Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Iron Man

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Iron Man Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 12:48:07 PM   
Dave B

The thing that strikes you most about the film is how obvious it is that the director comes from a comedy, rather than action, background. I wasn't impressed with the action on display but for once it didn't matter. It was refreshing to see a blockbuster focus on comedy rather than action and I enjoyed this film a lot because of it. The casting of Downey Jr. was spot on and while there's nothing overly complex or original about the film, its a very enjoyable couple of hours.

The scene after the credits is awesome as well. Geek heaven.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 31
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 12:52:54 PM   
Starscream

What has happened to this thread?  Most of it has gone

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 32
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 1:19:04 PM   
Mr Terrific

I was pleasantly suprised by this. It was much better than I thought it would be. The casting of Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark was spot on as many have said before me.

He injects, humour, charisma and a somewhat naive vulnerability into the character.
The comedy beats within the film, go alongside scenes of drama and tension perfectly. The cinema crowd I saw it with were enjoying themselves immensely.
I unlike some reviewers before me did not have any problem with the CGI in the film, it was competent, servicable and did not take away anything from the action scenes.

My only complaint with the film is that it could have done with being slightly more darker. I felt some scenes were lightened and trimmed down to get it a 12. Slightly more violence showing the repurcussions of Tony Stark's choices would have added more of an edge to the film. I also felt the film kind of lost its focus after Tony Stark "properly" becomes Ironman.

A totally enjoyable film and I await Starks next appearance. More films of this calibre will do Marvel Studios alot of good.

(Most probably in The Incredible Hulk.)

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 33
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 1:23:26 PM   
mysterious

Don't believe the reviews, this was terrific stuff....how can Empire justufy giving this 3 stars, when thrash like Superman Returns gets 5 stars 

"Lets put a smmile on that facce!"

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 34
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 1:39:34 PM   
Hobbes79

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

There's a what now??

Means when I go and see it again I'll just have to hang back until the credits end.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 35
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 1:53:59 PM   
sanchia

Wasn't this thread 8 pages long this morning?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hobbes79)
Post #: 36
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 4:26:01 PM   
TheGodfather

Just saw it last night and thought it was great! My mini-review:

Iron Man
What an excellent this was. 120 minutes of awesome popcorn entertainment with an extreme high pace. None of the 120 minutes is boring. Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant in the leading part and hits the right tone with his black-comical sense of humor. You really can`t imagine anybody else in the role.
The action sequences look good and are highly entertaining.
Jon Favreaus bring with this action hero the first real blockbuster of the year.
And he succeeds without a doubt.

8,0/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 37
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 4:27:48 PM   
TheGodfather

Just saw it last night and thought it was great! My mini-review:

Iron Man
What an excellent this was. 120 minutes of awesome popcorn entertainment with an extreme high pace. None of the 120 minutes is boring. Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant in the leading part and hits the right tone with his black-comical sense of humor. You really can`t imagine anybody else in the role.
The action sequences look good and are highly entertaining.
Jon Favreaus bring with this action hero the first real blockbuster of the year.
And he succeeds without a doubt.

8,0/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 38
Only 3 stars? - 4/5/2008 5:02:13 PM   
sinead

This film was brilliant! It may have been an origin story but why does that have to be a drawback, I like to learn how the characters become superheroes, especially when it's interesting like Iron Man in that he doesn't have powers, he creates the suit and the hero. Also, Robert Downey Jr proved he was worth Favreau fighting his corner. It was funny, well cast and the action sequences were immense, bring on the sequel. I'm seeing it again next week!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 39
Iron Man - 4/5/2008 6:40:32 PM   
agent cooper

Just got back from my screening, Well I can see why Empire is being cautious, what if DK isn't quite a 5 in their eyes but it's  considerably bettter than Iron Man, may cause a problem, what with Star Wars prequelgate and the turnaround on the reviews for the first 2 ( still highly overrated at 3 stars mind). I was willing to let it go but then I got to see Transformers last night and that got 4 stars, why oh why 2 plus hours of a Bay cheese fest. Whereas Iron Man was free of cheese a great cast with hugely charaismatic lead. I think their review is pretty fair although I don't see as much wrong with it nd far as origin movies go it was as sucessful as Xmen for me, it was thoroughly entertaing and put a big wide smile on my face.

Transformers was just ID4, as much cheese, poorly drawn characters and an awful Zimmer like score. Yet Empire deems this dreck with 4 stars, this were I have an issue, I guess we're never gonna agree with the way they review but than TF 4 stars to IM 3 stars just grates a little. Iron Man for me was an 7.5 out of 10 movie and a thoroughly entertaining one at that.

< Message edited by agent cooper -- 4/5/2008 6:44:47 PM >

Post #: 40
Better than expected - 4/5/2008 7:09:21 PM   
Lord Midas

Come on Empire. Why so cautious. This film was fun from start to finish. Even the end battle ,though short, was still great.

Watch and enjoy.

Post #: 41
what????? - 4/5/2008 7:23:45 PM   
rsh1978

Only 3 stars shame on you. What a movie. Loved it. It rocked. RDJ was inspired. Nice nods to shield. What a scene after the credits. Nearly filled my pants. Geekgasm a plenty WOW

Post #: 42
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 8:04:41 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbes79

quote:

There's a what now??

Means when I go and see it again I'll just have to hang back until the credits end.

What the hell was that then?! Missed it!!!

Damn good film, by the way.  Three stars was far to little.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Hobbes79)
Post #: 43
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 8:27:43 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbes79

quote:

There's a what now??

What the hell was that then?! Missed it!!!

Damn good film, by the way.  Three stars was far to little.

Yup worth the admission price alone.

Oh, and awesome film- exhilarating action, Downey Jr.'s brilliant in the title role, and a crisp script.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 44
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 8:54:43 PM   
pettsy

Seeing as the forum seems to have swallowed a lot of posts on this thread, I'll repeat the question I asked earlier:

While staying for the after-credits sequence (cheers for the heads up there) I saw Tom Morello's name pop up on the credits. Was this the Tom Morello? If so, I didn't see him - can anyone tell me where he is?

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 45
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 9:16:24 PM   
Larry of Arabia

According to the Hard Rock Chick website:

quote:

Tom Morello is Insurgent #5 in Iron Man. When Tony Stark first gets in the suit, and the shield light powers up, the insurgent standing next to him is Mr. Morello.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 46
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 9:22:09 PM   
pettsy

I'm gonna have to check that out if I see it again. Cheers Larry. Must have been the lack of guitar!

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 47
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 9:28:19 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: pettsy

While staying for the after-credits sequence (cheers for the heads up there)

Someone tell me what happened, or I'll start stomping my feet!!

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 48
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 9:38:43 PM   
pettsy

Sorry, you'll have to go watch it again

Check your PMs, Wedge.

< Message edited by pettsy -- 4/5/2008 9:41:48 PM >

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 49
Superb - 4/5/2008 9:48:19 PM   
Why so Serious?

Iron Man will be a fantastic series of films as this is a great introduction - the casting is brilliant but definetly Robert Downey Jr steels the show as the captivating Iron Man! Iron Man 2 please!

Post #: 50
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 9:50:37 PM   
Scruffybobby

I enjoyed this film. It's an entertaining couple of hours with a flawed, likeable hero (superbly played by a flawed, likeable star), some great effects and some exciting action. Overall though it's not much more than that - the battle against the supersize Ironman (or whatver you call him) just seemed a bit underwhelming. The film has the same feel as the first X-Men that it's the set up for a a series - a big budget pilot episode with all the best stuff to come.

Its strength is in its cast. Downey is great as Stark, giving him some real shading. Brdiges manages to make the most of a underwritten role as does Gwyneth Paltrow - her best scenes being in the her flirty exchanges with Downey. 

If it is just a pilot though it's a promising one - and the final scene whets the appetite for a sequel (as does the other final scene). Roll on part 2.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 51
RE: Iron Man - 4/5/2008 11:58:17 PM   
nicholsonsmhead

I'll usually watch any old shite during blockbuster season (I once sat through Stuart Little 2) but I was looking forward to Iron Man in a sort of 'It'll do 'til Indy and TDK' sort of way.

Going in and taking my seat, I realised with horror that 'Elvis Ain't Dead' by Scouting For Girls was being played in before the ads and trailers.  Spirits were low and I needed cheering up.  Who would answer my call?

Luckily, it was Robert Downey Jr.  Iron Man was in no way a classic, but for two hours I was entertained and   coming from someone who's sat through Death Proof, you'll understand that even that is too much to ask for sometimes.  Thank God the film had Downey Jr and Bridges because Terrence Howard seemed to think he was in a school play and Paltrow has all the charisma of wet cardboard.

The Onion's gag about the trailer being made into a movie was pretty much on the money as I'd seen more or less all the money shots beforehand, but there was good stuff in the meantime, usually from the Downey Jr and Bridges (Bridges' highpoint being him kicking off on a lowly scientist).  It's a sign of how good the former is that he can be the main focus point of such a film for so long without becoming boring.  The ending was very rushed and seemed to be added on as an afterthought, but the last line was a killer.

It was three stars all the way for me, but simply for the fact that it got me through that harrowing 'Just Heard Scouting For Girls' period, I'll give it four. 

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 52
RE: Iron Man - 5/5/2008 12:01:07 AM   
Reidy

Well I was pretty impressed with that.

Not sure what I was expecting, had scanned over the Empire review and thought that it was going to be a bit indifferent, but I was pleasantly suprised.

A really entertaining, enjoyable film, and Robert Downey Jr was superb as Tony Stark.

Quite enjoyed the end scene as well, and the bit after the credits.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 53
RE: Iron Man - 5/5/2008 12:17:10 AM   
Frank Castle

Think maybe most of the post gone down to major spoiling about the after credits scene?
Anyway ironman is fantastic fun and a 4 star movie if i ever seen 1. Downey is superb as stark and prob adds an extra star just for him alone.
Only gripe why the hell the future war machine have such a girly voice??? thats not how i would imagine him!!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 54
Iron Man is much better than I expected - 5/5/2008 3:13:39 AM   
Philstubbs

Great story, acting (for a change in this kind of film), dialogue, and vfx , 5 stars, no wonder its cleaning up at the box office! Who saw that coming?
I disagree with Empire's review though and I do feel they are becoming predictable.

Here's my prediction of Empire's future reviews-

The Incredible Hulk-2 stars

Indiana Jones -4 stars

The Dark Knight-5 stars

Hellboy 2-3 stars.

Post #: 55
RE: Iron Man is much better than I expected - 5/5/2008 4:30:10 AM   
dracovir

I really quite enjoyed this film.  Entertaining, and pretty brave with Extremist Afghans as villains given the current international political climate.  I don't usually disagree with Empire reviews, but this has to be at least a 4/5.  The whole 'now we got the origin out of the way, here's a new enemy that just pops up in the last act' thing was way off the mark - it had been alluded to for most of the film, and fitted in with the film's story pretty brilliantly.  Although the enemy reveal was a tad predicatable, the unveiling of the twist was, however, a stroke of genious (one word (highlight for potential spoiler): 'translate').

Well scripted, brilliantly acted, Downy Jr owns the film with gleeful ease whilst Paltrow, Bridges et al provide excellent support (given the genre) this film for me hit all the right buttons in the right order.  I can only hope this film is not forgotten amid the upcoming slate of blockbusters.

< Message edited by dracovir -- 5/5/2008 4:31:16 AM >

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Philstubbs)
Post #: 56
RE: Iron Man is much better than I expected - 5/5/2008 10:09:24 AM   
livewire

Deffinate 4 stars in my opinion.

RDJ was outstanding the whole way through as was jeff " the dude" bridges. The effects looked outstanding and as others have stated on other posts this was an origins story so there was a lot of material to be covered just to apease the fanboys. I wasn't a major follower ot the Iron man comic book series but knew most of the key points and i felt this movie ticked all of the boxes. There were some outstanding oneliners throughout the film with a great mix of humour and Chemistry between paltrow & Downy.All in all, a great evenings entertainment. One thing i would change for the sequel would be terence howard. great in other films but he ain't no war machine.

RDJ is deffinately back on form so roll on tropic thunder.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 57
4 STARS! - 5/5/2008 11:13:32 AM   
jimibadboi7

Head on over to Dark Horizons.com....there is a great piece on accurate ratings of super hero movies...i think they used the rating out of 10 on rotten tomatoes...not the inaccurate percentage...

Top movies:
Spider-Man 2
Superman (1978)
Batman Begins
IRON MAN!

4th best super hero movie ever?! darn tootin! this film needs 4 stars!

Post #: 58
A pleasant surprise - 5/5/2008 1:11:26 PM   
mighty mick

I'll be honest, I was not expecting to like Iron Man. I'm just a fan of everything Marvel and occasionally try to cath superhero films down at the local Odeon... But I must say, it's so nice to be surprised once in a while! From the opening minutes this film did everything right: simple (but by no means dumb) plot, breathtaking action scenes, excellent comedy timing, a crcking soundtrack and a compelling character ensemble headed by the superb Robert Downey Jr. Plus, Favreau even found the time to throw in some poltical subtexts, which is by no means unwelcome in a summer blockbuster. Let's just hope and pray The Incredible Hulk is just as good...

Post #: 59
RE: Iron Man - 5/5/2008 1:40:03 PM   
Axel Foley

Iron Man is an enjoyable film, whether or not it delivers anything much new, it at least provides it with a polish and a level of wit missing from most recent blockbusters. Robert Downey Jr makes for a charismatic and frequently amusing hero, throwing a variety of quips at his various co-stars, from the straight-laced assistant Pepper Potts to his pilot buddy Rhodey (most memorably while engaged in a dog fight with a pair of F16s) and even playfully mocking his armed escort in the badlands of Afghanistan (giving the subsequent turnaround more impact).

The final act does rather descend into a fairly uninvolving robot on robot slam, but getting there is plenty of fun. Even while held captive by Afghan warlords Downey Jr's Tony Stark can't help but throw out the curveballs and his relationship with fellow prisoner and saviour Yinsen is all the more believable for it. The development of the mark I Iron Man suit, in A-Team style (a blow torch, some scrap metal sheets and a mini-generator) unfolds in tense enough fashion, with the escape being one of the films best action sequences (in fairness there isn't much else to top it).

Most surprisingly of all it makes a more accurate point about America's place in the world and to terrorism, than the dull supposed serious cinema of the last year (the picture of present day Afghanistan rang more of a bell for me than the non-event of Lions for Lambs). It could even be argued that Stark is a proxy for the regime that armed the likes of Al-Qaeda and then watched in horror as those weapons were turned back at them. And though not much dwelled on I liked that he is a patriot who ends up conflicted with what his weaponry could or should be used for.

Ultimately, this is intended to be fun and when delivered without the cod-serious tone and cluttered plotting that dogged many of last year's event pictures is well worth the entrance fee.

quote:

The thing that strikes you most about the film is how obvious it is that the director comes from a comedy, rather than action, background. I wasn't impressed with the action on display but for once it didn't matter. It was refreshing to see a blockbuster focus on comedy rather than action and I enjoyed this film a lot because of it. The casting of Downey Jr. was spot on and while there's nothing overly complex or original about the film, its a very enjoyable couple of hours.

I think Favreau did a great job in taking the focus away from action and visual effects (the effects themselves are still pretty amazing though) and going for more humour and Downey Jr is an engaging hero without need for all the darkness and demons that seems to bog down a lot of the other series. I do wish he'd held that tone all the way, as the robot wrestling wasn't great, but still a refreshing change I feel.

Oh and I'm glad that I read this forum beofre I saw the film, as I'd probably have missed that seen. Hearing that voice especially when shadowed...

< Message edited by Axel Foley -- 5/5/2008 1:42:25 PM >

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Iron Man Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI