Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

In Bruges

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> In Bruges Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In Bruges - 1/4/2008 1:44:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
In Bruges - 1/4/2008 1:44:21 PM   
moviemaniac2

The best part of this film is the wonderful city of Bruges. But the rest is severley lacking. The humour is based on Colin Farrell swearing and raising his eyebrows at every opportunity. There are some genuine comic moments, but they are too few as the pace of the film beings to lag after the first 30 minutes. As for Fiennes terrible hackneyed gangster - only Brendan Gleeson keeps this from being total rubbish. It's only getting great reviews as it's irish.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: In Bruges - 1/4/2008 7:16:18 PM   
thedrin

Excellent film. Have seen it twice already and enjoyed it just as much on the second viewing. Anyone who's ever found themselves on a sightseeing holiday they didn't want to be on will find lots of humour here.

Consistently funny throughout with some endlessly quotable dialogue, too. Good performance from Farrell and (as per usual) Gleeson.

Fiennes may not be playing Hamlet, but he's clearly having fun. Empire got it right - his charachter is very similar to Ben Kingsley's in Sexy Beast - but translating that charachter to a comedy (assuming I didn't completely misinterpert the tone of Sexy Beast all those years ago) works very well.

'I want a normal gun for a normal person'.

quote:

It's only getting great reviews as it's irish.

That's a discussion that probably shouldn't be engaged on here (if you yourself resort to Irish media for film reviews in which case I can see where you'd be coming from with respect to Irish films getting unusually good reviews), however I would say it's getting great reviews because it's really good.

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 3
- 2/4/2008 5:57:35 AM   
nc_jj

Post #: 4
Seen It - 4/4/2008 6:22:10 AM   
EnglishDaveGJ

I am a Brit living in small town in Colorado, where we get Empire (a couple of months late) at Borders. Anyway saw the tailer for this at the local multi-plex but the art-house theatre got it. Saw last Tuesday with my girlfriend and we loved it. I am not too good at movie reviews but here goes. The two central characters played off each other wonderfully. The secret is shocking and I thought Colin Farrel was excellent in his role. We both agreed this movie would nver have been made by Hollywood - there would have been a huge outcry over here about it. No stone is left unturned in this politically incorrect movie. And one moment you laughing, then you are almost crying and then you are shocked by the next scene. I never made it to Bruges and now my girlfriend wants to come to Europe with m and visit the place. Fiennes was brilliant as the archetypal London thug and yes, he did sound like Peter Cook. I would definitely recomend people back in England check this one out.

Post #: 5
RE: Seen It - 7/4/2008 10:04:21 PM   
skeletonjack

Like Father Ted, but with guns.
Very funny and highly recommended.
4 stars

(in reply to EnglishDaveGJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Seen It - 10/4/2008 11:12:40 AM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

The best part of this film is the wonderful city of Bruges. But the rest is severley lacking. The humour is based on Colin Farrell swearing and raising his eyebrows at every opportunity. There are some genuine comic moments, but they are too few as the pace of the film beings to lag after the first 30 minutes. As for Fiennes terrible hackneyed gangster - only Brendan Gleeson keeps this from being total rubbish. It's only getting great reviews as it's irish.
quote:

ORIGINAL: skeletonjack

Like Father Ted, but with guns.
Very funny and highly recommended.
4 stars

I couldn't help but laugh out loud at that one

I watched the film last night at the local multi-plex - I wasn't expecting much, but at the end of the day a free ticket is a free ticket. I ended up loving the film, and, seemingly like the rest of the audience laughing out loud every few minutes. I've never really been a huge Colin Farrell fan, but I thought the guy was hilarious in this, and as is to be expected, Brendan Gleeson was brilliant. The only problem I had was with Ralph Fiennes as harry, but after the suprise wore off, I managed to get used to it.

I'd deffinately recommend it to people, and I'll be looking out for it when it gets released on DVD - admitedly, not straight away, but when it comes into a 5 for 30" kinda range.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 7
Excellent - 14/4/2008 2:48:22 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Brilliantly unPC, overlty dark but still somehow hilarious film.

Post #: 8
Excellent - 14/4/2008 2:48:25 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Post #: 9
Excellent - 14/4/2008 2:48:32 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Post #: 10
Fucking triple post... - 14/4/2008 2:57:33 PM   
AboyNamedSue

sorry folks.

Post #: 11
Spot On - 15/4/2008 12:12:12 AM   
????

See above.

Post #: 12
- 15/4/2008 6:09:37 PM   
CameronJames

Great film, saw it about a week ago, loved it, but did anyone else think this 'review' was more a citique on the films reception by it's audience than the film itself

Post #: 13
RE: - 16/4/2008 12:37:52 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Very funny film that pulls no punches. Ace performences and a solid story but wasn't really expecting the dark tone of the last act. Although I guess it had to go down like that as it is a film about hitmen at the end of the day!! Top stuff.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to CameronJames)
Post #: 14
Empire Insensitive - 16/4/2008 3:53:13 AM   
klarkee

Since when is this film British, I think youll find that Ireland isnt a part of the British "Empire" and hasnt been for the best part of 80 years, has it taken this long for empires so called crack writers to cotton on to this fact, I may come across as nitpicky but i find this extremely insensitive I wonder how people would react if you classified a Indian film as being Pakistani or vice versa get your Facts right EMPIRE!!

Post #: 15
Empire Insensitive - 16/4/2008 3:57:51 AM   
klarkee

Since when is this film British, I think youll find that Ireland isnt a part of the British "Empire" and hasnt been for the best part of 80 years, has it taken this long for empires so called crack writers to cotton on to this fact, I may come across as nitpicky but i find this extremely insensitive I wonder how people would react if you classified a Indian film as being Pakistani or vice versa get your Facts right EMPIRE!!

Post #: 16
"British gangster movie"????? - 16/4/2008 11:20:53 AM   
Brenjamin

Brendan Gleeson - Irish
Colin Farrell - Irish
Martin McDonagh - Irish
Clémence Poésy - French
Bruges - A town in Belgium

I'm failing to see the British connection.

Post #: 17
"British gangster movie"????? - 16/4/2008 11:21:06 AM   
Brenjamin

Brendan Gleeson - Irish
Colin Farrell - Irish
Martin McDonagh - Irish
Clémence Poésy - French
Bruges - A town in Belgium

I'm failing to see the British connection.

Post #: 18
irish - 16/4/2008 2:50:56 PM   
the flick

this is an irish film

Post #: 19
RE: In Bruges - 16/4/2008 3:58:51 PM   
thedrin

... with British financiers.

Post #: 20
RE: In Bruges - 17/4/2008 11:04:56 AM   
badassmofo

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

... with British financiers.

Well Focus Features are a subsidery of Universal....

Anyway, fucking loved it, havent smiled that much in the cinema for ages. Only things that stop it being a 5 star for me are the sometimes ill-thought out sudden leaps in tone and the female character never quite convinced me. Overall though, the dialogue is some of the best I have heard in ages, Farrell and Gleeson are a joy together, Ralph Fiennes is quite extradoinary (his phone conversation with Gleeson was probably my scene of the film) and any film with a midget waging war against balck midgets is good enough for me!

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 21
RE: In Bruges - 17/4/2008 12:11:12 PM   
wombathog

A Brilliantly written and acted film.  And for anyone who didn't understand that Peter Serafinowicz Ralph Fiennes sketch - see this film and it'll become crystal clear.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 22
- 18/4/2008 2:59:05 AM   
JoseJones

The script is quite similar to Mamet, with great dialog, and excellent development of the characters, even the terse tourist, and his wife, who blows smoke in Colin's face in the restaurant... I liked the mystery concerning WHY these guys are in Bruges, and how the suspense and tension becomes elevated. The open air night scenes are lovely. The outdoor shots have amazing lighting and camerawork, which creates different effects, sometimes making the city seem ancient and foreboding, and at other times warm and inviting. My observation is that this could be easily adapted into a really wonderful stage play production, simply by having a copy of the screenplay and several local actors who are talented. Of course, it's well convenient you can just go to the cine and see this, now isn't it?? Excellent little movie.

Post #: 23
RE: - 18/4/2008 3:56:45 PM   
Gator

Like many Irish people, Martin McDonagh appears to have been born in Camberwell, London.

(in reply to JoseJones)
Post #: 24
Overrated - 19/4/2008 2:30:26 PM   
jace007

Do not be fooled by the gushing reviews that this is a quality gangster piece, because it ain't! If you want a feelgood movie of the same genre, you only need to turn to Lock, Stock, Snatch & L4yer Cake.

I saw In Bruges alongside Street Kings and would have to say, I preferred the latter. My gripe with IB is that it wants to be comedic in parts and strives to shock the audience with politically incorrect jokes, some of which are hit-and-miss. Also, do we have to see Colin Farrell cry more than once in this film? We get the guilt trip already, don't kill it. And I'm no prude, but why oh why did they over use the C-word here? Blimey, it became embarrassing after a while. And the last 20 mins pretty much can't decide if it wants to be funny or outright offensive and downbeat.

The only reason to see this once, is for Fiennes. His Harry and his swearing (minus the above point) and demeanour is a joy to behold - and yes, you're reminded of Ben Kingsley in sexy Beast.

If you want a kickass flick that doesn't leave a bitter taste in the mouth, go and watch NEVER BACK DOWN. At least it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is.

Post #: 25
RE: Overrated - 19/4/2008 6:15:19 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Both dark, brutal and very funny in parts.... a very intriguing movie with all three leads on top form

4.5/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 26
RE: Overrated - 19/4/2008 10:19:58 PM   
dracovir

Totally loved it.  Well scripted, well acted, well paced.  Everyone did their job in service to the story, no scene-stealing or scenery-chewing (which I half expected after seeing the trailer), some genuinely funny humor with some strong human characters.  I cannot find any real fault in the film, although I can see why some people might not like it.  Totally offbeat and excellent.  It's great that someone has the guts to show some everyday un-pc humour in a film.  The non-PC jibes are  hardly offensive and presented in such a manner that only those looking to be offended would be upset, and if you're going to watch a film billed as a comedy then it should be for the entertainment factor.  One of the best films I've seen yet this year.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 27
RE: Overrated - 19/4/2008 11:23:21 PM   
Indio

I loved it, a close call between this and There Will Be Blood for film of the year so far for me. The acting was uniformly excellent (although maybe Ralph Fiennes portrayal of Harry seemed to be veering into 'Sir' Ben Kingsley Sexy Beast territory on more than one occasion), Colin Farrell shows that he can actually act and is wasted in crap like Miami Vice, and as always Brendan Gleeson is great. 

The trailer is maybe a little bit misleading, there are numerous extremely funny moments buts its not really the film to go and see if you want a comedy with a happy ending, but its several notches above the usual shite gangster films we seem to be inundated with these days.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 28
RE: Overrated - 20/4/2008 12:02:16 PM   
Stalla

this was not the film I was led to expect...i still enjoyed it...but I was led to expect a fast paced caper set in a quaint little town. But this was far more depressing than that! Kind of like my experience of "the savages". I went expecting a comedy intertwined with a touch of drama, but by the time credits rolled and the lights came on I had tears in ym eyes and my mate was bawling like a baby!

I hate it when trailers mis represent a film. Granted, In Bruges wasn't exceptionally misrepresented, but I also saw a trailer for deception last night and it looks like a completely different film to the one the TV spots seem to be advertising!

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 29
RE: Overrated - 20/4/2008 8:48:38 PM   
Starscream

A bit slow but I loved it. It has a quick and witty script that is full of funny and snappy dialogue. Farrell and Gleason were very good but Ralph Fiennes stole the movie.

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> In Bruges Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI