Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ho-hum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Special Forums] >> Game Reviews >> Ho-hum Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ho-hum - 21/5/2008 4:38:48 PM   
monkfishjoe

This was a game I was waiting for, for a long time. The more I read, the more excited i got, starting to believe that this was going to be the truest 'next-gen' title released so far. Well...it is...and it isn't. It's undeniable that the tech behind this game is amazing (though not without it's flaws), but at the end of the day, it's still a GTA game and there's the rub. GTA games are great for about 6 hours. Once the initial rush of exploringthe new city has worn off, it's into the grind of the missions. Fair play to Rockstar for adding some variety, but there is still far too many fetch and carry missions and vanilla asassiations (and the missions that involve chases on motorbikes are a pig). Also the structure is too punative. If you fail you have to go right back to the start of the mission (including the long driving sections). I find nothing compelling enough to make me go through the process more than 3 times in one sitting. I find myself failing a mission a few times, getting bored, running around destroying things, getting bored, then playing Mario Kart instead.

Like I said the tech is amazing. Rockstar have created the closest thing to a 'living, breathing world', which is great to play in for a bit (particularly when you see moments of the Euphoria engine working), but again it's a bit of a depressing world...

All in all if you love GTA, excellent, if not then don't bother

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Ho-hum - 27/5/2008 7:41:34 PM   
Diggler

One of the best if not the best game on the 360.

I'm 30hrs in at the moment and I've only completed 32%. Not once has it dragged and I reckon I'll still be playing this at Christmas.

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to monkfishjoe)
Post #: 32
WOW!!! - 29/5/2008 1:37:00 AM   
luke whitticase

im still getting into the games 2nd chapter, and so far this experience doesn't wear out!
and OMG, the graphics on PS3 with a 42inch HD ready TV are blowing my mind right now! got to go, work to be done...

Post #: 33
RE: WOW!!! - 29/5/2008 6:59:43 PM   
Darkknight0007

It lived upto my expectations of being a really good game. Thing I like about GTA series is there is always plenty to do.

< Message edited by Darkknight0007 -- 29/5/2008 7:00:20 PM >

(in reply to luke whitticase)
Post #: 34
RE: WOW!!! - 29/5/2008 7:11:37 PM   
TrailMix

GTA is a really great game, but as excited as I was when the game came out, it has kind of wore off on me. I honestly haven't played the game in only a week because I feel like the missions become somewhat monotonous. Basically, its drive to some enemies location, kill that enemy, avoid cops and drive back to safe house. It's still a great game though and I am sure I will start playing again soon.

(in reply to Darkknight0007)
Post #: 35
Still not bored of it - 4/6/2008 4:34:41 PM   
Burry83

I haven't played GTA for a few days and am getting withdrawal symptoms. I loved the bank heist mission and was glad when i died down in the subway as I got to watch the cut scenes again (the acting was ace and you could feel the intensity). The game as a whole is a great experience and although I can appreciate everyone saying its repetitive I personally never got bored the missions.

Post #: 36
Still not bored of it - 4/6/2008 4:34:42 PM   
Burry83

I haven't played GTA for a few days and am getting withdrawal symptoms. I loved the bank heist mission and was glad when i died down in the subway as I got to watch the cut scenes again (the acting was ace and you could feel the intensity). The game as a whole is a great experience and although I can appreciate everyone saying its repetitive I personally never got bored the missions.

Post #: 37
RE: Still not bored of it - 11/6/2008 6:45:08 PM   
jcthefirst

While I love the main game, I find the multiplayr dull, and not very well implemented either. The lobby system is a mess. The Halo and CoD4 lobbies are far superior.

I cannot fault the main game though. Top rate stuff.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Burry83)
Post #: 38
RE: GTA 4 - 11/7/2008 12:30:33 AM   
Lang

I  wonder if this franchise has peaked......i mean how can it better itself?

I wasnt a big fan..........lets hope for a return to the 80's and a much bigger Vice City

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 39
RE: WOW!!! - 13/7/2008 1:04:36 AM   
Spectator of Suicide

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrailMix

GTA is a really great game, but as excited as I was when the game came out, it has kind of wore off on me. I honestly haven't played the game in only a week because I feel like the missions become somewhat monotonous. Basically, its drive to some enemies location, kill that enemy, avoid cops and drive back to safe house. It's still a great game though and I am sure I will start playing again soon.

True. Not even close to being the Best Game of the Year, more like Overhyped Game of the Year.

Chasing people in vehicles is a pain in the ass, due to the awful vehicle handling.

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to TrailMix)
Post #: 40
Monkfishjoe (Bottom of the page) is gay!! Ha - 24/8/2008 8:28:10 PM   
CD Empire

Loved it. Easily best game of the century. Truly incredible. Amazing graphics, cars, guns, everything. Packie's the coolest character. Also anyone who thinks otherwise will die.....slooow!

Post #: 41
- 31/8/2008 12:09:12 AM   
malrey06

An easy to complete game that was fun.
But I did get bored half way through and got pretty sick of it after a month or 2.
But all in all OK!

Post #: 42
ok - 15/9/2008 4:30:46 PM   
bernardben

the gaming at first was good and simple however like all games it got more difficult, so difficult im finding it very hard to complete the game now, however the online experience is amazing one of the best online games apart from COD4 ofcourse.

Post #: 43
Grand Theft Auto IV... The Best GTA Game Ever And The B... - 4/5/2009 8:01:59 PM   
23mike95

Grand Theft Auto IV, GTA IV For Short, Is The Best GTA Game Of All Time, If Not, The Best Xbox 360 Game Of All Time, For Sure. It Is Amazing. Even Better Than San Andreas. Now That Was A Good Game, Seeing As It Was Full Of Loads Of Things To Do, Such As, Flying Airplanes, Gambling And Even Dancing. Rockstar Had To Do Much Better Than That To Win Our Hearts Again.

The Plot:
You Play As Niko Bellic, Who Has Literally Come Off The Boat From East Europe. You Meet His Cousin, Roman Bellic, Who Has Been Living In Liverty City, America For Years And Has Lied About Everything, Including Money, Big Sports Cars And Big Houses. So Straight From The Start, We Know This Adventure Isn't Going To Be Too Glamorous. You Help Roman Pay Off Debts, Then You Meet His Associates, You Work For Them, By Killing, Driving And Even Running... Sometimes, You Meet They're Associates And It Goes On Like That Until The End. A New Feature Of This Game Is That You Can Choose Your Story, Weather To Kill Someone, Or Leave Them Alive, But Don't Get Too Excited Though, That's Only Some Of Them. What I Think Of The Plot: A Very Good Plot, That Makes The San Andreas Plot Look Too Big And Pointless. I Would Give This Aspect Of The Game, 5/5.
Features:
OK, We All Know That GTA Games Always Have Cool Features... And The Most Popular Feature Of Every GTA Game Is That You Have The Freedom To Do Missions When You Want To, Giving You The Freedom To Drive, Walk, Swim Or Fly Around To Anywhere In These Amazing Worlds. Like San Andreas, You Can Customise Your Character. You Can't Change His Hair Style, Or Give Him Any Tatoos This Time Round, But You Can Still Change His Clothes... Which Is Quite Cool, I Must Admit. You Can Drink-Drive Now, By Taking A Friend Out And Getting Really, Really Drunk (The Camera Is Unsteady And Niko Is All Over The Place), It Really Puts You Off It, Actually. You Can Also Have Girlfriends, Take Them Out, You Now Have The Internet... And This Is A Huge Aspect Of The Game, Seeing As Some Of The Brucie Missions And Most Of The Car Export Missions Require The Computer. There Are Over 100 Different Fictional Websites. Niko's Mobile Phone Is Now A Very Important Aspect Of The Game, Without It The Game Would Be Hard. The Phone Is Your Portal To Do Activities With Friends And Prank Call The Cops. The Police System Has Been Totally Reworked, Seeing As You Have To Get Out Of The "Wanted Zone" Too Escape Those Blue Suited Menaces. People Walk Like Real-Life People Now. They Talk, The Can Get Shoved, Shot And Even Fly... When Hit By A Car At 120 Miles Per Hour. This Game Locks San Andreas Up In A Cupboard And Throws Away The Key. This Game Is Much Better Looking Than Any Previous GTA Game Too, The Graphics Are Amazing, Nearly Life-Like. The Lights Is What Makes It So Good. Light Reflects Now. Cars Have Weight And Trees Can Not Be Knocked Over Just By Tapping Them. This Game Is Truly An Amazing One. Multiplayer Is Amazing. You Can Control Everything, Including Wheather, Cops And Even Traffic!!! I Have Never Played It, But I Have Read Up About It In My Strategy Guide. You Must Buy This Game Wheather You're Looking For A GTA Game Unlike Any Other, A Fun Game Or You're Just Desperate To Drive A Car And Blow Something Up. Sure It's Violent, Sexist And Is Full Of Foul Language, But You've Got To Admit This Game Is The Best Video Game To Come Out On The Xbox 360 System. I Advise All Of You To Buy This Game, For The Sheer Enjoyment Of It, For The Sheer Fun Of It And Most Of All, For The Sheer Entertainment Of Watching A Cop Roll On The Floor. 5/5.

Post #: 44
gta - 5/12/2011 4:52:02 AM   
antosh25

oh yes......its that good.

Post #: 45
Lawbreaking's Never Been So Much Fun - 25/1/2012 3:38:57 PM   
blaud

Grand Theft Auto IV is basically the Grand Theft Auto you know and love, just done with better graphics and new characters. Gameplay is well developed with a useful Gears Of War-esque cover system. Exploring Liberty City is a wonderful experience, and one that one doesn't tire of easily. Graphics aren't without flaws, but for the most part, textures and landscapes look gorgeous. Character's don't always look lifelike and there is a rather lot of pop-in, but this really only occurs when in buildings or in vehicles. Vehicles themselves handle realistically and have genuine weight to their handling, which is nice. The story is okay, but it does play second fiddle to the gameplay, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that thestory isn't as interesting as it should be, and as a result, the moral choices you have to make don't feel like they carry any real weight. Missions are, for the most part, glorified fetch quests, but they're always a lot of fun. Aside from these minor niggles though, GTAIV is an exciting, fun action game with lots of touches and a startling amount of depth. Must play for fans of the series, or fans of action games in general.

Post #: 46
What's so great about it? - 30/9/2013 3:53:07 AM   
Jericho117

What is so great about GTA IV? Well, the answer is nothing. All you get to do is run around, kill pedestrians, cops, go too strip clubs, have a lap dance and get jerked off in your car (not to mention when your not doing anything wrong the cops come after you, and when you surrender they shoot at you, no wonder cops don't like this game, it makes them look bad) Overall a sucky game. Screw you, Rockstar.

Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Special Forums] >> Game Reviews >> Ho-hum Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI