Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 [18] 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 2:59:05 PM   
MonsterCat

What are your thoughts on the last three Batman flicks, Dannyboy?

I'm still not very clear on this issue.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 511
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 3:00:46 PM   
AxlReznor

I'd be interested to know if there are any films Dannybohy likes. He spends so long talking about all of the ones he hates that he seems to have forgotten that this is primarily a forum for people who like movies.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 512
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 3:07:21 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I'd be interested to know if there are any films Dannybohy likes. He spends so long talking about all of the ones he hates that he seems to have forgotten that this is primarily a forum for people who like movies.

He doesnt like the Nolan Bat flicks but thinks the Burton ones are '' unsurpassed ''.You know, the ones with a midget playing Batman, poodles grabbing batarangs in mid air, and armies of rocket firing penguins marching down Gotham square with not a soul in sight.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 513
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 3:10:41 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yet you watched them all? Wouldn't the fact that you didn't like the first then the second one tell you something?

The Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. What's your point here?

If Spectator thought the first film was boring and he didn't like it, then watched the second and came to the same conclusion, why even bother watching the third one? The point he's making is pretty clear to be honest.

No! its a fuckin stupid point!. I watched Begins, it was ok, not bad, I watched TDK purely because of the Joker hype! it was slightly better!. I watched TDKR, it was a repeat of TDK with extra bollocks and nap time!. Hence I watched the trilogy! and with the OP
Taken as a trilogy its " Meh, nice Batmobile" "Why so serious!?" "What the fuck....ZZZzzzz".. fair comment

The first series of BlackAdder was shite! the second was perfection! as was the Third and Fourth!

And all that would be super if my point was aimed at you. It wasn't, so no need for the aggressive swearing. We get the fact that YOU don't like the trilogy but I wasn't talking to or about you. Or Powka for that matter. Nice that both of you can speak for Spectator, though, sure he appreciates that.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/12/2012 3:11:38 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 514
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 3:23:04 PM   
Russ Whitfield

I thought the hype surrounding the first Burton Batman was HUGE. I didn't think much of the move at the time, to be honest. I liked it more in later life, but everytime I see this thread surface, I think of Batman... so that must the most overhyped film I've ever seen.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 515
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 3:31:55 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

He doesnt like the Nolan Bat flicks but thinks the Burton ones are '' unsurpassed ''.You know, the ones with a midget playing Batman, poodles grabbing batarangs in mid air, and armies of rocket firing penguins marching down Gotham square with not a soul in sight.

Michael Keaton is only about two inches shorter than Bale. Less use of the "midget" shit, please.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 516
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 3:58:09 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Holy Bat shit! you just mentioned out some of the best parts!!. I guess they came to your mind first because they are such awesome scenes.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 517
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 18/12/2012 4:00:14 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yet you watched them all? Wouldn't the fact that you didn't like the first then the second one tell you something?

If Spectator thought the first film was boring and he didn't like it, then watched the second and came to the same conclusion, why even bother watching the third one? The point he's making is pretty clear to be honest.

No! its a fuckin stupid point!. I watched Begins, it was ok, not bad, I watched TDK purely because of the Joker hype! it was slightly better!. I watched TDKR, it was a repeat of TDK with extra bollocks and nap time!. Hence I watched the trilogy! and with the OP
Taken as a trilogy its " Meh, nice Batmobile" "Why so serious!?" "What the fuck....ZZZzzzz".. fair comment

The first series of BlackAdder was shite! the second was perfection! as was the Third and Fourth!

And all that would be super if my point was aimed at you. It wasn't, so no need for the aggressive swearing. We get the fact that YOU don't like the trilogy but I wasn't talking to or about you. Or Powka for that matter. Nice that both of you can speak for Spectator, though, sure he appreciates that.

Apologies , I have edited out the mean word.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 518
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 8:32:44 AM   
NCC1701A

Pulp Fiction it had a great cast but really could not stand it.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 519
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 8:42:19 AM   
darthbane

The LOTR trilogy. I admit that they're an incredible achievement in film making, but I'm with Kevin Smith when he said....
3 movies about walking, walking to a mountain. Jesus, even the trees walked in that movie

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 520
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 11:31:08 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No! its a fluffy bunny stupid point!. I watched Begins, it was ok, not bad, I watched TDK purely because of the Joker hype! it was slightly better!. I watched TDKR, it was a repeat of TDK with extra bollocks and nap time!. Hence I watched the trilogy! and with the OP

Just admit it, all this resentment towards Nolan is your way of suppressing and dealing with your true feelings for him and his films. You fucking love him don't ya. Otherwise you wouldn't be bringing him up in nearly every conversation you post here. You're like the little kid in school who pretends to dislike a girl by teasing her and calling her names but deep down you have a crush on her.

It's ok dude we can get you through this with a little help and a shoulder to cry on.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 521
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 11:36:15 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No! its a fluffy bunny stupid point!. I watched Begins, it was ok, not bad, I watched TDK purely because of the Joker hype! it was slightly better!. I watched TDKR, it was a repeat of TDK with extra bollocks and nap time!. Hence I watched the trilogy! and with the OP

Just admit it, all this resentment towards Nolan is your way of suppressing and dealing with your true feelings for him and his films. You fucking love him don't ya. Otherwise you wouldn't be bringing him up in nearly every conversation you post here. You're like the little kid in school who pretends to dislike a girl by teasing her and calling her names but deep down you have a crush on her.

It's ok dude we can get you through this with a little help and a shoulder to cry on.

I agree, that or Dannyboy is just trolling for the sake of it.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 522
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 2:42:17 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see much difference between Nolan trolling and Nolan idolization, they are both extreme and ridiculous

Post #: 523
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 2:44:37 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see much difference between Nolan trolling and Nolan idolization, they are both extreme and ridiculous

So you are at least admitting to being "extreme and ridiculous"? This is progress.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 524
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 2:47:29 PM   
AxlReznor

That depends on the tone used. Most of the people who like the movies don't give people like you shit for not liking them. It's because you're being patronising and insist that we've all been "fooled" into liking the movie, and actually just insulting anyone who says they like them without any provocation.

And that's not mentioning writing off people's points in defense as just fanboy rambling instead of engaging in an actual discussion.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 525
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 19/12/2012 3:01:45 PM   
Deviation

I don't really love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises (and controversially The Prestige) and I'm still finding this guy obnoxious.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 526
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/12/2012 3:05:25 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you are at least admitting to being "extreme and ridiculous"? This is progress.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 527
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 20/12/2012 9:04:38 PM   
mclane1

Shawshank redemption. Yes it's good but not that good.

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 528
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 21/12/2012 1:59:40 PM   
TolkenHobbitGuy

Any Tarantino film since Kill Bill vol. 2, even the pretend quirkiness of part. 1 has started to irk me (+Pulp Fiction, which appeal i never understood)
But i guess the most overhyped for me has to be Blade Runner. Major Sir Ridley fan but can't stand the film. Its a visual masterpiece certainly but
thats about it for me. It never engages me in anyway and mostly i find it tedious. No matter what cut i see.
I couldn't care less whether Deckard is a Replicant or not.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 529
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 2/1/2013 5:06:54 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

The story is nothing special and too similar to "Dances with Wolves" and "Pocahontas", the bad guy is two-dimensional, the messages are spoon-fed and the action bored me. It looked good though. And Sam Worthington is handsome.

(in reply to TolkenHobbitGuy)
Post #: 530
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 2/1/2013 5:16:58 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Driving Miss Daisy.

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 531
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 3/1/2013 12:27:16 AM   
Alan Grant

All that Twilight bollocks. The missus loves it, she's read the books and now the shite films grace my collection and with the exception of one, all were released at the cinema around her birthday, so I ended up spending 20 on bollocks. Thank God they are done with.

I'm not sure in fact where it stands on the hyped up scale, I just needed somewhere to get the built up angst off my chest.

< Message edited by Alan Grant -- 3/1/2013 12:31:50 AM >

Babies smell!

Films viewed in 2013

My film collection

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 532
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 4/1/2013 8:34:42 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Grant

All that Twilight bollocks. The missus loves it, she's read the books and now the shite films grace my collection and with the exception of one, all were released at the cinema around her birthday, so I ended up spending 20 on bollocks. Thank God they are done with.

I'm not sure in fact where it stands on the hyped up scale, I just needed somewhere to get the built up angst off my chest.

The only Twilight movie I have seen is Breaking Dawn: Part 1. It was pretty bad. Being pregnant it was horrific to watch the vampire baby eating its way out of Bella's womb and the birth scene.

(in reply to Alan Grant)
Post #: 533
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 4/1/2013 8:38:14 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

Awesome scene.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 534
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 6/1/2013 1:09:49 AM   
AJRtennis

Gotta be Skyfall. Who is raving over this yawnathon? A bond and his mum film. Absolutely terrible!

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 535
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 8/1/2013 10:19:14 PM   
Cool Breeze

The Matrix. ( It was overhyped by Empire anyway ).

The Raid. A passable chop socky action flick but nowhere near worth the overhype it was given.

(in reply to AJRtennis)
Post #: 536
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 9/1/2013 8:56:43 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

quote:

Awesome scene.

Indeed, awesome scene. This is apposed to a Batman who puts on a growly voice, A blood transfusion in midair and a bunch of ninjas taking over a city with the help of a Scarecrow!!.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 9/1/2013 8:59:59 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 537
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 11/1/2013 8:44:12 PM   
OldGrey

Could I just bring to the discussion that really, the word "hype" is over publicity or exaggeration of something, in this case, a film. It could therefore be argued that every popular film of the past 50 years has been over hyped in order to sell it.
What would be interesting would be to read why people felt robbed of their hard earned dosh paying to see it, as opposed to people just saying " it was shit".
Example: I disliked Haywire, it was sold as an all out action film whereas in fact, it had too few action sequences and too many irrelevant talkie scenes.
And it was also shit.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 538
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 11/1/2013 9:24:42 PM   
Spiked

I don't really let films get over hyped for me. But I do get pleasantly surprised when somebody says something is a dud, and I go in with low expecations and come out feeling happy.

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 539
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/1/2013 1:47:26 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

The Raid. A passable chop socky action flick but nowhere near worth the overhype it was given.

Dredd is a poor man's The Raid.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 17 [18] 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 [18] 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI