Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 11/12/2012 10:28:47 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Titanic
Dark Knight Rises

All total hyped and all utterly unoriginal and boring! Avatar being the worst.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 421
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 11/12/2012 10:56:06 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Hype is more commercial based than that of the quality of film.
I tend to try and separate them both while watching a film.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 422
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 10:29:48 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

I totally agree with FORREST GUMP, I thought it was very boring.

And everyone seems to love JUNO, i think it was an okay movie, but not that good..

EVERYTHING by DISNEY after 1977 (not pixar) ,Winnie THe Pooh was the last good one in my opinion. After that one i think Disney movies became quite indifferent and boring..

And last but not least: SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION..

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 423
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 1:57:17 PM   
musht

Skyfall!! It's not terrible by any means but it was nothing spectacular, and as a Bond movie it's definitely not the best.

I think a lot of the hype comes from the disappointment that some felt at QoS. I actually think I prefer both CR and QoS to Skyfall but it's a very close call. The hype surrounding it is very OTT and unnecessary.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 424
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 2:43:56 PM   
Diamond Joe

Has to be little miss sunshine for me!!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 425
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 3:05:20 PM   
AxlReznor

I'm probably going to get shit for this, but... anything directed by David Lynch. I mean, I like a good headfuck as much as the next guy, but Jesus Christ does this man overdo it!

Mulholland Drive is the only one I even find slightly watchable, and that's not anywhere near as great as people like to claim. Also, anyone who can film Naomi Watts having a wank and make it seem uncomfortable and filled with self-loathing is deserving of a prize.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 426
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 3:17:31 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

And everyone seems to love JUNO, i think it was an okay movie, but not that good..

EVERYTHING by DISNEY after 1977 (not pixar) ,Winnie THe Pooh was the last good one in my opinion. After that one i think Disney movies became quite indifferent and boring..

Juno was terrible.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 427
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 3:54:11 PM   
Hood_Man

I was going to say Citizen Kane, in the sense that, while still being an amazing film, it's been built up to such a degree that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype that's been generated over the decades.

But then I remembered the first time I saw it 4 years ago, and it still lived up to the hype.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 428
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 12/12/2012 4:59:46 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Juno was terrible.

Yeh, I never understood the love for Juno. Quiet boring really.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 429
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 15/12/2012 10:07:57 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

Nolan's Batman trilogy.

ZzZzZz

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 430
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 15/12/2012 10:30:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yet you watched them all? Wouldn't the fact that you didn't like the first then the second one tell you something?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 431
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 15/12/2012 11:19:18 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Juno was terrible.

It was the awful pseudo cool dialogue which really killed it.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 432
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:22:28 AM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yet you watched them all? Wouldn't the fact that you didn't like the first then the second one tell you something?

The Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. What's your point here?

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 433
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 3:12:08 PM   
potemkin1925

Citizen Kane.

I just don't get the bruhawhaw.

It isn't actually about anything.

(in reply to MrSteveBob)
Post #: 434
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 3:19:35 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrSteveBob

To be fair THE PHANTOM MENACE is a different kind of hype.

I believe the OP meant the "usual" hype that surrounds a movie that usually begins with "critics" or word of mouth upon its release and that is about the movie irself.

The "hype" around the first of the Prequels was crazy fan and media run frenzy that was running from the moment it was announced and had nothing to do with the movie itself. Plus, it was around the start of people using the Internet to discuss whatever drivel they could make up.

(in reply to MrSteveBob)
Post #: 435
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 4:28:24 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

quote:

The Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. What's your point here?

If Spectator thought the first film was boring and he didn't like it, then watched the second and came to the same conclusion, why even bother watching the third one? The point he's making is pretty clear to be honest.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 436
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 4:37:24 PM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

If Spectator thought the first film was boring and he didn't like it, then watched the second and came to the same conclusion, why even bother watching the third one? The point he's making is pretty clear to be honest.

Because it's one of the most anticipated movies of the year? Because they all can stand alone as separate films, and not a TV show? Because maybe Spectator wasn't interested in The Joker as the villain, but is a fan of Bane? Spectator might have his own reasons why he didn't like the first two and expected the third one to be better. Don't just assume that if you can't be bothered to give a film another chance that everyone else thinks the same way.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 437
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 5:03:38 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Because it's one of the most anticipated movies of the year? Because they all can stand alone as separate films, and not a TV show? Because maybe Spectator wasn't interested in The Joker as the villain, but is a fan of Bane? Spectator might have his own reasons why he didn't like the first two and expected the third one to be better. Don't just assume that if you can't be bothered to give a film another chance that everyone else thinks the same way.

I have to agree. To use Ricky Gervais as an example, I wasn't a big fan of the Office but I gave the Christmas special a chance and adored it. Then he made Extra's which, again, I wasn't too keen on, but I gave the second series a chance and, again, adored it (and the Christmas special too).
I wasn't particularly fond of Life's Too Short but when I eventually get round to it I want to watch Derek because I might really like it. It bugs me when I say I don't like something only for someone to turn around and ask why I tried it, how would I know until I did?

I'd rather be the guy who tries to watch everything, no matter how much I think I might hate it (I hate a lot of musicals for instance, but gave Hairspray and Cabaret a chance and loved them both) than someone who says no and potentially misses out, and I admire Spectator and anyone else for doing the same

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 438
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 5:07:37 PM   
garvielloken

But after watching the first two surely he knew he was going to get more of the same with the third. Unless Nolan changed his style of directing, lightened the mood and gave us a tonally different film it seems like a waste of time trying to invest yourself in the final part of a trilogy after disliking the first two.

I don't see how TDKR being the most anticipated film of the year has anything to do with it. If someone thinks the first two parts of a trilogy are boring and dull why would they be anticipating the final part?

I'm not saying Spectator shouldn't watch the film, it just seems odd to keep watching a franchise they don't enjoy.

A good example for me would be Twilight. I watched the first film and thought it was shit. I decided to give the second film a go regardless of how I felt about the first film and again I thought it was shit, so I decided not to waste my time with rest because I know it's more of the same.

quote:

Don't just assume that if you can't be bothered to give a film another chance that everyone else thinks the same way.

I'm not assuming that everyone thinks the same way. I'm wondering why someone would continue to watch films they think are dull.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 439
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 5:57:21 PM   
The Puddled Duck

TDKR it was like TDK (worst bits) meets Inception (just boring), long, boring, terrible plot and script, hammy acting, TDKR really was a snorefest at the cinema, they called it EPIC over on avforums, I told them it was crap.

Post #: 440
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:00:57 PM   
The Puddled Duck

quote:

But after watching the first two surely he knew he was going to get more of the same with the third. Unless Nolan changed his style of directing, lightened the mood and gave us a tonally different film it seems like a waste of time trying to invest yourself in the final part of a trilogy after disliking the first two.

I liked the first two, although had a few issues with TDK, that said TDKR was Nolan gone sour in some kind of Inception (awful) daze.

Post #: 441
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:25:59 PM   
DancingClown

This is basically just the Unpopular Opinions thread, isn't it? So what cunt was responsible for resurrecting it?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to The Puddled Duck)
Post #: 442
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:28:03 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Puddled Duck

TDKR it was like TDK (worst bits) meets Inception (just boring), long, boring, terrible plot and script, hammy acting, TDKR really was a snorefest at the cinema, they called it EPIC over on avforums, I told them it was crap.

(gasps) You didn't! You maverick, you! And did their opinions buckle and crumble from the force of yours? That's so awesome. You're like a god, or something!

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 443
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:35:05 PM   
The Puddled Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

(gasps) You didn't! You maverick, you! And did their opinions buckle and crumble from the force of yours? That's so awesome. You're like a god, or something!

No they just banned me, it was a waste of time on there anyway, any 'blockbuster movie' they just go ape for, se with Skyfall.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 444
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:45:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I don't see how TDKR being the most anticipated film of the year has anything to do with it. If someone thinks the first two parts of a trilogy are boring and dull why would they be anticipating the final part?

I'm not saying Spectator shouldn't watch the film, it just seems odd to keep watching a franchise they don't enjoy.

Exactly my point. Why bother watching the third film in a trilogy if, and I am going to quote Spectator exactly here, you though the others were- 'ZzZzZz '.

It just seems pointless to me, if you don't like the first two, why even continue? You clearly don't like the franchise so what is the point? The conclusion is obviously going to be the same if that is the frame of mind you are in with the first two. It just seems to me to be a waste of time if you are just going to find the last film as boring as the first two. But hey, each to their own, I suppose.

Post #: 445
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:55:41 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

quote:

No they just banned me, it was a waste of time on there anyway, any 'blockbuster movie' they just go ape for, se with Skyfall.

You didn't walk out?

Post #: 446
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 6:55:57 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

This is basically just the Unpopular Opinions thread, isn't it?

Looks like it.

Post #: 447
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 7:02:34 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

This is basically just the Unpopular Opinions thread, isn't it?

Looks like it.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 448
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 7:26:09 PM   
The Puddled Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

quote:

You didn't walk out?

No definitely banned, they'll ban you for anything
over there. Although I did sign out before being banned, perhaps they thought they'd ban in the belief I'd walked out, a sort of pre-emptive strike.

< Message edited by The Puddled Duck -- 16/12/2012 7:34:22 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 449
RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? - 16/12/2012 7:31:25 PM   
The Puddled Duck

quote:

This is basically just the Unpopular Opinions thread, isn't it? So what cunt was responsible for resurrecting it?

I think there's a thread starter clue on the homepage/thread listing, don't thank me for gems of info. such as this by the way.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The most overhyped film you've ever seen? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI