Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Street Kings - 14/4/2008 1:18:47 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Very Average - 14/4/2008 1:18:47 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Seen it a million times before. Dark Blue was much better.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Very Average - 14/4/2008 1:18:49 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Seen it a million times before. Dark Blue was much better.

Post #: 3
4get the endless popcorn films that r about 2 hit cinema - 14/4/2008 3:29:37 PM   
SHADY

3 1/2 stars!great show!if u want something badass?c this.if u want hardcore action?c this.if u want something gritty?c this.u get my drift...

Post #: 4
RE: 4get the endless popcorn films that r about 2 hit c... - 14/4/2008 3:52:53 PM   
Mr Terrific

I had been looking forward to watching this film for awhile. Mainly because of the involvement of the crime author James Ellroy. The fact that the film starred Keanu Reeves was a slight worry.
When I finally got to see the film, I was quite relieved to see the trailer was quite misleading. It was not a gangter epic, but a solid, brutal and entertaining police ethriller.
I won't go into the details of the story and plot, I'll leave that to Empire. Its nothing blindingly original. That said I am a strong believer in the theory that a simple story well told is better than a complex story told crappily.
If you don't believe the character of Keanu Reeves to be a tough, rulebreaking, guided missile of man in this film you will not enjoy it. Fortunately I did. He has come along way since Point Break and his surfer dude persona has been safely stowed away here. He has obviously spent some time at the gym, and seeing him perform some quite brutal acts in the film and not being particularly politically correct (see conversation with two Korean gangbangers) is an intresting change from the norm.
The inclusion of James Ellroy in the script and story is quite telling in the amount of swearing, violence and the gradually worsening situations the hero finds himself in.
All the other actors in the film do some very fine work, particularly Forest Whitiker.
While not the most original tale, it is very entertaining,gritty,violent and action packed. If you are looking for originality you might want to avoid this. But seeing that there has not been a film of this type this year I would recommend it.
3.5/5

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to SHADY)
Post #: 5
RE: 4get the endless popcorn films that r about 2 hit c... - 14/4/2008 4:55:30 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: SHADY

3 1/2 stars!great show!if u want something badass?c this.if u want hardcore action?c this.if u want something gritty?c this.u get my drift...

innit.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to SHADY)
Post #: 6
Four stars for Miami Vice, remember? - 16/4/2008 11:29:25 AM   
Ricorodrigeuz

Anything can be better than Man's remake which lacked anything that could keep you interested. This film knows what it wants to be unlike Miami Vice which couldn't even pull off a decent shootout.

Post #: 7
Four stars for Miami Vice, remember? - 16/4/2008 11:29:26 AM   
Ricorodrigeuz

Anything can be better than Man's remake which lacked anything that could keep you interested. This film knows what it wants to be unlike Miami Vice which couldn't even pull off a decent shootout.

Post #: 8
Honest review for once - 16/4/2008 12:59:24 PM   
bosscoe

This seems like an acurate review om Empire for once. Recently the reviews have been incredibly criticle and extremly tough on the most entertaining of films. Two stars for Rambo, come on, if Shoot Em Up can earn four, Rambo shoot be at least four as well. But, based on this honest review i will check out this film, but as for an Ellroy movie, it will not come close to Dark Blue.

Post #: 9
Honest review for once - 16/4/2008 1:00:05 PM   
bosscoe

This seems like an acurate review om Empire for once. Recently the reviews have been incredibly criticle and extremly tough on the most entertaining of films. Two stars for Rambo, come on, if Shoot Em Up can earn four, Rambo shoot be at least four as well. But, based on this honest review i will check out this film, but as for an Ellroy movie, it will not come close to Dark Blue.

Post #: 10
RE: Honest review for once - 17/4/2008 6:39:02 AM   
spides

quote:

Thick as pigshit.........how old are you?

c and u.......give me strength

(in reply to bosscoe)
Post #: 11
RE: Honest review for once - 17/4/2008 10:19:04 AM   
Diggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: bosscoe

C'mon, I'm a massive Rambo fan and was there on opening day at the first showing to see the new film but you can't seriously think Rambo deserved at least 4 stars? Take away Sylvester Stallone and the gore and it would have been a 1 star film at best that wouldn't have even got a cinema release. 

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to bosscoe)
Post #: 12
RE: Honest review for once - 19/4/2008 6:17:12 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Gritty, gripping and entertaining... Whitaker, Laurie and Reeves were all excellent with good support

4/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 13
RE: Street Kings - 19/4/2008 9:54:21 PM   
kenada_woo

Rock solid, gun-ho, macho modern gunslinging Western cop fair.  If you're a fan of The Shield, The Corruptor, Serpico, Training Day et al you love this. 

The dialogue is snappy, the performances full of testosterone with every main character (and there are plenty) is a known face (Hey that's Hugh Laurie, hey thats Chris Evans, Hey that's Jay Mour etc), which raises a grin, all shot gritty and with pace.

The plot is a tad predicatble towards the end, but the film is really about Reeves character dealing with what's happening around him in a world where the bad men are bad and the good men can be worst.  

Anyway, great fun stuff.

****/*****  

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

Post #: 14
terrific stuff - 20/4/2008 11:04:09 PM   
tysmuse2

Fair review. This is easily the best thing Keanu has been involved in, (the rest of the cast were good too) I like how it is completely committed to portraying nocturnal LA as an absolute shit-hole populated by some real bad people. Not quite as hard and tense as Training day but it has plenty of cool shoot-outs and edgy scenes.

Post #: 15
way too predictable - 21/4/2008 11:06:14 AM   
zenotrapp

I was extremely disappointed by this. Forrest Whitaker gives the most clichè performance of his career as the self obsessed captain-turned-crimeboss; as does Reeves with his vodka drinking cop-turned-hitman. That by itself wouldn't be so bad, if the movie had the guts to admit, that it's pure pulp. But it takes itself far too seriously, spinning off twist after twist, which lead to a conclusion you knew or expected 10 Minutes into the movie (without having read the book). The only reason I kept through it was to see if the film could still prove me wrong. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Post #: 16
street kings - 21/4/2008 3:19:45 PM   
moviemaniac2

The first 30 minutes of Street Kings seems like the best cop movie since Training Day. Keanu Reeves plays a hard edged badass who gets the job done, because that's what it really takes, not these nice cops who use nice language. He's realistically and cleverly racist, and takes a beating. He handles the moral police with appropriate sarcasm, making the point that we need this guy. Of course, then he's got to go all conscientious. It's fine if it's a case of boss's orders, but it's not his preferred way. Then you've got somebody good at doing something he doesn't really like. But this isn't just another dirty cop growing a conscience movie.There are no real surprises, just the same twists as before, but it gets there fine.

Post #: 17
StreetKings - 22/4/2008 12:38:53 PM   
monel1981

This movie has been criticised by a lot of people, some say its predictable others says its got slopy dialogues. This is one of the best Cop movies to come out in a long time. Reeves delivers an outstanding performance that he has never done before. The different with reeves and other actors is that he loves acting and does cus he loves the script, others are looking for the next role to give them an oscar, I enjoyed this movie not only cos it started Keanu Reeves but it is one of the best movie i have seen this year. I cant see any other playing the Tom Ludlow the Reeves playing him. This is a movie to see and one to have in your collection of DVDS

Post #: 18
RE: StreetKings - 22/4/2008 9:22:40 PM   
Starscream

Really enjoyed this and much better than reviews have made out. Only fault with it is it about 20mins too long. Great suspense, well crafted and great performances by everybody in the film.

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to monel1981)
Post #: 19
RE: StreetKings - 22/4/2008 9:27:35 PM   
Castor Troy

It is a really solid cop film. Keanu is great, as is Whitaker - maybe a bit cliche at times, but still fun. I thought the end wasn't really needed - too many 'twists' for the sake of it, but it was awesome getting to that point. I think this, Training Day and Harsh Times make an cool Corrupt Cop Trilogy, but this isn't quite as good as the other 2.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 20
RE: StreetKings - 22/4/2008 11:09:42 PM   
mackey

Thought it was a decent enough watch but I couldn't help but feeling there was a better film in there trying to get out.  Personally, I don't think Keanu is up to that kind of role and I just felt the whole thing was a bit diluted from what it could have been. 

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 21
RE: StreetKings - 23/4/2008 12:34:15 AM   
Dara

It was entertaining enough, though it got a bit silly at times.
Hugh Laurie and Chris Evans were quite good, I thought.
And some of the dialogue was great: "Secure that bullshit!"

www.fakedogfilms.com

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 22
- 23/4/2008 12:19:10 PM   
quizkid

this is as others have said a modern version of la confidential in many ways but it aint broke why fix it the only trouble iskeanu lacks the authority of say kurt russel in dark blue or christian bale in hard times hes not believably scuzzy enough good atmosphere and support fro m whittaker laurie jay mohr bloke from my fat greek wedding scrapes a 3

Post #: 23
The Last King of Neo - 23/4/2008 1:49:14 PM   
marty_mcfly84

Awful.

It took me 45 minutes to begin to believe in the characters, i saw the twist in the first 15 minutes and I honestly think Neo - sorry Reeves - should hang up his acting boots right now. The man cant act and i just dont feel anything for his character because of this. Forrest is far too stereotypical and its basically just a rehash of thousands of cop bosses that are out there already. If you want to see a good L.A film, dont waste your cash on this, go buy L.A Confidential.

Post #: 24
RE: The Last King of Neo - 25/4/2008 7:58:55 PM   
elab49

Spoilers

I was tremendously disappointed. I expect nothing from Reeves - no offence Mr Nathan but can you explain why so many reviewers excuse this utter vacuum of an actor? Is Joe Queenan right - does he get by because he's a pretty boy and people don't want the poor darling to cry?

Reeves is an utter blank at the centre of this movie. I get the impression they are trying to describe someone almost broken down on the edge - the alcohol, the attitude, seeming not to care if they get killed or not. But all you get from Reeves is a slightly dull puzzled look passing for strong emotion. Maybe is it like modern act - ART the play, in fact. A blank canvas people project their own story onto? But I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to work like that. Boy can't act - deal and move on.

The support is superb - Laurie showing why he was such a nasty turn in Spooks, Whittaker, probably wondering if he was doing another epi of The Shield - they did refer to the Barn at one point didn't they? Evans excellent (although his arc obvious) and Corbett unrecognisable. I didn't realise it was him till half way through.

The writing though. I like Ellroy's stuff, always have and some of the one-off lines were superb. I particularly liked the one about doing the department a favour and washing your mouth out with buckshot. But the review refers to a police procedural - was that a different film? This one couldn't remotely be categorised in the manner - certainly not in the way LA Confidential was. And I'm sorry - but was that supposed to be a twist? I assumed from the original shooting that that was what was going on, they didn't even try to hide it - and they seemed to change their mind as the last shot of Reeves looking at the perps seemed to indicate they were going that way too. So I never thought anything different - and then it turns out we weren't supposed to realise that from the off. Very badly done if so.

And it is, ultimately, a copy/paste from LA Confidential. A cafe/convenience story shooting expands to high level corruption with the friendly boss in it up to his ears and the use of previous arrests of cops in the squad as part of the plot.

Overall, the support might just pull it up to a 3 but not by much. A solid 2, for me.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 29/4/2008 4:18:09 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to marty_mcfly84)
Post #: 25
Street Kings - 30/4/2008 3:13:57 PM   
JoseJones

My initial reaction to Street Kings during the first 20 minutes of the film was, maybe Keanu was miscast here, but after allowing him the benefit of the doubt, I discovered a very subtle and nuanced performance of great depth. You really find his character, Tom Ludlow, a messed-up, knocked around guy who has sustained great damage in his life and he's paying for it in many ways... This is not a film, it is a movie, meaning it's meant to be enjoyed and not overly anal-yzed. There are plenty of twists and turns in this story. A rogue cop with few friends on the force, who has a CO that may or may not have his back is a cool premise. The movie delivers, and has plenty of action. Great supporting cast. Soundtrack music supported the action and did not detract from the story. The city of Los Angeles is presented in a cool, atmospheric way. You really have a cool sense of place going on here. Keanu was great. It's an enjoyable action film. I'm glad I checked it out.

Post #: 26
A Fine Action Thriller. - 25/8/2008 10:05:46 AM   
joanna likes films

I rented this out and saw it last night, it was full of action and betryal over one man's fatal mistake. The cast were good in it, Keanu Reeves is back from a long time of not doing any action movies and he steals the show with his broken down pefomance as Tommy Ludlow. I couldn't believe Hugh Laurie was in it, he was impressive as well as Forest Whittaker after his successful Oscar win in The Last King Of Scotland and Chris Evans is good as the upcoming cop (my sister secretly fancies him!) In all, a fine action thriller worthy of a Sunday night.

Post #: 27
- 23/12/2008 10:44:17 AM   
gepete80

Some one mentioned to me very recently that Keanu Reeves can only play Keanu Reeves. It certainly seems to be a fair observation, as Reeves never seems to have pulled one out of the bag. His only stand-out roles have been because he suited the role, and not because he brought some thing to it. He was perfect in the Matrix as in essence Neo was a zombie until he was awoken and even then he only needed to be brooding, something Keanu does all the time. He also fit Johnny Utah and Jack Traven because they suited his style so just thank your lucky stars he didn’t get Wolverine.

So in Detective Tom Ludlow you’d hope Reeves would find something to bring out. Playing an alcoholic copper who’ll do whatever he can to nail the bad guy, this is akin to Constantine which he was fairly good in (unfortunately the film wasn’t). Supported by the undeniably talented Forrest Whittiker surely he could make something of this.

The problem here is that Reeves has one of two facial expressions: Frowning and looking perplexed. Its something he uses to the hilt here as his Detective is caught up in first an Internal Affairs investigation and then in his old partners murder. There is also evidence of a snarling which has never really been evident before (hooorraayyy he now has 3!!) and of remorse (4. He’s on a role!).

But then that’s it (ohhh shame). In effect what we get here is a pissed off Keanu, who finds out something weird is going on and in a up-to-date LA Confidential stylee goes to find the people responsible to bust a cap in der ass. I can never entirely work out if this is a completely bad thing as I do quite like Reeves but I can see why he’ll never win a best actor Oscar at any rate.

Forrest Whittiker does show him how its done, as the boss whos not exactly clean himself, and there’s a nice sober turn from Chris Evans, who helps Ludlow in his hunt. The film though is fairly formulaic, and we certainly have seen this all before, and better done as well. It is fairly bloody and brutal but there is nothing here that is especially unique or interesting and it actually took me 2 attempts to watch it as the first time I got a bit bored and tuned out.

So for now we await Keanu returning to a Neo-Zen type state in The Day the Earth Stood Still and wonder if somewhere, somehow he might come alive. Ooooo Bill and Ted 3 might be made……….

Post #: 28
Good old-fashioned cop movie - 7/4/2010 9:18:33 PM   
djphilips

I am simply crazy about cop movies, which is probably why you won't fall in love with Street Kings the way I did. What most impressed me was the writing: it is such a throwback to the police genre that it will make fans want to pause and rewind the film. Reeves and the rest of the cast are all adequate and make the film even more enjoyable, while Ayer's efforts certainly don't go unnoticed as he is evidently passionate towards his work.
As the title says, this is a good old-fashioned cop movie. Watch it if you like the genre.

Post #: 29
Cateir de Pheniox - 3/12/2010 7:22:30 PM   
Cateir de Pheniox

Absolute racist sterotypical shit! All the acting was shit. Hugh Laurie was completly out of place as a US cop and worst of all was Keanu Reeves who is one terrible actor, he hasn't performed wellin any of his films and he only worked in the Matrix because he did not say much as he was more of a stunt man than an actor in that film

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Street Kings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI