Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New 90210 spin off

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> New 90210 spin off Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New 90210 spin off - 1/4/2008 1:51:16 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Ok back in the day Bevily Hills 90210 was the shit. Now that bloke behind Veronica Mars is bringing the show back and here's the deal with regards to how its going to go down.

Soruce www.eonline.com

"It's really happening, and it's happening at warp speed. That's what inside sources reveal about the CW's Beverly Hills, 90210 remake.
We've checked in with sources to dig up some exclusive info on the project—the timing, the characters, the premise and more. So slap on your best acid-wash jeans and fluorescent banana clip and keep reading for the goods...

According to CW insiders, Rob Thomas' outline has already been written and delivered, but the pilot script is expected on Monday, if not before the end of the week. The CW will most likely fast-track the series for fall. In fact, producers have been given just two weeks to cast it, and yes, that process will probably include the hiring of a couple of old 90210 favorites!

Tori Spelling and Ian Ziering have already said they'd be happy to come on board. And word is, Mark Piznarski, who directed the Veronica Mars pilot (and inspired Chris Lowell's character, Piz) will helm the first episode.As for the characters:

The "Jim Walsh":  Harry Mills is a teacher who has a real do-gooder way about him and is considered the "cool parent.” Sounds a little more like Sandy Cohen than Jim Walsh, actually.
The "Cindy Walsh":  Celia Mills gets work as a personal trainer in Beverly Hills, where she likely interacts with many a guest star. She usually plays the disciplinarian role in the family.
The "Brenda Walsh":  Annie Mills is into theater acting, just like her predecessor. But instead of "Color Me Badd," she's listening to emo bands. She yearns to fit in with the alternative crowd but leans a lot on her adopted brother, Dixon, too.

The "Brandon Walsh":  Dixon Mills was taken in by the family about six years ago and has grown close to his adopted sister, though she originally didn't want him around. He's very bright, driven and well adjusted, but when in foster care, he definitely had the Ryan Atwood gene, getting into fights weekly. They're looking for a minority—black or mixed race—for this role.

The "Kelly Taylor":  Daphne Silver's character goes simply by "Silver” (so you know who she's related to, right?) and has a popular YouTube series à la LonelyGirl15 (in a bikini). She and Annie become fast friends, and she pines for Annie's brother, Dixon, hoping to be the first Jewish girl at Beverly Hills High with a black boyfriend.

The Newbies:  Navid, the Persian kid, is the executive producer of BHHS's television newscast. Forget the Blaze, it's all about TV journalism now. He's a total politician and can fit in with every group in school. Meanwhile, Ethan Ward is the dim-witted popular boy who falls from grace when his bitchy and spoiled girlfriend, Naomi, destroys his reputation at her Sweet 16 party in the pilot. His attention will soon turn to Annie.

Instead of the Peach Pit, the kids hang out at the Silver Screens Theater (yes, owned by Silver's family) in the Century City mall, where Annie gets a job as a concessionaire. (Shades of Fast Times, no?) Max, Silver's 24-year-old brother, runs the place, and we soon realize he's hiding a secret...something about their missing parents.
    So...thoughts? Comment below. Sad to not see more tie-ins with the original 9-0 crew? Here's hoping that Daphne Silver has a cousin named Erin, half sister of David Silver and Kelly Taylor, who often stops by to say "What up?"..."

Here's more info

"Fellow 9-0 fans, just wanted to let you know that our friend Rob Thomas has finished the first draft of the pilot for the Beverly Hills, 90210 spinoff, and I'm happy to report that he's made a young BH High student by the name of Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez the host of the school's Blaze news show. How great is that?! Unfortunately, Miss Hannah only graces one quick scene with her presence, but we have our fingers crossed for more appearances to come...and perhaps a cameo by her accomplished parents, Andrea and Jesse?
    And speaking of roles for a few of our old West Bev friends, word is Mr. Thomas has his heart set on Jennie Garth reprising her role as Kelly Taylor, who would now be a fashion design teacher at BHHS. With Jennie signed on to shoot a CBS pilot this season, we're not sure if that idea will make the final cut, but we certainly hope so.
    Need more? Rumor has it that some of the series regulars will TP the Spelling mansion in that first ep as an homage to the original show. They're also rocking a party at the Beverly Hills Hotel—why it's not at the Bel Age, I don't know—and making reservations at the Peach Pit, which has clearly become much higher class. I mean, reservations? Really?! "

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 27/7/2008 12:41:10 PM >

Films I've watched
    Star Trek Into Darkness ***
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***
    Post #: 1
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 1/4/2008 4:37:44 PM   
    theoriginalcynic

If Thomas is writing it it's worth a look - he's a great television writer - see Veronica Mars

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
    Post #: 2
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 1/4/2008 4:41:31 PM   
    Helo

Will certainly give this a go, loved Veronica Mars and must confess to watching 90210 back in the day.

"But it's Swiss!"

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 1/4/2008 5:40:15 PM   
    Kenny

Loved Veronica Mars, hated 90210, will hear what some people have to say about it once its aired. Until then its a no-sale for me.

Well Ive Had a Lovely Evening But This Wasnt It! - Groucho Marx

(in reply to Helo)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 1/4/2008 7:36:03 PM   
    Caster

Why not just create a whole new show?  Why exactly do we need a 'remake'?

(in reply to Kenny)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 1/4/2008 8:08:18 PM   
    The REAL Bozz

It's not a remake, it's more of a sequel. Some of the old characters will be back in this. I think it's cool.

Films I've watched
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Caster)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 12:26:58 AM   
    Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Why not just create a whole new show?  Why exactly do we need a 'remake'?

More to the point, why cancel the best teen show ever and then get its creator to produce...another one? As it's Thomas, I'm more interested than not - hopefully it'll be a Rob Thomas show with the 90210 brandname.

(in reply to Caster)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 12:37:13 AM   
    The REAL Bozz

It all seems like it will retain the OTT characters and setting of 90210. I hope he stays true to the old series but obviously dishes up some way more realistic dialogue and situations. I know a lot of people on here love the old Veronica Mars (Never got the buzz over that show) and word is Bell is going to be working with him again. He has 3 new shows to go this year so it may not be this. Guess she won't be sticking around on Heroes. She was one of the better parts of S2.

Films I've watched
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 12:43:07 AM   
    Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

He has 3 new shows to go this year so it may not be this.

What are the other two?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

Post #: 9
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 12:48:43 AM   
    The REAL Bozz

i dont know mate, if u follow that link on my first post to eonline and go to 'watch with kristen' u can read about em, Im not really a fan, I only know who he is due to him redoin 90210.

Films I've watched
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Dave B)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 12:56:36 AM   
    The Mighty

I just finished rewatching season 3 of Veronica Mars, so I can't wait to see how this turns out. Rob Thomas handled the teen stuff surprising well after they dialed down the mystery near the end of season 3, so I think this might be interesting. And I'm a huge fan of teen drama when they're done right, just watch the first or last season of The O.C for the perfect example.

Post #: 11
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 1:02:12 AM   
    Dave B

So Rob Thomas is doing two remakes and other show based on a New Zealand show. Come on Rob, one of the reasons Veronica Mars was so great was because it was so original, surely he can do better?

(in reply to The Mighty)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 1:07:06 AM   
    The REAL Bozz

To those of you who have never watched the original 90210 it was one of the first teen show's and was made by Arron Spelling. It started off ok and then became more like a OTT soap but it then began to gain a "so bad it's good" reputation. He seems to be a fan of the original and it was a guilty pleasure I think for those of us who are now in our early to mid 20's. From what I read from the article I posted I think this will be his take on 90210 but maintaining the more extravagant lifestyles of the earlier sereis. It wont be Veronica Mars 90210.

Films I've watched
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Dave B)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 2/4/2008 1:13:09 AM   
    Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

So Rob Thomas is doing two remakes and other show based on a New Zealand show. Come on Rob, one of the reasons Veronica Mars was so great was because it was so original, surely he can do better?

It's probably because Veronica Mars tanked that the studios have forced him to stick to preexisting material that they feel comfortable with. I've never heard of anyone remaking their own show before though.

(in reply to Dave B)
    Post #: 14
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 15/4/2008 12:58:58 PM   
    The REAL Bozz

Rob is now off the show. He'll remain as a consultant but the hunt is on for a new show runner and also a new script therefore expect changes from the bit's of plot info already released.

Films I've watched
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
    Post #: 15
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 16/4/2008 12:36:51 AM   
    Dave B

Well thats the one reason I had for watching the show gone.

Post #: 16
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 16/4/2008 11:06:54 PM   
    The Mighty

He's still going to be involved, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. If his other two shows get cancelled, he'll probably jump right back on board.

(in reply to Dave B)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 26/7/2008 8:00:57 PM   
    princessa

BUMP...here's some news...

The new pilot premieres on the CW on 2nd September on Tuesday (CAN'T WAIT!!!)

Here's first look at photo's from the two hour pilot...(warning contain's spoilers)

http://thetvaddict.com/2008/07/26/first-look-90210-2/#more-3862

For no spoilers and for clips (i don't know if they play in the UK) here's CW's 90210 website

http://cwtv.com/shows/90210

Shannon Doherty, Jenny Garth and Tori Spelling are cast in recurring roles as Brenda, Kelly and Donna.  Kelly is now a Guidance Counsellor at Beverly Hills High and Donna owns a boutique that the cast visit.  Oh and the Peach Pit is back with Nat but it's not a diner but a coffee shop.

Some more cast pictures.  IMO they look way too old to be playing highschoolers...

http://thetvaddict.com/2008/07/19/90210-meet-the-new-class/

Apparantly the CW are hoping that the 90210 will lift it out of it's low ratings...(http://www.watchingcw.com/does-90210-have-enough-zip/). 

Still i'm looking forward to this.  I love my teen drama's, yes they're cliched, silly and OTT...but they're fun.  So i hope that the new 90210 doesn't disappoint.  I for one will be watching this and hoping for the best.  Funny enough i watched the original and even though Donna and co are back (well at least some of them).  I'm more interested in the younger cast members and not the old ones.

(in reply to The Mighty)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 26/7/2008 11:20:48 PM   
    Zaphod121

Is that Michael from The Wire???

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to princessa)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 27/7/2008 9:43:38 AM   
    princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Is that Michael from The Wire???

Yes it is.

More News....

Rob Thomas is no longer involved...the main producers and writers have changed...

quote:

From Jeff Judah and Gabe Sachs, the creators of the hit television series Life As We Know It and producers of Freaks And Geeks  

Source...tv.com

http://www.tv.com/90210/show/75487/summary.html?q=90210&tag=search_results;title;1

Whatever you do, don't go onto their forum as it contains major spoilers...:)

Edited to add more info...

Here is a good article from USA Today (no spoilers).  They talk to the producers; there are character descriptions and cast photos.  Enjoy!

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-07-31-90210-main_N.htm#uslPageReturn  TALK WITH PRODUCERS

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-07-31-90210-side_N.htm
    CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/2008/l080731_90210/flash.htm?gid=646&aid=3059 CAST PHOTO'S (if this doesn't work there is a link to behind the scenes in the main article).

< Message edited by princessa -- 1/8/2008 6:18:48 PM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
    Post #: 20
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 3/9/2008 10:43:14 PM   
    Zaphod121

Bumping for Joedini

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to princessa)
    Post #: 21
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 3/9/2008 10:46:45 PM   
    Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Bumping for Joedini

crafty bastard

(in reply to Zaphod121)
    Post #: 22
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 3/9/2008 10:58:49 PM   
    Joedini

So anyway, apart from Zaphod who's copy is in transit ... Anyone catch this?
    I tend to attempt these shows with the hope of finding another Dawsons Creek or O.C (slate them if you will, i love them both). One Tree hill and Gossip Girl failed to draw me in (although I am reluctantly getting into the latter  thanks to my girlfriends season 1 boxset). This wasn't it either. Although it was closer than the others so far. The dialogue is sharp and a few of the characters are likeable enough.
    It's certainly got the "no way in hell are these people 16' thing down which is a trademark for these teen shows now.
    I stupidly didn't realise it was a double bill so i'm getting episode 2 sent to me first class, should be here by the morning.

Also love that they kept the original theme tune

(in reply to Joedini)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 4/9/2008 11:48:20 AM   
    The REAL Bozz

I thought this was excellent. As a 90210 head from back in the day it's cool to see they have kept the extravagance and the well lets be honest soap opera revalations coming thick and fast. I lost count of all the "ohhhhhhh" moments. "Wait.....you have another son!" hahaha. Class.

More so than Gossip Girl and OC and the now horribly dated Dawsons Creek this has pretty believable teens. Don't get me wrong, not the age but how they react. Like Ethan dumping Naiomi. The lad just couldnt be arsed with her crap anymore. I loved it. Whereas with GG and OC every time there's a break up it's like this huge tragic event, utter tosh when u compare it to this. Also all the characters seem good. Even the lead girl who I thought would be utter shite. Bit gutted Brenda and Kelly are all cosy, they should have been enemies. Hahaha. Will defo tune in next week

Films I've watched
    Iron Man 3 *****
    Evil Dead (2013) ***
    Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Joedini)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 5/9/2008 1:08:07 AM   
    Shifty Bench

I was a fan of the original BH 90210, but not a huge fan of the recent wave of teen dramas (The OC- blech!) so I was a bit wary of this. I was pleasantly surprised with this however. It was funny (though the first half was funnier, maybe that had more to do with Rob Thomas?), smart and had likeable characters.The rich-kids weren't too punch-in-the-face-able as other shows (The OC and GG) but like all teen shows, there is no way any of them are 15/16.  I love that Silver is David and Kelly's half-sister and thought the cameos were cool. I will be sticking with this for now, until another new show impresses me better (don't have time for them all, sadly).

Plus I wonder why some people in the media are referring to this as a re-boot where it is more obviously a sequel.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 25
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 5/9/2008 3:59:17 PM   
    Zaphod121

Never watched the original, but I really enjoyed this, the first part more so as I think it had a better script, as for the characters I think Dixon and his Journalist buddy are my faves as there the only ones who don't seem like total suck ups.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 5/9/2008 4:00:13 PM >

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
    Post #: 26
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 6/9/2008 3:40:40 PM   
    princessa

Watched this a few days ago.  TBH the first part was boring, the acting crap and the dialogue pretty bad.  However it did improve slightly in the second part. 

They really need to work on the characters.  The only one's i liked were Dixon, the Teacher and granny Wilson.  Everyone else is either dull or one dimensional.

Everything was so rushed and they tried to cram too much into this.  There were at least two plot revelations that could have been used later on in the series.  They need to work on the pace; slow things down alittle.  Less is more.

However i'll keep on watching and i am sure it will improve.  Afterall GG took a few weeks to get going.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
    Post #: 27
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 8/9/2008 12:12:12 AM   
    Dave B

Shocking, absolutely shocking, completely outdated rubbish. Nothing in this was remotely good in any way shape or form, the dialogue was atrocious, it contained every teen show cliche imaginable, the characters felt like they were lifted out of every other generic teen show around and most offensively of all, all the woman looked and acted exactly the same and were mostly dressed like hookers.

How could Rob Thomas, a writer who wrote brilliantly for women in Veronica Mars, be so out of touch and write such vapid characters? VM broke down all the typical well worn teen show cliches and this show is building them right back up again. Between this and the dreadful Big Shots, I wonder whether Rob Thomas has completely lost it.

Was fun seeing Sunnydale High again but that only reminds me of a much better show (and yes I realise the original 90210 used that as well). Worst of all, it makes me miss The O.C., that is how bad this show is.

< Message edited by Dave B -- 9/9/2008 3:10:37 PM >

(in reply to princessa)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 8/9/2008 12:33:45 AM   
    The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

Shocking, absolutely shocking, completely outdated rubbish. Nothing in this was remotely good in any way shape or form, the dialogue was atrocious, it contained every teen show cliche imaginable, the characters felt like they were lifted out of every other generic teen show around and most offensively of all, all the woman looked and acted exactly the same and were mostly dressed like hockers.

How could Rob Thomas, a writer who wrote brilliantly for women in Veronica Mars, be so out of touch and write such vapid characters? VM broke down all the typical well worn teen show cliches and this show is building them right back up again. Between this and the dreadful Big Shots, I wonder whether Rob Thomas has completely lost it.

Was fun seeing Sunnydale High again but that only reminds me of a much better show (and yes I realise the original 90210 used that as well). Worst of all, it makes me miss The O.C., that is how bad this show is.

I don't think Rob Thomas had much to do with this show. Wikipedia states that he spent about a week involved with the show before leaving to focus on his other projects.

(in reply to Dave B)
    Post #: 29
    RE: Rob Thomas new 90210 spin off - 8/9/2008 11:34:07 AM   
    Dave B

That would explain a lot but it still doesn't excuse this travesty of a show.

(in reply to The Mighty)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> New 90210 spin off Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI