Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 8:26:40 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: ukacidman

Magnolia for me.  Ive seen it 2 or 3 times. apart from the start. its just boring.

Brokenback mountain. Im sorry but its crap. 

Exactly the two I was going to post. 

I've said it plenty of times before, but the hype surrounding Brokeback in particular made me really angry once I'd actually seen it and was sorely disappointed by it. It's a difficult one to explain as I wouldn't go as far to say it was 'crap'. I don't think I've ever said it is a bad film per se, because I think you'd be hard pushed to label it 'bad' when you compare it to some of the monstrosities out there passing as films. I just found it incredibly tedious, mundane,  and I never became emotionally invested in either of the leads. Their great love failed to convince me.

Again, with regards to Magnolia, the hype around it's status left me disappointed once I'd finally watched it and all I could think of was 'why?'.  The opening to the film (if I can remember correctly as it's been a few years since I watched it) with the series of random coincidences really intrigued me, I felt excited about what the film was going to offer.  Instead it just left me confused at times, bored at others, and in general pretty alienated from the whole story.

My third one (and I've not looked through the rest of the thread yet, so no idea if it's been posted) is;

I detest it with a passion.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot this one I bought it blind over a year ago, due to the hype and success surrounding it. Also because of Paul Giamatti, and I hated it.  I actually just gave it to a friend recently who loves it, in return for 24.

< Message edited by Sway -- 20/4/2008 8:36:32 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 181
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 8:35:44 PM   
Jackal

I surely can't be the only one..?!

And,

I also think Star Wars and the LOTRs are very much over-hyped.

* puts tin hat on *

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 182
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 9:06:27 PM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I'll agree that A Bug's Life is a blip on their CV (it's good, but not as good as the rest) but the rest of their output is great. Monsters Inc is my favourite animation along with Fantasia, and while I think The Incredibles is really really good, although not perfect, I think that Toy Story 2 is one of their best. It works perfectly after Toy Story, and continues the characters naturally, introducing new characters flawlessly (Mrs Potato Head, the dog, Buzz's nemesis, Zorg) with a great plot that has time for action (the road crossing scene is a stand out) and emotion (Jessie's song which I love, even if Family Guy have undermined all the composer-whose-name-I-forget's songs somewhat). I think it's one of those sequels-better-than-the-original sort of films. Finding Nemo is a lovely story, and Ratatouille is a future masterpiece.

Admittedly, I am yet to see Cars, Ratatouille or Finding Nemo but of those I have seen, there's been too few moments that impressed me.  I think that part of my dislike for Pixar lies in that the CGI animation is killing off traditional animation, something that I find frustrating because there is no clear advantage to the stories by making them in this way (Toy Story for example could just as easily been 2D and still been every bit as brilliant).  Pixar are seen as leaders in their field, but are still nowhere near as good as FMV departments of game makers (Blizzard Entertainment's cinematics team are probably the best).

I guess I'm sort of against using CG animation as a gimmick to make more money as opposed to making something that truly takes advantage of the format, which I'm yet to see in a Pixar film overall (Ratatouille I hear goes some way towards this, I'll have to reserve judgement until I've seen it).  I'm not saying that I think Pixar makes crap, just that I cannot see their value overall, that they are overhyped.  Same goes for the Shrek sequels and most of DreamWork's attempts at the Pixar crown (Antz remains the only one of theirs that I've seen and really liked).

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 183
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 9:08:27 PM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

This one was, if anything, severely underhyped. 

This one however . . .

. . . or, How To Destroy A Great Movie And Grotesquely Over-Hype It.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 184
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 9:24:27 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

This one was, if anything, severely underhyped. 

I meant since, not including the director's cut.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 185
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 9:25:18 PM   
Kadaj

Post #: 186
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 10:55:18 PM   
Achtung Englander

25 Hour Russian movies are great

The Seven Samuari is a good film but for some reason I could never make it to the end - it could be the pacing I am not sure. I will try again. Maybe it was the mood I was in when I saw it for the first time.

I totally agree about Magnolia, Brokeback Mountain and Heat - three films that have been mentioned in this thread - all three I found to way over praised

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 187
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 11:35:32 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I'll agree that A Bug's Life is a blip on their CV (it's good, but not as good as the rest) but the rest of their output is great. Monsters Inc is my favourite animation along with Fantasia, and while I think The Incredibles is really really good, although not perfect, I think that Toy Story 2 is one of their best. It works perfectly after Toy Story, and continues the characters naturally, introducing new characters flawlessly (Mrs Potato Head, the dog, Buzz's nemesis, Zorg) with a great plot that has time for action (the road crossing scene is a stand out) and emotion (Jessie's song which I love, even if Family Guy have undermined all the composer-whose-name-I-forget's songs somewhat). I think it's one of those sequels-better-than-the-original sort of films. Finding Nemo is a lovely story, and Ratatouille is a future masterpiece.

Admittedly, I am yet to see Cars, Ratatouille or Finding Nemo but of those I have seen, there's been too few moments that impressed me.  I think that part of my dislike for Pixar lies in that the CGI animation is killing off traditional animation, something that I find frustrating because there is no clear advantage to the stories by making them in this way (Toy Story for example could just as easily been 2D and still been every bit as brilliant).  Pixar are seen as leaders in their field, but are still nowhere near as good as FMV departments of game makers (Blizzard Entertainment's cinematics team are probably the best).

I guess I'm sort of against using CG animation as a gimmick to make more money as opposed to making something that truly takes advantage of the format, which I'm yet to see in a Pixar film overall (Ratatouille I hear goes some way towards this, I'll have to reserve judgement until I've seen it).  I'm not saying that I think Pixar makes crap, just that I cannot see their value overall, that they are overhyped.  Same goes for the Shrek sequels and most of DreamWork's attempts at the Pixar crown (Antz remains the only one of theirs that I've seen and really liked).

I suppose, as I'm a technological type of person, I think more in terms of pushing the limits of what technology can do.  Yes, Toy Story could have been made in 2D and been as good, but personally I remember watching that film and feeling that history was being made, which made the film more special.  I told my friends that at some point in the future, many more films would be made in that manner, and they laughed me out of the cinema.  For me its a richer and more vibrant palette; although I'm also a fan of traditional animation, there's no way it could achieve the same effect and depth as CG in, say, the airport luggage sequence in Toy Story 2, or the door chase in Monsters Inc.  I would argue that the former was the first CG film to really showcase its advantages over 2D.

I'm not sure about the feeling that CG is being increasingly used to make more money - yes, there are a lot of animation houses now producing CG films, but its the herd mentality that Hollywood has, and these films are neither cheap nor easy to produce.  Personally I'm delighted that people like John Lasseter are around to push the envelope in that way.

I would urge you to see Ratatouille though, if you're not convinced.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 188
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 11:44:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

What sets Pixar apart from the competition is that they say, 'let's get a really good story, and see what we can do with it with this technology...' The competition says, 'let's get this technology and see what story we can hang on it...'. Pixar's first and foremost consideration has always been story, and, as Pettsy says, they then use the technology to its fullest and demonstrate how it can be used most effectively.

Then films like Persepolis (yet to see, but looks great from the trailer I have seen) come along and show that you don't always need technically proficient animation to make a great looking film. So long as the story is there, then I don't really mind what format it is in. But Pixar have found a way to use the technology to embiggen* the story, and that is a good thing.

*I think that's possibly only the second time I've justifiably used that 'word' in a sentence!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 189
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 11:49:51 PM   
pettsy

I forgot to add - Dreamworks films (bar Antz and the original Shrek) are generally terrible from a story point of view, so their use of CG is irrelevant IMO.

< Message edited by pettsy -- 20/4/2008 11:50:16 PM >

Post #: 190
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/4/2008 11:51:48 PM   
TrendMeUp

Hmm I disagree with most of these. Specifically Lost in Translation, Taxi Driver, Brokeback Mountain and Donnie Darko. All masterpieces in my mind.

My choices would beee:

Scarface (remake)
Snakes on a Plane
The Incredibles

Hmm I can't really think of anymore. I'm too easy to please.

< Message edited by TrendMeUp -- 20/4/2008 11:52:09 PM >

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

Post #: 191
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 4:33:30 AM   
Overmind

Just when is a movie overhyped?
Ive come up with three angles:

The burger menu:
This is the blockbusterhype. I dont mind them making
actionfigures and t-shirts, but when we have to eat the burgers they cross a line.
Typical films: spiderman and transformers.

The oscar spam:
 This is the wannabe classics. Ok, they are great movies. They might deserve
the nomenees, but was all the wins well earned?
A couple of years after the hype it becomes to clear they did not.
Typical films: Titanic and Forest Gump.

The untouchable classic:
You have heard of them, movies whose names are whispered with awe.
Its like an ancient law; thou shall not dislike this film.
But watching them you just wonder; why? This one is boring!
Typical films: Citizen Kane and Casablanca.

----------
edit: my shitty spelling

< Message edited by Overmind -- 21/4/2008 5:07:42 PM >

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 192
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 7:54:44 AM   
matty_b

Any Wes Anderson film - they've usually got a couple of good performances in them, but are so determinded to show how quirky they are, they end up irritating rather than beguiling.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 193
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 8:21:53 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind
The untouchable classic:
Typical films: Citizen Cane and Cassablanca.

2001 falls into that category for me. I can't seem to sit through it without falling asleep. And God knows I've tried!!!

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 194
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 1:58:06 PM   
broonie

IMO (Stress that point again IMO) - Apocalypse Now! Hee-hee!

(Runs out room, out of the house, starts car, sound of wheels screechin until they fade.)

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 195
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 3:06:00 PM   
white mage

The Spiderwick Cronicles. I was watching nick toons and it was advertised every five mintures.

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 196
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 3:21:34 PM   
will1000

I just don't see the appeal...it's not very funny and deffinately is not the savour of British comedy! 

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 197
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 3:54:14 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I'm going to say Knocked Up. It just wasn't funny and every single character in it drove me nuts.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 198
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 5:18:21 PM   
Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I just don't see the appeal...it's not very funny and deffinately is not the savour of British comedy! 

I thought it was great. And as far as I can remember it wasn't hyped. I can not say wether or not it was hyped in britain, but it did not have a hype here in Norway.
Nothing further than the common movieposter.

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 199
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 6:48:23 PM   
BrooksyTHX1138

A list of films i dont hate, but i simply dont understand why they are so hyped up.

Raging Bull
2001: A Space Odessey (Such a cold, boring, dull film)
Superman Returns
Heat
Pretty Much All of Wes Andersons later works
Election
Fargo
Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy (My Dad is peering over my shoulder, and demanded i put that in)
Spiderman (and that)
Jurassic Park
The Matrix

Theres definitely a ton more, as i said these are films i enjoy aspects of (the action, the effects, acting) but overall i find to be lacking something. Others i really despise (2001) but have to give credit to special effects. Now im just waiting until i get mocked savagely.

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 200
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 7:13:23 PM   
will1000

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I thought it was great. And as far as I can remember it wasn't hyped. I can not say wether or not it was hyped in britain, but it did not have a hype here in Norway.
Nothing further than the common movieposter.

Yeah in the UK it had a lot of hype, mainly from Empire who still champion it...maybe it's just me, but I just didn't like it (mind you I also don't like Spaced but did like Hot Fuzz...huh! Go figure!)

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 201
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 7:14:46 PM   
will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrooksyTHX1138

A list of films i dont hate, but i simply dont understand why they are so hyped up.

Raging Bull
2001: A Space Odessey (Such a cold, boring, dull film)
Superman Returns
Heat
Pretty Much All of Wes Andersons later works
Election
Fargo
Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy (My Dad is peering over my shoulder, and demanded i put that in)
Spiderman (and that)
Jurassic Park
The Matrix

Theres definitely a ton more, as i said these are films i enjoy aspects of (the action, the effects, acting) but overall i find to be lacking something. Others i really despise (2001) but have to give credit to special effects. Now im just waiting until i get mocked savagely.

Heresy!

(in reply to BrooksyTHX1138)
Post #: 202
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/4/2008 7:38:44 PM   
BrooksyTHX1138

Hahahaha, Sorry Man......Just Dont See What They Hype is all About (IMO).......Dont Kill Me!

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 203
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 12:24:52 AM   
Lydia_H

Shaun of the Dead is a good suggestion. Possibly though it is dwarfed by Hot Fuzz which seemed to get far more hype and turned out to be significantly worse ...

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to BrooksyTHX1138)
Post #: 204
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 1:15:32 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

The untouchable classic:

2001 falls into that category for me. I can't seem to sit through it without falling asleep. And God knows I've tried!!!

There was no cane in Citizen Kane!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 205
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 1:57:23 AM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

The untouchable classic:

There was no cane in Citizen Kane!

Maybe he was also thinking of the porn version of Casablanca, "Assablanca", as appears in Family Guy. Spelling mistakes abound.

Anyway, I have to agree with grucl's inclusion of 2001. Just can't get into it and I've seen it several times. An iconic cut sequence, indeed, but I just can't warm to the film at all.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 206
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 1:20:04 PM   
Goodfella

Gladiator.

Yes that's right, Gladiator.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 207
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 2:06:27 PM   
Felix

Your avatar has reminded me of one Goodfella.

Juno.

Watched it expecting it to be some kind of second coming but found it to be one of the most annoying, cliched and predictable films I've ever seen.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 208
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 3:08:33 PM   
Macavity

I found Juno pretty overrated too but I wouldn't class it as 'over hyped'. I agree with those citing Titanic as an over hyped film.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 209
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 22/4/2008 3:09:09 PM   
Fritz Lang

The English Patient
Out Of Africa
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
E.T
Superman(all of them)

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? You had a bad day and everything changed.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI