Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 20/4/2008 12:36:29 PM   
richCie

ahh thats alright as long as you've got them...
glad to hear the stag party was a success :P

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 91
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 25/4/2008 3:18:30 PM   
TylerDurdenRevival

Overall a really good list. Glad to see the 2 movies I'm absolutely obsessive about, Aliens and Fight Club, maintaining their high positions.

"You know Burke, I don't know which species is worse - you don't see them fucking each other over for a goddam percentage".

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 92
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 25/4/2008 3:32:02 PM   
Sinatra

No "Gone With The Wind" or  Where Eagles Dare" ?????????..............Fucking bunch of peasants....

(and Donnie Fucking Darko still there???)

(in reply to TylerDurdenRevival)
Post #: 93
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 29/4/2008 3:09:27 PM   
claytonmeister

guys the poll looks the nuts, like the images to accompany each write up! awesome. The normal films made it in. Alot I haven't seen will definately be seeking out Seven Samurai!

"My father died when he was making love to a 20 year old. He came and went at the same time!" Richard Pryor

"You mean I'm black does dad know!?"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 94
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 30/4/2008 7:34:23 PM   
Spengler

Did you get my PM Clowny?

Traitor

(in reply to claytonmeister)
Post #: 95
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 5/5/2008 7:07:42 PM   
Barraluke

I thought this Top 100 list was, overall, fantastic, with the top 10 in particular easy to agree with. However, the problems arrived when I got down to number fifty-one. Amelie? Better than Apocalypse Now? And better than Saving Private Ryan? I believe that Amelie is a good film, yet is it really better than the classic Apocalypse Now? Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Spielberg should be upset at their lowly places for two of the best films they have produced.
Also, the powerful Schindler's list at number 73, and no Tim Burton? Where was Burton's work - Sleepy Hollow, The Nightmare Before Christmas (161), Edward Scissorhands was recognised, but at (158). That's a Crime against Film!
I noticed three massive voids in this Top 100:
  1. Ben Hur
  2. Lawrence of Arabia
  3. King Kong (either version)

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 96
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 14/5/2008 10:44:34 AM   
Jasper

The thing with King Kong is that if you ignore every shit effect, what you're left with are just shit actors and inane dialogue. It's practically the same with Lawrence of Arabia. Ignore the sand, you're left with nothing.  

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"

(in reply to Barraluke)
Post #: 97
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 20/5/2008 7:49:33 PM   
I am Tetsuo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barraluke

Amelie is a good film, yet is it really better than the classic Apocalypse Now? Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Spielberg should be upset at their lowly places for two of the best films they have produced. 

Yeah, they probably think the've been robbed until they remember they are multi-millionaires, sipping Pina coladas in Hawaii, while reading said article and think "I wont let it bother me because my Ferrari is brand new and I Just bought a new mansion in the Hamptons".

I woke up at 10 O'Clock today. I would have got up sooner.... But I was asleep.

(in reply to Barraluke)
Post #: 98
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 22/6/2008 10:36:54 PM   
richCie

my blurb for Once Upon A Time In The West is still not up.
*cries*

So here it is:

“I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.”

From the beautifully shot vistas of the American west, to Ennio Morricone’s sweeping score, this is truly a cinematic masterwork. The tale of Charles Bronson’s Harmonica is a gripping from start to finish. The now almost legendary opening is growing tension writ large. The dripping water; the buzzing fly, the weary anger of the gunmen and the slowly building crescendo of the approaching train, leads to a short, but climatic gun fight. The introduction of Harmonica is one of the cinema’s greatest opening scenes. The film tracks the progress of Harmonica as he unravels the truth behind Frank, Cheyenne and the killing of the McBain family. It all builds to the epic final confrontation between Cheyenne and Harmonica. Once Upon A Time in the West is a glorious example of the successes of the western, and it remains a breathtaking film to this day.

hint hint

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to I am Tetsuo)
Post #: 99
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 6/7/2008 7:15:10 PM   
Halloweenfreak

Glad you had Halloween, The Thing, Pan's Labyrinth and many more some of them I wouldn't of considered to be great which I'm not going to name lol....for when you redo your top 100 list it would be good to at least see Juno and Cloverfield in there and perhaps Rambo cause there three of the best new films released this year plus there some of my best films

"I met this 6 year old child with this blank, pale emtionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devils eyes"- Dr.Loomis 'Halloween'

"These are the eyes of a Psychopath"

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

Post #: 100
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 7/7/2008 3:08:30 PM   
mejaars

Bit late with my reaction, but why is Silence of the Lambs not there, it is deifinitely better than Seven (with a 'v' please, the whole se7en crap started way after the release, it makes me cry) and started a whole genre. Not too mention all the Oscars it receiced (okay, bad reason, Braveheart, I'm looking at you).
But generally speaking, nice list!

< Message edited by mejaars -- 7/7/2008 3:11:28 PM >

- Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong -

Post #: 101
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 29/7/2008 4:22:04 PM   
Squave

Having now had a more thorough look over the list I must thank everyone involved. As usual lots of work has gone into the list and also as usual it's the highlight of the forum year. Well done.  

Firstly, I must say Im disappointed by the lack of foreign films included, I counted only 15 films made outside of America, 6 of those British (I also think there should be more British entries, next year I shall be pushing Powell and Pressburger's classic A Matter of Life and Death and Shane Meadows brilliant Dead Man's Shoes). But I suppose its to be expected with the general fanbase surrounding America and the current climate of film viewers being swayed to all things English language based. 

Despite this there's still room for errors within the walls of genres: How Shaun of the Dead can deserve a place when there's none for Airplane is also beyond me. Its also extremely disappointing to see genuinely brilliant films such as Lawrence of Arabia, Badlands, Spirited Away and Annie Hall replaced by films which, in my opinion aren't in the same league such as The Departed, Serenity, Stand By Me and especially Heat. I really really hope people catch on to how average it is.

However there are many positives in a list, that despite being made up of films from mostly one country can still boast Kurosawa, Leone and a silent. Though not the one I would have picked (Hotchcock's Backmail) Sunrise is definately the most welcome addition in this years list.

While its not the best film ever, and I doubt it topped many peoples lists Shawshank completes the double as its currently the magazines number 1 film since issue 201. Though im disappointed to see the Godfather replaced its a welcome change in many ways too. The 90s complete their superiority over the 70s as the dominant decade and the forum finally completes its transformation into imdb. Odds on the Dark Knight making the top 3 next year must be supremely short.

Unfortunately popular culture is finally rearing its head above quality as Goodfellas beats both Godfathers and City of God in the battle of the crime epics. While let it never be said that we don't know our thrillers, Fight Club, Seven and The Usual Suspects deserve their place on any list. Popularity wise is their a chance that next year we may have an original Star Wars Film outside of the Top 100, Return Of The Jedi is on the brink.

All in all a list that, while not overly suprising or diverse has provided enough scandal and suprises to keep me thoroughally entertained. Well done Clowny, if possible you should be elected as some kind of president. Though I dont think its possible, so dont get your hopes up.  Excellent.

Post #: 102
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 29/7/2008 4:26:33 PM   
Squave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper

The thing with King Kong is that if you ignore every shit effect, what you're left with are just shit actors and inane dialogue. It's practically the same with Lawrence of Arabia. Ignore the sand, you're left with nothing.  

You there! Explain yourself..   Lawrence of Arabia is action packed, huge on scale and contains some of the largest and best battles ever filmed. Its also basically the blueprint for every epic film since (except Epic Movie), which to be fair is like hammering nails into your own eyes.

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 103
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 4/8/2008 11:46:06 AM   
Miso_Jace

Titanic, Serenity, Donnie Darko & Lost In Translation higher on the list than Return of The Jedi, Downfall & Children of Men??!!

Also, no Gone With The Wind, no Spirited Away, no Eraserhead, no original The Wicker Man, no The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, what the hell happened??!!

I'll certainly say that the list is mostly made up of brilliant films, but I would argue that there are some horrendous omissions, and in places it's been put in the wrong order.

Those friends thou hast, and by their adoption tried, Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel!

(in reply to Squave)
Post #: 104
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 4/8/2008 1:13:26 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miso_Jace

I'll certainly say that the list is mostly made up of brilliant films, but I would argue that there are some horrendous omissions, and in places it's been put in the wrong order.

I think you'll find that because there were four people adding up the votes for the poll that the films of the Top 100 are in fact in the correct order...  

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Miso_Jace)
Post #: 105
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 4/8/2008 1:17:45 PM   
Miso_Jace

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miso_Jace

I think you'll find that because there were four people adding up the votes for the poll that the films of the Top 100 are in fact in the correct order...  

Hardeharharhar. I know what I meant, Lost In Translation was dreadful, just because people voted for it doesn't make it right hehehe.

Those friends thou hast, and by their adoption tried, Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 106
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 24/8/2008 6:30:54 PM   
a workclock orange

some great films in there. Donnie darko should have been further up though

You don't believe in the Force do you.
Oh, you mean that thing you found out about like 3 hours ago and are now judging me for not believing in.

(in reply to Miso_Jace)
Post #: 107
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 27/8/2008 8:56:30 PM   
leesith

aint got many arguments with the list but i have got a couple.
a couple o films are in the top ten and while not many ppl will agree they are absolute tosh.
they are fight club and pulp fiction.they are wot oasis are to music.poop
now i'm no movie expert and frankly don't care for bein one but these films are total crap.
quentin tarantino has probably done 1 maybe 2 great films.the 1 for me is from dusk til dawn.kill bill was ok.
all his other stuff has been crap.sorry but it has.
and as for fight club wot a totally boring piece o junk.nothing happened in fact when i 1st watched it on dvd i fell asleep.
now don't go giving me shit about not understanding these films cos i did,they were and are crap.

shaken,not stirred

Post #: 108
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 27/8/2008 9:36:49 PM   
rupert303

Shawshank....why oh why oh why!

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 109
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 1:27:37 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: leesith

aint got many arguments with the list but i have got a couple.
a couple o films are in the top ten and while not many ppl will agree they are absolute tosh.
they are fight club and pulp fiction.they are wot oasis are to music.poop
now i'm no movie expert and frankly don't care for bein one but these films are total crap.
quentin tarantino has probably done 1 maybe 2 great films.the 1 for me is from dusk til dawn.kill bill was ok.
all his other stuff has been crap.sorry but it has.
and as for fight club wot a totally boring piece o junk.nothing happened in fact when i 1st watched it on dvd i fell asleep.
now don't go giving me shit about not understanding these films cos i did,they were and are crap.

Hmm...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 110
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 7:31:51 PM   
leesith

so you a movie expert are ya clownfoot.
more like a fucking clown.
if you'd read the next 7 words after the ones ya highlighted then you'd realise i'm admitting i aint.
go get te drinks
aussies,bred for barwork

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 111
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 7:37:38 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

if you'd read the next 7 words after the ones ya highlighted then you'd realise i'm admitting i aint.
go get te drinks
aussies,bred for barwork

Not a film expert and not too bright either. It says Austria...

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 112
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 7:43:36 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

go get te drinks
aussies,bred for barwork

Yay.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 113
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 7:50:50 PM   
leesith

ok clown
austrians,bred for FUCK ALL.

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 114
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 8:14:32 PM   
Mikey C

Crikey, are you ok?

This is a list of films, voted by members of the forum. Some you'll think are good, some you won't.

Clownfoot isn't from Austria or Australia.

Swearing at moderators isn't big or clever. Usually.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 115
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 28/8/2008 10:36:26 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ok clown
austrians,bred for FUCK ALL.

Good thing I'm from Essex then, you goof...

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 116
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 29/8/2008 6:22:53 AM   
leesith

oh yeah clown how good at your job are you if ppl can't express an opinion without bein harassed

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 117
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 29/8/2008 9:26:10 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

oh yeah clown how good at your job are you if ppl can't express an opinion without bein harassed

Well, you're not exactly being harrassed. It's quite amusing how a simple "hmm" has you disparing about being oppressed, but on the other foot it's quite okay for you to be abusive in return. People can express an opinion, but if you're going to make contradictory sentiments and go down the route of expressing a film is shit without actually reasoning why this is the case, then people will rightly pick you up on it.

And you do realise From Dusk Till Dawn is a Robert Rodriguez movie, not a Tarantino one? 

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 118
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 30/8/2008 8:33:20 AM   
leesith

well as i said i'm no movie expert.
gotta say i like ya little ash.
evil dead 2 is one of my fave films

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 119
RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! - 9/9/2008 12:05:41 AM   
Squave

Well i think thats you off the hook then. Clowny has been known to propose at such news.. 

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Forums Top 100 Favourite Films 2008! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI