Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Great Fun!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Great Fun! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great Fun! - 18/5/2008 5:49:40 PM   
www.motorcheck.ie

Great popcorn movie but without Downy Jr and Bridges could have been a real turkey. Don't be surprised if you find yourself rushing out to by a new audi after it. They're everywhere!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 151
Empire, The word is Awesome - 19/5/2008 5:13:23 PM   
john_fitzp

I read empire's review before I saw the movie and then I saw the movie, I thought wow that is awesome but did my lack of excitement due to empire's review help me enjoy it better. Then I realised I was still excited after the review and went to see it again and it was still awesome! It was so quick moving witty and fun that the plot although better than most was not relevant. Robbie D was awesome!, jeff bridges was awesome, Terence Howard was awesome.. and even Gwyneth Paltrow was awesome... The special effects were awesome, the oneliners in the script was awesome, the whole thing was awesome...

can no-one just enjoy a block buster anymore and how can this possibly not be higher in ratings than Spiderman (ruin the entire series) 3, attack of the clones, Not awesome...in fact complete rubbish.

you people need therapy... ;-) Iron Man on Blu ray Awesome, Iron Man 2 Awesome... perhaps Iron in the cinema again... awesome!

Post #: 152
Iron man - 19/5/2008 7:15:08 PM   
Hedgehog Nolan

Dont you just love the suit he is my favourite hero of all time. Good acting from Robert Downey Jr great choice to pick him as Tony and overall its a good action packed movie i loved it.

Post #: 153
Reviewed On my Blog - 19/5/2008 10:08:35 PM   
spikemonkey3000

Loved the film - check out my full review here:

www.ihatehowfakehollywoodis.blogspot.com

Post #: 154
Great fun - 20/5/2008 12:04:30 AM   
bretty

This is great fun from the beginning to the end and although there are flaws there are also high points. And blimey, there's a plot!
This brought back fond memories of reading the comics when I was a kid -worth the four stars for that alone!

Post #: 155
Reviewers being picky? I think so... - 20/5/2008 12:28:29 PM   
FoxDhoj

This is clearly the best superhero film that has ever reached the big screen, if not the best Marvel attempt. It holds both a serious action style with the comic elements created by the sensational Downey Jr. You can't get enough of him. This review at least deserves 4 stars, Iron Man really was better than the Spiderman and X-Men films, and the sequel will rise above further. Awesome stuff.

Post #: 156
Iron Man - 21/5/2008 5:10:46 PM   
trueborndjross

Probably the best thing about the film is Downey Jr who is brilliant as Tony Stark, but the rest of it is great as well. OK so it's full of stupid stuff but this is a Marvel movie after all so just kick back and enjoy it. For someone who wasn't too bothered about the prospect of an Iron Man movie, I can't wait for the next one.

Post #: 157
RE: IronMan Review - 24/5/2008 2:05:41 AM   
Paul2j

Really enjoyed this, solid backstory to start and carries on going well throughout. Perfect mix of action and story, and kept my attention throughout. The bad characters made sense (flawed logic behind their madness) which is always a great sign.

8/10
Post #: 158
RE: IronMan Review - 24/5/2008 4:51:55 PM   
Tech_Noir

Loads of fun!

I had no high expectation of yet another comic book movie and was iffy about Robery Downey in the lead but I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job.

Great to see John Favrau develop from Swingers and Made to this.

(in reply to Paul2j)
Post #: 159
RE: Iron Man - 25/5/2008 12:31:53 PM   
Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

Gotta say i loved this movie! just what i want from a summer blockbuster. Downey jnr is tony stark now, The best casting for ages in a superhero flick.
But does anyone else think for a guy who's gonna turn into war machine at some point in this francise, why did they pick a guy with a girls voice??
Loved the sam j cameo after the credits, but i thought somebody from the hulk movie was gonna turn up? Maybe it was edited out for the dvd??

What actually happened post credits?  I got dragged out as soon as it finished so missed this bit entirely

Its the other way around, Downey Jr is appearing as Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 160
RE: Iron Man - 25/5/2008 12:33:15 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Sorry the above post does not make sense!

Just wanted to check what actually happened in the post credits sequence?

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 161
IRON MAN - 25/5/2008 3:54:59 PM   
PaulC74

Thought this was a really good super hero film. Starts off alittle slow like most films of this type, but once Stark begins to build the suit the film really gets going. Downey jnr really makes the part his own and i hope there will be a sequel that ups the action a little more. Roll on the new Hulk & Batman movies.

< Message edited by PaulC74 -- 25/5/2008 3:58:33 PM >

Post #: 162
RE: IRON MAN - 25/5/2008 11:07:33 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I thought this was good. It's better than the likes of Daredevil, FF and the first X-Men movie. Although it plods along at times it is helped by a great cast and some wicked and snappy dialogue. Again as said before the majority of this films charm is down to Downey Jr. Had a lesser actor took on the role I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. Also I gotta say enough with after the credit scenes. They do my bloody head in when you have to sit through 15min of credits.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to PaulC74)
Post #: 163
well acted - 26/5/2008 1:13:36 PM   
muppet1979

very well done, robert downey junior is brilliant, gwyneth paltrow is excellent and jeff bridges really pulls of the bad guy persona brilliantly. all excited for the sequal!

Post #: 164
well acted - 26/5/2008 1:13:39 PM   
muppet1979

very well done, robert downey junior is brilliant, gwyneth paltrow is excellent and jeff bridges really pulls of the bad guy persona brilliantly. all excited for the sequal!

Post #: 165
- 26/5/2008 11:55:59 PM   
jamesbondguy

Iron Man
Dear, oh, dear. Growing up as a comics fan, one character I could never get much of a hold-on was Iron Man. With the exception of some great stuff with Tony as an alcoholic, writers of his comic have usually failed to make him interesting or anything more than a cliché. The same problems befall the makers of this film. This isn’t anything we haven’t seen done better before- much better. It’s bland and generic- the definition of the ‘cookie-cutter.’ Downey Jr gives it his all, but even he fails to bring much life to his 2D character- but he still gets an easy ride compared to his co-starts. Gwyneth Paltrow is given a nothing role- her character leaves absolutely no impression. The villain is almost as ridiculous as the story, which feels underdeveloped more than anything else. It’s a seriously botched attempt, and a major disappointment- I struggled to keep my eyes open for most of the film- particularly the muddily directed climatic fight sequence, and the big ball of nothing that is the middle of the film. Terrible.

Post #: 166
I - 26/5/2008 11:56:07 PM   
jamesbondguy

Triple post. Sorry.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 27/5/2008 9:42:29 AM >

Post #: 167
I - 26/5/2008 11:56:16 PM   
jamesbondguy

Triple post. Sorry.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 27/5/2008 9:43:12 AM >

Post #: 168
The best superhero movie since Batman Begins - 29/5/2008 2:09:12 AM   
Wild Tangent

Thoroughly entertaining. Terrific performances from all concerned, particularly Robert Downey Jr, and superb special effects make this film a wonderfully pleasant surprise, Jon Favreau should be proud of what he and his team have created.

Post #: 169
RE: The best superhero movie since Batman Begins - 1/6/2008 8:57:12 AM   
Darkknight0007

Really enjoyed it. Can't wait for Iron Man 2. 

(in reply to Wild Tangent)
Post #: 170
RE: IRON MAN:THE FIRST TRIUMPHANT HERO OF THE SUMMER!! - 1/6/2008 7:16:42 PM   
OneAndAHalfStars

Wonderful acting and really entertaining !

(in reply to Thirdmansam)
Post #: 171
- 2/6/2008 8:45:59 PM   
James Rednall

I thought this was excellent some fantastic action sequences. One of the best films of the summr looking forward to the sequel!!!

Post #: 172
Perfect casting - 3/6/2008 5:13:52 PM   
mentat72

I can't stand Robert Downey Jnr, but he is perfectly cast in this and by the end of the film I liked both Tony and RDJ. All 4 suits were very well designed and realised. My only concern is where the Tony Stark character will go from the end. I liked the character because he was a rich shit, let's hope becoming a new model citizen still allows him to act and be a dick.

Effects were very good, dialogoue well crafted and the not-so-subte introduction of SHIELD was good too.

And Stan Lee as Hugh Hefner? Hell, he derves some bunnies for all his hard work!

Post #: 173
Iron Man has kicked Indy's arse! - 4/6/2008 10:24:28 PM   
jimibadboi7

Summer 2008 so far...

Iron Man - 4 Stars

Indiana Jones 4 - 2 Stars

Speed Racer - 2 Stars

Post #: 174
RE: Iron Man has kicked Indy's arse! - 5/6/2008 3:06:05 PM   
primebhoy

Just been to see it last night, thought it was great! Downey was superb and cant imagine anyone else playing him!

Cant wait for IM2, the glimpse of the war machine costume and the introduction of s.h.i.e.l.d were great.

Anyone know if truth in the rumor that tony appears in the new hulk movie?!?! Thank god marvel started making their own films, Spidey 3 = Awful,
                       X-men 3 = Yawn
                      Iron Man = AWESOME!

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to jimibadboi7)
Post #: 175
RE: Iron Man has kicked Indy's arse! - 5/6/2008 3:08:47 PM   
Tech_Noir

I have to admit Iron Man was a lot more satisfying than Indy 4.

Although if Indy 4 as a whole mroe like the first 30-40 minutes it would be a different story.

Hell, Iron Man had Paltrow and I still enjoyed it - that says a lot.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 176
Not your average superhero film - 5/6/2008 9:50:14 PM   
JohnPaul1996

I liked everything in the film except the fight at the end.I thought it was a good cast,nothing amazing about this film

Post #: 177
3 for 20 - 6/6/2008 9:43:04 AM   
Karl Crutchley

What I call a 3 for 20 film. Don't buy it as soon as it comes on DVD, but worth waiting until its in a 3 for £20 promotion before getting it. It wasn't bad. Started out really well but I thought it lost its way somewhat after he escaped from his captors. And key plot points for the final battle were heavily signposted - SPOILERS!!! - icing up? his 2nd heart being returned to him by his secretary as a present?. The trip back to Afganistan to sort his captors out and liberate the villagers was so much more exciting than the final duel.This was a solid start to the characters movie franchise, I can see this being much better in the inevitable sequel. Not a bad way to waste 2 hours, just don't expect to take a lot away from it.

Post #: 178
- 11/6/2008 12:20:29 AM   
nclowe

Just got back from the cinema and I had an absolute blast. Loved every minute. RD Jr was brilliantly cast. Hurry up and release the dvd already!

Post #: 179
RE: - 13/6/2008 5:36:31 PM   
themarquis

While I enjoyed Iron Man, I've got to say, I'm baffled by the acclaim that's getting heaped on it, in particular from online sources like CHUD and Aintitcool, who seem to regard it as some kind of superhero Citizen Kane. The reviews I read online seem to have exhausted entire thesauruses in search of new superlatives to throw at it, and I just don't get it.

Favreau is, at absolute best, a competent director. No more, no less. He seems like a genuinely likeable guy with a lot of enthusiasm for the character, but I get the feeling that it's his willingness to openly court the fanboy market rather than his technical proficiency that generated a lot of pre-release goodwill towards this movie. His previous three - Made, Elf and Zathura - were hardly classics, and while Iron Man is an improvement on them, it's still lacking in visual flair and imagination. To me, he's on a par with guys like Brett Ratner (though for whatever reason, his name being attatched to a movie doesn't elicit the same feral outrage as Ratner's); he'll do a decent enough job in terms of entertainment, but the outcome is hardly revelatory. Kudos to him for convincing the studio heads to go with Downey Jr. as Stark, but as a film-maker, I've got to say I find him fairly pedestrian.

Downey Jr. is, without doubt, the best thing about the movie - without his performance, it would be totally forgettable - but as it drew closer and closer to its inevitable conclusion, the spark seemed to dissapear from the script and, by proxy, Stark's character. I agree with the Empire review that once the final suit is constructed, the scriptwriters seem to have reached an impasse that could only be surmounted by one of the most obvious final reels I've seen in a while. From his first appearance, Obidiah Stane's got 'BAD EGG' written through him like a stick of rock, and the final fight is rather brief and underwhelming.

The tone of the whole thing reminded me of Sam Raimi's first Spiderman; no bad thing in itself, but Iron Man feels somehow more lightweight and trivial than that film. From what I gather, Stark's alcoholism might feature prominently in further sequels, and while Hancock seems to have gotten there first, I think it'll make for a much more interesting sequel.

Overall, I'd agree with the three-star review, but I'm left scratching my head as to how, in a world of Batman Begins, X2 and Spiderman 2, anybody could concievably go any higher.

(in reply to nclowe)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Great Fun! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI