Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Iron Man

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Iron Man Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Iron Man - 9/5/2008 6:36:13 PM   
R W

Director: Jon Favreau
Screenwriters: Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby, Art Marcum, Matt Holloway
Starring: Robert Downey Jr, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Shaun Toub  

Synopsis
After a life-threatening incident, wealthy industrialist Tony Stark (Downey Jr) decides to create an armored suit to fight against his own weaponry from around the world.  

Review
After the success of previous superhero comics, such as Fantastic Four and most importantly Spider-Man, Marvel Comics' Stan Lee had the idea of the businessman superhero, based on the personality of the Aviator himself, Howard Hughes. The origin of this hero was set in the Vietnam War, where he tested his latest weaponry, in which he realizes will become a threat in the future. So he builds a mechanical suit that would be powered by his iron chest plate. This is the premise of the film that starts this year's season of summer blockbusters.  

As a fan of Iron Man, director Jon Favreau stays true to Lee's original creation, despite the setting of the origin story is now set in Afghanistan. Since he did not want to do a period piece, Favreau tries bringing a political message to the film about the idea of weapons of mass destruction in a post-9/11 world. However, as a film that truly succeeds on entertaining young audiences, this message doesn't particularly stand out.  

After hiring four screenwriters, including the two writers who adapted Children of Men, Favreau manages to make this comic book interpretation uniquely his own. This is due to the film's witty dialogue, which is very similar to Favreau's writing style from the independent classic Swingers. Since the director has announced that he will do a trilogy of the mechanical hero, this first installment follows the usual formula of every superhero film. The first half deals the hero's origin, while the second half climates with a face-off against the villain, who you will immediately identify with.

As the director of such family films as Elf and Zathura, Favreau successfully brings a heart of a child and the brains of an adult to such a mainstream film. While other directors such as Sam Raimi and Guillermo Del Toro always use shots that reflect the artistry of a comic book, Favreau barely uses this technique and shows a lot of realism in the action sequences. Since Transformers will influence future mecha films, at least Iron Man is smart enough when it comes to blowing things up.  

Robert Downey Jr, the actor who took on Chaplin and is a professional at playing crazies, is perfectly cast as the multi-billionaire industrialist. Downey, at times, is the movie as he is a total scene-stealer who uses his wittiness and seriousness at the same time. Reminder, Downey will reappear as Stark in the upcoming reboot of The Incredible Hulk.  

Terrence Howard, who plays Stark's best friend Rhodey, doesn't really get involved in the interaction of the main story, though he provides a lot of comedy with Downey. The best dramatic scenes come from Downey and Gwyneth Paltrow's portrayal of Pepper Potts because you do feel like love is in the air between the two. Jeff Bridges definitely shows himself as a bold two-faced Father Christmas who captures the theme of retribution. Since the characterizations aren't deep enough because of the establishment, we will know these characters better in the sequels.  

Verdict
Jon Favreau has brought us a very fun start for the summer blockbusters this year. It doesnít succeed as the Marvel equivalent to DCís Batman Begins, but with wit and intelligence, it doesnít fail.

< Message edited by R W -- 19/8/2008 3:48:54 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
RE: Iron Man - 9/5/2008 8:04:01 PM   
Caster

Your standard hero yarn enlivened by Downey jnr and Jon Favreau.  A fun two thirds is let down by the typical baddie battle at the end.  Very good up until that point though and Downey is top notch.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 122
RE: Iron Man - 10/5/2008 1:48:18 PM   
carlosantos

I was very disappointed. Obviously setting up the franchise is such a depressing tactic.  I thought Downey was great, as was Jeff, but it just had no momentum, nothing resembling a plot. The action scenes did not engage me.  The way he caught out the Ironmonger was juvenille.  So, so disappointed.

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 123
Iron Man - 10/5/2008 6:01:30 PM   
getfuckedstud

Good comic book movie that feels like a set up for a better sequel. Iron mans origins are updated well enough and the CGI is some of the best I have seen for a while. Cast is good and RDJ excels as Tony Stark.

Post #: 124
Come on Empire! - 10/5/2008 8:33:40 PM   
Ricorodrigeuz

This film is great. Everythng abou this is awesome. The acting is great. The story is great. The special effects are better than what the trailer suggests and the jokes add to its charm. Great viewing for all. One of Downey Jnr's best performances by far.

Post #: 125
Come on Empire! - 10/5/2008 8:54:25 PM   
Ricorodrigeuz

This film is great. Everythng abou this is awesome. The acting is great. The story is great. The special effects are better than what the trailer suggests and the jokes add to its charm. Great viewing for all. One of Downey Jnr's best performances by far.

Post #: 126
seriously, what movie were you watching? - 10/5/2008 9:37:21 PM   
PIPPA1983

I once went to watch "Silent Hill" on the basis of a 3 star review-i want those hours of my life back. Iron man, on the other hand, is not a 3 star movie, In my humble opinion it has massively restored the position of the comic book movie, one that was nearly destroyed by the inexorable piles of crap that were Spiderman 3 and Xmen-the last stand. I came out of this one having had a bloody good time, and viewed what will hopefully be the start of a very good franchise.

< Message edited by PIPPA1983 -- 10/5/2008 9:47:54 PM >

Post #: 127
RE: seriously, what movie were you watching? - 11/5/2008 3:16:44 AM   
fugaziuk

well heres scout taylor comptons (halloween remake) for what its worth:Scouts review

(in reply to PIPPA1983)
Post #: 128
My first review !! - 11/5/2008 8:52:36 AM   
Fantasea

Iron Man, to tell the truth (that's always the best policy) I wasn't planning on seeing this movie. But, my neice couldn't wait to see it, so I took her on openning night. I was impressed! A comic book movie for adults with enough action to please my neice. An excellent cast, with an unexpected on-screen chemistry between Downey and Paltrow. Although I wish Howard was given more to do.
The special effects were excellent. A great start to the summer movie season. You have to see this movie.

Post #: 129
Great effects not as fun as it should have been - 11/5/2008 1:10:17 PM   
Balloo the dog

Although the acting is good and the effects are astonishing, I was disappointed by the lack of fun. The dark almost political aspects of it i felt were ill placed in this type of movie, and althoguh Downey Jnr tries to insert as much humour as he can its as if he is constantly being told byt he director to tone it down. Good but could have been better.

Post #: 130
marvellious,Finally? - 12/5/2008 12:30:31 AM   
bdee11

Iron-man has finally given marvel something brilliant. the effects and downey jr really made this film. Which furthers the point you want something done right do it yourself good luck in the future marvel

Post #: 131
RE: Iron Man - 12/5/2008 10:35:24 AM   
ScottiE

Seen it and like it very much. 4 stars defo/

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to Clarence_Worley)
Post #: 132
RE: Iron Man - 12/5/2008 4:05:51 PM   
Chojin

my main gripe was WHY did he decide to make a new iron man model?

he doesn't find out about stark missiles being sold overseas until he's well in to production.

There was a sudden change where he stopped weapon production for stark but what purpose was the new suit going to serve? was it just for fun - then got a purpose once the weapons were sold?

i just think that he should have found out about the weapons THEN started production, it would have made more sense and given him a goal earlier on.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 12/5/2008 4:06:46 PM >

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 133
Did what id said on the tin! - 12/5/2008 4:09:53 PM   
landedurbin

Loved it. the only reason it does'nt get 5 stars is because it is so totally a genra film that I could understand some people not loving it. Those people are of course Jocks and I still resent that some of them know who Frank Miller is and what 300 was. They should have been our little nerdy secret. Like Watchmen.

Post #: 134
Only Three Stars?!! - 13/5/2008 12:23:43 AM   
MadMatt

Empire are getting very stingy of late. I saw this today and loved every minute; a breath of fresh air for the sub-genre in my humble opinion. Favreau and co managed the neat trick of taking the material seriously without resorting to tiresome angst and gloom. Iron Man has dry wit, engaging performances and flawless craftsmanship... what's not to like? Pure fun from start to finish, so I'll give it a five. Can't wait for the next installment!

Post #: 135
Three? No Frickin' Way! - 13/5/2008 5:30:36 PM   
supermaddy

Empire, you are absolutley right in all but one respect- three stars? Yes, the ending lacked the welly we so looked forward too, but amid the mediocre action scenes, all was not lost and instead the hilarity and emotion comes to the fore- this is one final scene that, while lacking the "ooh action" impact, doesn't lose sight of its actors. Which is nice. And certainly refreshing.
To deny it the single star more it deserves, however, for being plain good old fun, is just CEO mean :P

Post #: 136
Iron Man - 14/5/2008 11:51:29 AM   
qualidad

Full of holes but enjoyable none the less.

Post #: 137
Hated it - 14/5/2008 1:05:27 PM   
missphoenix

I can see why others would enjoy it, but I hated it. The CGI was too plasticky (not sure if that's a word), the story bored the hell out of me and I found myself not engaging in the plot or caring about the characters. I didn't like a single one of the characters in fact, and found Downey Jnr's Stark to be relentlessly annoying and too smarmy. Sorry, just couldn't stand it. Stayed until the end to see if it improved but it didn't. But if you love these sort of films I'm sure you'll like it. It just left me with a flat feeling.

Post #: 138
Great...not fantastic! - 15/5/2008 2:20:23 PM   
Jayofeen

I'd say three stars is fair. The action was lacking in...well, let's face it...duration!! This can be true for a lot of origin stories (Batman Begins anyone?) but the Iron Man origin story is hardly complex! Enjoyable and fun, but roll on Iron Man 2

Post #: 139
Great...not fantastic! - 15/5/2008 2:20:45 PM   
Jayofeen

I'd say three stars is fair. The action was lacking in...well, let's face it...duration!! This can be true for a lot of origin stories (Batman Begins anyone?) but the Iron Man origin story is hardly complex! Enjoyable and fun, but roll on Iron Man 2

Post #: 140
IRON MAN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 15/5/2008 6:33:24 PM   
IRON MAN

this film has been brilliantly done and the plot was a bit thin but still it was enjoyable to watch.

Post #: 141
Only three stars?! - 16/5/2008 6:58:13 PM   
JohnnyWalker2001

This is definitely a four star movie. Infact it's the four star movie that all other four star movies should be judged. For what it is; fun, science fiction, super-hero adventure, it is absolutely perfect. Sure it doesn't touch on any "heavy" topics, but does every film have to? If only every "pop corn" movie this enjoyable. Take that extra star you gave Stargate and put it here!

Post #: 142
Wrong! Four stars Empire! - 16/5/2008 10:08:56 PM   
JohnnyWalker2001

You need to re-think your rating!

Post #: 143
Same rating as Ghost Rider....? - 16/5/2008 10:10:40 PM   
JohnnyWalker2001

Are you crazy?!

Post #: 144
RE: Iron Man - 16/5/2008 11:21:43 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Saw this the other day, and although I can understand people liking this for the fun and what Downey Jr., Bridges and Paltrow brought to the table, it's not quite as good as all the praise would have you believe, I thought. It is a very solid, entertaining two hours, but the direction and story for me let it down slightly. Storywise, this was probably due to it being an origin story, but with the direction, I don't feel Favreau is particularly accomplished yet. That may change, but it was solid but not impressive direction from him - not alot of stylisation or flair came through. Still a great way to pass two hours though, Downey Jr is just behind Christian Bale in how he's captured the spirit of his superhero and alter ego.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 17/5/2008 2:24:11 AM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to JohnnyWalker2001)
Post #: 145
RE: Iron Man - 17/5/2008 1:50:34 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

my main gripe was WHY did he decide to make a new iron man model?

he doesn't find out about stark missiles being sold overseas until he's well in to production.

There was a sudden change where he stopped weapon production for stark but what purpose was the new suit going to serve? was it just for fun - then got a purpose once the weapons were sold?

i just think that he should have found out about the weapons THEN started production, it would have made more sense and given him a goal earlier on.

He planned to destroy all of his wepons even before he found out how the terrorists got his wepons in the first place I think. Hence improving the suit. Also probaly because...he could.
I saw it today. Solid 3 stars I think. Though I really enjoyed it. Almost a 4 but I had few problems with it. Over all great way to spend two hours. Well casted I think and more than enough to look forward to for future installments.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 146
RE: Iron Man - 17/5/2008 9:59:08 AM   
Diggler

I saw it today, too. I normally wait a few weeks until a blockbuster has been out to let the kids see it and move on to another film. There were only about 10 of us at the showing so there was no talking, mobile phones or any other type of distraction.

I thought it was great entertainment to be honest. The design of the Iron Man suit(s) looked amazing and Robert Downey Jr was perfectly cast as Tony Stark.

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 147
RE: Iron Man - 17/5/2008 2:19:37 PM   
skeletonjack

Good fun and a great performance by Downey Jr, a little bit more action wouldn't have gone amiss though. 3 Stars

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 148
RE: Iron Man - 17/5/2008 5:32:41 PM   
rich

It was pretty good. The cast was great, as were most of the effects etc. but it had pacing problems, being too much set up and not enough action - a third battle sequence with the final suit would have kept it moving along. But still, a solid movie - much like X-men and Spider-man I'm sure the sequel will be an improvement now the origin is done with. 3/5

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 149
IRON MAN:THE FIRST TRIUMPHANT HERO OF THE SUMMER!! - 18/5/2008 5:44:56 PM   
Thirdmansam

iron man has to hold the flag for being one of superhero movies for having the alter ego more interesting than the hero which was all done to robert downey jr's genius portrayal of tony stark,reinforced by a pedigree of supporting talent,notably gweneth paltrow as stark's assistant amusingly named pepper potts who sizzles in the witty interplay between her and downey jr.iron man is a thorougly enjoyable film while though burdened with the prospect of an origin story still remains an entertaining and enjoyable feature although the film does have pacing problems,spending too much time on the set up and the overall feature does suffer from lack of action sequences which,while not fatal does hurt the film especially the brief action sequences notably iron man's visit to afganistan only illustrates what the fim could of been in terms of action,the same can be said for the entertaining but brief showdown between downey jr.'s iron man and jeff bridges satisfyingly villianous though hardly subtle villian but starks early attempts to fine tune his suit do prove to be amusing and entertaining with starks various high tech machinery proving to be a surprising sorce of comic relief. while the film has it flaws its hard to find faults with a fim whose good points tower over the bad ones.bring on Iron man 2!

< Message edited by Thirdmansam -- 19/5/2008 7:27:36 PM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Iron Man Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI