Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cars 2 & A Ton More 'Toons

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cars 2 & A Ton More 'Toons Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cars 2 & A Ton More 'Toons - 9/4/2008 8:44:30 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Yeah Baby!!! - 9/4/2008 8:44:30 AM   
gambit01

Bring 'em on!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Cars 2 & A Ton More 'Toons - 9/4/2008 9:21:52 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I'm looking forward to Bolt.

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 3
Wow, That's So Cool! - 9/4/2008 9:30:58 AM   
joanna likes films

Well, Disney is going to be a busy company in the next few years. Looking forward for the Princess and The Frog as it's going back to the cartoon which I love more than Pixar. Some of them sound really good, very funny about the Tinkerbell movies (why the hell is there three or four of them?!) but in all, very cool. Thanks Empire for the news!

Post #: 4
No Incredibles 2? - 9/4/2008 9:35:25 AM   
rams

Don't get me wrong,these all sound fine(well,with the exception of Tinkerbell)but if you're really going to do a sequel from Pixar,then It's got to be The Incredibles(but only of directed by Bird),Cars is a good movie but not as deserving of a sequel as other Pixar titles.
Still,Toy Story 3 is good news and UP seems great.

Post #: 5
- 9/4/2008 9:41:49 AM   
Roland Deschain

I'm hoping that the reason for Cars 2 is not just a quick buck money maker (because I too would like to believe that Pixar is better than that) but instead is Pixar trying to make up for their misfire by proving there is a story worth telling with these characters and that they can make up for past mistakes.

Post #: 6
- 9/4/2008 9:51:16 AM   
steveg66

Would have preferred an Incredibles 2. There was obvious potential for sequels there.

Post #: 7
Fantastic...! - 9/4/2008 9:53:42 AM   
britesparc

Wow, that's a terrific line up! REALLY looking forawrd to Newt now, and The Bear & the Bow sounds really interesting too. Like others, I'm amazed the merely-above-average Cars is getting a sequel; I wonder if it's coz it's a Lasseter dream project? He runs the studio, he calls the shots I guess! I'd much rather see Incredibles 2 because there's more they can do with that world, but as is often the case with Pixar, it's the original films that look the strongest.

Post #: 8
- 9/4/2008 10:07:29 AM   
Adrian

Actually, I'm amazed Cars didn't get a sequel sooner. I mean, sure not Pixar's biggest success, but first, as you say.. the merchandising = $$$$$, but also is that.. well... the story possibilities for the world they created there is almost endless. I mean... pick a form of motorsport, and there's a new story.

Post #: 9
Some good, some not. - 9/4/2008 10:11:38 AM   
theunwashedmass

I thought Lasseter was gonna kill the straight to dvd shit? Does the world really need ONE Tinkerbell film, let alone 3? Why a cars sequel? It was the weakest pixar film; not funny, preachy, syrupy sentimental shite that stretched the pixar formula to a gratingly illogical bursting point ("What if CARS were like PEOPLE!?!?"). Glad to see that some of the upcoming Pixar films break from the formula, except for that Newt thing: "What if NEWTS were like PEOPLE!??!". Also welcome return for trad animation. A world without Disney animation seems a little incomplete, no matter how rotten its output may have become at one point or another. This is a long post, I suppose I had more to say about this than I initially thought.

Play me off, Johnny...

Post #: 10
All sound good - 9/4/2008 10:18:09 AM   
bigmurds1

Apart from tinkerbell and Bear and Bow. Love the more comedic ones but really didn't like Beauty and beast or Mulan.

Post #: 11
Cars was okay.... - 9/4/2008 11:00:44 AM   
the ageless stranger

.....but not great. Pixar's most mediocre film, I'd say, and much more kiddy-oriented then Pixar's usual balance of child and adult pleasing.  If they were going to do a sequel to anything, I'd agree with others here and say why the hell aren't they going for The Incredibles? That's just begging for one. As for the other films, some of them sound pretty interesting. Wall-E's a given, but Up sounds like it could be classic Pixar.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to bigmurds1)
Post #: 12
NEWTS??? - 9/4/2008 11:25:48 AM   
chrysalisloall

That sounds rubbish, tbh. The other pixar stuff looks ok though, I reckon they picked cars because it is quite similar to toy story, and the incredibles was a one off, because otherwise it might become just another team of superheros movie. I think they should stick to doing one-offs, with occasional shorts in that world, eg, a second ratatouille would be rubbish, thoughthe first was great, and an occasional 5 minute reminder that this is why that film was good could also be good.

Post #: 13
Cars 2?! - 9/4/2008 11:26:09 AM   
Seamie

Noooooooo!!!! Rapunzel looks amazing though, if you google it you should come across some lovely work from them. Can't wait to see it.

Post #: 14
BUSY BUSY BUSY - 9/4/2008 11:40:53 AM   
mozzy_gal

Wow go Disney! I'm really looking forward to "Up" (bizarre titile though). The storyline caught my eyes and it looks a bit like a tear-jerker but definitley sounds good! Not to sure about the Tink films...looks like a wste of time and money but lets wait and see.

Post #: 15
I'm the awkward bastard that LOVED Cars... - 9/4/2008 11:45:46 AM   
LeChuck

...so I'm pleasantly surprised by the sequel announcement, though I can't lie; it IS a strange choice of project, and I can't immediately see a logical place for that story and those characters to go. I have faith in Pixar, so I'll see how it turns out.

Their other stuff all sounds very promising, and I'm impressed by its diversity and eclecticism; Toy Story 3 is a given, Up sounds very nice, and The Bear and the Bow really sounds like something new for Pixar. I'm most excited about Newt, though; Gary Rydstrom really impressed me with Lifted, and the idea of Pixar doing an out-and-out romantic comedy intrigues me. Bring them all on, I say!

Post #: 16
RE: I'm the awkward bastard that LOVED Cars... - 9/4/2008 11:51:26 AM   
kumar

They all sound fantastic, PIXAR are nothing but genius. But, if any of the films deserved a sequel, its the Incredibles. I cant wait for any of these films!

i dont know what it is abuot pixar, how do they do it?!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to LeChuck)
Post #: 17
RE: Some good, some not. - 9/4/2008 12:36:13 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: theunwashedmass
I thought Lasseter was gonna kill the straight to dvd shit?

That's what I was thinking as I read the article. There was definitely some announcement recently, or it was said as part of a bigger interview/statement, that Disney would no longer be diluting their stuff by doing straight-to-dvd sequels. Someone like Steve Jobs said it I think. Although I'm probably horribly mis-remembering at this point....

Unless that promise excluded straight-to-dvd originals. Which I guess is slightly different, if a project is aimed for the home entertainment market from the get-go, rather than cashing in on a highly successful original, like The Lion King.

Is it just me, or does the premise for Newt sounds very grown up? Pixar are certainly less and less 'kiddy' with each passing film (Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up seem to be following that trend) but if these two blue footed newts have to re-populate the earth, then there's gonna be a big healthy dose of S.E.X. (spell it out for the kids in the room!), if not on show, then certainly alluded to. I really like the direction the studio is taken, I just hope parents of all the lickle kids feel the same!

Oh well, I guess that's who Cars II will be aimed at.

(in reply to theunwashedmass)
Post #: 18
- 9/4/2008 1:48:19 PM   
spikespiegel

all look great and typically original/ambitious (apart from tinkerbell and cars 2) - cars was easily their worst film. Up in particular looks great.

Post #: 19
Tell Uwe Boll to stop making things. - 9/4/2008 2:10:41 PM   
sowasred2012

I don't understand why this hasn't made Empire's news, but it'd be brilliant if it happened; Uwe Boll stupidly said that if one million people sign a petition that he stop making films, he will comply. It's been up since about Friday and there's already over 130,000 signatures, sign it if you hate Uwe Boll and/or are concerned for the welfare of cinema in general!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?RRH53888

< Message edited by sowasred2012 -- 9/4/2008 2:11:18 PM >

Post #: 20
Cars is the best Pixar of the lot! - 9/4/2008 2:57:11 PM   
MyPOV

Having watched Cars many many times with my kids, I feel compelled to defend Cars. From a kids point of view it is tremendously entertaining especially when you bring the toys / merchandising into it. But I also think the story and the characters really hold up well. It is also by far the most beautiful and detailed visually.

Post #: 21
All sounds good. - 9/4/2008 3:20:20 PM   
Taz69

Wall-E will be a classic; it has all the looks of one and the trailer is brilliant and hilarious (ah Wall really has human characteristics if he repeated hitsting the button a hundred times even though it doesn't work)
Cars wasn't great but it had it's moments and Cars 2 should exist only for more of Jeremy Clarkson doing a jewish accent as Lightning McQueen's agent.

Post #: 22
RE: Cars is the best Pixar of the lot! - 9/4/2008 3:22:31 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

The reason there's no sequel to The Incredibles is that Brad Bird doesn't have a story for one - it's as simple as that.

(in reply to MyPOV)
Post #: 23
RE: Cars is the best Pixar of the lot! - 9/4/2008 3:30:57 PM   
elab49

To feel you need to defend a film by bringing the merchandising into it kind of makes the point. Visually it is wonderful - story was awful and most voices kinda boring. I rejoice in my 5yos nephews dislike of it - gives me hope for his taste.

The intriguing one, for me, is the one we won't see till 2012 - Disney doing Philip K Dick isn't the most natural of combinations, I think. SOmeone over at AICN said there were initial drawings of them as well and it didn't look too bad.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 24
where is ... - 9/4/2008 3:32:20 PM   
waltham1979

.... a sequel to The Incredibles??!! that was superb - better than Crap (i mean Cars) !!

Post #: 25
where is ... - 9/4/2008 3:32:55 PM   
waltham1979

.... a sequel to The Incredibles??!! that was superb - better than Crap (i mean Cars) !!

Post #: 26
- 9/4/2008 3:45:38 PM   
maxthom

i think king of the elves will be the most fun, mainly cause it's Phillip freakin k. dick. all the others (part from tinker bell) look very promising

Post #: 27
Mixed - 9/4/2008 4:14:50 PM   
Roll

WALL•E
UP
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
TOY STORY 3
RAPUNZEL
CARS 2

The above all sound fantastic. The others, well, not so much. Some are good ideas, but not really feature length Disney. But i'll keep an open mind for these. The Bear and the Bow sounds absolutely terrible, and i'm Scottish. And as for BOLT, JT Miley Cyrus and a talking dog? Need I say more?

Post #: 28
RE: Some good, some not. - 9/4/2008 4:36:18 PM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: theunwashedmass
I thought Lasseter was gonna kill the straight to dvd shit?

That's what I was thinking as I read the article. There was definitely some announcement recently, or it was said as part of a bigger interview/statement, that Disney would no longer be diluting their stuff by doing straight-to-dvd sequels. Someone like Steve Jobs said it I think. Although I'm probably horribly mis-remembering at this point....

Unless that promise excluded straight-to-dvd originals. Which I guess is slightly different, if a project is aimed for the home entertainment market from the get-go, rather than cashing in on a highly successful original, like The Lion King.

He said he was getting rid of straight-to-DVD sequels, like Jungle Book 2 and shite like that.  Disney were working on a DVD Toy Story 3 when Pixar "took over" and he shitcanned that.

But the Tinkerbell series was designed from the ground up to be a TV and DVD franchise; it's not a sequel, it's a whole new "thing".  It's designed to compete with the likes of Bratz - that is, it's for slightly older girls, 10-13 sorta age group.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho

Is it just me, or does the premise for Newt sounds very grown up? Pixar are certainly less and less 'kiddy' with each passing film (Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up seem to be following that trend) but if these two blue footed newts have to re-populate the earth, then there's gonna be a big healthy dose of S.E.X. (spell it out for the kids in the room!), if not on show, then certainly alluded to. I really like the direction the studio is taken, I just hope parents of all the lickle kids feel the same!

Oh well, I guess that's who Cars II will be aimed at.

Yeah, I agree with this.  The Incredibles was about a married couple approaching middle age (and certainly alluded to sex a couple of times), Ratatouille certainly feels (funnily enough) like it takes place in a real world... even Cars had a sophistication about it arguably lacking in the likes of Monster's Inc or Finding Nemo.  I love the idea of Pixar doing a proper romcom, even a sex comedy - with newts!  It's fantastic.  And with Up and Toy Story 3 looking like they're touching on age and (whisper it) death, it suggests a growing maturity to the studio that should be applauded with hands the size of Saturn.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 29
- 9/4/2008 8:24:13 PM   
Adrian

i think a lot here are being... shall we say... somewhat sheeplike? in their judgement of certin titles. and incorrectly so even. i refer to those who condemn Cars. unless I'm muchly mistaken, Empire - and most other publications never said Cars is absolute dire crap. just that compared to the other works, it's not /quite/ up to the usual seemless blend of appeal for all-comers. it has 2 major fan groups. kids, and car lovers. only know what? it has many fans beyond these. so if you lot /must/ try to sound clever by just agreeing to whatever is written, at least get what is written in the correct context eh? Personally, I loved Cars. it had great characters and was beautiful and - for a car-nut like me had a lot of cool in-jokes and things to spot. also had an amazing cast who did very wll i thought. andits scope for a sequel covers almost any motorsport ou care to conjour and then some. (personally, I'm kinda expecting some lemans-alike race. McQueen looks a bit like a GT racer).

the 4 tinkerbell films (yes. 4. learn to count all those of you who keep putting 3) is a bit much though... they should've anounced just the first and waited to see how that went down first. by all means they might be great, but no on wants to see 4 of anything like that.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cars 2 & A Ton More 'Toons Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI