Bridges and Paltrow mainly) were excellent as well. Jeff Bridges' suit was another quality sci-fi creation, especially when he took off in chase of Iron Man with the rocket boosters - just a great looking effect and fairly scary to boot.

The final scene at the press conference when Stark simply goes "I'm Iron Man" was a brilliant way to end things off considering most superheros do their damndest to stay secret - the man don't give a shit! Nice - I look forward to the sequel. (By the way Stan Lee as Hugh Hefner was a great touch)

(in reply to ElSloano64)
Post #: 205
great movie - 15/10/2008 2:34:16 PM   
ryanand conor

irob man is a truly great film robert downy jr is brilliant in this movie

Post #: 206
Pretty good - 21/10/2008 10:42:00 PM   
mojo88

Man, this movie had real potential. It was enjoyable enough though. Very good CGI, but no credibilty. I mean, how does the guy build a super-duper robot in a CAVE with NO TOOLS? Oh yeah, he also develops the world's most sophisticated power source while in the cave. ROFLMFAO

Post #: 207
Iron Man - 22/10/2008 12:12:48 AM   
AxelB

This truly is Downey Jr´s year and he has made one hell of a comeback. The star´s second greatest role of the year so far is in this film(the best being as Lazarus in Tropic Thunder) as the egotistical millionare Tony Stark whose privaliges change when he finds out that his technology is being used for evil doings and deeds, he is kidnapped by a middle eastern terrorist organisation that wants him to build a wepon for them. He builds a suit during his captivity that keeps him alive while making him the perfect war machine and escapes out of there cave fortress.
Tony Stark and Robert Downey Jr are so much alike in personality that it would be unorthodox to leave him out of an Iron Man film, he carries the film almost by himself but the film doesn´t need to be carried by one strength since it has so many thanks to great script writing and John Favrau´s direction. The main faults here are that the villian seems to be developed a little to late and fast wich leads to a final showdown that feels a tad too anti-climatic. Aside that the effects in that fight are great and well choreographed, the transition between computer generated effects and real things are very organic and feels very realistic so it helps a lot to sell a hero like Iron Man in battle.
Unmissable for the comic book movie fans and just for those who are looking into seeing a great superhero film.

Post #: 208
RE: Iron Man - 25/10/2008 2:20:27 AM   
TellThatMickHeJust

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Saw this the other day, and although I can understand people liking this for the fun and what Downey Jr., Bridges and Paltrow brought to the table, it's not quite as good as all the praise would have you believe, I thought. It is a very solid, entertaining two hours, but the direction and story for me let it down slightly. Storywise, this was probably due to it being an origin story, but with the direction, I don't feel Favreau is particularly accomplished yet. That may change, but it was solid but not impressive direction from him - not alot of stylisation or flair came through. Still a great way to pass two hours though, Downey Jr is just behind Christian Bale in how he's captured the spirit of his superhero and alter ego.

Totally agree with you, though enjoyable it is overrated.

< Message edited by TellThatMickHeJust -- 25/10/2008 2:25:49 AM >

"Well, nobody's perfect!"

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 209
RE: Iron Man - 25/10/2008 2:25:18 AM   
TellThatMickHeJust

I think it has the potential to spawn great sequels, but I did think it lacked something. The cast were great, particularly Downey Jr and I did like the way they established the character, but I thought the end was a bit of an anti climax.

"Well, nobody's perfect!"

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Iron Man Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI