Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Overrated

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Overrated Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Overrated - 23/4/2008 5:27:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

Totally loved it.  Well scripted, well acted, well paced.  Everyone did their job in service to the story, no scene-stealing or scenery-chewing (which I half expected after seeing the trailer), some genuinely funny humor with some strong human characters.  I cannot find any real fault in the film, although I can see why some people might not like it.  Totally offbeat and excellent.  It's great that someone has the guts to show some everyday un-pc humour in a film.  The non-PC jibes are  hardly offensive and presented in such a manner that only those looking to be offended would be upset, and if you're going to watch a film billed as a comedy then it should be for the entertainment factor.  One of the best films I've seen yet this year.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Often very funny yet strangely emotional as well. Quite excellent.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 31
Fanbloodytastic! - 23/4/2008 11:21:17 AM   
kcirtap

Well scripted, brilliant acted, casting Fiennes was genius! I'm going to watch it again!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
- 23/4/2008 6:41:45 PM   
timbailey60

Very, very clever in every way. A must see movie.

Post #: 33
RE: - 24/4/2008 2:22:01 PM   
matthewforan

Going into the film I was rather pessimistic about the chances of me enjoying this flick but I need not have doubted as everyone is on 5 star form. Really sharp funny dialogue with a great performance from Farrell reassuring people that there is more to him behind his good looks and that moustache he had in Miami Vice. And it's good to see that there is another film maker besides Guy Ritchie who can tap into this sense of tone and still keep his audience laughing.

All in all a really good cinema experience. 4/5

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to timbailey60)
Post #: 34
In Bruges - 27/4/2008 8:57:33 PM   
solid snake

Why is thsi getting such good reviews? Its really not that funny. i may smiled a couple of times but i never laughed out loud. Ralph Fiennes was the best thing about this shitfest and he was barley in it. So i cant really reccomend this even if Ralph Fiennes was brilliant.

Post #: 35
RE: Overrated - 29/4/2008 10:06:28 AM   
Queen Sue

This film is sick, sick, sick – and I absolutely loved it. It's like a guilty pleasure, you know you shouldn't really be laughing at something that is pretty violent and very un-PC and even quite shocking and sad in parts, but you can't help it, because it's brilliant. It actually makes you feel sorry for a couple of hit men. It restored my faith in Colin Farrell, who I had been thinking was just a waste of space – the whole cast was good.

I'm the Sheriff of Stationery Village

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 36
- 1/5/2008 8:57:00 AM   
captain jack harknes

Didn't really appeal to me but a 4 star review in empire and a cineworld unlimited pass meant I thought I may as well give it a go and I'm glad I did. Colin Farrell was excellent and there lots of laugh-out-loud moments but these were tempered by the beautifully acted emotional scenes by both lead actors. Thought the final scenes and particularly the ending were fantastic; overall I loved it.

Post #: 37
Sick, dark & deeply twisted..... - 1/5/2008 10:50:09 AM   
STARCHILE

.....so much that I may go see it again.

Seriously, for a debut the director has managed to combine a cracking, original story with 3 very fine british actors & put them up against the most unlikely setting.

Loved the dwarf too!

Post #: 38
Brilliant! - 1/5/2008 1:14:22 PM   
trueborndjross

This film is brilliant. You laugh at things you shouldn't really laugh at but that's half the point really. The characters are just that - characters! Especially Farrell who is excellent and really pulls off the petulant child act (loved the scuffing of his feet in the church). The rest of the cast is great as well and Fiennes plays the (biggest) villian of the piece perfectly ("What do you mean, it's 'not his thing'!" in reference to Ray's dislike of Bruge before embarking on a swear fest - classic!). And yes, I do want to go there now. Looks really nice!

Post #: 39
RE: In Bruges - 16/5/2008 6:31:23 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Just seen this now, after being released an age ago, it seems. Very funny and surprisingly emotional, Farrell is on top form and Gleeson as Ken is an avuncular uncle figure/mentor/friend to Farrell's troubled Ray. The ending is surprisingly touching and pulls no punches about what it wants to say. The scene with the 'Americans' in the restaurant was particularly funny, or Ray dodging the obese American chasing him for calling him an elephant. 4/5.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to trueborndjross)
Post #: 40
RE: In Bruges - 20/5/2008 12:22:17 PM   
RJNeb2

Terrific little film. Gleeson's always good value but the real delights were seeing Farrell finally raise his game back up to "Tigerland" levels, and Fiennes actually having lots of fun in his role - he can be SO serious. I really liked how un-PC it is - not many films dare to show dead kids these days - and how the banter flew as quickly as the violence.

And having visited Bruges several times, I can quite categorically state that it is anything but a shithole.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 41
RE: In Bruges - 8/6/2008 12:50:40 AM   
audidiesel

saw this when it first came out and again recently. quality movie. i thought it was brilliantly dark and funny. the language used is everyday normal language. people do swear that much in real life, that includes the c*nt word. so many funny scenes. i have to say the bit with the americans and the tower had me pissing myself laughing. excellant cast. brendan gleeson is one of the most underrated actors of his generation. colin farrell was excellant and fiennes looked like he was having the time of his life. maybe cut ten minutes off the run time but other than that fantastic.

"if you argue correctly, your never wrong" - Nick Naylor

(in reply to RJNeb2)
Post #: 42
Brilliant F***in Bruges - 3/7/2008 12:01:28 AM   
lynnshep

Loved this movie. Funny, profane, and profound. The way Ferrell treats tourists is how we all have secreted always wanted to. Gleeson and Fiennes deserve Oscar nominations. Funny and exciting.

< Message edited by lynnshep -- 22/7/2008 4:31:01 AM >

Post #: 43
Very Good - 11/8/2008 9:49:45 PM   
PaulJohn

Great Writing, Directing and acting. I really enjoyed it, especially Brendan Gleesons perfromance.

I highly recommend it :).

Post #: 44
best film this year (until Bond) probably - 13/8/2008 8:45:51 PM   
andy bark

Ohhh how lovely to go and see a film like this. a proper comedy that makes you laugh (even when you know you shouldn't). Best of all I knew nothing at all about it when I paid for ticket. It's like Withnail and I all those years ago. A film you really can love.

Post #: 45
Funny But With A Nasty Ending. - 14/8/2008 10:21:22 AM   
joanna likes films

In Bruges is a very rude, foul-mouthed, film with deep emotion and a little bit of history. There were some funny scenes that can make you laugh out loud, you can also feel some kind of affection to the two hitmen played by the brilliant Brendan Gleeson and the excellent Colin Farrell who is back to his best ever and he is back with a good kick. It's good to have this talented actor in the movies again after all he went through, I can't wait to see many more of his films in the future. The only problem with this was the ending, why has it got a really nasty way to end? It's supposed to be a comdey, not a bloodbath. I won't spoil it but you will cry in the end and it will never leave you very quickly. If they didn't do that and made a happier ending, I would have jumped for joy. But in all, a very good film that should have earned more attection around the world.

Post #: 46
RE: Overrated - 14/8/2008 7:25:17 PM   
maffew

"i do want him dead I want him fackin crucified but it still doesn't change the fact that he stitched you up like a blind fackin gay boy does it?"

that, was very good! been meaning to watch it for a while, had no idea what it was about and yeah, fucking great..

< Message edited by maffew -- 15/8/2008 11:36:28 AM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 47
RE: Overrated - 15/8/2008 8:12:24 AM   
Vito_Andolini

It's a brilliant film, right up my alley.  The comedy moments are surreal yet not ridiculous and I imagine I'll be quoting it forever.

Brendan Gleeson is, as always, fantastic however Colin Farrell is the standout.  His layered portrayal of Ray - a man who is most of the time a child in adult's clothes and at other times a victim of horrific inner demons - is masterful.  To be honest it's a performance I didn't believe Farrell had in him, now we know what Kevin Spacey was banging on about when he wowed about him on Ordinary Decent Criminal.

And credit to Ralph Fiennes who (just) manages to steer his performance of Harry away from being a Ben Kingsley rip-off.

One thing though, what was with the blink-and-you'll-miss-him appearance of Ciaran Hinds??

"Lunch Lady Doris, do ye have any grease?!"

"Yes, yes we do"

"THEN GREASE ME UP WOMAN!!"

"Okey dokey"

www.movieguys.org

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 48
RE: Overrated - 16/8/2008 10:19:58 PM   
Mr Underhill

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

If you want a kickass flick that doesn't leave a bitter taste in the mouth, go and watch NEVER BACK DOWN. At least it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is.

Just made my day.

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 49
In Bruges - Brilliant - 18/8/2008 11:22:39 AM   
livewire

Cracking Film. Watched it over the Weekend. Loved Farrell and Gleeson Bouncing off other. Loved the Park Scene. Farrell Should deffinately do more like this. Well worth a watch.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 – 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to Mr Underhill)
Post #: 50
RE: In Bruges - Brilliant - 18/8/2008 12:05:18 PM   
badassmofo

Watched this again on DVD this weekend, forgot just how good it is, sure to be in my top 10 at the end of the year and I think its rewatchability factor will be pretty high. My girlfriend really enjoyed it too. I especially love the perfect balance between comedy and tragedy that Martin McDonagh strikes with this also.

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 51
RE: In Bruges - Brilliant - 18/8/2008 8:04:24 PM   
rupert303

Saw In Bruges last night and loved it! A total surprise because it got patchy reviews, so I considered it a 'have a punt' movie…and as a confirmed Farrel-phobe I wasn't expecting much. Farrel, though, was by far the best character, got all the best lines and made the film – and I NEVER thought I'd say that.

It was described as Father Ted with guns earlier in this post, which I thought was pretty apt.  

The only thing I'd didn't like was the ending. It seemed too neat (ie: what happens to Ralph Fiennes) and betrayed Martin McDonagh's theatre heritage, having to rap everything up perfectly etc…

Would certainly recommend it, and it's rocketted firmly to my number-1-movie-of-the-year-so-far spot – TDK be damed!

< Message edited by rupert303 -- 18/8/2008 8:06:36 PM >

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 52
RE: In Bruges - Brilliant - 15/9/2008 9:27:51 AM   
MOTH

An offbeat thriller with a vicious streak of black humour, making for a slightly uneven but very entertaining watch. Farrell, Gleeson and Fiennes are all on top form and whilst the comedy and violence don't always sit comfortably together, this is still refreshingly un-PC and well worth catching up with. 8/10

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 53
RE: In Bruges - 15/9/2008 4:10:42 PM   
Dapper Dan Man

In Bruges is in my opinion one of the best films out this year. Its different to other films ive seen recently in that its not afraid to pull any punches in the political correctness area. At all. This is what makes In Bruges such an enjoyable film, as the foul mouthed charaters make the swearing  and violence very funny. Colin Farrell does well as the troubled hitman Ray, as does Brandon Gleesons portrayal of Ken who although he kills people, happens to be a nice guy. My favourite character has got to be Harry, the hitmens boss. The town of Bruges (its in Belgium) also deserves credit as some of the scenery used in the film such as the medieval bildings and all that, look really nice and are a good backdrop for the chaos thats about to ensue.

Do I go right or left?
You go right dont ya?. Jesus its a big fuckin canal.
Alright, ive only been here one day.

Overall its a great film that can be enjoyed more than once. Easily.

"Where you gonna put a tree that big?"
"Bend over and Ill show you"

Post #: 54
RE: In Bruges - 15/9/2008 4:20:04 PM   
RedCandle

i love this film about 300 times funnier than i expected. "your an inanimate FUCKING object" must be the best insult ever

Can you make me a birdhouse or something?

(in reply to Dapper Dan Man)
Post #: 55
RE: In Bruges - 15/9/2008 4:51:02 PM   
Sad Professor

Farrell's performance didn't surprise me one bit. I'd seen all of his films from Ordinary Decent Criminal to Miami Vice and I always thought he was a brilliant actor. Them tabloid years that he indulged in and had his agent cook up did him more harm than good with regard his credibility but hey it got him parts and money!

He was the best thing about Cassandra's Dream and I'm curious to see this new one with Ed Norton.
Also he's just finished 2 films this year - Triage about a troubled war photography and Ondine with Neil Jordan about a fisherman, his daughter and a mermaid ....

He's definately on the right path back to getting some of his street cred back .

Oh and he was hilarious in Bruges, I dont know if any non-Irish actors could have pulled off the lead roles.

(in reply to RedCandle)
Post #: 56
RE: In Bruges - 15/9/2008 5:07:03 PM   
Magenta

quote:

ORIGINAL: surveyofsociety

Farrell's performance didn't surprise me one bit. I'd seen all of his films from Ordinary Decent Criminal to Miami Vice and I always thought he was a brilliant actor. Them tabloid years that he indulged in and had his agent cook up did him more harm than good with regard his credibility but hey it got him parts and money!

He was the best thing about Cassandra's Dream and I'm curious to see this new one with Ed Norton.
Also he's just finished 2 films this year - Triage about a troubled war photography and Ondine with Neil Jordan about a fisherman, his daughter and a mermaid ....

He's definately on the right path back to getting some of his street cred back .

Oh and he was hilarious in Bruges, I dont know if any non-Irish actors could have pulled off the lead roles.

Ahh my new best friend,how do you do?
I knew from the minute the credits rolled after Tigerland he would become a notable star.
I took along a friend of mine to see In Bruges who was completly impartial to my insistance that Colin can act and let me tell you she had to eat humble pie after, much to her shame! 
I loved In Bruges black comedy at it's best and yet a very poignant tale, not a film I recommend to my mum mind

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 57
RE: In Bruges - 16/9/2008 4:14:22 AM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magenta

quote:

ORIGINAL: surveyofsociety

Ahh my new best friend,how do you do?
I knew from the minute the credits rolled after Tigerland he would become a notable star.
I took along a friend of mine to see In Bruges who was completly impartial to my insistance that Colin can act and let me tell you she had to eat humble pie after, much to her shame! 
I loved In Bruges black comedy at it's best and yet a very poignant tale, not a film I recommend to my mum mind

We're friends ? Since when :p
I'd recommend Phone Booth to anyone who was impressed by Farrell's performance in Bruges . It's a step by step lesson in acting and a real testament to his commitment and work ethic in them early hollywood days. I think he shot his scenes in 10 days and for an 80 odd minute film of which he's on screen for about 90% that would've been one serious challenge.

(in reply to Magenta)
Post #: 58
RE: In Bruges - 17/9/2008 1:12:25 PM   
filmburner30

Farrell was great and Fiennes showed he can add a touch a fun to his serious image.

But its Gleeson who always makes a film ,He is just ace as the Wolrd weary Hitman  who just wants to see the sights.

It would be nice if he got more lead roles like The General and this but whos complaining when the film is this good 8.5/10

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 59
- 28/9/2008 11:35:08 AM   
anakin73

loved it, i always though farrell had got too big too soon after phonebooth, here he stars in a smaller movie and blows us away. stay away from the blockbusters for a while colin and we're love ya for it.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Overrated Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI